Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think they are idiots to turn down anything over £65 million to be honest hes coming off the back of a very good season which he might not repeat or top. Hes a very good player but he is not better than Suarez imo. Keep Bale on his right foot and he is totally ineffective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Really starting to worry that FSG have no intention of spending any real money before the season starts. They haven't exactly ever been keen to put their hands in their pockets but when we're scrambling around signing more and more squad players when it's players to go straight into the first eleven that's needed, then their just doesn't seem to be any desire to improve the league position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Not a sniff of an English player this season. Loads of lads with tricky feet and mad names. Delish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Grayditch wrote: »
    Not a sniff of an English player this season. Loads of lads with tricky feet and mad names. Delish.

Not a sniff of any decent player really. The last English one we signed 7 months ago turned out to have the best start of any Liverpool player ever for goals. And a large chunk of people here were appalled at the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

daithijjj wrote: »
    Not a sniff of any decent player really. The last English one we signed 7 months ago turned out to have the best start of any Liverpool player ever for goals. And a large chunk of people here were appalled at the idea.

In the case of Liverpool, I think you could call that the exception that proves the rule

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Really starting to worry that FSG have no intention of spending any real money before the season starts. They haven't exactly ever been keen to put their hands in their pockets but when we're scrambling around signing more and more squad players when it's players to go straight into the first eleven that's needed, then their just doesn't seem to be any desire to improve the league position.

Jaysus there is still a month to go mate lol, Gone be with the days when pool used to just pull players out of a hat as a fait accompli and it would be lauded as being the Liverpool way, nowadays everyone wants to know the blow by blow of every negotiation or they s**t the bed.

Not everyone is as publicly want away as our Luis or Mikhi was with shaktar, maybe the "marquee"] signings we're currently in for are a bit classier and don't want bridges being burnt if things don't work out and so are showing and asking for a bit more disgression from all involved.

/clutching at straws

LiamoSail wrote: »
    In the case of Liverpool, I think you could call that the exception that proves the rule

Its not that long ago people were hailing Newcastle's approach, funny how that died down. Why were we not in for Cisse? etc. Would they take him now?. I've seen plenty of foreign names touted to come in who have gone elsewhere and also been bad signings.

Its not that long ago people were hailing Newcastle's approach, funny how that died down. Why were we not in for Cisse? etc. Would they take him now?. I've seen plenty of foreign names touted to come in who have gone elsewhere and also been bad signings.

I don't think newcastles transfer policy is what their problem is. There's plenty of decent players there, and last season given their quality, they shouldn't have been in the position they ended up in

It doesn't really matter a fcuk where they are from once they perform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Would hope we look at Michu he could be the ideal player in that he could cover sturridge and play behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

K-9 wrote: »
    Selling Insua was one of the dumbest transfer decisions of the last few years, and there's plenty to mention. Him and Kelly showed great potential at the time, the club needed to show patience with him.

Ah come on now insua was average at best i actually thought he was pure muck he had promise but never showed it with us maybe hes good now i dont know

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Alan Pardew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Ah come on now insua was average at best i actually thought he was pure muck he had promise but never showed it with us maybe hes good now i dont know

He was a wet behind the ears kid, who showed promise in some games, with a decent touch and a little pace and a good cross.

Then had with no real stability in front of him after Reira disappeared. Was exposed badly and cúnts got on his back.

Fúckin hate when a player is described as "muck" too.

I don't think newcastles transfer policy is what their problem is. There's plenty of decent players there, and last season given their quality, they shouldn't have been in the position they ended up in

When there is trouble in the dressing room because 'everyone' speaks French but the manager doesnt, then i would disagree that transfer policy is not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Anfield Online ‏@anfieldonline 1h
    Unbelievable crowd scenes in San Francisco as Everton land ahead of their overseas tour

Retweeted by Empire of the Kop

:D

• Advertisement

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Alan Pardew.

But he was there during the good times of 11/12 :pac:

When there is trouble in the dressing room because 'everyone' speaks French but the manager doesnt, then i would disagree that transfer policy is not a problem.

Arsenal over the last 15 years have been consistently top heavy with French speakers, and although the manager is French, implemented strict English speaking rules

Newcastles transfer strategy isn't perfect, but it's not inherently flawed either. I'd be of the opinion that they should expand what they are doing in France, to holland, Belgium, Poland etc

If you graphed Alan pardew's performance at pretty much every club he's managed, it would look like a graph of the Enron's share prices.

He's renowned for his motivational, American management style. This works initially, but in the absence of any depth to his management/coaching, eventually both performances and results trails off

Redknapp's Tottenham had a good season but I wouldn't say he's a great manager/coach.

From what I read from Newcastle fans on here during last season., Newcastle set up more defensively and they seem to play with a leash attached. Lot of their football was more counter hoof which is a waste of many of their players abilities - Sissoko, Cisse, Cabaye, Collocini (sp), Santon, Ben Afra, etc.

I also agree about the point made about too much of an French influence at the club. It can be a negative as well as a positive.

Arsenal over the last 15 years have been consistently top heavy with French speakers, and although the manager is French, implemented strict English speaking rules

Newcastles transfer strategy isn't perfect, but it's not inherently flawed either. I'd be of the opinion that they should expand what they are doing in France, to holland, Belgium, Poland etc

Very similar to when Rafa was here and the Spanish players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Haha Roberto

BQXmluzCcAAii6_.jpg:large

Arsenal foundation for success was a 100% English back 5. Wenger hasnt repeated that bedrock and hasnt won a sausage in 8 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Crouch trying to one-up Ayre. :D
    Robbie9Fowler Robbie Fowler 1h
    @KevHart_JC23 oh yes we can
    BQXYkEICMAAUp3q.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

AFAIK Liverpool also implement this with fines

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Arsenal foundation for success was a 100% English back 5. Wenger hasnt repeated that bedrock and hasnt won a sausage in 8 years.

There is so much wrong in that post I don't know where to start....look up the invincibles from 03/04.. pretty sure it was 2/5ths English and contained a certain Kolo Toure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

If you graphed Alan pardew's performance at pretty much every club he's managed, it would look like a graph of the Enron's share prices.

He's renowned for his motivational, American management style. This works initially, but in the absence of any depth to his management/coaching, eventually both performances and results trails off

Chris Hughton shafted for him, they're getting what they deserve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Go back and have a look at the invincibles back 5. Lack of success over the last 8 years was due to a major restriction in available transfer funds. That's changing and we'll soon be challenging again. That is tempered with a certain degree of frustration that business hasn't been conducted yet but still confident that the right purchases can be made.

I'd be of the opinion that's it's quality arsenal have lacked since then, not specifically English players

Tbh, I'm not entirely sure what point your making? I do agree that an abundance of one nationality can be detrimental, but I don't see the relevance of a pro-English player argument

We tried that, it failed miserably. Of course it's fair to say the issue was the players bought, not their nationality however outs been proven time and time again that the English tax simply isn't worth paying

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Redknapp's Tottenham had a good season but I wouldn't say he's a great manager/coach.

From what I read from Newcastle fans on here during last season., Newcastle set up more defensively and they seem to play with a leash attached. Lot of their football was more counter hoof which is a waste of many of their players abilities - Sissoko, Cisse, Cabaye, Collocini (sp), Santon, Ben Afra, etc.

I also agree about the point made about too much of an French influence at the club. It can be a negative as well as a positive.

Fair enough, still he got them in the CL.

Personally always thought Newcastle vastly over achieved in the league as they had nothing else to play in for months.

amber69 wrote: »
    Chris Hughton shafted for him, they're getting what they deserve

While I agree with the sentiment, football doesn't work on karma

• Advertisement

There is so much wrong in that post I don't know where to start....look up the invincibles from 03/04.. pretty sure it was 2/5ths English and contained a certain Kolo Toure

Indeed, Arsenal have really done well since they started having arguments with players like Ashley Cole over 5k a week pay rise and Dein bolted coz he knew what was coming.

greendom wrote: »
    Go back and have a look at the invincibles back 5. Lack of success over the last 8 years was due to a major restriction in available transfer funds. That's changing and we'll soon be challenging again. That is tempered with a certain degree of frustration that business hasn't been conducted yet but still confident that the right purchases can be made.

No offence but that has been the battlecry for many years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

No need to point out the invincible defence to you.

It's a better battlecry than ours :( plus they can spend 40 million on a player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Rumours Arsenal are coming again with a new offer tomorrow, and one that shows their 'real intent'

Leiva wrote: »
    Rumours Arsenal are coming again with a new offer tomorrow, and one that shows their 'real intent'

60m or fcuk off

It's a better battlecry than ours :( plus they can spend 40 million on a player

Dont start me on LFC. :pac:

Believe when you see it. I think the record xfer for them is still Reyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

He was a wet behind the ears kid, who showed promise in some games, with a decent touch and a little pace and a good cross.
    A little pace - surely you mean no pace whatsoever?

Insua was never going to make it in the Premier League because he lacked two attributes that were absolutely critical in this league.

1. He had no pace or agility whatsoever. No amount of training was going to fix that.
    2. His positioning and awareness was awful. How often did he concede silly free kicks because he was chasing players who got in behind him or because he left too much space available when we were countered?

The only reason for keeping Insua back in 2010 was because the alternative was much worse (Konchesky).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Dont start me on LFC. :pac:

Believe when you see it. I think the record xfer for them is still Reyes.

wiltord i think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Touche. Well played, sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The foundation for those glory days was that things were a lot less competitive and Chelsea and Man City didn't have billionaire owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well no Milk Cup on 981 :mad: It was on the EPG but they are showing Hungary GP again.

Portadown FC @Portadownfc 10m

Congrats to all the Portadown players involved in Co.Armaghs 3-2 victory over Liverpool tonight in the Milk Cup Premier section Liverpool missed a peno.

but in the Junior section LFC won 2-0 against Co Tyrone.

video of goals here
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=580874681963984&set=vb.129266083781664&type=2&theater

When players like Keown, Cole, Seaman and Parlour etc started to drift off id argue it ended that steel you never got back.

You havent won fk all since you let Cole walk out the door over 5k a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Leiva wrote: »

42,500,001 it is so.

Was just pointing out he had huge success without an English back 5 and it was after the one he inherited.

• Advertisement

When players like Keown, Cole, Seaman and Parlour etc started to drift off id argue it ended that steel you never got back.

We won the league and fa cup after they left and were 15 mins from winning the champions league.

I'd say it had more to do with failing to replace Viera and Gilberto than Ashley Cole in fairness. Just as we have never recovered from losing Xabi in 2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The foundation for those glory days was that things were a lot less competitive and Chelsea and Man City didn't have billionaire owners.

The lads Terry Henry and Paddy Viera played their part too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

We won the league and fa cup after they left and were 15 mins from winning the champions league.

Moral victories, Wenger loves them, then he can point to his saved money cash pile.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement