Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Was just pointing out he had huge success without an English back 5 and it was after the one he inherited.

I never mentioned the invincibles, you did. I said "the foundation for his success" was an English back 5, and it was. Having said that, he did still have the names i mentioned right?. Cole, Keown, Parlour, Seaman, Campbell etc around then or is that not the case?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I honestly can't see him going to Arsenal for anything less than stupid money - over £55 million. Voices and doubts are already being raised about FSG and their commitment to the club, if they were to sanction Suarez's sale to the one club we have at least a hope of overtaking for a top four finish, then things could turn very ugly, very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Reina has issued a letter to the fans.

People should be very angry about its content. However, they won't be :(

So many emotions having read that letter. Feel incredibly sad but so so angry. Disgusting treatment of someone who was such a big personality at the club. I am livid to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

So many emotions having read that letter. Feel incredibly sad but so so angry. Disgusting treatment of someone who was such a big personality at the club. I am livid to be honest.

Jesus christ lads, pepe was angling for a move to Barcelona.

If valdes hadn't stayed on as keeper, pepe would have been out the door in a flash.

Lets not re write history here, pepe should have just said goodbye to the club and fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

People may disagree but it's important to have a good spine of homegrown players.

One of the main reasons United have been so successful over the past twenty years is because of the base of British players they had.

Yes, there was intermittent challenges from Arsenal, Chelsea and City but these clubs could never achieve the longevity that Fergie and United did.

All the other team's title winning sides pretty much evaporated. They consisted of alot of foreign players who moved on fairly quickly.

Barcelona and Bayern are two other good examples of teams who's constant success is based around a homegrown core of players.

While players like Suarez, Alonso, Torres, Masch, Coutinho etc are massive additions, the truth is that these players rarely stick around for more than 3 or 4 seasons.

A team has much more of a chance of maintaining success it can unearth more players of the same ilk as Gerrard, Carragher, Keane, Scholes, Giggs, Rooney, Ferdinand, Neville etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ugh he wanted out and he courted Barcelona but Valdes decided to say. We were only his 2nd option. Club did the right thing they moved on a spent high earning player and replaced with a better, hungry keeper.

Also the way Reina says he was forced to go is bollox he has a contract he can happily stay in Liverpool if he wanted. Its PR stuff from Reina and as I said I expected better from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

daithijjj wrote: »
    I never mentioned the invincibles, you did. I said "the foundation for his success" was an English back 5, and it was. Having said that, he did still have the names i mentioned right?. Cole, Keown, Parlour, Seaman, Campbell etc around then or is that not the case?.
    With the invincibles? No they weren't still around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Reina has been a great servent to Liverpool, buts seriously he hasnt been on top of his game for a season or two and his wage demands are a huge drain on the club for someone who would have probably spend this season on the bench fluttering his eyes at Barca :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Not a sniff of any decent player really. The last English one we signed 7 months ago turned out to have the best start of any Liverpool player ever for goals. And a large chunk of people here were appalled at the idea.

My comment was definitely tongue in cheek. I wanted to give Sturridge time before making up my mind, and I'm glad I did. He was knocking in goals and I expect him to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

Leiva wrote: »
    Rumours Arsenal are coming again with a new offer tomorrow, and one that shows their 'real intent'
    40 million and one pound fifty :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The Reina letter in full.
    It is a strange feeling for me to think that next season I will not be a Liverpool player. For the past eight years, that is all I have known. The club, the staff, the city, the people and the supporters have played a massive part in my life.

Liverpool is special in a way that only those who are lucky enough to experience the club close up can understand. It has given me memories that will live with me forever and friendships that will last just as long.
    But more than anything else, it has given me an understanding of what it is like to play for the most wonderful English club. I may not have won as many trophies and medals as I would have liked since joining in 2005 but the experiences I have been a part of are as important as any silverware.

I now understand how supporters can lift a team and inspire them to do special things. I appreciate that there is something unique about Anfield and the atmosphere it creates. I believe that anything is possible no matter what the situation is because at Liverpool there is no such thing as a lost cause.
    And I have been humbled by the fight for justice for the 96 which showed me that the Liverpool people will always fight for what they believe in.

I know that I have been blessed to be part of a Club like that and I hope that in return I have always given my best and represented Liverpool in the right way. There have been good times and bad times but no matter what the situation has been I hope that my passion has been clear.

I have been asked what my favourite Liverpool moment was and if I had to pick one it wouldn’t be a save or winning a trophy. It would be my celebration against Manchester United when David Ngog scored a late goal. That is probably the quickest I have ever run in my life! It shows what playing for Liverpool meant to me and also that there was nothing better than winning a big game at Anfield.
    I used to look at the Kop when we scored those kind of goals in big games and I would be jealous of the supporters going crazy. If the closest I will get to that is running the length of the pitch and jumping on my team mates backs then that will do for me.

Obviously, I won’t be able to do that next season but I hope that the supporters and my team mates will be able to enjoy many more moments like that. They deserve the best of times and it would give me so much pleasure to see Liverpool back where they belong, challenging for trophies and getting back into the top four. That was where the club was when I first arrived and although I am leaving a different club, one with new owners, a new manager, new players and new challenges, I honestly believe that Liverpool can reach those levels again.

I am disappointed that I will not be part of that and although it was not my decision to leave I will accept it just like I have always accepted any decision that Liverpool have taken for me. They signed me, picked me, gave me some of the best experiences of my life and looked after me. If they feel that the best thing for me and for them is for me to go on loan to Napoli for a season then so be it. Napoli is a new challenge for me and I know that the fans are just as passionate about their team as the Liverpool fans, so I am really looking forward to playing for them this season and I will give my all.
    But if I have one regret, it is the way that I am leaving. It is only natural that I would be disappointed that the Liverpool management agreed to loan me to Napoli without telling me first, I thought that I deserved better than that even though I understand that difficult decisions have to be taken in football.
    A lot has been made about me informing the club that if an offer came in from Barcelona that I would have liked them to consider it. But I had also spoken to the club about the possibility of extending my contract if the offer was not made.

I told the manager that I wanted to play for Liverpool and that Barcelona would only become an option for me if the opportunity arrived, like the rumours said it would, as it would be a chance for me to go back home. When it didn’t come I was happy to fight for my place so I was surprised that Liverpool decided it was in the club´s interests to send me to Napoli instead.

None of this will change my feelings for the club or the people in any way and now I have to look forward to a new challenge with Rafa Benitez, who I consider to be the best manager I have worked with, and I am fortunate to be going from one great club to another.

Napoli remind me in many ways of the Liverpool I found in 2005, in all the affection they have shown me on my arrival, in having an ambitious project, even in coinciding and working with Benitez again…This memory which in part unites me with you, makes me happy and feel very motivated to begin this new project.

This is my chance to say thank you to everyone for everything that you have given to me and to my family. My children consider Liverpool to be their home and hopefully their love for the city and also for the club will only grow while we are away. I would have liked to have been able to say goodbye in a different way but because of the way the move came about this was not possible.

Maybe in the near future I can do it properly so that I can show my appreciation to you but all I would ask now is that you keep on inspiring the manager and the players just like you always have done and help Liverpool to become the club that you deserve once again. I would like nothing better than to come back at the end of my year away and for Liverpool to be back where they belong.

Thank you for everything. Good luck. I will see you soon.

Pepe Reina
    Love Pepe for his service to this club, but not sure what he expected. He came to the club making noises about wanting to sign for Barcelona, but then gets annoyed because the club made plans for life after him.

We won the league and fa cup after they left and were 15 mins from winning the champions league.

I never said he didnt have some success after these players mentioned. Short lived though wasnt it, from invincibles to nothing of note post 06?. I suppose we could argue all night about why that success stopped, stadium etc. Remains the case that the failure to go the extra yard and seek quality signings (that you most definitely could have got after 06) and instead punt for young players and a few bargains has, and is, shaping both our clubs.

With the invincibles? No they weren't still around.

My bad, i must have dreamt that Campbell and Cole were in that side that went unbeaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Leiva wrote: »
    Rumours Arsenal are coming again with a new offer tomorrow, and one that shows their 'real intent'

£40,000,004.50
    and it killed Arsene giving that extra 3 fiddy.
    Hope he either stays or goes to Real before the weekend so Arsenal can play Napoli in the Emirates Cup & look at Higuain playing for Napoli knowing they ain't getting Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

My bad, i must have dreamt that Campbell and Cole were in that side that went unbeaten.

Yes they were but they weren't in the defence that AW inherited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

What I think we have our wires crossed, you said that team still had keown seaman parlour around, I said it didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Originally Posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Jesus christ lads, pepe was angling for a move to Barcelona.

If valdes hadn't stayed on as keeper, pepe would have been out the door in a flash.

Lets not re write history here, pepe should have just said goodbye to the club and fans.

I love Pepe as much as the next fan, he has been in poor form but will still be a major loss in the dressing room as a leader BUT....does he honestly expect us to believe that he had no knowledge whatsoever of the Napoli bid before the club accepted it?! Call it tapping up or whatever you want, but I'd be shocked if Rafa didn't give him a call in advance to check if it would be something he'd be interested in. Two sides to every story...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I hope Spurs hold the line cos Suarez would be their other target I'm sure. Also if they sign Heartshapes then where does Ronaldo play? As a striker? Good as he is that would undercut one of his trump cards - pace over a distance cutting inside. Move him right? Can't see that, doesn't play to his right foot strength.

Nah they need Suarez more than another attacking winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

mike65 wrote: »
    I hope Spurs hold the line cos Suarez would be their other target I'm sure. Also if they sign Heartshapes then where does Ronaldo play? As a striker? Good as he is that would undercut one of his trump cards - pace over a distance cutting inside. Move him right? Can't see that, doesn't play to his right foot strength.

Nah they need Suarez more than another attacking winger.

If that was the case he'd already be kitted out in white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Twitter News...
    Kopwatch (@KOPWATCH) tweeted at 10:47 PM on Mon, Jul 29, 2013:
    Rodgers: "We are planning with Luis for the future because he still has three years left on his contract" #LFC

Peter Phillips (@PeterPhillips_) tweeted at 11:11 PM on Mon, Jul 29, 2013:
    @ozzylfc24 Has confirmed what I was informed.... LFC will be holding private medicals this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Jim Beglin was 50 today.

Jaysus im gettin old. I think i was at his home league debut with my uncle. He used rave about this irish lad who was going to be massive for us.

Happy birthday Jim

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

5live wrote: »
    Jim Beglin was 50 today.

Jaysus im gettin old. I think i was at his home league debut with my uncle. He used rave about this irish lad who was going to be massive for us.

Happy birthday Jim

Excellent full back in his day. Pity those skills didn't translate into commentary.

Or as I know him "shutupjimbeglin"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Twitter News...

Private medicals? What's that when its at home?

• Advertisement

What I think we have our wires crossed, you said that team still had keown seaman parlour around, I said it didn't.

My initial post was one about "foundation for success", not 'invicibles' or indeed 'success' after the back 5 split. I maintain im still correct there. Wengers foundation for success at Arsenal included an English back 5. There was a couple of years where it peaked (which still had 50% back 4 English) and then evaporated. I wasnt trying to make any other point. I only brought that up because people tend to scoff at signing English players. My personal opinion is that you wont ever achieve things in the EPL without a core of English players. Sign twinkle toes 'foreigners' all you want, Ferguson has pushed the boat out on English when the opportunity has arisen in the past. Nobody can argue with his strategy, it wins stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Really starting to worry that FSG have no intention of spending any real money before the season starts. They haven't exactly ever been keen to put their hands in their pockets but when we're scrambling around signing more and more squad players when it's players to go straight into the first eleven that's needed, then their just doesn't seem to be any desire to improve the league position.

Must be one of the top 4/5 spenders in the PL since they took over, I really don't have a clue where some people get this notion from.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

gafferino wrote: »
    Private medicals? What's that when its at home?

Some people think its medicals for Allen, Gerrard, Lucas, Borini and Kelly to assess them after operations/injuries.

Bolton Wanderers are still in pursuit of Jay Spearing, which is good to know.

Milk Cup Summary from the offy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Ah come on now insua was average at best i actually thought he was pure muck he had promise but never showed it with us maybe hes good now i dont know

He was way over played, similar to how Sterling was last season, at least he got a chance to get a rest in the second half of last season.

It really was a lesson on how not to handle an up and coming star from the academy.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

mike65 wrote: »
    Bolton Wanderers are still in pursuit of Jay Spearing, which is good to know.

Milk Cup Summary from the offy
    They can't even afford the £1.5M fee though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

They can owe us. G'luck Jay all the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Looks like we are indeed signing that lb on loan from benfica, always wanted robinson to get a look in but maybe another year on loan at a good club will help again hes still fairly young.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

BQYSVbdCQAEEgJG.png:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

lol...analbead testing factory :D On a serious note, wasn't he meant to be a bit crap for Benfica last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

lol...analbead testing factory :D On a serious note, wasn't he meant to be a bit crap for Benfica last year?

he was a right pain in the hole for opposing defences when he was able to penetrate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The gist seems to be that as a left winger he scores goals and has a lot of potential, but as a left back he's a bit rubbish.

Would make me wonder if he might be a Downing replacement. I really do feel we still lack searing pace in the squad, so if this guy has it, then it's something.

Also maybe there's a thought of using Enrique and Melgarejo the same way Barca used to use Oleguer and Belletti. Oleguer would start and play very well, but quite defensively, then if they needed an extra attacking impetus, Belletti would come on and add a huge extra threat to the right wing, overlapping Giuly. They only really did it when they weren't being threatened down that side and were controlling the game but just couldn't break through. Worked a treat very often though.
    A little pace - surely you mean no pace whatsoever?

Insua was never going to make it in the Premier League because he lacked two attributes that were absolutely critical in this league.

1. He had no pace or agility whatsoever. No amount of training was going to fix that.
    2. His positioning and awareness was awful. How often did he concede silly free kicks because he was chasing players who got in behind him or because he left too much space available when we were countered?

The only reason for keeping Insua back in 2010 was because the alternative was much worse (Konchesky).

Insua got a really really raw deal. He was thrown into the deep end way before he should have been, playing a rake of games at only 19/20. He actually was very fast and very agile, before all the extra muscle he put on so he could play against adults and not be shoved off the ball. He went from being a fast, slight kid to being a tank waaay too quickly, something the club should have been taking much better care of. He's a lot faster now than he was in that period with us (though not quite as fast as he used to be).

Had we bedded him in slower, instead of forcing him to make 30 league starts in a season clearly before he was ready, we could have had a great player on our hands. I'm glad to see that he's showing his ability now at least. We really, really mismanaged our use of that poor kid.

Also just on the Brad Jones thing from earlier, he's only made 135 professional club appearances. To put that in context, David De Gea - who is 9 years younger - has made 164.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

GTR63 wrote: »
    £40,000,004.50
    and it killed Arsene giving that extra 3 fiddy.
    Hope he either stays or goes to Real before the weekend so Arsenal can play Napoli in the Emirates Cup & look at Higuain playing for Napoli knowing they ain't getting Suarez.

That is so sad if I say so myself. So instead of just wanting to keep your star player, you are resigning to lose him. From reading this thread lately, it appears as though a lot of Liverpool fans would see selling Suarez to Real Madrid as a victory of somesorts over Arsenal. The end result your team will be severley weakened and be even further behind Arsenal than it already is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That is so sad if I say so myself. So instead of just wanting to keep your star player, you are resigning to lose him. From reading this thread lately, it appears as though a lot of Liverpool fans would see selling Suarez to Real Madrid as a victory of somesorts over Arsenal. The end result your team will be severley weakened and be even further behind Arsenal than it already is.

i think you missed a little bit of what you quoted - he said that he hopes Suarez either stays (at liverpool), or goes to Real soon. So he's hardly resigned to losing him.

And no, no Liverpool fans would see selling Suarez to Real as a victory of any kind over anyone. He shouldn't be sold to Arsenal full stop, that has nothing to do with Real or anyone else.

Nothing other than keeping Suarez is a victory. Losing him to Real is a defeat. Losing him to Arsenal is unthinkable and, hopefully, impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Personally I have been resigned to him going but I would get a good laugh out of him going to Real for a pound under 40m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

klose wrote: »
    Looks like we are indeed signing that lb on loan from benfica, always wanted robinson to get a look in but maybe another year on loan at a good club will help again hes still fairly young.

When Robinson came bnack from his loan last season, he said that the club discussed sending him out for all of this season. So bringing in someone on loan ourselves is a good plan, we get to make a more permanent call next summer whether to stick of twist...

delw wrote: »

I tend to agree. I think he summed it up perfectly - not always pretty, but effective. His goal and assist on Sun were great examples - not bistering pace or Suarez-like moves, but did the right thing both times, and led the line well. He's got something about him. I think he'll do well for us.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Personally I have been resigned to him going but I would get a good laugh out of him going to Real for a pound under 40m.

Plus 10M for good measure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

There's Twitter rumours we've agreed a 16m deal for Kyriakos Papadopoulos. Medical in a few days. Not sure how reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

There's Twitter rumours we've agreed a 16m deal for Kyriakos Papadopoulos. Medical in a few days. Not sure how reliable.

Is he worth that kinda money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

who has said this on twitter? whose the source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Cant see it unless Skrtel goes first.

Spurs being linked with Ilori this morning.

T-K-O wrote: »
    Is he worth that kinda money?

Haven't a clue man,don't know much about him but that video of himself and Samaras that was doing the rounds a while back is enough for me to want him :D

He's recovering from injury as well and buying injured players hasn't worked out too well for us in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Haven't a clue man,don't know much about him but that video of himself and Samaras that was doing the rounds a while back is enough for me to want him :D

He's recovering from injury as well and buying injured players hasn't worked out too well for us in the past.

Well, we definitely need a CB. I just hope this guy is up to the job.

• Advertisement

who has said this on twitter? whose the source?
    Greek Football ‏@greekfooty 53m Kyriakos Papadopoulos reported to be very close to a move to Liverpool. The reds have reached an agreement with Schalke at a 16m price

Like I said,don't know how reliable. Don't shoot the messenger etc :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement