Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

skywalker wrote: »
    Cant see it unless Skrtel goes first.

Spurs being linked with Ilori this morning.

Why am I not the slightest bit shocked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Cant see it unless Skrtel goes first.

Also rumours that Skrtel to Napoli may be agreed. Would make sense if both were to happen, so perhaps no smoke without fire?

Unfortunately, the Skrtel rumour is from someone a deputy editor at goal.com, not known for it's reliability...

Kyriakos Papadopoulos reported to be very close to a move to Liverpool. The reds have reached an agreement with Schalke at a 16m price

Twitter are stating the price as 16M pounds, but as it's from a Greek site, it's likely to be Euro, which is more reasonable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

There's Twitter rumours we've agreed a 16m deal for Kyriakos Papadopoulos. Medical in a few days. Not sure how reliable.

Hope he's better then the Greek centre half we just sold to west ham for £17m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Skrtel is close to agreeing terms with Napoli apparently.

we'd be stupid to make that sale if we didn't have someone like Papadopoulos lined up.

utterly thick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

mike65 wrote: »
    I hope Spurs hold the line cos Suarez would be their other target I'm sure. Also if they sign Heartshapes then where does Ronaldo play? As a striker? Good as he is that would undercut one of his trump cards - pace over a distance cutting inside. Move him right? Can't see that, doesn't play to his right foot strength.

Nah they need Suarez more than another attacking winger.

Heartshapes centre attacking mid would be where id put him.

SlickRic wrote: »

we'd be stupid to make that sale if we didn't have someone like Papadopoulos lined up.

utterly thick.

Very true, but unlike Suarez, there are quite a few CBs out there who could come in and take Skrtel's place. With Luis, the options are rare, harder to convince, and massively pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Melgarejo (another one I need to learn how to spell properly) and Papadopoulos are booked in for medicals this week, but also another attacking player ??? Oouuuu Messi at last!

Mike, do you actually HOPE Suarez leaves? I'm confused

Leiva wrote: »
    Melgarejo (another one I need to learn how to spell properly) and Papadopoulos are booked in for medicals this week, but also another attacking player ??? Oouuuu Messi at last!

I'd like if we got these two done (and got Robinson out on loan, and Skrtel out), and maybe we can take a little time on the attacker. If we think Luis will stay, then we don't need an absolute starter. If we expect him to leave, then it has to be something really special...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Papadopoulos would be sweet if is Skrtel is going.

I have seen 13M pounds mentioned a few times.

Does anybody know exactly whats going on with his injury?

Wonder who the attacking player could be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Edit: I'm an idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

We are linked with Osvaldo and the midfielder in Greece Maucho other than that it's fairly quiet on the attacking player front. So it could be someone from out of the blue, wonder have we gone back in for Eriksen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Mike, do you actually HOPE Suarez leaves? I'm confused

Is it me your addressing? Cos I've not opined on Suarez leaving (or not) for a while

If it is, my view is that players are tradeable commodities, you buy and sell them like cattle. You look for the best bred for the best low price when buying and sell when at maximum value in the market. For Suarez that's this summer. Moo!

(that and my belief that he is an ongoing time bomb who'll do the club some more damage yet be it on the pitch or not)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Why on earth would Suarez consider Spurs?

First he wanted to move somewhere he could build sandcastles, then it was anyehere away from the English press (Madrid), then it was anyone at all who could offer CL football (Arsenal). Some laugh if he wanted to go to Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Is it me your addressing? Cos I've not opined on Suarez leaving (or not) for a while

If it is, my view is that players are tradeable commodities, you buy and sell them like cattle. You look for the best bred for the best low price when buying and sell when at maximum value in the market. For Suarez that's this summer. Moo!

(that and my belief that he is an ongoing time bomb who'll do the club some more damage yet be it on the pitch or not)

The summer after he got a massive suspension for biting someone one? I don't think this is when is stock is at its potential maximum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

SlickRic wrote: »

utterly thick.
    look on the bright side

think of all those wages we will save!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Just thinking if its Papa, would that make sense out of why the rumoured medicals have specifically been called private medicals, rather than the usual ones at melwood.

Given our history with buying injured players, Id imagine were taking every precaution, or perhaps its even an insurance thing.

Having said all that Id still prefer to stick with our current options & Let him prove his fitness at his current club, rather than potentially waste 16m on another crock. We can always reassess in January.

Gmol wrote: »
    We are linked with Osvaldo and the midfielder in Greece Maucho other than that it's fairly quiet on the attacking player front. So it could be someone from out of the blue, wonder have we gone back in for Eriksen?

Moley was hinting about Jackson Martinez, but maybe that's contingency for Luis...

The summer after he got a massive suspension for biting someone one? I don't think this is when is stock is at its potential maximum

You missed the important bit (bite). One less year on his contract one more er black mark against his character, and who knows, he might just not be as good this coming season.

If he is still here come Sept 2nd it'll be because he failed in his escape bid. Most likely result of which is that he'll be plotting a January exit. I wouldn't bet on him knuckling down to the job at hand if that's how he is thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

You missed the important bit (bite). One less year on his contract one more er black mark against his character, and who knows, he might just not be as good this coming season.

2/3 of the above apply to anyone. Whatever you think, chances are we could not get in any players(s) who would make the type of on the pitch impact that he is likely to make this coming season.

Some of the random twitter crapola has been saying that we do have money to get players, but a lot of the players we are interested in are not interested in coming to us. Could well be made up totally, but it is plausible, and with an extra 40-50m that wouldn't change either, especially with only a month left in the window.

If he is still here come Sept 2nd it'll be because he failed in his escape bid. Most likely result of which is that he'll be plotting a January exit. I wouldn't bet on him knuckling down to the job at hand if that's how he is thinking.

I think he might be better, we ain't seen nothing yet!!!:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Dickerty wrote: »
    Also rumours that Skrtel to Napoli may be agreed. Would make sense if both were to happen, so perhaps no smoke without fire?

Unfortunately, the Skrtel rumour is from someone a deputy editor at goal.com, not known for it's reliability...

The Papa and Skrtel talk was on 91.2 a number of days ago. Put it up on here at the time. Someone from Schalke was being interviewed and they said there had been fresh contact from Liverpool regarding one of their players.

The Skrtel to Napoli rumoured move was also discussed, with the general concensus being that there had been some informal contact between Skrtel and Benitez.

The fresh wave of twitter rumours seems to have restarted since the radio interview at the weekend/end of last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Moley was hinting about Jackson Martinez, but maybe that's contingency for Luis...

Yes please!

J
    Given our history with buying injured players, Id imagine were taking every precaution, or perhaps its even an insurance thing.

If rumours are to believed the this will be Pap second visit to Melwood as it was said he was in the country a few weeks ago to meet us and Fulham, and we completed a preliminary medical due to concerns over his knee, concerns which are still very much there according to some:o

Where.what.when.where?:eek::eek::eek::eek: *insert gip destroyed pic here*

If rumours are to believed the this will be Pap second visit to Melwood as it was said he was in the country a few weeks ago to meet us and Fulham, and we completed a preliminary medical due to concerns over his knee, concerns which are still very much there according to some:o

Happy happy!

bing translation from Portuguese website
    Lorenzo Melgarejo, Paraguay of 22 left-back, is one step closer to becoming player of Liverpool, one of England's historic, that ensures the Benfica player for one season, on loan, and the option to purchase the pass in final at the end of next season. A lightning deal and somewhat surprising, given the recent integration of pre-season football, and last season, in which he was undisputed, but that serves the interests of Melgarejo, who was also coveted by Sampdoria, Italy. Now, the only thing missing is the agreement between the young and the Liverpool, which must be achieved with ease. In this way, Jorge Jesus now have two options to the left: Bruno Cortez and Sean. But Louie, who has trained with the B team, you can reenter the main squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Just thinking if its Papa, would that make sense out of why the rumoured medicals have specifically been called private medicals, rather than the usual ones at melwood.

Having said all that Id still prefer to stick with our current options & Let him prove his fitness at his current club, rather than potentially waste 16m on another crock. We can always reassess in January.

I think they always split the medicals beween thr hospital and melwood, id guess bloods etc are done in the hospital and zaf checks their hearbeat and sees if their knees bend correctly at melwood (judging on photos :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

ush wrote: »

Would not say no. There were a few on here who were namechecking him before he moved to Porto. Can remember them rating him very highly at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

If this is correct I wouldn't touch him, not for that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Private medicals are for trying to find football ability in Downing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

From that clip....omg omg omg....i want him all over my liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Is that greek player Paulo Machado from Olympiacos, the guy who joined them from Toulouse?

Ive seen one or two links to him and also to Elia from Werder Bremen. Dont know much about either tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Iago Aspas admits he has found pre-season training at Liverpool tougher than anything he's experienced before – but acknowledges that putting hard work in on the training pitches will be key to earning himself a starting berth this season.

The Spanish striker is one of four new faces at Anfield this summer, having joined the Reds from Celta Vigo last month - and has struck three goals in pre-season to date, including two on the Reds' summer tour.

Liverpool's players have undergone double sessions most days since beginning preparations for the new campaign, and Aspas concedes it's been hard work.

But he knows both he and his teammates will reap the benefits come the big kick-off against Stoke City at Anfield next month.

He told Liverpoolfc.com: "At the beginning it has been a little tougher than the sessions in Spain, but we know there is a little more running involved in this league.

"However, we do a lot of work with the ball and I think in that respect the sessions are very similar to back in Spain.

"I'm working hard every day to try and earn my place on the team sheet for the first game.

"From that moment on it's all about doing as well as I can and gaining in confidence to continue to keep my place in the side."

Aspas isn't the only new Spaniard at Liverpool - he's been joined by Luis Alberto, who arrived from Sevilla.

The duo have been welcomed to Melwood by fellow Iberian Jose Enrique, while the ability of manager Brendan Rodgers will further help their settling-in process.

"Luis has been a real source of support for me," explained Aspas. "Because we're the two new boys, we hang out and go everywhere together.

"Of course it helps a lot that the manager can speak Spanish - he gets by pretty well.

"Jose Enrique is the person who's helping out the most at the moment. He's Spanish like us, so he's helping us out with everything - finding a house, a car, translating training ground explanations...whatever it may be, he's there to help us."

Upon arriving at Anfield, Aspas was allocated the iconic No.9 jersey, previously worn by the likes of Ian Rush, Ian St John and Robbie Fowler.

Nonetheless, the 25-year-old insists the responsibility that will be placed upon his shoulders will not come from the number on his back, but the Liver Bird upon his chest.

"In Spain they don't attach so much importance to your shirt number as you do here in England, but I do know that simply by coming here I have the responsibility to return with interest the money the club has paid out for me," said Aspas.

"I can't wait for the first game at Anfield against Stoke City to be able to describe at first hand all the good feelings I have about this league."

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Would not say no. There were a few on here who were namechecking him before he moved to Porto. Can remember them rating him very highly at the time.

If we get him, Suarez will be out the door. Can't see them putting up with Suarez, when there's a player like Martinez around. Shame we didn't get him direct from Mexico though.

@Monkey Sponge
    Apparently Arsenal are still convinced that Luis Suarez does have a release clause in his contract and have their legal team looking at it.
    Can I just be clear that I meant Arsenal's legal team would be looking at the situation rather than his actual contract.
    But with Liverpool having confirmed the offer and if Suarez believes a clause has been triggered he will be entitled to have a legal team Look at the situation.

Once more if Arsenal have had a bid confirmed that's above a clause Suarez's team believe activates a release entitlement then of course his agent will inform Arsenal they have activated the clause. People need to stop thinking about the situation with their tribal hat on.
    Liverpool are adamant they are right. Likewise Suarez and Guardiola are adamant they are right. It's likely to go down the legal route
    Unless an amicable solution can be solved but suggestions are that Arsenal will not increase their offer of £40,000,001

Is it me or is Wednesday medical day at Melwood, usually seems to be the day something happens during the transfer window.

Re Jackson Martinez and from january 2012 http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2083390/Liverpool-hold-talks-Jackson-Martinez.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

klose wrote: »
    I think they always split the medicals beween thr hospital and melwood, id guess bloods etc are done in the hospital and zaf checks their hearbeat and sees if their knees bend correctly at melwood (judging on photos :D )

You forgot leaning against stuff check

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Isnt he in talks with Napoli for a move there?
    Looks class alright

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I hate saying this about Borini, as I certainly do see some talent there. Those finishes in the Euro U21, vs Newcastle last season (classy, instinctive finishes) and his all round play for Roma I liked. But... and I said this on Twitter, Osvaldo is the one we probably should have looked at over him. Lamela certainly at the time was unattainable and the same could be argued now I reckon too.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Like I said,don't know how reliable. Don't shoot the messenger etc :)

Greek Footy is a good lad, I've had a good conversation or two with him over the past year re: Mirallas and one or two other players. He does tweet Greek tabloid stuff too though, but when it comes to Greek Football, I can vouch that he's worth a follow.

Is my 2nd choice to Soldado and to Jovetic (when I wanted him for Dortmund). Would gladly have him here.

@Monkey Sponge
    Apparently Arsenal are still convinced that Luis Suarez does have a release clause in his contract and have their legal team looking at it.
    Can I just be clear that I meant Arsenal's legal team would be looking at the situation rather than his actual contract.
    But with Liverpool having confirmed the offer and if Suarez believes a clause has been triggered he will be entitled to have a legal team Look at the situation.

Once more if Arsenal have had a bid confirmed that's above a clause Suarez's team believe activates a release entitlement then of course his agent will inform Arsenal they have activated the clause. People need to stop thinking about the situation with their tribal hat on.
    Liverpool are adamant they are right. Likewise Suarez and Guardiola are adamant they are right. It's likely to go down the legal route
    Unless an amicable solution can be solved but suggestions are that Arsenal will not increase their offer of £40,000,001

I believe all this to be absolute b*llox. We wont be selling to Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

gafferino wrote: »

.... unless there's a release clause, which is the point.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    .... unless there's a release clause, which is the point.

...yeah but I dont think there is. I think its all bluster by Suarez and his agent or maybe Arsenal to get things going.
    Hence my use of the word 'believe' and not 'fact' :D

gafferino wrote: »

Unless we buy Soldado or Martinez. Then Suarez can be their headache.

Martinez is a goalscoring machine.

Would love him at Liverpool. Him up front, Suarez behind, Sturridge out right and inho o the left. GOALS GOALS GOALS!!!!!

feck that im not buying into Martinez rumour.

wont take the disappointment

Unless we buy Soldado or Martinez. Then Suarez can be their headache.

I am more than happy to have him as our headache....he can be a migraine if he wants!!

Directly strengthening our direct rival for 4th spot (given top 3 are sewn up pretty much) would be ludicrous. Yeah they can give us ludicrous money....but who the fup can we get when we dont have CL?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement