Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On the skytel loan thing(assuming its true) if we look back at out recent loaning history ,assuming we hadn't loaned Carroll to the Hammers for a season and instead insisted on a cash deal there and then, does anyone here actually believe they would have coughed up the 15 mill they eventually did.

Could be the owners are thinking along those lines , we can either get 7 mill now(which people here baulked at) or loan him and perhaps get 10 + on the back of a good season.

Exactly. We can hardly be demanding a good price for a chap we'll be deeming 4th choice if Papa comes in.

I'd be much more pissed off if we were just going with whatever short term cash we could get.

He's not a bad player, but the way we play now, there's a lot if space at the back. Defenders have to be incredibly diligent and focused at all times on movement, and he's just not capable of that. He looked disastrous last year. Put him in a flat back 4 with a CB 10 yards to his keft, and a RB 10 yards to his right, and he'll do you proud.

So for us he's no longer a starter, and has already spent the last 6 months on the bench, so, aside from Alan's "Fire Rodgers and everything will be better" approach, we have 3 options;
    1) Sell now for a low low price.
    2) keep him on the bench where he depreciates further, is more out of practice, and is pissed off.
    3) Loan him out to a manager who still rates him, who plays a system that suits him, so that he gets game time at a decent level and we can sell at a more realistic price next year.

The Aquilani nonsense has made us all a bit gunshy of loans I think, but that was a guy most of us felt should be starting every game. The Carroll deal is much closer to this - a guy who we knew can do better in a setup more suited to him, but who was coming off the back of an under performing season and so had a low value. That loan deal made us an extra 5 to 7 million pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I think the player himself has rubbished Sky's report already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

K-9 wrote: »
    That's why I don't buy the point made earlier that we'd have sold him anyway. He was just after having a decent few months, everybody thought he was going to Barca, club didn't want to wait around on them and bought Mignolet, knowing he'll probably go next year anyway if Barca are interested.

I think we'd have kept him, the whole Barca thing complicated it.

As for selling Skrtel, the club would have to pay him a substantial loyalty bonus as he only signed a contract last Summer, if he'd only go for £8-10 Million, not that much in it.

As for Rafa, that is his choice, he isn't always right and the club automatically wrong.

I dont really have an issue with the players going, i just sense some total panic in trying to get rid for the sake of getting rid. Its like the club doesnt have a pot to p1ss in. Ignoring everything else, how has this summer gone financially so far in comparison to when Hodgson had his summer at LFC?. When we had our backs to the wall with creditors?. I see no difference to be honest. Not talking about players. I think its symptomatic of this right now and it goes back to trying to force Henderson out for a couple of mil for me. All about money/wages and no sense of ambition/achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

I'm interested in what people make of our imminent loan signing, Paraguayan left back Lorenzo Melgarejo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Okay, I've missed about 20 pages since I last logged in this morn, too lazy to read it all. Anyone want to give me cliff-notes of today's news and rumors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Okay, I've missed about 20 pages since I last logged in this morn, too lazy to read it all. Anyone want to give me cliff-notes of today's news and rumors?

Same shit,different day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

No....:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Rumour of Skrtel on loan to Napoli. Mr. Alan thinks it's a great idea.

NukaCola wrote: »
    No....:p

Boo-urns!

• Advertisement

Rumour of Skrtel on loan to Napoli. Mr. Alan thinks it's a great idea.

Another fecking loan? What are we, St. Vincent de Paul?

Don't bother reading it. I think the football needs to start asap so we can start discussing football again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

twitter is hot at the moment with rumours that the Papadopoulous transfer is imminent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Don't bother reading it. I think the football needs to start asap so we can start discussing football again!

Thinking back on the aftermath of results against Villa at home and Southampton away I'm not sure the football discussion is much to look forward to either.

twitter is hot at the moment with rumours that the Papadopoulous transfer is imminent

If the club sign him it'll be a job well done.

Didn't Raif say the other day though that he's injured until the new year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't you read these pages? :p He is up and training on grass.

Thinking back on the aftermath of results against Villa at home and Southampton away I'm not sure the football discussion is much to look forward to either.

You'll have that after defeats, especially defeats like those.

mike65 wrote: »
    Don't you read these pages? :pHe is up and training on grass.

Fair play to him. That can't be too easy :pac:

I'd like to see this kind of player in the squad. Skrtel and Agger wouldn't have looked so bad at times last year if we had someone like him in the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pedalstool wrote: »
    I'm interested in what people make of our imminent loan signing, Paraguayan left back Lorenzo Melgarejo?

I make of him that he is not being bought in as a LB but to replace Assaidi, who seems to be off to Anderlecht (?). Looking at a few youtubes and articles from 2011/early 2012 he is clearly a handy speed merchant who knows where the goal is. Jorge Jesus seemed to make an error by trying to turn him into a full back. It didn't play to his strengths, and exposed his weakness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

september-9-11-attacks-anniversary-ground-zero-world-trade-center-pentagon-flight-93-second-airplane-wtc_39997_600x450.jpg

mike65 wrote: »
    I make of him that he is not being bought in as a LB but to replace Assaidi, who seems to be off to Anderlecht (?). Looking at a few youtubes and articles from 2011/early 2012 he is clearly a handy speed merchant who knows where the goal is. Jorge Jesus seemed to make an error by trying to turn him into a full back. It didn't play to his strengths, and exposed his weakness.

Dossena mark II ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Man up and read the 20 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

I didn't say he is Injured upto New Year. I said, that he might not Start until New Year.

He did go back to Greece to get some more Treatment on July 10, to reduce the Swelling on his Knees.

And based on Reports, he has only done Light Training. So still far from being Match Ready.

According to the Rumors, the Club has Setup a 2-Day Medical for him. If he Passes that one, I'm guessing Skrtel will be off.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

We should just loan out Suarez altogether. Think of the savings there! He might score 73 goals and be worth 70m next summer!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I'd like to see this kind of player in the squad. Skrtel and Agger wouldn't have looked so bad at times last year if we had someone like him in the team.

If he is available for that kind of money and willing to come Liverpool (the city) we should definitely get in there and gazump them. Seems like a lowball price.

5starpool wrote: »
    We should just loan out Suarez altogether. Think of the savings there! He might score 73 goals and be worth 70m next summer!.

Just not to Napoli....if they even look for him they are taking the p*ss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Decent player for the likes of Everton, but if we're looking at trying to break into the top 4, I don't think he'd be good enough.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Man up and read the 20 pages.

I would, but I know 90% of it is going to be people squabbling about the implications of some twitter nonsense which rarely turns out to be true :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Decent player for the likes of Everton, but if we're looking at trying to break into the top 4, I don't think he'd be good enough.

Are you Kidding me?

Gary Medel would Walk into our Midfield. For me, he's even better than Mascherano.

• Advertisement

I would, but I know 90% of it is going to be people squabbling about the implications of some twitter nonsense which rarely turns out to be true :(

Don't be a woman.

I didn't say he is Injured upto New Year. I said, that he might not Start until New Year.

He did go back to Greece to get some more Treatment on July 10, to reduce the Swelling on his Knees.

And based on Reports, he has only done Light Training. So still far from being Match Ready.

According to the Rumors, the Club has Setup a 2-Day Medical for him. If he Passes that one, I'm guessing Skrtel will be off.

If he's not fit until the new year I don't see the point in buying him now tbh especially after the nightmare scenario that was Aquilani. Signing injured players is a no-no.

Someone would probably argue that is was for the best!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I think you're being a tad harsh, but.... I do think he's overrated along with another La Liga favourite here, Adil Rami.

Sorry Kess :pac:

Just let me get the stats out, i will get back to you shortly about how this is a tremendous idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

BQcNaa-CMAA3TQW.jpg

:D

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Don't be a woman.

Liverpool-FC-produce-a-do-001.jpg

Tut tut.

In before better win percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

You'd swear it was Tony Barrett who reported on the Skrtel Loan deal by the amount of debating it's had.

I'll hold out until a reliable source says something.

• Advertisement

Liverpool-FC-produce-a-do-001.jpg

Tut tut.

I am glad you found that....I was getting a bit to close to ban territory for comfort.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Are you Kidding me?

Gary Medel would Walk into our Midfield. For me, he's even better than Mascherano.
    Ah come on now, Mascherano was probably one of the best destructive/defensive midfielders in the world until Barcelona wrecked him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

daithijjj wrote: »
    I dont really have an issue with the players going, i just sense some total panic in trying to get rid for the sake of getting rid. Its like the club doesnt have a pot to p1ss in. Ignoring everything else, how has this summer gone financially so far in comparison to when Hodgson had his summer at LFC?. When we had our backs to the wall with creditors?. I see no difference to be honest. Not talking about players. I think its symptomatic of this right now and it goes back to trying to force Henderson out for a couple of mil for me. All about money/wages and no sense of ambition/achievement.

If loaning Reina and whatever we do with Skrtel means we get an extra first team signing instead, that's a good thing?

Assuming we sign a CB and apparently the Mirror might say so tonight, we'd have Toure, Agger, Skrtel, new signing, Wisdom and Coates as options. It's a bit of a luxury for us at the minute, same as Reina.

If getting rid of them means a first team midfielder added, I can see the logic in it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

It doesn't matter to us as fans whether these players leave on loan or permanent transfer.

All that we should care about is the fact they are being replaced by better players.

If the reports are true, it seems we will be signing Papaputapluginit so that's Skrtel replaced.

I would like to see a back up keeper brought in though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

tok9 wrote: »
    You'd swear it was Tony Barrett who reported on the Skrtel Loan deal by the amount of debating it's had.

I'll hold out until a reliable source says something.

The Mirror has improved drastically. And Barrett is the club's lackey. He wouldn't dare report anything that would brew this kind of sh!tstorm. It might be nonsense but don't assume it's not just because it's not in The Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Exactly. We can hardly be demanding a good price for a chap we'll be deeming 4th choice if Papa comes in.

I'd be much more pissed off if we were just going with whatever short term cash we could get.

He's not a bad player, but the way we play now, there's a lot if space at the back. Defenders have to be incredibly diligent and focused at all times on movement, and he's just not capable of that. He looked disastrous last year. Put him in a flat back 4 with a CB 10 yards to his keft, and a RB 10 yards to his right, and he'll do you proud.

So for us he's no longer a starter, and has already spent the last 6 months on the bench, so, aside from Alan's "Fire Rodgers and everything will be better" approach, we have 3 options;
    1) Sell now for a low low price.
    2) keep him on the bench where he depreciates further, is more out of practice, and is pissed off.
    3) Loan him out to a manager who still rates him, who plays a system that suits him, so that he gets game time at a decent level and we can sell at a more realistic price next year.

The Aquilani nonsense has made us all a bit gunshy of loans I think, but that was a guy most of us felt should be starting every game. The Carroll deal is much closer to this - a guy who we knew can do better in a setup more suited to him, but who was coming off the back of an under performing season and so had a low value. That loan deal made us an extra 5 to 7 million pounds.

Agreed.

Rafa and Kennys style of play weren't too far apart and Rafa is obviously thinking he can utilize Skrtyl in the way that suits the player and his own system.

Atm its all rumour til we see statements from the clubs and even then...
    however it seems to be a smart move that will benefit all 3 parties as long as rafa plays him and skrtyl finds his form in a way that he never will in our system.

Obviously this only makes any sense with replacement incoming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

K-9 wrote: »
    If loaning Reina and whatever we do with Skrtel means we get an extra first team signing instead, that's a good thing?

Assuming we sign a CB and apparently the Mirror might say so tonight, we'd have Toure, Agger, Skrtel, new signing, Wisdom and Coates as options. It's a bit of a luxury for us at the minute, same as Reina.

If getting rid of them means a first team midfielder added, I can see the logic in it.

Rodgers is the one bringing up "experience" and "thin squad" lately, so he is either talking through his hoop or actually believes it. We will be losing Carra/Reina and probably Skrtel. Thats 3 experienced players at the back. Coates is not favoured and Wisdom is too young yet. Toure hasnt played much recently and is old himself. Given the amount of money taken off, i would consider Papadopoulos an absolute must (if its to be him coming in), not just a signing/first team player. Id argue we need one more CB at least. Put it this way, do you think its wise to possibly hold back on a possible addition to help out because you just cant shift Coates?. Imo the club has to be pro-active and not reactionary. If we are going to live in an existence like the one you say above, i dont believe that to be 'luxury' i believe thats a 'sell to buy' ship we are sailing on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Put him in a flat back 4 with a CB 10 yards to his keft, and a RB 10 yards to his right, and he'll do you proud.

Dunno why, but thought of this:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jul/30/manchester-city-human-rights-accusations

Seeing as the talk of ownership, direction and/or possible sale of the club has been going on over the last few days in here theres an article in the guardian about Mansour by David Conn, who wrote a pretty damning article about LFC and its behavior toward the residents around Anfield recently, which is a bit of an eye opener to myself anyway.

Could LFC fans ever really want money that dirty?
    I know one of the reasons I appreciate the Arsenal model is that they can now push on and challenge without having to live with the filth that comes with the billionaire oil and energy men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Even I amn't buying that anyone at the club is stupid enough to allow Skrtel to leave on loan to Napoli after allowing Reina to do the same. That kind of idiocy surely cannot strike twice.

Skrtel is a good player, capable of being very good. Selling him for such a menial fee would be silly. Loaning him would genuinely be retarded.

I do laugh at people like whatawaster scoffing at Skrtel/Reina going to Napoli as they're, "yea well they're not good enough for us anyway"........

Newsflash lads, Napoli are way better than us. They're in the CL. They're league challengers in Italy. Their manager is literally a thousand times better than our manager and they seem to have a load of cash to spend. Loaning them a player is enough of a joke, selling them another for a bargain price would be farcical. I refuse to believe we're that stupid.

If the manager at our club thinks that the players at our club aren't good enough for us so wants to move them on, yet a better manager, at a better team thinks they're good enough for them.....we clearly have issues with our manager. But I guess I'm not allowed say that, despite it being so incredibly obvious.

whatawaster, I'm curious is there any action FSG or our manager could take this summer that you would be critical of?
    Now look.

Its a discussion forum.

People disagree hugely on simple things and say many silly things.

But this is the second time you have used retarded to describe people who disagree with you.

I am starting to take exception to your use of language that isnt/shouldnt be tolerated in ANY discussion.

A small touch of cop-on would not go astray here!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement