Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I wouldn't have a problem with Sterling going out on loan. He needs games.

Could do him wonders.

Save us a few quid in wages too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

So this evening we're happy to loan out Sterling & Skrtel?! This thread has totally lost it's mind. People really must be incredibly confident that we've a shed load of players lined up for the next few weeks. Or else we really are at the point where we'll allow Rodgers/FSG do whatever they want & not criticise.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

Sterling going on loan = the likes of Downing likely to get more games

surely none of us want that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Luap wrote: »
    I think I'd rather Bale stay then Spurs getting the 85mil.

Not really.

Realistically, who can they sign right now when they're not in the CL?

Much the same targets as ourselves.

Now if they keep Bale this season, qualify for the CL, and then sell him for £85, they will be lethal in the transfer market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

Mr Alan wrote: »
    So this evening we're happy to loan out Sterling & Skrtel?! This thread has totally lost it's mind. People really must be incredibly confident that we've a shed load of players lined up for the next few weeks. Or else we really are at the point where we'll allow Rodgers/FSG do whatever they want & not criticise.

I'd be massively disappointed if we decide to loan Sterling. I think he has a massive part to play this season.

Skrtel going is fine if we are signing Papadopoulos. We don't need 5 centre backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Sterling probably isn't even going anywhere, but I am certain that Ibe can step into the role he had last season.

As for Skrtel, I assume we are getting a new CB like Papa in, if so, that would give us Agger, Papa and Toure. Three very good CB options.

Supposedly he played TOO MANY games last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Is it Borini?

Linked with Kalou all week weren't they?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

I think a season out on loan and regular games would do Sterling a lot of good. Hes not ready to start for us regularly yet but needs to develop and prove himself. Sitting on our bench isnt going to do him much good

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

In fairness, Rodgers needs to build his team. He looks back at last year and see's that Skittles wasnt doing the business, dropped him and we were the better for it.
    So the option of giving him a year with hopefully regular football under Rafa who has an excellent defensive policy, we could get back a rejuvenated player rather than having him peeling the half time oranges on the LFC bench.
    On top of that if we get someone who is touted as being a very talented player in Pappadopolous, who will also offer competition for Lucas, then it's a step forward.

With Sterling, we have nearly a replica player, who is more advanced physically, a better finisher with not as much experience in Ibe. I would think that getting regular games for Sterling on loan, and a few appearances for Ibe will enhance both players for our future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Sterling could be sold and it would be fine by me don't rate the chap at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

This evening random twitter nonsense says we are happy to loan out Sterling.

There hasn't been a single reasonable source to substantiate this

Sterling could be sold and it would be fine by me don't rate the chap at all

Wow, just wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I'd give or take Sterling too. Lightening pace but a bit headless. Don't be deceived by the English press bigging him up.

Regular Premier League football for a season will do him the world of good

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Surely there could be a better club to take Sterling on loan?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Multi directional sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

amiable wrote: »
    Surely there could be a better club to take Sterling on loan?

How bad do you rate West Ham? They came 10th last season. Only Swansea and West Brom are better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

NoelJ wrote: »
    How bad do you rate West Ham? They came 10th last season. Only Swansea and West Brom are better.

I think it's more to do with their style of play. A loan to Swansea would make more sense

NoelJ wrote: »
    It's more a style of football over where they finished.
    I know some think West Ham's style isn't as bad as made out.
    It's a pity he couldn't get a loan to Swansea

• Advertisement

What makes anyone think this is happening?

vague tweet from WHU owner's son, which in no way describes Sterling.

reported by The Moose - Talksport transfer nonsense merchant.

Loan him to Napoli :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Alan maybe you could post a list the players who you would be ok with being loaned out, so we can all get with your program and save what little hair you have left on your head from all this fretting you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I think there are only a few who have said this. It is a discussion forum .....it's gonna happen I don't know why you are getting worked up over it.

I don't want sterling loaned out.....I'd like to see him get some games with us and think he deserves them but I worry how much he will get. If it were to happen its not unthinkable or the end of the world for an 18 year old to go on loan to get more game time. I'd like to see him in our plans this season though I wouldn't want to have to rely on him yet as he's not ready.

Much much prefer if Skrtel was sold if anything is going to happen with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭madalig12

Lets just loan out everyone. They will all do better than at anfield and we can sell them for profit...problem solved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

madalig12 wrote: »
    Lets just loan out everyone. They will all do better than at anfield and we can sell them for profit...problem solved.

Who'll take the cat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Vydra is being linked with WHU, he is a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

K-9 wrote: »
    Well we have added to the squad, we have more options than this time last year and we've no EC now. As for experience, fat lot of good it did for the back 4 last year. Gerrard and Carra added experience, Skrtel was very poor and Agger just okay for me. Reina was poor for over half the season.

I'm assuming Papa will be in or similar plus at least 1 more first team signing. 3 CB's options would be gone, Carra, Skrtel and Wilson, I haven't read much about Coates and was thinking maybe he'd get another season, I'd find it hard to believe there'd be no interest in him. Wisdom did very well last year and I see no reason why he shouldn't be used in cup games at CB, to build on it, otherwise it might end up wasted.

As for proactive, I'd see signing Mignolet as proactive, not reactive. Selling or loaning Skrtel is hardly reactive either if they are getting a better replacement. I just don't see the point in keeping players like Reina and Skrtel if one was likely to be leaving soon and the other doesn't seem to suit the manager.

We have more bodies.......in attack. 2 of which have 40 odd league games between them in a top division anywhere. From last season we still have 2 unfavoured CB's and another one retired. Keeper replaced. That's it. Toure for Carragher in cancelling out each other imo.

Experience?. You are assuming we will do better this year i think. Our best player didnt want out last season, he does now.

Wisdom did 'very well' because there are very low expectations, and rightly so. Doesnt mean we are better in the slightest. Thats the point with transfer windows right? to get better?. Our first team isnt better. People can argue over marginal stuff, i can guarantee people Suarez isnt looking at Mingolet's stats and other players we go for will look at what we are doing overall. Well, if they have ambition they will.

I really dont see how we cant mix it Spurs financially, they are being pro-active and like it or not, we have to match them, at minimum. Looking likely they will have Paulinho, Chandli and Soldado soon. No CL there, probably close to 50m spent and only one notable left at end of contract (that i know of).........so whats their secret?. Id venture to say its having people making decisions who know the game and want (/have the know how) to achieve things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this thread has lost its marbles.

people need to get off Twitter for a while. seriously.

• Advertisement

daithijjj wrote: »

I really dont see how we cant mix it Spurs financially, they are being pro-active and like it or not, we have to match them, at minimum. Looking likely they will have Paulinho, Chandli and Soldado soon. No CL there, probably close to 50m spent and only one notable left at end of contract (that i know of).........so whats their secret?. Id venture to say its having people making decisions who know the game and want (/have the know how) to achieve things.

If Liverpool sign 40 million euro of talent on top of what has been spent will you relent? Or not?

Rodgers going on loan to Southampton apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I thought there was supposed to be some sort of announcement at 10:30?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

mike65 wrote: »
    If Liverpool sign 40 million euro of talent on top of what has been spent will you relent? Or not?
    We could just buy Carroll back from the hammers.

£35million spent.

Problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Just to clarify, I don't think we'll loan out Skrtel or Sterling. My point is merely that people here are trying to say that if we did, that'd be fine. That's my issue.

Just to clarify, I don't think we'll loan out Skrtel or Sterling. My point is merely that people here are trying to say that if we did, that'd be fine. That's my issue.
    Ben Smith has rubbished the Sterling loan to West Ham loan link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I can count on half a hand who did. Who said loaning Sterling would be a good idea?

Was this posted yet, from earlier today or yesterday

BQabjaKCUAApJlm.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Some people. Not all people. Probably more people were against than for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

You sound like you are under pressure or something. You should start reading posts in your Morgan Freeman voice maybe.

5live wrote: »
    We could just buy Carroll back from the hammers.

£35million spent.

Problem solved.

Ah that still leaves 5 million - Joe Cole?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

The mirror i know are saying suarez wont bring the club to court over the contract issue, has probably given up on that if true. Good news, its madrid or bust for him now me thinks and with all this bale talk he could well still be here next season

Unless we loan him or something....

You sound like you are under pressure or something. You should start reading posts in your Morgan Freeman voice maybe.

Answer the question put, that's all I ask of a fellow contributor to this thread.

If you go running I'll draw the only conclusion I can

Mike has a Morgan Freeman voice?

Supposedly we want Papahowyafixed on loan initially until his injury concerns clear up.

Serious.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Mike has a Morgan Freeman voice?

Only when I'm The Presidents of the USA

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Loans you say?
    Liverpool have made a fresh approach for powerful Greek international defender Kyriakos Papadopoulos.

Yet lingering concerns over the highly-rated Schalke centre-half's long term knee problem, have complicated negotiations, as the Reds try to thrash out fail-safe guarantees in any deal.

It is understood Anfield boss Brendan Rodgers - first linked with Papadopoulos in May - would ideally like to take the 21-year-old on loan initially, with a guaranteed fee of around £12million to be paid if he erases all injury doubts.

Germans Schalke would prefer the cash up front, but accept they may have to compromise over a defender who has been sidelined since November following surgery on a serious knee ligament problem.

Papadopoulos is finally back in training, with his club releasing a brief update on his condition on Tuesday, confirming his return to a full training programme and adding that he is ready to join his team-mates in contact work in the coming days.

The defender admitted his relief at clearing this latest hurdle in his comeback.

"It was a great feeling to be back... even though it was very tiring, " he said. "I make progress every day and am happy that I will soon be able to train with the team again."

Reports in Greece have claimed a deal is close, with the defender ready to prove his fitness in a full medical within the next 10 days, but so far no agreement has been reached with Schalke.

The arrival of Papadopoulos would allow Martin Skrtel to pursue the move he suggested at the end of last season he may need to reignite his faltering career, and he has been linked with a similar loan move to Napoli that Pepe Reina has just undertaken.

Liverpool however, are insistent they will not even consider a temporary deal for the 28-year-old Slovakia international, and will only allow the centre half to move if they have a replacement secured.

Should they agree terms for Papadopoulos though, they would listen to offers of around £10million for Skrtel, who fell out of favour after a series of inconsistent displays in the first half of last season.

Rodgers wants a more commanding defender, in the mould of the now-retired Jamie Carragher, and sees Papadopoulos as a potential long-term replacement for the Anfield stalwart.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfers-kyriakos-papadopoulos-schalke-2106035

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Grayditch wrote: »
    I can count on half a hand who did. Who said loaning Sterling would be a good idea?

There were one or two alright but then that's all Alan needs to go off on one .

Speaking of Loans is there any chance we can loan Alan to the United thread I hear they're looking for a bit more aggression in midthread , he could be their new midthread general in the mould of Keane and tell them all how rubbish their opinions are :pac:

amiable wrote: »
    Ben Smith has rubbished the Sterling loan to West Ham loan link

just in case anyone doubts this
    Ben Smith @BenSmithBBC 18m

@CalvLyfeson I am told the Sterling to West Ham line is wide of the mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Was this posted yet, from earlier today or yesterday

BQabjaKCUAApJlm.jpg:large

Yesterday afaik. Same pic was on another site last night.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Grayditch wrote: »
    Nobody was offended by the gifs, they just made skiving off work awkward.

No offence, but you don't know the half of it. You only saw what was said on here :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement