Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

SlickRic wrote: »
    i agree.

how often do you see those at the "top table" taking in a lot of loans though?

Is Real Madrid "Top Table" enough for you?

They've loaned Players in, from City and Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

i'm sorry, but no.

we cannot go into a new season with just Agger and Toure as our experienced CBs.

Kelly is completely untried there really, and Wisdom only a smidgen more so.

a CB is absolutely paramount.

Johnson played there a few times, no? Not for Liverpool but for West Ham maybe?
    Anyway don't have to worry about cover outside of Wisdom, as the health science has improved so much under Rodgers. Just look at Agger and Gerrard last season.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That's a winning attitude right there!

:confused:

Is this guy Assaidi's replacement? Big shoes to fill tbf.

Seeing as we are he loan kings, we might get a backup keeper.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    It also would potentially indicate that we may not have any substantial monies to spend.

Or maybe that we are a bit wiser with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Leiva wrote: »
    I'm not desperate for any sides or split thank you.

but its plain to see the divide, and shít flinging contest in here. can you not see it?

There is no big divide. The majority of posters on here will just go with what their opinion is at a given time. Very few posters, if any, on here are of the exact same opinion on everything LFC related.

The fact that people even talk about divides and sides is cringeworthy, and suggests that some on here might even see another username as some kind of nemesis, or a group of usernames as nemeses.

I can find myself agreeing strongly and disagreeing strongly with the same poster within 10 minutes. But I would struggle to find one non troll that I would disagree with all the time. The idea of being on a different side of some imaginary divide is laughable to me.

Personally the only Nemesis I want to see is a warlock that likes to scrap with Torquemada.

CREEDO.
    :pac:

Mind you, the mention of the word nemesis is always a good excuse to put up this brilliant little short film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Isnt there a restriction to the amount of loans a premier league club can make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Johnson played there a few times, no? Not for Liverpool but for West Ham maybe?
    Anyway don't have to worry about cover outside of Wisdom, as the health science has improved so much under Rodgers. Just look at Agger and Gerrard last season.

Are you a gambling man?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

It also would potentially indicate that we may not have any substantial monies to spend.

Potentially, but Napoli have sold a striker recently for over 50m, yet they're after loaning some Spanish keeper from an English club, does that equate to them having no money????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Grayditch wrote: »
    Somewhere on Benfica forums, the fans are probably asking, "Sorry, we're doing what?"

they're not in this instance.

many of them think he's shíte.

loans can be fine, ok, but I really want to hear of us making some actual signings that will improve the team.

i'm genuinely getting quite impatient. so sue me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

i agree.

how often do you see those at the "top table" taking in a lot of loans though?

Madrid, dortmund, arsenal and napoli this year all recent examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Andriy Voronin is a decent loan example - signed as a free was a bit rubbish. Sent on loan and had good year at Hertha Berlin and then sold for 2 million to Dinamo Moskva

they're not in this instance.

many of them think he's shíte.

loans can be fine, ok, but I really want to hear of us making some actual signings that will improve the team.

i'm genuinely getting quite impatient. so sue me.

I think one signing of quality in the coming week would be like a pressure release valve for sections of the support. Would be genuine quality in and would also raise the hope that more will follow.

Right now I think we are two short (although more would of course be better) from making the kind of improvement we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

mike65 wrote: »
    Andriy Voronin is a decent loan example - signed as a free was a bit rubbish. Sent on lone and had good year at Hertha Berlin and then sold for 2 million to Dinamo Moskva

His yearly wage was > 2mil though, probably had a sign-on fee also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

nicol wrote: »
    I want one of those shirts!! Is that wrong??

Yes because they're pyjamas tops

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Kess73 wrote: »
    I think one signing of quality in the coming week would be like a pressure release valve for sections of the support. Would be genuine quality in and would also raise the hope that more will follow.

Right now I think we are two short (although more would of course be better) from making the kind of improvement we need.

Hmmm are you ITK? I dont think the left back/winger lad counts :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I've heard this many times and it irritates me. In Agger's case, the season before last pretty much the only games he missed were due to knocks picked up in matches, such as a broken rib (twice if I recall properly). That is not due to any improvements in conditioning. We still suffered injuries last season, Lucas, Allen, Borini and Kelly were all fairly long term injuries, and we will this season. Gerrard/Agger could get something in the early games that rules them out for 2 months easily, and to say it won't happen as 'we have improved our sport science'.

It is an imperfect science, at best, and any attempts to improve player conditioning and reduce susceptibility to injury are to be welcomed, but it is too small a sample size to be judging it on just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Like a marquee signing? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

joe123 wrote: »
    Yeah was kind of joking there! :P A lot of LFC supporters were giving out that we were loaning everyone out. Yes even one lad I know was going ape that we were loaning out Coady ffs.

Loans are grand, but Id still like to make a few permanent signings. We are being linked with an initial loan deal for Papadopulous aswell. IF we could get his club to agree to that it would be some business.

Have him on loan, see if hes over his knee trouble and then sign him permanently next season.

Im still wondering what are FSG doing with this supposed 25 million we were going to spend on Mhikataryan though. Is Gaitan still at Benefica? Send him along with this left back and it would be happy days!

We are not even being linked with someone at this stage around that price bracket and theres only a few weeks left now :(

Maybe the marquee signings we're in for have a little more class then Luis and Mikhi (with shaktar), and have decided not to burn bridges with their clubs supporters by being publicly want away incase things fall through. Just because we're not getting a blow by blow does not mean there is nothing happening, so quit your fretting, your hairline will thank you.

2 quality signings that would improve the first 11 would ease the stress of a fair few around here,
    although those 2 in would also involve Suarez staying put. If he goes its the 2 above + 2 to replace Suarez imo

8-10 wrote: »
    His yearly wage was > 2mil though, probably had a sign-on fee also

Don't ****ing nit pick - you see the point I was making. I'm making a point about the loan! (is it any wonder people get exasperated on this thread?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Potentially, but Napoli have sold a striker recently for over 50m, yet they're after loaning some Spanish keeper from an English club, does that equate to them having no money????

In the scenario, the player himself doesn't want to commit longer that a year, as he has his heart set on a different move.

I think we will see more and more loans. Wages have risen to the point where, for a 3 year deal, the wages are likely to cost more than the transfer fee. And the transfer fee is often paid in installments anyway. So if you are short in one position (FB) and long in another (GK), and you can solve both for a season while you look at your options, where's the harm?

Hidalgo wrote: »
    2 quality signings that would improve the first 11 would ease the stress of a fair few around here,
    although those 2 in would also involve Suarez staying put. If he goes its the 2 above + 2 to replace Suarez imo

Of course. Have long said that we need to bring in 1-2 players of genuine quality this summer, and a further 1-2 if Suarez leaves.

We have brought in one player of quality so far this summer imo in Mignolet, but we badly need some genuine quality to be added to the outfield positions.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Houllier should have kept him. :(

Re anelka phil Thomson said that every time he scored his agents at the time (his brothers) were contacting every club in Europe trying to sell him again, Houlier got fed up of it. AFAIK he sacked them sometime later.

Of course. Have long said that we need to bring in 1-2 players of genuine quality this summer, and a further 1-2 if Suarez leaves.

We have brought in one player of quality so far this summer imo in Mignolet, but we badly need some genuine quality to be added to the outfield positions.

This is it in a nutshell.

Like a marquee signing? ;)

Haha

But no. I want to see genuine quality come in. If that happened in the form of a marquee signing then great, but the two terms are not mutually inclusive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Another day, another meltdown!

Some people need to calm down. If we're bringing in a loan signing with an option to buy - then there's no problem there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

do we all agree that in reality,cold light of day stuff.. we are only fighting for 4th spot,the others have too good of squads and too much money ?

or do some believe that we should realistically challenge for title win regardless of the above?

forget about the past,or where we should be yadada ..huge club etc etc.. does anyone think we can mount a title challenge in the forthcoming season? given those ahead of us and factoring in suarez staying and maybe papa signing aswell??

myself,i believe we can only make a challenge for 4th,thats the hard reality of the times our club is in ..

before any martyr comes in and says how dare i say our club should not challenge for title etc etc .. its been 20 years we have gotten close twice in that time.. reality sat in long time ago,bar benitez we have never looked like challengers in a long long time, my blinkers are off .

of course i start every season with renewed optimism like most,but if i stand away and have a look at it i can see the reality,and thats a push for 4th ... if we get above 4th be a massive achievement .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Some people need to calm down. If we're bringing in a loan signing with an option to buy - then there's no problem there.

This thread, and the previous one or two beforehand, have been pretty unenjoyable at times because of meltdowns and pointless arguments.

Football can't start soon enough.

I'd be shocked if we finished above 4th. Either Rodgers got everything perfect or someone else got it completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

5starpool wrote: »
    1 thing we can all agree on is that the above cat gif is an all time great for the LFC superthreads, up there with 'Horse on Big Ball', 'One in the hole you say?' and my personal favourite, 'Mick McCarthy get frightened by nothing'.

Sure why not...

1326219353_cat_pushes_friend_down_stairs.gif

Horse-Exercise-Ball-Fail.gif

jpza5k.gif

1477737_o.gif

• Advertisement

Exactly!

Imagine if he was bought for 12M and he suffered the same fate as Borini's First Season. Lots of Injuries, and couldn't perform on the few occasions he featured.

I bet you, that the same People moaning about the Loan, will be the same People moaning how we wasted the Money.

Moaning about a Loan with an Option to Buy is Stupid beyond Belief!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I think "meltdown" is an exaggeration about the discussion about the loan in.

barone wrote: »
    do we all agree that in reality,cold light of day stuff.. we are only fighting for 4th spot,the others have too good of squads and too much money ?

or do some believe that we should realistically challenge for title win regardless of the above?

forget about the past,or where we should be yadada ..huge club etc etc.. does anyone think we can mount a title challenge in the forthcoming season? given those ahead of us and factoring in suarez staying and maybe papa signing aswell??

myself,i believe we can only make a challenge for 4th,thats the hard reality of the times our club is in ..

before any martyr comes in and says how dare i say our club should not challenge for title etc etc .. its been 20 years we have gotten close twice in that time.. reality sat in long time ago,bar benitez we have never looked like challengers in a long long time, my blinkers are off .

of course i start every season with renewed optimism like most,but if i stand away and have a look at it i can see the reality,and thats a push for 4th ... if we get above 4th be a massive achievement .

As the squad stands right now I think getting fourth would require some serious overachieving. I think the squad right now is one that could win a EL slot rather than a CL slot if it gels well.

Now my own personal expectation for the coming season is to see the team be able to compete for a top 4 slot right into May, but without the addition of genuine outfield quality that task becomes an uphill one.

Talk of titles would be nonsense because the team as it stands is simply not good enough, and some the players in the squad who may once have been good enough for a title challenging team are not at that level anymore.

Some quality additions between now and the end of the window would make the idea of a genuine CL spot challenge a realistic hope. No further quality additions turns that notion into an against the odds type hope.

I know I would be much happier going into this coming season thinking that we had a chance to get a CL slot rather than hoping we get a chance to compete for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

keane-exit.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The Express are linking ourselves and Dortmund with Salomon Randon. Never heard of him.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/418617/Liverpool-suffer-Dortmund-threat-for-Rubin-Kazan-star-Salomon-Rondon

****ing criminal we didn't sign him last summer.

He went for **** all to Rubin in the end.
    I'm sure the wages were a factor but the early season may have gone very differently if we'd gone the extra mile to get him.

barone wrote: »

Anyone that thinks Liverpool can mount a title challenge is living in some sort of fantasyland.

Right now, if they're in the race for 4th with 3-4 games left in the season, that's as good as it will get. Only way I see that changing is if signings are made. If players are lost, it becomes even more unlikely

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

5live wrote: »
    Its the whole useage of the word directed at anybody that get on my goat.

Its in the pic of the words not permitted for use by any players in the club.

I spend some time working with special needs adults and words like that being acceptable in any form is frankly unbelieveable.

Too ****ing right. Don't expect much change though.
    Grayditch wrote: »
    Dya mean people were flagging the posts, etc?

Somewhat.

5starpool wrote: »
    I've heard this many times and it irritates me. In Agger's case, the season before last pretty much the only games he missed were due to knocks picked up in matches, such as a broken rib (twice if I recall properly). That is not due to any improvements in conditioning. We still suffered injuries last season, Lucas, Allen, Borini and Kelly were all fairly long term injuries, and we will this season. Gerrard/Agger could get something in the early games that rules them out for 2 months easily, and to say it won't happen as 'we have improved our sport science'.

It is an imperfect science, at best, and any attempts to improve player conditioning and reduce susceptibility to injury are to be welcomed, but it is too small a sample size to be judging it on just yet.

Regards Kelly, haven't they not found the root to his problem due to his posture and should be seeing some improvement here.
    Borini and Allen were knocks picked up in matches, same as Agger so according to your logic they would rule each other out for either of us using them as a point in our argument.
    Lucas can shed some doubt on it for sure but he also was coming back from one the most serious injuries a footballer can get.

Johnson also played the most games he has for Liverpool in a season last year. There has been definite improvement in the fitness side and Rodgers and helped here, with for example individual programs for each player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Maybe the marquee signings we're in for have a little more class then Luis and Mikhi (with shaktar), and have decided not to burn bridges with their clubs supporters by being publicly want away incase things fall through. Just because we're not getting a blow by blow does not mean there is nothing happening, so quit your fretting, your hairline will thank you.

Anything perceived as negative gets pounced on, yet nonsense like the above goes by without comment?

So we're not aware "marquee signings" because in addition to being top players, they're just all round good guys! :rolleyes:

I can't remember the last time a top class player moved without there being a period of the press reporting interest/talks etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Regards Kelly, haven't they not found the root to his problem due to his posture and should be seeing some improvement here.

I'm fairly sure I read this also. Isn't that why he bulked up a bit. They had found and made improvements in his posture. So he spent the rest of the time in recovery and building strength

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Any news today on big poppa ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Anything perceived as negative gets pounced on, yet nonsense like the above goes by without comment?

So we're not aware "marquee signings" because in addition to being top players, they're just all round good guys! :rolleyes:

I can't remember the last time a top class player moved without there being a period of the press reporting interest/talks etc.

Maybe it's his delivery and only posting it once that makes it less likely to get pounced on

ricero wrote: »
    Any news today on big poppa ?

Depends on who you Believe.

The Echo says, that its still far from happening.

While the Journos from his Country, say its already done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

raphael honigstein ‏@honigstein

Papadopoulos update from Schalke: "No offer has come in". Release clause €20m.

if true...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

murpho999 wrote: »
    Maybe it's his delivery and only posting it once that makes it less likely to get pounced on

No, I don't think so. I think it's because it's positive & feeds other peoples hopes/delusions that it's acceptable.

• Advertisement

if true...:(

A clip of Horst Heldt speaking about the coming season was on 91.2, and what he said was "No bid has come in that we deem acceptable" He went on to talk about how if an acceptable figure is offered then they will regard it as a bid.

Does not mean we will get the player or anything like that, but it reads differently than the portion of the quote the journo put up on twitter.

Even Raf Honigstein is just another hack at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Too late for me. My forehead is developing nicely, thank you.:)

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Don't take Honigstein word as gospel. Gets as much wrong as he does right these days it seems.

mike65 wrote: »
    Even Raf Honigstein is just another hack at the end of the day.

In fairness he had a very decent track record once upon a time and seems to be very good at evaluating players, but I will take an actual interview with the General manager of the club over any outside versions of what was said.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement