Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Kess73 wrote: »
    Five years ago did you think Liverpool would regress in the manner they have done? Keep in mind that five years ago would have us just before the start of the 08/09 season.

I definitely did not see it coming. And I see the point you are making though I would counter it by saying that from Houllier all the way through to 2010 I never doubted that we were going in an upwards direction even if it was a slower and wavier course than I would have liked.

In the same way, City's march to the top was inevitable right from the purchase of Robinho on. There was no doubt they'd climb the mountain.

It's all about whether a squad is improving or not at the end of the day. While many on here would fiercely contend we have a much better squad now than two summers ago I really am not that sure. It might be younger and cheaper, but it isn't hard to argue that we're as far off it now as we were then.

==================

As an aside, none of Reina, Carragher, Gerrard, Kuyt, Mascherano, Benayoun and Torres ever played as well for us again as they did in 2008 / 9 (I know Masch and Benny only played one more year). Hyppia, Arbeloa and Alonso were massive losses from the mix in different ways. It's a squad that fell off a mountain. Some of it was money, some of it was managament, some of it was age, some of it was circumstances unforseen - but some of it was just unlucky and impossible to plan for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Five years ago did you think Liverpool would regress in the manner they have done? Keep in mind that five years ago would have us just before the start of the 08/09 season.

Honestly, no, not as much.

Of the current top 4 I think Utd are the most likely to still be there in 5 years, if Chelsea & Citys owners upsticks both of us will be in the shitter, Arsenals revenue stream is huge they should still be in and around too depending on their transfer strategy though.

Liverpools tumble down to 6th-8th place finishers while not frightening is something I was surprised with if im honest but if everything continues as normal, Chelsea/City money, Arsenal improving, Spurs pushing and Utd being Utd its going to be a farly long 5 years of frustration, but in football nothing is certain I guess.i

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

5starpool wrote: »
    Even if we magically had a 60k stadium tomorrow, we wouldn't come close to matching Utd or Arsenal in matchday revenue as the corporate market they have is far, far bigger, and that's where a lot of the revenue is generated. Liverpool tickets are also far dearer than other clubs in the north west, especially after the recent rises, and a large section of the local support are being increasingly priced out of attending matches regularly it seems, and also a smaller catchment area than utd/Arse as well. If we had a 60k stadium available for this season, I don't think we'd fill it every game by any means, although I'd imagine the average would be over the 55k mark, so it would be worth doing.

It's not all that will be required - the young players we're signing now, their develoment, and the manager we employ will all need to be top notch as well to get us back to being regular challengers if we're not going to go down the sugar daddy/f*ck FFP route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Liverpool have to improve to catch the teams above them and also hope that one or more falls away and in a 5 year time frame I cant see Arsenal, Chelsea, City & Utd falling to far and thats not even counting Spurs who could easily break into the top 4 next year.
    We're already improving. Compared to this time last year, the squad is in much, much better shape. Arsenal and United haven't signed anyone yet. Chelsea have signed a few players, but none of them wow me. The only team in the top 4 that have improved materially in this transfer window is Man City. Between Negredo, Jovetic, Navas and Fernandinho, they certainly look stronger. The Manchester United situation is interesting. The core of their team is getting quite old (Ferdinand going on 35, Vidic going on 32, Carrick going on 32, RVP going on 30, Evra 32, Giggs going on 90, etc.). I think Moyes simply won't have the respect to be able to wring out the performances that Fergie got last season. It'd wouldn't surprise me at all to see United battling for 3rd/4th this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Leiva wrote: »
    True Kess but our implosion happened at probably the worst year in the past 20 that it could have.The perfect cluster****.

Chelsea, City - no chance in the next 5yrs of catching.

UTD - massive implosion needed but big revenues to shore up

Arsenal - possible chance but this window will set tone for next couple of years.
    Absolutly critcal we do not add Suarez to their ranks.

Spurs - have a squad that is at least two seasons of improvement ahead of us and have also added another layer of quality this window. We are still well behind.Need AVB to be poached and them to not click.

So out of the above list we will only be scrapping for 4th (3rd at best) for the next <decade.
    We will either need to do a BVB style revolution which I doubt will happen, or we get a massive investor so we can go to the market a sweep up some real talented players.
    If we try and continue on our current course/policy then its between midtable and 5th for the forseeable years.

The point is that five years ago we were a fairly settled top 4 team, and just about to start our best league campaign in decades.

No way would anyone have thought that five years later we would be an upper midtable team, and that Spurs would look miles ahead.

A season can be a long time in football let alone five years. Hell at the end of the 08/09 season did many expect us to drop to that upper midtable slot by the end of the following season?

As healthy as some of the teams above us look right now on and off the pitch, things could change quickly at any of them, and they could end up being in a similar position (leaguewise) despite nobody seeing it coming.

What Gav asked is if anyone could see any of the teams above Liverpool regressing in a five year period. Using Liverpool (and many other clubs as the yardstick) then I would have to say that it is very possible that one or maybe two of the teams could regress in such a timeframe. In fact I would say that it is very unlikely that in five years time we are looking at the exact same top five teams still in place.

The point is that five years ago we were a fairly settled top 4 team, and just about to start our best league campaign in decades.

No way would anyone have thought that five years later we would be an upper midtable team, and that Spurs would look miles ahead.

A season can be a long time in football let alone five years. Hell at the end of the 08/09 season did many expect us to drop to that upper midtable slot by the end of the following season?

As healthy as some of the teams above us look right now on and off the pitch, things could change quickly at any of them, and they could end up being in a similar position (leaguewise) despite nobody seeing it coming.

What Gav asked is if anyone could see any of the teams above Liverpool regressing in a five year period. Using Liverpool (and many other clubs as the yardstick) then I would have to say that it is very possible that one or maybe two of the teams could regress in such a timeframe. In fact I would say that it is very unlikely that in five years time we are looking at the exact same top five teams still in place.

This come back to what I said this morning though: holding course and waiting for other to **** up is pretty grim strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Don't like the way BR is putting out a come get me for Suarez to Arsenal it should be hands off attitute, can't be selling him to one of our rivals. It looks now more then likely when Suarez throws all the toys out of the pram Arsenal will be waiting for another improved bid by a few million and Liverpool will have no choice but to accept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

We're already improving. Compared to this time last year, the squad is in much, much better shape. Arsenal and United haven't signed anyone yet. Chelsea have signed a few players, but none of them wow me. The only team in the top 4 that have improved materially in this transfer window is Man City. Between Negredo, Jovetic, Navas and Fernandinho, they certainly look stronger. The Manchester United situation is interesting. The core of their team is getting quite old (Ferdinand going on 35, Vidic going on 32, Carrick going on 32, RVP going on 30, Evra 32, Giggs going on 90, etc.). I think Moyes simply won't have the respect to be able to wring out the performances that Fergie got last season. It'd wouldn't surprise me at all to see United battling for 3rd/4th this season.

in fairness theres no point in us even mentioning United, Chelsea and City. They operate at a different level to us in terms of quality over the course of a season. There is one spot available and thats Arsenal's. And thats a massive "if". They always come good when it matters in terms of securing Champions league.

We need to start looking over our shoulders. Everton, Swansea, Newcastle etc...

You may laugh, but the gulf in class between us and the likes these 3 is smaller than the gulf between us and the top 4. It will be a huge battle for us to top the league outside of the top 5 (including Spurs).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I agree things can change quickly. What i do not agree with is that Spurs and Arsenal are miles ahead of us.

Better, yes but they can be caught and sooner rather than later, providing we continue to develop the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I think the insinuation is that it will cost the manager his job in time by virtue of bad results such is the importance of Suarez.

Even just keeping Suarez and the addition of the new signings feels like threading water for me. Was really hoping we would see some serious additions to last seasons squad, but unfortunately it doesn't look that way now

To even contemplate having the same squad last season was unthinkable, never mind have a weaker squad.

The problem is without CL we can't attract these types of signings as much as we want to. Its not the managers fault. If its down to us and a CL team, we may lose out even if we offer more money. RE: Micky

Possibly losing Suarez give's us a weaker first 11, not a weaker squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

in fairness theres no point in us even mentioning United, Chelsea and City. They operate at a different level to us in terms of quality over the course of a season. There is one spot available and thats Arsenal's. And thats a massive "if". They always come good when it matters in terms of securing Champions league.

We need to start looking over our shoulders. Everton, Swansea, Newcastle etc...

You may laugh, but the gulf between the likes these 3 is smaller than the gulf between us and the top 4. It will be a huge battle for us to top the league outside of the top 5 (including Spurs).

Look at how Chelsea fell out of the top 4 2 years ago and almost did last year.
    It's very possible.
    Also look at how Spurs have finished 4th twice in the last 4 season without massive investment - just smart purchases helping them to cope with the losses of their big players.

We have a lot of good young players, that is our biggest hope for the next 5 years. I'd be very excited about the prospect of Wisdom, Sterling, Ibe, Suso, Coutinho and others in the coming years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

5 years is a life time in football. In that time I expect Sterling, Ibe and Mclaughlin (who will all be 22-24) to be international footballers and first team regulars tearing up the league. We don't have the finances to compete with the others so we are going about it another way. Granted we have to keep adding some quality along the way, but if we can replace Suarez with two first team players (Midfield/Striker) I think we will be in as good, if not better, position than we are with him.

Also, something I still can't understand. Why oh why did we ever move Gerrard deeper? :( He played such brilliant, brilliant football at times behind Torres during 2008 - 2010. We then spent two years misusing him and hurting our essential balance as a result with him sitting deeper. Three managers in a row now who have done it too. I think last season was his best in a few years because he's really only learned to live in the role a bit better at this stage. He should never have been moved from that slot (not until his legs gave out anyway) because the other players we put in there to play it could never lace his boots in the role.

We're already improving. Compared to this time last year, the squad is in much, much better shape. Arsenal and United haven't signed anyone yet. Chelsea have signed a few players, but none of them wow me. The only team in the top 4 that have improved materially in this transfer window is Man City. .

Not to take it too far off topic but we've improved on last year on a few positions.

Lukaku for Ba/Torres
    Schurrle for Marin
    De Bruyne for Yossi
    Van Ginkel potentially for Mikel

What makes us even stronger that none of the above are 100% to start next season.

City have done well to get in Jovetic, the rest arent that great, IMO but theyve certainly bolstered an already very squad.

Utd and Arsenal still have moves left in them as well which will alter their squads for the better IMO, I also agree on Utd, their squad is ageing but its still quality and it shouldnt be too far off with Fergie done but Moyes does have a huge job of getting the best from them, its going to be an interesting couple of months.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Also, something I still can't understand. Why oh why did we ever move Gerrard deeper? :( He played such brilliant, brilliant football at times behind Torres during 2008 - 2010. We then spent two years misusing him and hurting our essential balance as a result with him sitting deeper. Three managers in a row now who have done it too. I think last season was his best in a few years because he's really only learned to live in the role a bit better at this stage. He should never have been moved from that slot (not until his legs gave out anyway) because the other players we put in there to play it could never lace his boots in the role.

+1

T-K-O wrote: »
    I agree things can change quickly. What i do not agree with is that Spurs and Arsenal are miles ahead of us.

Better, yes but they can be caught and sooner rather than later, providing we continue to develop the squad.

If Arsenal and Spurs were to standstill while we improved our squad then yes we would logically catch them.

But we are always playing catch up. The teams above us will undoubtedly improve also. Spurs for instance are more improved a than we are already with their signing of Paulinho.

its very frustrating that we cannot address problem areas of the side at the same time. Say we are strong at the back and we need a striker, by the time we fix our problems up front its taken so long that now we need to fix the defence. Its always the way at Liverpool.

If only we could unwind the clock to January 2011 when we sold Torres for 50million. And we could spend that money again, along with the spree we went on the following summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

This come back to what I said this morning though: holding course and waiting for other to **** up is pretty grim strategy.

Not suggesting that at all, and don't know why you think I am when I did not say so.

I was replying to Gav asking if anyone thought the teams above Liverpool might regress in the next five years and my opinion is that one or two of them may well do during a five year period.

At no point did I suggest that waiting for the others to slip up was a strategy, but I think it would be pretty foolish to assume that the top five are firmly in place for the next five years and that none will regress.

I would expect one or more to drop in quality, but I would expect Liverpool to be trying to catch them based on the strongest versions of those clubs rather than waiting for one or more to falter.

Basically I want Liverpool to be doing all possible to get better, and to try to be breaking into that group of teams as they stand now, but also to be in aposition to take advantage of any regression like some of those teams did when Liverpool began their league slide in the 2009/10 season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

3 years ago we were days away from bankruptcy and relegation. Big habit in here comparing how we are now to how we were when we were on the up. Compare how we are now to 3 years ago.

I agree, the 4th place spot is going to be what we're contesting for (along with Arsenal and Spurs). I just think United will surprise everyone by being even weaker than expected.

• Advertisement

Anyone wrote: »
    3 years ago we were days away from bankruptcy and relegation. Big habit in here comparing how we are now to how we were when we were on the up. Compare how we are now to 3 years ago.

Okay. We're as far off it now as then? Financially we're in a better position, but the squad was probably a touch stronger in the summer of 2010.

no doubt we'll hear about that fact for some time to come in order to dampen expectations.

we have signed many multi million pound sponsorship deals and spend a good few million on players in the intervening period to safely say we are beyond the threat of administration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

If Arsenal and Spurs were to standstill while we improved our squad then yes we would logically catch them.

But we are always playing catch up. The teams above us will undoubtedly improve also. Spurs for instance are more improved a than we are already with their signing of Paulinho.

its very frustrating that we cannot address problem areas of the side at the same time. Say we are strong at the back and we need a striker, by the time we fix our problems up front its taken so long that now we need to fix the defence. Its always the way at Liverpool.

If only we could unwind the clock to January 2011 when we sold Torres for 50million. And we could spend that money again, along with the spree we went on the following summer.

Please don't go there, I can't take anymore.

Arsenal IMO are going nowhere. OK, they are talking like a big club in relation to Suarez but lets see who they actually sign.

If these new kids settle into the squad and provide some cover for the starting 11, IMO we are only 2/3 players behind a serious challenge for the CL

T-K-O wrote: »
    Please don't go there, I can't take anymore.

Arsenal IMO are going nowhere. OK, they are talking like a big club in relation to Suarez but lets see who they actually sign.

If these new kids settle into the squad and provide some cover for the starting 11, IMO we are only 2/3 players behind a serious challenge for the CL

Just like last summer. Or the summer before. Or the summer before. Slight changes in details, but this is the third year in a row where we're saying 'if X happens we'll just need Y to craic the CL'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

ade08da7-0d42-41b9-aab4-61d7fa8273f9

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Not to take it too far off topic but we've improved on last year on a few positions.

Lukaku for Ba/Torres
    Schurrle for Marin
    De Bruyne for Yossi
    Van Ginkel potentially for Mikel
    All decent players, but are they top 4? No one can say yet. Nearly all the players that City bought though are top 4 (maybe Negredo might be a top 5-6 Premier League player though).

• Advertisement

Just like last summer. Or the summer before. Or the summer before. Slight changes in details, but this is the third year in a row where we're saying 'if X happens we'll just need Y to craic the CL'.

by the time these "new kids" settle in as good cover then we'll need to replace the next crack in the glass that hasn't even raised its head yet. You would swear our first team is amazing and its just a matter of rounding off the squad in order to compete. Some of our first XI should be squad players, and allow proper quality take their spot in the first XI. thats how you build a squad. You don't buy someone of a little less quality to put the heat on an underperformer. You put the underperformer on the bench and sign someone better.

Liverpool haven't seemed to grasp that. When was the last time we signed 2-3 players in a summer who were undisputedly better than what we already had in the first XI?

When was the last time we signed 2-3 players in a summer who were undisputedly better than what we already had in the first XI?
    You mean like a marquee signing? :cool:

All decent players, but are they top 4? No one can say yet. Nearly all the players that City bought though are top 4 (maybe Negredo might be a top 5-6 Premier League player though).

Id say Lukaku is, hes a real talent and De Bruyne and Schurrle arent to far off it,as is, Van Ginkel wont play much I reckon but hes still young but the a thing to remember is they're all full internationals and will add to the squad which is the main thing for me.

I suppose my main point was we;ve added better quality then we had last year when we finished 3rd, now we have a better squad and a better manager then both Rafa and RDM we should improve, its also a 2nd year in English football for Hazard, Oscar, Azpilicueta who'll all be starters I reckon.

Our 2013/14 squad is a better overall squad then our 2012/13 squad but I do fear City and if Pellegrini can get them going they could very well do it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

In the next 5 years there will have been unforeseen things that do happen.

- It might be that finance in football has changed and there are less revenues available (although this is unlikely in a 5 year timeframe anyhow).
    - It might be that Abramovich/Mansour either decide to move on from their project or get assassinated or who knows what else.
    -It could be that Moyes makes a real balls of utd and they are suddenly propelled backwards to the 70 points mark for a while and haven't got in someone who can turn it around quickly.
    -It might be that Liverpool have/will sign or bring through the ranks some gems of players who turn out to create a golden generation, as it were, and we organically get back towards the top of the table.
    -It might be that Arsenal become the powerhouse that Wenger has been suggesting they will become once freed from old commercial deals and with new revenue streams.
    -It might be that Liverpool become a total non entity and we are talking about 10 years without CL football.
    -Spurs could either push on, or else hit the crossbar again, lose Bale and spunk the money on failures and decline.

We just don't know, although a lot of the above are fanciful. What we will probably have to concentrate on as a club though is:

-Grow commercial revenues
    -Expand the stadium
    -Shop in the non CL quality isle for players, hoping to unearth 20 year old with real promise or bring through some top class youth players.
    -Get accustomed to not competing for CL places, and hope to grab a cup and the occasional EL place with the big stick of a CL place via that. This really could become our best shot at a CL place in the foreseeable.

We are trying to do most of the above. If this season does not produce a miracle top 4 finish or else a close push and renewed optimism allowing us to keep the best performers who might be looking to move to a CL club immediately, we will have to get increasingly accustomed to my last point above, and settle into the role of former/sleeping giant rather than fight it, and just go quietly into that good night :(

Okay. We're as far off it now as then? Financially we're in a better position, but the squad was probably a touch stronger in the summer of 2010.

Better revenue,no debt,better manager, better squad, we are signing better players than then(cole,poulson,konchesky), better football being played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I have the solution!!!

Bribe Platini to expand the number of teams allowed in from any country to 6 for countries which provide winners/finalists from prior years. 48 teams instead of 32, with 32 going into the knock-out phase, bottom 16 dropping into EL...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

5starpool wrote: »
    - It might be that Abramovich/Mansour either decide to move on from their project or get assassinated or who knows what else.

Say no more...

(taps nose)

:cool:

Well Dom, at least you're smart enough to know the likely outcome for our current policy. :( I bristle at those who seem to believe we can do what we're currently doing and claim that it is genuinely trying to compete for a CL place.

Better revenue,no debt,better manager, better squad, we are signing better players than then(cole,poulson,konchesky), better football being played.
    Yea, ok, but other than all those points you listed; how else are we in a better position? :p

That's the problem and the most important point. I don't think the squad as it stands today is better than what we had in the summer of 2010. It's very close either way.

As for Rodgers, he may yet be delighted to have the career Hodgson has had.

Well Dom, at least you're smart enough to know the likely outcome for our current policy. :( I bristle at those who seem to believe we can do what we're currently doing and claim that it is genuinely trying to compete for a CL place.

The club is debt free, increasing revenues and (to date, and to the best of everyone's knowledge) is spending every single penny we earn on trying to improve the team.

You may not always agree with their direction, but it's untrue to say they aren't doing everything they can.

We're operating in extraordinary times in English football. There have never been a top 4 so strong and so wealthy and so difficult to break into. The number of points we earned last year would have got us 4th in Rafa's first season. If we aren't quite doing enough to get 4th, I'd question if it's possible to do much more without a Sheikh/Baron/Mogul.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

20 pages and nearly 300 posts and its no even 3pm.
    Impressive.

That's the problem and the most important point. I don't think the squad as it stands today is better than what we had in the summer of 2010. It's very close either way.

As for Rodgers, he may yet be delighted to have the career Hodgson has had.

Squad wise, thats going to come down to personal opinion. As it stands now, and how it stood when Hodgson has us, I think we have the better squad now

Hodgson's career is nearly over, and he was never won anything of note. Rogers is only starting, we can compare in 30 years time.

If you want the club to show ambition, then it involves putting the club in jeopardy as we'd have to borrow to fund transfers/wages. While this tactic worked for Manchester United, it has sent Rangers, Leeds and Portsmouth into bankruptcy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The club is debt free

I don't think that's the case.
    I think it's just a more manageable amount of debt now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I'd actually probably agree than we're in a decent position if we spend well on another 2/3 first team players. We've a decent mix of youth/experience etc and have bought decently so far this summer in padding out the squad.

The problem remains though to kick on from this point for a challenge at top 4 would include keeping Suarez and buying two players for the first team in the bracket of Mkhitaryan. Rodgers himself has said that he expected another 2/3 first team players before the close of the window and everything has gone oh so quiet on that front. We're finding it already very difficult to buy/attract that quality of player. Trying to replace Suarez and add the quality we need anyway before Suarez left is going to be impossible.

I posted numerous times over the last year for the need to invest now and not in a couple of windows time when it finally showed on the balance sheets that the club was OK. Many scoffed at the idea of front loading the money to build the squad last summer. A year down the line and Suarez already wants out. Another year down the line without CL football, Gerrard a year older, Coutinho wants out(?), etc it all just keeps getting harder.

One of the things that made this club a viable attempt towards cracking the top four was that from the clubs recent European years we still had some proper top four players which we obtained during those years or attracted in the afterglow of that relatively successful period. Since then we've spent that time pissing away that unique advantage we still had over many teams. We're now entering a period when those player are too old, want out etc without being able to attract proper replacements. We're left scratching around trying to strike gold with the like of Coutinho or hoping the promise in the like of Sterling will turn into something great.

Still for many the glass is always half full despite if you stand and look in the cold light of day we're quite rapidly falling light years behind the other top 4 contenders.

Opr

Gbear wrote: »
    I don't think that's the case.
    I think it's just a more manageable amount of debt now.

I think it's working capital mainly.
    Oh, and loans from the owners - lest we forget the club has racked up significant losses under their tenure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Higuain Presentation in Napoli has been cancelled, new twist maybe?

Edit: This is a rumour i'm pulling off football 365. Do not take as gospel :)

opr wrote: »
    I posted numerous times over the last year for the need to invest now and not in a couple of windows time when it finally showed on the balance sheets that the club was OK. Many scoffed at the idea of front loading the money to build the squad last summer.
    Opr

The problem is we were already making significant losses each year and you're asking that the owners put their hands into their pockets to fund spending. Obviously they weren't willing to do that to the extent you'd like, but that's their right as owners I guess. It shouldn't be expected of them, they aren't that type of owner. They themselves are answerable to shareholders.

Squad wise, thats going to come down to personal opinion. As it stands now, and how it stood when Hodgson has us, I think we have the better squad now

Hodgson's career is nearly over, and he was never won anything of note. Rogers is only starting, we can compare in 30 years time.

That's the point, isn't it? Hodgson survived a long time and exists in a fairly big job right now. His career would be a good outcome for Rodgers. Plenty of 'promising' managers of the past long out of work.

If you want the club to show ambition, then it involves putting the club in jeopardy as we'd have to borrow to fund transfers/wages. While this tactic worked for Manchester United, it has sent Rangers, Leeds and Portsmouth into bankruptcy.

With additional TV money and reduced wage bill and ever improving commercial revenues that really isn't true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

I'm going to stop reading the papers and the threads till Sept 2nd as then i can make a better judgement on the Summer dealings and what direction the season will take.
    this hyper bowl stuff isn't any use to either supporter or club and until a clear picture shows it self in September it's a waste of time to try and guess who is leaving\joining and what the club can likely challenge for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

So no news today other than the ongoing Suarez saga?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

That's the point, isn't it? Hodgson survived a long time and exists in a fairly big job right now. His career would be a good outcome for Rodgers. Plenty of 'promising' managers of the past long out of work.

I could care less what Hodgson has done at any other club. His time at Liverpool was rotten. Rotten transfers, rotten tactics, rotten football, rotten PR and rotten relationship with the fans.

Rogers is already better in all the aspect above. He is already a better Liverpool manager than Hodgson.

Who cares what he does with the England side or how he didn't win anything with Inter Milan.

• Advertisement

With additional TV money and reduced wage bill and ever improving commercial revenues that really isn't true.

But there's no evidence of the club hoarding money, the way Arsenal have. We've been making quite healthy losses. We should be in a good position now to spend money, however. We should at least expect a net spend this season of around £30m, I'd reckon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement