Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Can you imagine this place if we had signed NO-ONE yet??

- Reina is not good enough anymore and needs replacing, not a new deal!
    - Skrtel needs getting rid of, can't believe we are going to try him and Agger again...
    - With Danny injured and Luis suspended, who's going to get the goals in our first games - Borini???
    - We never replaced Alonso. We should bring him back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

More on Papa...
    MrBoywunder ‏@MrBoywunder 5m
    Horst Heldt (Schalke GM): "Should an offer be received for him [Papadopoulos], we will sit down with him & make a decision."

Jack Sear ‏@JackSear 2m
    No deal agreed for Papa (yet) confirms Schalke’s manager. We knew that anyway. LFC pondering whether to make an offer soon.

Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes 3m
    @lfc_redscouser It is/was dead. That doesn't mean interest can't be revived but nothing happening at the moment.

Doesn't sound too promising re Papa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Dickerty wrote: »
    Can you imagine this place if we had signed NO-ONE yet??

- Reina is not good enough anymore and needs replacing, not a new deal!
    - Skrtel needs getting rid of, can't believe we are going to try him and Agger again...
    - With Danny injured and Luis suspended, who's going to get the goals in our first games - Borini???
    - We never replaced Alonso. We should bring him back!

We've only signed two players imo, Toure and Mignolet, as they are the only players going to start regularly. And one of them has a huge question mark over his head given his performance level and selection rate the past couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Jesus i'd love another signing if i'm honest.

I like our new signings but they're hardly set the world alight....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I dunno, Toure great experience and has winning mentality.
    Mignolet is a highly rated up and coming keeper.
    Aspas has shown a good bit in the pre-season and has that desire to win.
    Alberto has great potential.

Throw in Papa and one more attacking threat, maybe cover for defensive mid and I'd be over the moon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's really hard to judge the new signings on the preseason against those teams. I think Aspas looked promising, with his confidence. Alberto looked a little shakey, but made some nice passes. Toure didn't have much to do, but looked very committed in the last game. Mignolet had very little to do, apart from DAT SAVE.

I won't be writing off any of them yet, but we'll find out what they're made of in a Liverpool shirt soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

What are the rest of the preseason fixtures?

Celtic game on 10th August. Olympiacos game? Any others?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

If we only signed two players, does Shelvey count as someone to have left the club then :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Valerenga V Liverpool
    7 Aug 2013 18:00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

5live wrote: »
    What are the rest of the preseason fixtures?

Celtic game on 10th August. Olympiacos game? Any others?

Valerenga on the 7th

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    We've only signed two players imo, Toure and Mignolet, as they are the only players going to start regularly. And one of them has a huge question mark over his head given his performance level and selection rate the past couple of years.

No no, we HAVE signed 4 players. Aspas will get starts and goals this season, I am confident of that. And Alberto is a longer term signing, but there is no question he's got something about him.

You can't just choose to ignore a signing cause it suits an argument.

And to suggest there is a HUGE question over Touré is overstating to some degree. He played 24 games last season, and 33 the year before when they won the league!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Thanks guys. Dont know where Olympiakos came from.:confused:

So Celtic game 3 days after Valerenga game

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

5live wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Dont know where Olympiakos came from.:confused:

So Celtic game 3 days after Valerenga game

Playing Olympiakos on Saturday in Gerrard's testimonial, or at least they better be or I'll look very silly in Anfield with no game on!

12.45 kick off is a bit early after a night out in Liveprool, but I'm sure I'll cope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I mean there is definitely a certain type of attitude present these days:

- sell Agger to City? No problem, every player has their price;
    - don't buy Dempsey and leave the squad short? Well, of course! Yesil and Morgan will get a chance sure isn't that great?
    - Toure to come in as a starter? Brilliant! Don't need anyone else really.
    - Not getting involved in the Soldado sweepstakes or interested in anyone of quality? Yes! Moneyball, moneyball, moneeeeyyyyballllllll!!!
    - Loan Skrtel out? Ah yeah, sure Wisdom and Coates great cover altogether;
    - Loan Sterling out? Ah year, sure Downing and Borini great cover altogether;
    - Oh we are making a move for Papa after all? Well yes, would be badly needed and a real sign of intent!

Last summer we were told all summer to be patient that there was X left in the window and when it was over we were told that the squad was fine and had been improved eventhough we'd left ourselves short upfront. There are some here who will deflect / defend no matter what state we're in Sep 1st.

Some mind, far from all. I think the majority opinion right now is that we need a couple of additions to the XI even if Suarez stays and they are hopeful it will come to pass.

That's such a hyperbolic post it's very hard to take seriously.

£25-30 Million is serious money for a player like Agger.

This thread was in meltdown over the Dempsey thing and the vast majority could see we where in bother with our front 3 options.

I think maybe 1 person stated we didn't need another CB.

The majority wanted Mk.

Nobody has said they'd be happy with Skrtel gone and no replacement.

Loaning Sterling out a minority opinion.

Papa a sign of intent? That's such a misrepresentation it can only be an intentional one, you know fine well nobody said that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Some updates on Bernard here.

From his dad:
    "Shakhtar was not an option for us in any moment. Bernard doesn't want them. It's Atletico Mineiro that are forcing it. Things have to be done this week.

"If Porto really want him, as it seems, then the clubs president should contact Atletico Mineiro directly. Maybe this way it would make things easier and Bernard's intention would become true.

"Bernard is not a doll, he gave Atletico a lot, he wants to join Porto, they should try and reach an agreement."
    "I think Atletico Mineiro should respect his wishes," he told Maisfutebol.

"I understand Atletico want more money but the player cannot be a puppet. He gave so much to the club, he wants to go to Porto, they should try to reach an agreement.

"He is very focused on the World Cup. I think that, if he goes to Ukraine, he will lose ground. He doesn't even consider this possibility. Portugal is different.

"[Brazil coach Luiz Felipe] Scolari is very fond of Portuguese football and always watches. For him, playing in Portugal would be as or more important than staying here."

And his manager:
    "Tottenham made an offer of €18M for Bernard but they withdrew. Arsenal told they'd bid but never did so."

No mention of Liverpool :(

ricero wrote: »
    Any news today on big poppa ?

Bild now saying we've made a bid of €15M, but they seem to be alone in that belief...

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Anyone that thinks Liverpool can mount a title challenge is living in some sort of fantasyland.

Right now, if they're in the race for 4th with 3-4 games left in the season, that's as good as it will get. Only way I see that changing is if signings are made. If players are lost, it becomes even more unlikely

Current squad should get 6th.

Add some more first teamers and keep Suarez and I'd expect a right good challenge at 4th

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Some updates on Bernard here.

From his dad:

And his manager:

No mention of Liverpool :(

I didn't think we were ever in for him

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Current squad should get 6th.

Add some more first teamers and keep Suarez and I'd expect a right good challenge at 4th

I agree.

I think people forget how rubbish our team / squad was before xmas.

We saw the impact Coutinho and Sturridge had. I imagine we would of been alot closer to 4th if they had of been here all season.

Our squad is currently alot stronger to what we started with last season. We have yet to add these starting xi players that Rodgers has talked about.

Even if it's only one big signing in the same league as the likes of Mkh I think we have a good chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I didn't think we were ever in for him

I thought we were, but apparently we weren't. Another case of journos/agents/selling clubs throwing Liverpool in to drum up interest, perhaps.

I do still think an attacking midfielder is a priority though. Not too many sh!t-hot players in that position who'd be willing to move though. You're basically talking about players who are not only not in the Champions League, but who are also not attracting interest from other clubs who are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Is there no Spurs superthread on boards? Went looking for it to see what they thought of the Bale thing. Surprising if theres not.

billy2012 wrote: »
    I agree.

I think people forget how rubbish our team / squad was before xmas.

We saw the impact Coutinho and Sturridge had. I imagine we would of been alot closer to 4th if they had of been here all season.

Our squad is currently alot stronger to what we started with last season. We have yet to add these starting xi players that Rodgers has talked about.

Even if it's only one big signing in the same league as the likes of Mkh I think we have a good chance.

I think we will need more than one first team signing to realistically challenge 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

gafferino wrote: »
    Is there no Spurs superthread on boards? Went looking for it to see what they thought of the Bale thing. Surprising if theres not.

Hosted > Sports > Spuds supporters club forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

I saw the Swansea Thread. It's still on the First Page. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I do still think an attacking midfielder is a priority though.
    I am wondering if Coutinho's ridiculously good showing in that position is making Rodgers rethink that. We know the interest in Mkhitaryan was very real, however, since failing to get him, we've seen Coutinho in the AM position playing brilliantly. If we can keep Suarez, we probably don't need anyone new in the midfield/front 6.

First choice midfield/forward players

Lucas - Gerrard
    ---- Sturridge - Coutinho - Suarez
    Aspas

Second choice midfield/forward players

Henderson - Allen
    ---- Downing - Alberto - Sterling/Ibe
    Borini

When you think about the squad that way, we have 2 players for every position.

I think we will need more than one first team signing to realistically challenge 4th.

How many?....2?? What positions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I am wondering if Coutinho's ridiculously good showing in that position is making Rodgers rethink that. We know the interest in Mkhitaryan was very real, however, since failing to get him, we've seen Coutinho in the AM position playing brilliantly. If we can keep Suarez, we probably don't need anyone new in the midfield/front 6.

Lucas - Gerrard
    Aspas

Henderson - Allen
    Borini

I still believe we need one more top quality player in there, plus a top quality central defender, to have any chance of fourth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Lucas - Gerrard
    Aspas

Henderson - Allen
    Borini

Aspas taking the main striker role over Sturridge or Suarez?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Filter the forum by the superthread prefix:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83547029#post83547029

Last post in March though, so I don't suspect much recent news..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Kess73 wrote: »
    Aspas taking the main striker role over Sturridge or Suarez?
    None of us know Rodgers preferred 11 as there are so many new players in. The teams I put up were more to illustrate we have 2 players for every position and that Coutinho/Alberto could be the answer for the number 10 role.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

dfx- wrote: »
    Filter the forum by the superthread prefix:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83547029#post83547029

Last post in March though, so I don't suspect much recent news..

Ha!! March! fuping hell. Surely there are a decent amount of Spurs fans in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ha!! March! fuping hell. Surely there are a decent amount of Spurs fans in Ireland.

Very few of them venture outside their own forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I was thinking the same.
    Hosted > Sports > Spuds supporters club forum.
    I had wondered why I couldn't find it. Very fancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

None of us know Rodgers preferred 11 as there are so many new players in. The teams I put up were more to illustrate we have 2 players for every position and that Coutinho/Alberto could be the answer for the number 10 role.

Personally I think wherever Coutinho ends up, be it LW/LWF or AM, then a quality player is needed in the other position.

another option might be to move Gerrard to the AM slot, have Coutinho at LW/LWF, and bring in some genuine quality in the now vacant CM slot.

I am sure the 2 of them just communicate through DM...

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Sometimes the truth hurts...:( this club really needs to start turning things around, and fast.
    Liverpool have become the target of Europe’s wealthiest pilferers as the transfer volcano threatens to erupt

The rumblings have not ceased all summer, but for the moment the inhabitants of football transfer land continue to stare at the volcano waiting for it to erupt.

suarez_2631889b.jpg

The activation, many believe, will be Gareth Bale’s move to Real Madrid for £85 million. It is suggested today this will enable Spurs to penetrate the monotony of the Luis Suarez to Arsenal affair, Manchester United to test Madrid’s resolve to keep Cristiano Ronaldo as they press on for Cesc Fabregas, thus making the possibility of David Moyes selling Wayne Rooney to Chelsea more palatable, and offering Tranmere all the hope they require to lure Fernando Torres back to Merseyside from Stamford Bridge

That last one might be fanciful (Tranmere think Torres is well past his best, although Marine need a striker if he’s still got his heart on a return to the North West).

The Suarez to Tottenham link is a product of that specifically football-related mathematical equation where 2 plus 2 equals a £50 million bid.

It would be surprise if, once they’ve received the Bale cash, Spurs did not seek to annoy Arsenal by outbidding them for Suarez while aspiring to ensure Liverpool had no chance of finishing above 6th for the fifth consecutive season.

Indeed, a mega Spurs bid for Suarez would be most welcome at Anfield. Not because it would be accepted but it might prompt those who have a realistic chance of signing Suarez to meet his actual valuation.

A Spurs bid would also be attractive to delight in Suarez’s reaction. Presumably he’d make it clear he only wanted to leave for Champions League football so Spurs’ interest was on the more extreme side of futility.
    Best be careful about jumping to conclusions were Suarez is concerned, though. Lest we forget he was comparing the persecutors of English football to the tormentors on the road to Calvary before Arsenal’s shoddy attempt at a quid pro quo.
    Liverpool supporters continue to mock when hearing of Arsenal and Spurs’ plans and they’re still, just about, entitled to do so.
    The Anfield patient remains ill but it has not lost its faculties so much to reckon selling your best player to Arsenal makes sense.
    Players largely gain sympathy for wishing to join clubs who regularly win titles, but leaving to play a few games in Europe is a relatively new phenomenon. At least Arsenal are always in the Champions League.
    You might need to lock some of the greatest Harvard minds in a room for several weeks before you come up with a reasonable theory as to why Suarez would leave Anfield for Spurs.
    There is a broader problem for Liverpool, however. These stories will repeat themselves until they restore a top four place.
    Although the club continues to perceive itself as one of the greatest institutions to bless this shores, those above in the Premier League are seeing them more and more as Aston Villa.
    This may not be easy for everyone at Anfield to accept but being top of the ‘wow, look how many people around the world support us and follow us on Twitter’ league is not impressing anyone but themselves.
    It’s hard to recall a time when Liverpool looked more vulnerable, not only in terms of losing their best player but struggling to convince those they covet to join the club.
    A former Liverpool coach once offered a revealing insight into the rather straightforward recruitment measures of the top Premier League scouts.
    Basically, they go through the top European leagues, identify the best players in each team and work their way through until they find one that is obtainable.
    Thus, when they were a top four club, Liverpool could analyse the Premier League squads of those in fifth, sixth and seventh and identify players who’d strengthen their own squad and, presumably, weaken those who might threaten their Champions League position. It’s precisely the same principle Arsenal – and possibly Spurs – would use by targeting Suarez.
    If Spurs planning to use Bale funds to sign Suarez does not, on the surface, seem much to worry about, the symbolism of Liverpool’s best players now being seen as potential targets by England’s fifth-placed club surely is.
    Liverpool have gone from being one of the club’s most likely to poach the best of the rest to being the target of Europe’s wealthiest pilferers.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10213502/Liverpool-have-become-the-target-of-Europes-wealthiest-pilferers-as-the-transfer-volcano-threatens-to-erupt.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Lucas - Gerrard
    Aspas

Henderson - Allen
    Borini

I don't see the need to spend £25 Million on a AM this window either. I think we've enough there to see how they get on, CB and a strong DM would be the priorities for me.
    Personally I think wherever Coutinho ends up, be it LW/LWF or AM, then a quality player is needed in the other position.

another option might be to move Gerrard to the AM slot, have Coutinho at LW/LWF, and bring in some genuine quality in the now vacant CM slot.

We all know Gerrard will not be picked there though. We'd be a bit light if Coutinho got injured, but I'd be far more worried about Lucas or a CB out for a long spell.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I heard of this Armenian guy who's mean to be the bomb - Micky summit?

billy2012 wrote: »
    How many?....2?? What positions?

CB and attacking mid I'd say if Suarez stays

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Leiva wrote: »

That is a desperately bad article. Built on untruths. Looks the the author read the stupid websites that I listed last night about Spurs making a bid and decided to cook this pile of poo.

mike65 wrote: »
    That is a desperately bad article. Built on a fallacy.

It ready like it was written in another language and translated using Babelfish!

"It is suggested today this will enable Spurs to penetrate the monotony of the Luis Suarez to Arsenal affair".

Stop being a journo and just write the article!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Leiva wrote: »

I think you need to stop reacting so emotionally to everything you read , it's an article written on ifs & buts .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Wait...that article was in the Telegraph? Genuinely thought it was from a foreign paper and translated into English. Dreadful stuff. Must be a work experience student or something.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Dismiss it as hogwash and bad writing all ye want, but there is more than a kernal of truth to it, and the longer Liverpool are a 5th-8th place team in the PL (I included 5th despite us finishing below that for the last 4 years), the truer it becomes. Diminishing status combined with the drive to pay lower wages but higher performance bonuses is a bad combination for Liverpool and can only be addressed by higher achievements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

5starpool wrote: »
    12.45 kick off is a bit early after a night out in Liveprool, but I'm sure I'll cope.

Hair of the dog needed for sure :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Get the ball rolling..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

That article must have really set Leiva over the edge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

It seems Bale has told AVB he wants to leave...

http://m.skysports.com/article/football//8849317

Whatever replacements (a probable if) Spurs get in for the €85m + will be a huge factor in how we fair out against them with regards competition with them will be for a CL spot.

I would see that move happening and try persuading Spurs to buy Downing off us in a similar fashion to when Spurs were looking at €15m and Bale all them years ago for his services. A nostalgic-type persuasion would be done here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Come back Leiva, come back

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement