Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

Grayditch wrote: »
    Just got in from practice to see that we've lost Leiva. Soldier down, hope the fella's all good.

Practice? Jaysus :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He'll be back, you take poster out of the thread but not the thread out of the poster.

More Milky goodness
    Semi-finals beckon for Beale's boys
    31st Jul 2013 - Latest News

Hat-trick hero Liam Robinson fired Liverpool U15s into the semi-finals of the Milk Cup on Wednesday as the Reds twice came from behind to beat Southampton 4-2 at the Showgrounds.

Afterwards, the draw for the last four then paired Michael Beale's side against County Antrim - where victory could set up a mouth-watering cup final clash against Everton, who will play Watford in the other semi.

On Wednesday afternoon, however, it was Southampton who started the sharper of the two sides in the final qualifying game. The Saints took the lead after just four minutes through Carel Kayembe, and they held firm until half-time.

Whatever Beale told his men at the interval seemed to work a treat as the Reds flew out of the blocks in the second half and Herbie Kane equalised three minutes after the restart, rifling home on the half-volley.

However, within 60 seconds, Southampton looked to have regained control when Oliver Long restored their advantage.

One of the changes Beale made to the side at the interval was to shift Robinson into the middle of the attack from out on the right flank, and the striker made it 2-2 with a calm finish a minute after the Saints grabbed their second.

Six minutes later Robinson added a third, before sealing the win with another quality finish to cap a spirited second-half display.

The "seniors" finished 5th overall so won't have a chance to play in the finals. Instead they go into a second-level semi final against Corinthians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

25 million bid accepted for Mkhitaryan. How is that not showing ambition? How is that settling for mid table mediocrity?

A positive sign earlier in the window, but ultimately meaningless. Bid accepted means nothing.

Was it even confirmed we had a bid accepted? Up until the end of June Shaktar were saying we hadn't even bid iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Mr Alan wrote: »
    No. But it will play a part in showing that the owners/manager have the desire to get us back to where we want to be.

As it stands imo it appears we have owners content to solidify midtable & a manager so out of his depth that he's just happy to have the Liverpool managers job.

In relation to your point about Rodgers hinting he has what it takes, that's beyond clutching at straws and the same argument could be made for Dalglish & any manager who puts a few decent results together. While it was better than the dross we got for the first 6 months of the season, it was meaningless & proof of nothing.

I just don't see how wasting ten of millions just to satisfy some fans cravings for 'marquee signings' is proof of anything. If the last 12 months has shown us anything it is that we need to be patient and wait for the right deal.

Would you swap Coutinho for Sigurdson? How about Dempsey for Sturridge? I think Mignolet could prove one of the signings of the season for us. Toure and Aspas could also prove great signings.

Now we just need Papa, Diame and Dzeko and we can all rest easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

audman wrote: »
    Practice? Jaysus :)

Yeah, I'm taking a night course in Twitter/Creative Writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

A positive sign earlier in the window, but ultimately meaningless. Bid accepted means nothing.

Was it even confirmed we had a bid accepted? Up until the end of June Shaktar were saying we hadn't even bid iirc.

As close to confirmed as possible without Liverpool coming out and saying it IIRC.

Not meaningless. It shows we are identifying the right players and are willing to spend on the right ones. We didn't bid on him for the laugh. Nothing about it shows lack of ambition, to be honest.

We need to be patient and hope that we have alternatives lined up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

No. But it will play a part in showing that the owners/manager have the desire to get us back to where we want to be.

As it stands imo it appears we have owners content to solidify midtable & a manager so out of his depth that he's just happy to have the Liverpool managers job.

In relation to your point about Rodgers hinting he has what it takes, that's beyond clutching at straws and the same argument could be made for Dalglish & any manager who puts a few decent results together. While it was better than the dross we got for the first 6 months of the season, it was meaningless & proof of nothing.

The club, owners and manager want the club to get as high as possible in the table, if you honestly think for one second the owners are "happy" with 7th you're wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

The irony is that Alan used to be viewed as the most biased pro Liverpool supporter during Rafa's days.

Now, despite having a complete change of opinion that has coincided with us losing our ability to compete, his views are dismissed as anti-Rogers.

To be frank, most of what he says is bang on.

Bollocks. He won't be happy until Benitez is back in charge of the club. He's been crying his eyes out on here every day since his beloved Rafa got the sack. Biased is not a strong enough word, obsessed is more apt I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

klose wrote: »
    The club, owners and manager want the club to get as high as possible in the table, if you honestly think for one second the owners are "happy" with 7th you're wrong.

Why was 6 afraid of 7? Because 7 8 9 :) We 'ate' Swansea alive that day in Anfield. Because of this, Everton who finished 6th are afraid of Liverpool who finished 7th. Why? 7 8 9. Liverpool ate Swansea, a team that won a trophy, something which Everton cannot do. Therefore, as mentioned previously, aiming for the same as Everton is a ridiculous notion. Our sins are to be higher. They are and should be afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Well that post happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

We never had a bid accepted for Mkhitaryan that I remember. Plenty of paper talk that we were very close but it was just that paper talk. If anything most of the things I read around the deal afterwards suggested we dragged our heals which allowed Dortmund to nick in and do the deal.

I'm hopeful the money was there but it proved nothing conclusively with regards our ambition or ability to spend £25m+ I won't remain convinced until it happens. Everything we have done with regard to wages, loaning players etc while all quite sensible still suggest we aren't flush. If it's a case of look after the pennies while spending the pounds it's fine but that has yet to be seen.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

PRAF wrote: »
    All I'm saying here is calm down until we actually know who we've signed. It's utterly pointless worrying about it. We'll just have to wait and see.

Like others, I feel we need a couple of impressive signings, however I'm not going to throw my toys out of the pram now. There is still time.

Realistically it's been a quiet window so far for our direct competitors. It's likely to remain quiet until the last few days of the window.

Said before myself that the window isnt shut for a while but we have a league game in 17 days. The talk about not being able to sign players we want or not signing anyone is symptomatic of what and where my overall issue lies. What is going to change that?, is it a case of never going out on a limb again?. If Suarez left in the morning for 55m how would it change?. Probably not at all because Rodgers says we already have money if we need it. So what then?

On top of this, our best player cant feature for a couple of months at least and in my opinion could down tools at any point. This is the reality at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Those are some top quotes from Gerrard. He has really stepped up to the plate as captain over the last few seasons. I'd be hoping he'd know we have money available and are trying hard to sign a couple of top players when making those type of comments which is encouraging.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

25 million bid accepted for Mkhitaryan. How is that not showing ambition? How is that settling for mid table mediocrity?

We bolted out of the gate to sign a 26 yr old attacker with one season in a top division. Now he may be great/sh1te but to my mind if we then still had 25m for Mkhitaryan we should be vying for the like of Soldado and not really bothering with the like of Aspas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

daithijjj wrote: »
    Said before myself that the window isnt shut for a while but we have a league game in 17 days. The talk about not being able to sign players we want or not signing anyone is symptomatic of what and where my overall issue lies. What is going to change that?, is it a case of never going out on a limb again?. If Suarez left in the morning for 55m how would it change?. Probably not at all because Rodgers says we already have money if we need it. So what then?

On top of this, our best player cant feature for a couple of months at least and in my opinion could down tools at any point. This is the reality at the moment.

I'd say the plan was to have Papa and MK signed by now. That hasn't happened for whatever reason. Since then the Suarez saga has eaten up Ayres and Rodgers time.

I think most agree we need at least two more first team quality players by the end of the window. I'd like them sooner rather than later, but realistically I don't think it'll happen until very late in the window. I hope I'm proved wrong

Quite amusing watching Arsenal thinking that they have a hope of signing Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

“If we get the couple of marquee signings we need and keep Luis that will give me confidence that we can compete. Keeping Luis could be our best signing of the summer.”

Stevie's been reading boards I see :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

daithi is a lad I can disagree strongly with, agree on others, but we can have a damn good debate. My attention span isn't great though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

We bolted out of the gate to sign a 26 yr old attacker with one season in a top division. Now he may be great/sh1te but to my mind if we then still had 25m for Mkhitaryan we should be vying for the like of Soldado and not really bothering with the like of Aspas.

If we've £25 Million to spend I wouldn't be spending it on an Mk or Saldado.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Will you come of it! Him and Lloyd and shouted down by default no matter what they post.

They really aren't. Most people genuinely quiz them on their points.

Occasionally one or two non-regulars have resorted to insulting one if not both, but that aside no one as flat out abused them unless provoked. As I've said multiple times now, when a poster (Alan) feels the need to basically call out the majority of fellow (not opposing!) supporters as retards, numpties, delusional/deluded, idiots and so on for holding an differing opinion.... well.. yeah. **** is going to hit the fan. You'll get people who won't stand for that. The retard(s)/retarded comments aren't even a once off and is something said in horribly bad taste to put it mildly. I genuinely believe he looks down us in the sense he thinks he's better than us if I'm honest.

If I comment on Lloyd, I'll be wasting my time I feel nowadays. I actually had a long post written up the other day in reply to him, but just thought **** it and deleted it as I didn't see the point. I did at one time have a lot of time for his posts and I think he knows this. After all, I tried to get him to join the previous forum I posted before eventually switching to this place.

Then you have the likes of Rossie who I'm near certain has never posted a positive comment in my time as a regular in the soccer forum at least. Perhaps I've missed something remotely positive. I'm just going on what I've seen and there's no hyperbole from my end.

I don't always agree with Daithi, actually, I'd go as far as to say I've disagreed with him on most things since his return, but I take the time to read his posts as he puts himself forward well more often than not. Some of those who share his opinion should follow his manner of posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    They really aren't. Most people genuinely quiz them on their points.

Occasionally one or two non-regulars have resorted to insulting one if not both, but that aside no one as flat out abused them unless provoked. As I've said multiple times now, when a poster (Alan) feels the need to basically call out the majority of fellow (not opposing!) supporters as retards, numpties, delusional/deluded, idiots and so on for holding an differing opinion.... well.. yeah. **** is going to hit the fan. You'll get people who won't stand for that. The retard(s)/retarded comments aren't even a once off and is something said in horribly bad taste to put it mildly. I genuinely believe he looks down us in the sense he thinks he's better than us if I'm honest.

If I comment on Lloyd, I'll be wasting my time I feel nowadays. I actually had a long post written up the other day in reply to him, but just thought **** it and deleted it as I didn't see the point. I did at one time have a lot of time for his posts and I think he knows this. After all, I tried to get him to join the previous forum I posted before eventually switching to this place.

Then you have the likes of Rossie who I'm near certain has never posted a positive comment in my time as a regular in the soccer forum at least. Perhaps I've missed something remotely positive. I'm just going on what I've seen and there's no hyperbole from my end.

I don't always agree with Daithi, actually, I'd go as far as to say I've disagreed with him on most things since his return, but I take the time to read his posts as he puts himself forward well more often than not. Some of those who share his opinion should follow his manner of posting.

This all day long, it's no coincidence that Daitjjj doesn't get half the static Lloyd and Alan do despite having essentially the same views. It's all in the delivery.

Aspas wasn't anywhere near the same league as Mk or Saldado, he was bought as a squad player.

I don't have a clue what we'll spend.

Boards.ie is trying to be educated twitter nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I've lost count of the amount of times I've started a response to either Alan or Llyod and just thought, "Feck it, no point on this topic", and just closed the window down.

These threads have followed a similar pattern for ages now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

K-9 wrote: »
    Aspas wasn't anywhere near the same league as Mk or Saldado, he was bought as a squad player.

Come on now, Aspas was totally in the same league as Soldado. Admittedly his league was about four and a half thousand miles away from Mkhitaryan's, so you have a good point there.

I'm sorry. It's been a really long day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Gerrard getting in on the 'marquee signings' lark, I blame boards.ie

In other news, bring back Levia. :-/
    Gunna pour some out for him at the weekend, rip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Interesting comments from Gerrard, reminds me of when Keane was Fergies spokesman. If i follow this line of thinking Rodgers has told Suarez he can only leave for Barcelona or Real, so if a bid from these two doesn't materialise hes asked him to give us one more year. Barca aren't interested so if Madrid buy Bale as is looking increasingly likely Suarez will stay to try and get us into the champions league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Some people in here spend more time discussing myself than they do discussing just how poor it's looking increasingly likely our summer will shape up to be.

Those people seriously need to get a life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ardent wrote: »
    Bollocks. He won't be happy until Benitez is back in charge of the club. He's been crying his eyes out on here every day since his beloved Rafa got the sack. Biased is not a strong enough word, obsessed is more apt I think.

Well things have really improved since he was sacked and you got your way? How does it feel to be proven so conclusively wrong?

Some people in here spend more time discussing myself than they do discussing just how poor it's looking increasingly likely our summer will shape up to be.

Those people seriously need to get a life.

Mr AlanSuperthread ftw !

• Advertisement

Some posters do reply reasonably with counter points and stuff, in my experience, when you do, it is either missed or purposefully ignored.

I replied point for point to a Lloyd post today, we'll see if Lloyd bothers his hole taking similar time to respond. Al just takes a scatter gun approach to posting, in fairness, I think he has always been like that, so consistent. The United thread was an example.

Was that the post that began with:
    That's such a hyperbolic post it's very hard to take seriously.

?

Cause I didn't read the rest at the time.
    £25-30 Million is serious money for a player like Agger.

This thread was in meltdown over the Dempsey thing and the vast majority could see we where in bother with our front 3 options.

I think maybe 1 person stated we didn't need another CB.

The majority wanted Mk.

Nobody has said they'd be happy with Skrtel gone and no replacement.

Loaning Sterling out a minority opinion.

Papa a sign of intent? That's such a misrepresentation it can only be an intentional one, you know fine well nobody said that.

- Agger had just had the best season of his career and we didn't look in any position to replace him. Suarez has a market value too, but his value to us is way in excess of that when our inability to replace him is taken into account;

- The thread was in meltdown because the likes of daithijjj and I were aghast at where we had left ourselves. If you'll remember, the majority opinion at the time was that we had improved our squad and had a good window - that irrespective of us leaving ourselves short. The results the first half of the season didn't really prove out the theory that we'd improved. Coutinho and Sturridge addressed obvious shortfalls that should never have existed at the end of the Summer window;

- Maybe 1 person. But then we have Philo Cypher saying last night that if we end up as we are at the end of the window we won't be able to say it was a bad window and garnering multiple thanks and 'good post bro' responses;

- Yeah we all wanted MK. And some are now using the fact that the club sniffed around MK as a sign of ambition. CLOSE THE DEAL!;

- Well one person said it. But I guarantee you some on here would defend it if it came to pass;

- True minority opinion, but the train of opinion that will defend the current setup no matter what;

- Again, if we signed him and let Skrtel go it would be championed by many on here as more progress;
    Nuri Sahin wrote: »

My style of posting is the same now as it was 2007 - 2010 when I was nominated for forum poster of the year and other such bollocks. The difference is that my view was once that of the majority on this thread (pro the Liverpool management and club direction broadly speaking) but is now the minority (anti the Liverpool management and club direction broadly speaking). I made my points the same way then as I do now. Was just as excitable, informed, whatever. That's the fact of it.

Time is going to tell on all this stuff anyway. In two years time it will have panned out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

mike65 wrote: »
    The "seniors" finished 5th overall so won't have a chance to play in the finals. Instead they go into a second-level semi final against Corinthians

Yes, let's talk about actual football.

So the U15s made the semis, Harry Kane seems to be a key player there, and Yan Dhanda is in that squad. Will be interesting to see how they finish, and if any of that squad are pushed towards the higher age bracket.

In the U17s, they narrowly missed the semis, finishing 5th. But they have been playing both Canos and Chirivella, so some lack of synergy may have been expected. Ryan Kent and Harry Wilson have both been impressive, from reports. But Canos has definately stood out already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if Rodgers is intimating that there'll be no more signings, that is poor.

"we'll only sign the right players" is code for "we've failed to do what we set out to do this window".

don't give me the bollocks that there are no players that are suitable. do your job.

every one of Spurs' signings was eminently gettable for instance, every one of them would've improved us, and you can bet that there are more players like them out there that our scouting system just hasn't found.

unless there are signings, this window is a fail, and the management will have fed us bollocks from the start. we were told that the squad was going to be looked after first, which it was, and then 2 or 3 players for the starting XI were going to be purchased.

i really, really, really hope my worry is for nothing, and we'll come up with the signings we need.

SlickRic wrote: »

"we'll only sign the right players" is code for "we've failed to do what we set out to do this window".

don't give me the bollocks that there are no players that are suitable. do your job.

i really, really, really hope my worry is for nothing, and we'll come up with the signings we need.

Wouldn't it be better to wait and see what we do before balling them out of it? I didn't read anything into that comment anything other than we won't buy for the sake of buying, which I guess could be construed as negative. But it's still the right thing to do.
    every one of Spurs' signings was eminently gettable for instance, every one of them would've improved us, and you can bet that there are more players like them out there that our scouting system just hasn't found.

Every one? You mean the 2 they have signed so far? One of them (Chadli) most wouldn't have heard of, and I bet most hadn't heard of Paulinho until the Confed Cup. Soldado is the only one, and in reality if we keep Suarez, we didn't need him as badly as them, not €30M need. Sturridge and Suarez are first choice, as are Lucas, Coutinho and Gerrard. If we sign a midfielder with goals, as we have said we want to, then we have our starting front 6, with the likes of Sterling, Aspas, Alberto Allen, Borini, Ibe, Downing and Hendo (assumnig Spearing and Assaidi leave) all in reserve...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

unless there are signings, this window is a fail, and the management will have fed us bollocks from the start. we were told that the squad was going to be looked after first, which it was, and then 2 or 3 players for the starting XI were going to be purchased.

I don't agree with this at all.

Rodgers has to be careful not to come across as too 'desperate' to sign players so the price doesn't get jacked up. Anyone remember 31st January 2011? 'Hello Mike, listen Torres is off to Chelsea. We're f**ked for a striker, how much for Big Andy?' That worked out well!

People are reading far too much into every utterance but fail to realise that all negotiations are essentially a game so we have to be very careful how much weight we put behind any comment ANY manager makes to the media.

Check your calanders. It's August 1st, not September 1st. As much as everyone would like to have players signed sealed and delivered, an awful lot of deals go down to the last day. Buying a player isn't like buying a suit (or playing FM!), you can't just say 'I'll have that one please'. As someone highlighted earlier in the week, there are 3 parties to a deal - buyer, seller and player. Liverpool are only one of the parties.

If there are no more 'ins and outs' by the close of the window then we can bitch and moan about Rodgers/Ayre/FSG/ Anfield Cat all we like, but to do it now is either over reaction (for the most part) or driving a personal agenda (I assume I don't have to spell out that I'm not referring to the quoted post here).

We absolutely could use Soldado!!

Coutinho

Sturridge---Soldado
    Suarez

Now, that would be top notch. We're not good enough that we can be turning our nose up at a top quality player. There are always injuries, and having another ~25 goal a season man would be huge for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Spurs are a significantly better prospect than Liverpool I'm afraid. They've finished in the top 4 in 2 of the last 4 seasons, and a fair way ahead of Liverpool in those years. They're based in London too, which would work to their advantage, and they have one of the best young managers in Europe at the helm. Then there's the fact Liverpool are handicapped by having average, ageing players on big contracts which affects what the club can offer players and appears to have seen a sell-to-buy policy put in place.

IMO if we keep Suarez, then the additions we've made will see us slightly better off than last year in terms of the first team, and more improved again in terms of squad, but still way short of the kind of window we need to improve the way we'd all like. I can only hope we have a few under-the-radar targets in our sights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Was that the post that began with:

?

Cause I didn't read the rest at the time.

- Agger had just had the best season of his career and we didn't look in any position to replace him. Suarez has a market value too, but his value to us is way in excess of that when our inability to replace him is taken into account;

- The thread was in meltdown because the likes of daithijjj and I were aghast at where we had left ourselves. If you'll remember, the majority opinion at the time was that we had improved our squad and had a good window - that irrespective of us leaving ourselves short. The results the first half of the season didn't really prove out the theory that we'd improved. Coutinho and Sturridge addressed obvious shortfalls that should never have existed at the end of the Summer window;

- Maybe 1 person. But then we have Philo Cypher saying last night that if we end up as we are at the end of the window we won't be able to say it was a bad window and garnering multiple thanks and 'good post bro' responses;

- Yeah we all wanted MK. And some are now using the fact that the club sniffed around MK as a sign of ambition. CLOSE THE DEAL!;

- Well one person said it. But I guarantee you some on here would defend it if it came to pass;

- True minority opinion, but the train of opinion that will defend the current setup no matter what;

- Again, if we signed him and let Skrtel go it would be championed by many on here as more progress;

My style of posting is the same now as it was 2007 - 2010 when I was nominated for forum poster of the year and other such bollocks. The difference is that my view was once that of the majority on this thread (pro the Liverpool management and club direction broadly speaking) but is now the minority (anti the Liverpool management and club direction broadly speaking). I made my points the same way then as I do now. Was just as excitable, informed, whatever. That's the fact of it.

Time is going to tell on all this stuff anyway. In two years time it will have panned out.

I completely get yours, Daithijjj and Alans point of view a lot of the time. I am worried about where we are going and the money or lack of money being spent. I also see a lot of positives where you guys dont.

I am completely at a loss as to why you think so many are pro-Rodgers/FSG....there are some of course but most are not sure yet, like myself, and waiting to see as most of us have repeated on endless occasions.

Well things have really improved since he was sacked and you got your way? How does it feel to be proven so conclusively wrong?

Remind me where we finished in the league in his last season in charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Steven Gerrard is the best passer of a ball in the Premier League according to his boss Brendan Rodgers.

And even though the Reds captain is preparing for his 16th Premier League season, he still amazes his manager with his appetite to learn.

The Anfield skipper has collected almost every individual accolade throughout his 630 Liverpool appearances and lifted nearly every item of silverware in the game.

But boss Brendan Rodgers says Gerrard still wants to learn.

“It’s just his hunger to learn and the captain’s role he provided for me was so important,” said Rodgers, who will see Gerrard lead the Reds out in a well-earned testimonial match against Olympiakos on Saturday.

“It’s vital to have a good lieutenant and him and Carra were certainly that for me last year – and he has picked up the baton again.

“I just see the quality in his game. He is still, for me, the best passer of a ball in the Premier League.

“You see some of them he hits from all over the field and it’s incredible how he strikes it.

“I don’t see anyone do it like him, he’s absolutely phenomenal and still someone who is very, very important.

“He’s 33 now, but I feel he could go on for a few years, he could adapt his role where he can become the playmaker.

“I think his years of those long bursting runs forward where he gets into the box, he will still do them the odd time I am sure, but his role will be to make the team tick, get them playing.

“And for me there is no better player in the Premier League to do that. To have him on board, certainly for the duration of my contract here and hopefully beyond, that will be brilliant.”

Despite splashing out on a quartet of new signings during the summer, Rodgers believes that his best signing is still likely to be one which didn’t cost the club a transfer fee.

“I told the club in the summer that our biggest signing could be Steven Gerrard because his influence is still at a very high level,” Rodgers added.

“He had a terrific season last year, he looked really good. The early stages were difficult for him, coming to terms with how I worked, coming back off the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Spurs are a significantly better prospect than Liverpool I'm afraid. They've finished in the top 4 in 2 of the last 4 seasons, and a fair way ahead of Liverpool in those years. They're based in London too, which would work to their advantage, and they have one of the best young managers in Europe at the helm. Then there's the fact Liverpool are handicapped by having average, ageing players on big contracts which affects what the club can offer players and appears to have seen a sell-to-buy policy put in place.

IMO if we keep Suarez, then the additions we've made will see us slightly better off than last year in terms of the first team, and more improved again in terms of squad, but still way short of the kind of window we need to improve the way we'd all like. I can only hope we have a few under-the-radar targets in our sights.

Sorry but I would argue that Liverpool is a bigger name and club than Spurs.

• Advertisement

Dickerty wrote: »
    Yes, let's talk about actual football.

So the U15s made the semis, Harry Kane seems to be a key player there, and Yan Dhanda is in that squad. Will be interesting to see how they finish, and if any of that squad are pushed towards the higher age bracket.

In the U17s, they narrowly missed the semis, finishing 5th. But they have been playing both Canos and Chirivella, so some lack of synergy may have been expected. Ryan Kent and Harry Wilson have both been impressive, from reports. But Canos has definately stood out already.

Herbie Kane! :) He does seems to have made a very quick impact since he joined from Bristol City. He is the next (after the next!) Steven Gerrard! ;) Jordan Rossiter better watch out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Its becoming fairly obvious that FSG are not going to sanction any transfers over 12-15 million mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

We absolutely could use Soldado!!

Coutinho

Sturridge---Soldado
    Suarez

Now, that would be top notch. We're not good enough that we can be turning our nose up at a top quality player. There are always injuries, and having another ~25 goal a season man would be huge for us.

That really would be quality.....they would have to be seriously willing to work on their defensive side too though!
    We're not in for him though unfortunately.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Its becoming fairly obvious that FSG are not going to sanction any transfers over 12-15 million mark.

What makes you think that? We tried to get Henrikh Mkhitaryan for ~ £25M.

Remind me where we finished in the league in his last season in charge?

:rolleyes:

7th, with more points than we've achieved in any of the four seasons since then.

You told us during 2007 - 2010 that getting rid of him would solve our problems, that he was holding us back. That it was nothing to do with G & H. That Hodgson was a better manager. Promised us that we would do better without him. You lied. :(

This Diego Costa linkage (see last night) seems to have something in it according to someone on another forum. I guess we'll know soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Super-Rush wrote: »

FFS, just because they haven't spent it yet, doesn't mean they won't.

You have to have patience and wait for the right deal.

People here want us to just spend money and not look at the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

What makes you think that? We tried to get Henrikh Mkhitaryan for ~ £25M.

Did we though?

Its easy to say that.

Looks to me like a load of muscle flexing and mickey swinging ala Arsenal and Suarez.

This is doing the rounds on Twatter btw.

https://twitter.com/SportScript/status/362846902951215105/photo/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Dickerty wrote: »
    Every one? You mean the 2 they have signed so far? One of them (Chadli) most wouldn't have heard of, and I bet most hadn't heard of Paulinho until the Confed Cup. Soldado is the only one, and in reality if we keep Suarez, we didn't need him as badly as them, not €30M need.

Chadli is a Belgian international.

Paulinho is a Brazilian international.

Soldado has been one of the top tier strikers in Spain for at least 3 seasons.

they would all walk into our first team I'm afraid.

in terms of "waiting to see"...that is what I'm doing. but it has moved from a promise of strengthening the first team, to now hinting we won't buy for the sake of it. i hope it's what you say, just a way of now getting done for huge transfer fees. but that seems futile to me.

i mean, why tell us at all then that we're definitely going to strengthen the first team in the first place? surely clubs already know we're wanting to buy? clubs aren't dumb.

i just hope signings come in. or else you can kiss a top 4 challenge goodbye. that's what is at stake here.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Spurs are a significantly better prospect than Liverpool I'm afraid. They've finished in the top 4 in 2 of the last 4 seasons, and a fair way ahead of Liverpool in those years.

I don't see how they are way ahead. They sold Modric last year, and look like they will sell Bale now, both players that carried the team. The calibre of players they have is no better than ours. We scored more than them last season, and conceded less. But they turned draws into wins, something we failed to do particularly in the first half. Since then, we added Sturridge and Coutinho.

Right now today, I think we are a match for them. If we keep Suarez and they lose Bale (which is the way it's looking), it all depends on how they spend. Soldado and a top class wide player would tip it in their favour. But there is not as much in it as people think...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement