Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Pedalstool wrote: »
    Mr. Alan, LuckyLloyd and yourself. Does that not tell you something?

You know where the ignore feature is right?. Exercise that right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

opr wrote: »
    I didn't realise when Agger made those comments earlier that they were in response to actual interest from Barca. I ****ing love that man.

Opr

I think I have heard Agger say in the past that Barca is the one club that he would sign for.

Lets see how he reacts if Barca actually put in an offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You're coming across the worst in this by bitching and moaning tbh.

I am here to give my opinion, nothing else. I haven't the slightest bit of interest in how that comes across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

daithijjj wrote: »
    You know where the ignore feature is right?. Exercise that right!!

Why would I do that? I may disagree fundamentally with the three of you but its still intersting to read it.

I am pie wrote: »
    I am here to give my opinion, I haven't the slightest bit of interest in how that comes across.

I've noticed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I've noticed

OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

billy2012 wrote: »
    I think I have heard Agger say in the past that Barca is the one club that he would sign for.

Lets see how he reacts if Barca actually put in an offer.

Look back in the thread today. Someone already posted comments from him today saying he wants to stay at Liverpool even if Barca are interested.

Edit

BQbQGa_CMAADBet.jpg:large

Opr

I am pie wrote: »
    Not touchy at all, thanks for your warm concern. I am just explaining what I think is missing in your argument.

I see you've fallen short of addressing it.

Maybe discussions are for "little girls" or "retards" in your book.

READ CAREFULLY.

If i have called you or anyone else a retard in this thread today you can quote that post or kindly shut the f**k up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Diego Costa and Suarez on the same pitch would just be ridiculous in terms of bad behaviour!

We would have the 2 most hated players in the league on our team!

Anyway, i don't see it - not sure why Atleti will sell, he was very useful for them last season and with Falcao gone they need him.

He's a good player but I'm not sure if I'd want him. I think he's far better suited to Atleti's style of play

Morzadec wrote: »
    Diego Costa and Suarez on the same pitch would just be ridiculous in terms of bad behaviour!

Anyway, i don't see it - not sure why Atleti will sell, he was very useful for them last season and with Falcao gone they need him.

He's a good player but I'm not sure if I'd want him. I think he's far better suited to Atleti's style of play

It would depend on the price no? Surely his style would offer something we don't have, as an alternative to Sturridge.

• Advertisement

opr wrote: »
    Look back in the thread today. Someone already posted comments from him today saying he wants to stay at Liverpool even if Barca are interested.

Edit

BQbQGa_CMAADBet.jpg:large

Opr

I am aware.

As I said, lets see how he reacts if Barca come in with an official offer.

I hope he would say no, I love Agger and his love for Liverpool but Barca are Barca.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

You're coming across the worst in this by bitching and moaning tbh.

He maybe a Friend of yours, but Dalthijjj started the Mudslinging.

There's no Excuse in using Ad Hominems to try and prop up an Argument.

Sorry Mate, but you've got this one all Wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Quit the bickering or there will be cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Morzadec wrote: »

The sale of Falco did little for Atleticos finances as the third party owner took a large part of it, they still have a tax bill due.

David Villa and Leo Baptistao as their other main strikers. If they sell they'll pick up someone from the Portuguese league or similar for 4/5 million on loan.

As I said above Suarez will be off if this guy is signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Been taking a break from here today.
    What's the cliffs ?
    :P

Andre Ayew anybody?
    It's a league (the Premier League) every player dreams about," Ayew said.

"I speak English, and the English league is the one most followed here in Ghana. It's true that I have a real preference for England.

"I have a little preference for the Reds. I've always followed them ever since I was little, Liverpool, and Real Madrid."

Andre Ayew anybody?

I'll gladly take him over Costa.

But he got no Patch on Cissokho for the LFC Pimpin'. :D
    Cissokho admits he would welcome the opportunity to experience life at Anfield, but is reluctant to speculate on where his future will lie until a formal approach is made.

The 25-year-old full-back said: "I will not believe that I am going anywhere until I am in Liverpool and having a medical.

"Liverpool is such a great club, so to be linked with them is fantastic. But there is nothing concrete from anyone at the moment.

"If there is an opportunity to join such a club, I will take it. Valencia are a great club, in a great city, but Liverpool are a legendary club."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/media-watch/sky-sports-defender-likes-lfc-link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Been taking a break from here today.
    What's the cliffs ?
    :P

Leave, leave now. While you still can. :eek:

I'll gladly take him over Costa.

I didn't see much of him last year but he was impressive when I seen him previously. The type of player that would fit into Liverpools philosophy.

Why would I do that? I may disagree fundamentally with the three of you but its still intersting to read it.

Interesting how?. Do people think a few of us enjoy writing what we do about how we see the club?. You think we wouldn't be full of praise if they pulled off what the fans desire?. We just don't see it happening and are prepared to say so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

mike65 wrote: »
    Leave, leave now. While you still can. :eek:

I have tried but this place is like crack cocaine. Once it gets hold of you you're fcuked. I will try and stay away until after the weekend and comeback for the Monday meltdown :D.
    So no Soldado for us :(

I have tried but this place is like crack cocaine. Once it gets hold of you you're fcuked. I will try and stay away until after the weekend and comeback for the Monday meltdown :D.
    So no Soldado for us :(

We were never Interested in him. I think the same too for Diego Costa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Right now, this thread's about as much craic as standing barefoot in broken glass, at a Simply Red gig.

Or watching us play Villa at Anfield last season.

Interesting how?. Do people think a few of us enjoy writing what we do about how we see the club?. You think we wouldn't be full of praise if they pulled off what the fans desire?. We just don't see it happening and are prepared to say so.

Its interesting because seeing something from every side helps to form an opinion of your own. I don't necessarily have an issue with the opinion you have as to how quickly you have rushed to form it.

When Rodgers was appointed I took the view that it would take us 3 to 4 years to get back to the Champions League, if we were lucky.

The absolute last thing this club needs is more upheavel. The absolute last thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Knex. wrote: »
    Any recommendations on a taxi company to use around Liverpool? I'll be over for the few days and will probably have to get a few of them.

I use Delta, just ring them when you get off the plane and they will pick you up in the short term car park across from the terminal.

0151 922 7373

Just seen us linked with Guilherme Siqueira :):)

Don't see it happening but would be a very nice addition to the team and an improvement on the starting XI!!

Its interesting because seeing something from every side helps to form an opinion of your own. I don't necessarily have an issue with the opinion you have as to how quickly you have rushed to form it.

When Rodgers was appointed I took the view that it would take us 3 to 4 years to get back to the Champions League, if we were lucky.

The absolute last thing this club needs is more upheavel. The absolute last thing.

The only thing i can be accused of is consistency in my view.

When Rodgers was appointed the majority of opinion in here was that he would need someone with experience in the game above him. I challenge anyone to refute that this was not the case with most people. It didnt materialise. But now everyone is happy with it, i simply didnt change my view. It is others, who change their tune with the winds of time. Fair enough if people think they are correct in that, but dont tell me (or others like me) that i am judging too quickly. Its a judgement that was made before the appointment should that appointment come to pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

We were never Interested in him. I think the same too for Diego Costa.

You also think the first part though.

The only thing i can be accused of is consistency in my view.

When Rodgers was appointed the majority of opinion in here was that he would need someone with experience in the game above him. I challenge anyone to refute that this was not the case with most people. It didnt materialise. But now everyone is happy with it, i simply didnt change my view. It is others, who change their tune with the winds of time. Fair enough if people think they are correct in that, but dont tell me (or others like me) that i am judging too quickly. Its a judgement that was made before the appointment should that appointment come to pass.

So would it be fair to say you have no issue as such with Rodgers as a coach per say, more with the structure above him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

jenno86 wrote: »
    I use Delta, just ring them when you get off the plane and they will pick you up in the short term car park across from the terminal.

0151 922 7373

Much appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Why don't we go for Turan if we're trying to get someone from Madrid? He's meant to be a fan of LFC

James Pearce ‏@JamesPearceEcho 1m
    #LFC have bid 25m euros for Atletico Madrid's Brazilian striker Diego Costa. Full story on Echo site shortly.

Whammy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

So would it be fair to say you have no issue as such with Rodgers as a coach per say, more with the structure above him?

Well the fact that he feels so strongly about wanting somebody more experienced over him would in itself tell you he has issues with Rodgers as a coach.

Depends what you mean by coach. Some coaches have no say in what players come in, they are given players to work with. For all i know Sturridge and Coutinho were brought in by xfer committee and Borini/Allen were brought in by Rodgers himself.

The structure above him is wrong?. I've been saying that since before he signed a single player. I think the comparison i brought up with Spurs is perfectly applicable here. We finished behind them, what have we done about it?, what have they done?.

We have had 2 unfavoured CB's and had another retire. We have known this for at least 6 months. Why do people not question the club more on why at this late stage (it is late, league starts in 16 days) all we have brought in is a replacement for the retired one?.

I think there is a little irony in the fact that it will be some of the same people accuse me and others of not waiting until the window is shut but they were the same people delighted about getting business done early. So tell me this, why were 'you' (not you personally) delighted at getting business done early..........but not for anyone who might be deemed an immediate improvement to the first XI?. Makes no sense to me. For me, you come out the traps for those that improve your first team if you can and then worry about squad filler once you know how you fared, good or bad. This is a structural issue imho.

So what's this Costa chap like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

who the hell is Diego Costa , never heard of him until today , €25m wow - we could have challenged Spurs for Soldado at that price. Doesn't fill me with excitement that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

bidding for Costa?

we're hell-bent on being the most hated team in the league then.

glorious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

He's 4 years younger than Soldado.

That's all I know.

Hoki wrote: »
    who the hell is Diego Costa , never heard of him until today , €25m wow - we could have challenged Spurs for Soldado at that price. Doesn't fill me with excitement that's for sure.

Costa is 24. FSG like em young

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

€25m for Costa? About 10m too much in my eyes tbh.

He can play across the front three so it makes sense that we would be looking at him in that regard though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

bleacherreport.com
    By Allan Jiang on May 21, 2013

hi-res-168957628_crop_north.jpg?w=650&h=440&q=75

It’s easy to overlook Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa as the successor to Radamel Falcao’s throne because Costa, a 24-year-old Brazilian international, is the most hated La Liga footballer by a significant distance.

Laced with a motor-mouth that crosses all lines of civility, a habitual need to cry wolf despite being a hulking 6’2” centre-forward and a schadenfreude-filled persona—how could you not detest Costa?

He’s a quadruple threat: possesses Jordi Alba–esque petulance, is a nutter like Pepe, brings the game into disrepute a la Luis Suarez and comes from the Joey Barton-school of talking trash.

Yet, you can’t help but watch Costa masterfully troll opposing players into a madcap moment.
    Sevilla’s upstart midfielder, Geoffrey Kondogbia, a monk when compared to teammates Gary Medel and Ivan Rakitic, just had to kick a grounded Costa, even though Kondogbia had watched Medel, a hothead, capitulate to Costa earlier in the game.

Kondogbia, a Frenchman with African roots, claimed Costa made monkey noises during the game, according to Football Espana).

According to a report from Tim Conn of Inside Spanish Football, Alvaro Negredo said his teammates were well aware of Costa’s underhand tactics yet still succumbed to the temptation of hitting the bothersome Brazilian: "We know how Diego Costa provokes players and we fell into the trap."

Costa, a shamefully superlative instigator, has the dubious honour of having an opposing player’s saliva splattered over his face on two separate occasions.

Both times, the spitters, Antonio Amaya of Real Betis and Real Madrid's Sergio Ramos were crucified by the media, whereas Costa’s unsporting conduct was conveniently buried amidst the controversy.

Costa managed to have a running battle with half of Betis’ team, turning himself into a pinata as the Beticos players spent more time hacking him than pushing for an equaliser.

That game at the Vicente Calderon was filled with bizarrely amusing stories.

Canas, Betis’ holding midfielder, didn’t just casually stroll up to Costa and twist his ear, he also sardonically patted the Brazilian on the head, who was playacting with vintage Didier Drogba form.

When both teams were scuffling, the camera focused in on the fight, though Costa, the frizzy-haired big Brazilian and the guilty pleasure of football writers around the world, was nowhere to be seen.

Instead of barging his way into fracas in a manner associated with Jose Pinto, Barcelona’s backup goalkeeper/cheerleader/brawler, Costa sheepishly walked towards the melee with no intent of getting stuck in.

Well, what about Amaya’s reprehensible spit?

There’s an irreconcilable relationship between the two.

In a previous game, Costa jovially put on his finest Richard Sherman impression of “you mad, bro?” in front of Amaya. According to Sid Lowe of The Guardian, Amaya had this to say: "Costa was shouting and thanking me for the gift. If my teammates had not held me back, I would have killed him. That shows what kind of person he is: he has no heart and no shame."

With that context, you can't excuse Amaya's actions, but you understand his frame of mind.

The Ramos situation was an example of media outlets, who didn't watch the game, going to a ready-made storyline: "Real Madrid defender disgraces club again!"

Costa did the same thing, he had spat into his glove and flung his saliva at Ramos, but most of the press didn't mention that.

Christian Vieri, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Fernando Torres, Sergio Aguero, Diego Forlan, Falcao and Costa—wait, what?

Do you see how Costa's antics overshadow his potential to be Atletico's next great modern striker?

Casual footballing fans are more likely to know Costa as a troublemaker or the guy who was spat on twice, rather than a complete striker, who has grafted his way to the top having started from the bottom, just like Drogba, Olivier Giroud, Graziano Pelle and Dado Prso.

Valencia manager Ernesto Valverde believes Costa is slightly better than Falcao, who has scored 20 more league goals, according to Goal.com's Will Jones.

Alejandro Arribas, Osasuna's erratic defender who led La Liga in yellow cards last season and has the most red cards this season, says Costa is more superior than Falcao, as reported by Football Espana: "Diego Costa is now even more important than Falcao. He is a key player for any team. I would always want him on my team."

Arribas would know from firsthand experience having played with Costa at Rayo Vallecano, where the defender watched the Brazilian and Michu, now of Premier League side Swansea City, combine brilliantly in the 6-0 win over Arribas' future team, Osasuna.

Last season at Rayo, Costa started the least amount of games (15) for a player with 10 La Liga goals or more.

Who scored more goals in this season's Copa del Rey than Cristiano Ronaldo (7) and Lionel Messi (4)? Costa (8).

Are you aware that he has more league assists (7) than Leo (6), Angel Di Maria (5), Isco (1) and five of the seven players who've netted 17 goals or more this campaign?

Don't forget about that George Weah-like run vs. Espanyol, a 64-minute hat-trick against Osasuna in 2011 or his rags to riches story from street footballer to a pivotal piece of Diego Simeone's Atleti team.

Unlike Falcao, a traditional No. 9, Costa likes to float around like Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Costa is a more all-round forward than Falcao but lacks the prolific goalscoring to be considered a world-class striker.

In the past, the same criticism was levelled at Ibrahimovi, who was 27 years old when he first scored over 20 league goals in a season during the 2008-09 season for Inter Milan.

Here's a paragraph from a profile on Suarez, according to The Telegraph's Chris Bascombe:
    Impoverished youth, a broken home, the lack of a father figure as one of seven children, playing barefoot on cobbled streets.

Suárez, by his own admission, embraces what the Uruguayans call 'picardia'. Loosely translated, it means to be cunning, deceitful even.

You can see how he applies it on the field.

Suárez’s story is one of minimal education, maximum willpower and an unremitting lack of self-control.

A stop-at-nothing attitude where the lines between what is acceptable and intolerable are stretched.

Sound familiar?

Now, read this quote from Costa in this report by Richard Martin of Football Espana:
    Boys who grew up playing in academies are taught to control themselves and respect others, but no-one ever told me otherwise, I didn't have a school to teach me this.

The street was my school.

I was used to seeing players elbowing each other in the face and thought it was the norm.

Over the next few seasons in a post-Falcao Atletico team, you can hate Costa all you want, but like Suarez, you'll find it hard to deny his standing as one of the best forwards in the game.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1646824-atletico-madrid-diego-costa-falcaos-successor-and-la-ligas-most-hated-player

He must be related to Suarez.

Does he also like the taste of humans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Wouldn't mind seeing him at Liverpool. However €25 million is a lot. He seems to get a lot of his goals in the box, which is sorely needed.

We want have a fearsome offense this year, strike fear into any opposition.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

What does this mean?, ive never been away except for holidays and choosing not to post ;). Not that anyone gives a fk but i post the way i do because i have lost a bit of 'caring'.

Well, that was what I was getting at. Weren't you not posting for a decent period of time earlier in the year?

Depends what you mean by coach. Some coaches have no say in what players come in, they are given players to work with. For all i know Sturridge and Coutinho were brought in by xfer committee and Borini/Allen were brought in by Rodgers himself.

The structure above him is wrong?. I've been saying that since before he signed a single player. I think the comparison i brought up with Spurs is perfectly applicable here. We finished behind them, what have we done about it?, what have they done?.

We have had 2 unfavoured CB's and had another retire. We have known this for at least 6 months. Why do people not question the club more on why at this late stage (it is late, league starts in 16 days) all we have brought in is a replacement for the retired one?.

I think there is a little irony in the fact that it will be some of the same people accuse me and others of not waiting until the window is shut but they were the same people delighted about getting business done early. So tell me this, why were 'you' (not you personally) delighted at getting business done early..........but not for anyone who might be deemed an immediate improvement to the first XI?. Makes no sense to me. For me, you come out the traps for those that improve your first team if you can and then worry about squad filler once you know how you fared, good or bad. This is a structural issue imho.

In terms of the transfer commitee versus a Director of Football, I'm not sure either way. This is probably the first time the club has a manager without total responsibilty for transfers. I'm reserving judgement for now. The positive thing I will say for this transfer committee is that it undermines the authority of the manager less in my opinion.

In terms of the pace at which the club is moving to improve the first team, I think you are ignoring the efforts made to secure Mkhitaryan and Papadopoulos early in the window.

The biggest task Liverpool have is convincing players who will actually improve the first team, to come to Liverpool. Whether a Director of Football would have overcome this issue I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Hoki wrote: »

So you know nothing about him, but you've judged him already?

Ok then.

Wouldn't mind seeing him at Liverpool. However €25 million is a lot. He seems to get a lot of his goals in the box, which is sorely needed.

We want have a fearsome offense this year, strike fear into any opposition.

We should have plenty of cash to spend with all the outgoings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

If Suarez stays and we do sign Costa they'll be played in a rotation system.

One plays while the other is suspended :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

Costa, 24, originally came to Europe with Portuguese side Braga in 2006, but moved on to Atletico after a year.

They loaned him out three times before a permanent transfer to fellow Spaniards Valladolid in 2009.

After one season, Atletico bought him back, only to then loan him to Rayo Vallecano for the second half of the 2011-12 campaign.

€25m ehh...... then loan him to Napoli!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement