Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Well, that was what I was getting at. Weren't you not posting for a decent period of time earlier in the year?

I really dont remember. Might have taken a few weeks off from posting in Oct/Nov time maybe. Had better things to do that get called a troll ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

that video of him spitting in his glove x2 and flinging it at Ramos is horrid. That price doesn't equal the amount of ability we'd be getting imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Been offline all day.

I presume we are linked with about 15 players today. Anybody with a summary? And any 'real' links ie not some random twitter spacefiller?

And its for and against Costa signing evening?

Must get the popcorn and a beer so.

Carry on chaps.:)

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I agree with Knex's comment in regards to the fee over Costa, though I think due to his ability he could justify such a fee quite possibly. Anyone who has at all watched Atleti knows what a so and so he is. Watching what I type after my last infraction :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He must be related to Suarez.

Does he also like the taste of humans?

Suarez is an angel compared to this lad.

seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I agree with Knex's comment in regards to the fee regarding Costa, though I think due to his ability he could justify such a fee quite possibly. Anyone who has at all watched Atleti knows what a so and so he is. Watching what I type after my last infraction :)

I've seen very little of him. So you lads saying he should be going for 10m less due to his inclination for the darks arts? Ability wise should he be a 25m player?

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

We bring this one and Kelvin Oliveira from Porto, then we're all set. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

opr wrote: »
    I've seen very little of him. So you lads saying he should be going for 10m less due to his aversions for the darks arts? Ability wise should he be a 25m player?

Opr

I think the problem is that with such a paucity of strikers available across Europe, the prices are inflated.

I think most would agree that the fee for Soldado was very high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

He sounds like trouble to me. You 'd think after the Suarez business of the last couple of years we'd be very reluctant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

BBC is running with the Costa story now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I've seen very little of him. So you lads saying he should be going for 10m less due to his inclination for the darks arts? Ability wise should he be a 25m player?

Opr

He's a bit raw in some areas but he can be quite an explosive player, from what I've seen anyway. When you add in his controversial side I would say somewhere around 18m would be a fair price for both parties.

Like Nuri was saying, he could well go on and justify the 25m though, but its not a sure thing in my eyes. Then again, what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Dickerty wrote: »
    So you know nothing about him, but you've judged him already?

Ok then.

What are u on about ? I said at the quoted price the move doesn't fill me with excitement. Soldado cost spurs a similar price & he is a household name at this stage who has been banging in the goals for years. So for Costa to be in or around the same price i am a little sceptical.

Hoki wrote: »
    What are u on about ? I said at the quoted price the move doesn't fill me with excitement. Soldado cost spurs a similar price & he is a household name at this stage who has been banging in the goals for years. So for Costa to be in or around the same price i am a little sceptical.

Soldado cost £26m, so around €5m euro more (without me actually bothering to do any maths). Also, Costa is three/four years younger.

Knex. wrote: »
    He's a bit raw in some areas but he can be quite explosive at times, from what I've seen anyway. When you add in his controversial side I would say somewhere around 18m would be a fair price for both parties.

Like Nuri was saying, he could well go on and justify the 25m though, but its not a sure thing in my eyes. Then again, what is.

I think the club want a swift resolution and meeting the release clause does that.

I expect the club will be in the papers for all the wrong reasons again with this guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

So Costa can play anywhere in the front three, scored a lot of goals coming off the bench, and is a bit of a cheeky so and so, a bit like Suarez, sign him up! Then get Papa for defence and we're sorted, apart from loaning in a left back! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I told you all this was coming. Did I get any thanks for my insight? :pac:

Anyway forget talk of £22m that's his release clause and Liverpool will not be paying that. If this is a real goer then expect both sides to sue for peace at about 16 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

seen costa play plenty of times last season, watch a lot of la liga games ..always caught the eye as a threat and good goal scorer, wasnt aware he was so hated.. never heard the commentators mention it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Pedalstool wrote: »
    In terms of the transfer commitee versus a Director of Football, I'm not sure either way. This is probably the first time the club has a manager without total responsibilty for transfers. I'm reserving judgement for now. The positive thing I will say for this transfer committee is that it undermines the authority of the manager less in my opinion.

In terms of the pace at which the club is moving to improve the first team, I think you are ignoring the efforts made to secure Mkhitaryan and Papadopoulos early in the window.

The biggest task Liverpool have is convincing players who will actually improve the first team, to come to Liverpool. Whether a Director of Football would have overcome this issue I'm not sure.

Did you forget about Robbie Keane that quickly? :pac:

It may undermine less but it also dilutes responsibility. Who will be accountable?, individuals who all agreed? or the structure itself if it fails?.

We didnt get them, it has been said we were dithering etc on Mkhitaryan. And maybe we are still dithering, who knows. What i do know is that we had or should have more than a couple of targets. We should have portfolios full of them tbh.

Gazzetta dello Sport ran a story yesterday that Baldini was sent to Roma for Lamela. What do you think Levy thinks might be a better option?. He used to do the negotiating himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Swansea are playing in the Europa League against Malmo. Shelvey started the match for them in a deep lying midfield role and has done very well breaking up opposition play and was involved in creating the goal to give Swansea a 1-0 lead.

Forum favourite Wilfried Bony has been rubbish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Soldado cost £26m, so around €5m euro more (without me actually bothering to do any maths). Also, Costa is three/four years younger.

There's not too much difference in price between the two . I haven't seen him play so he might turn out to be an inspired buy & I hope he is .

• Advertisement

Costa scored a pretty good goal in the Copa Del Rey final after some outstanding play from Falcao, I think.

He played decent that night too. Think he was on the right wing and all as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

So we're buying someone to take the spot light off shared?

Opr

I think 15M is about right for him based on antics and ability at this moment in time, at a push, perhaps with add-ons adding up to around 20M I could get my head around.

Could he go on to justify a straight up 25M price tag now? Quite possibly yeah. As I said, talent isn't a question. I'd rather we had gone all out for Martinez after Soldado was out of the equation myself, but that looks too late now.

edit - Just after reading the bid is around £21.8M according to the Guardian.

The few times I seen him I didn't get the impression he was an out and out striker. I think he could play with Sturridge or Suarez(if he stays).

Swansea are playing in the Europa League against Malmo. Shelvey started the match for them in a deep lying midfield role and has done very well breaking up opposition play and was involved in creating the goal to give Swansea a 1-0 lead.

I thought he was having a pretty mediocre half I have to say. His best moments coming in the defensive third, luckily for him the Swans are just so happy to be in Europe the kind of groans that would greet his forward passing at Anfield are absent tonight! :p

Obligatory YT vid for those who haven't seen him:

So IF we keep Suarez and sign Costa, what way will the team lineout?

So Costa can play anywhere in the front three, scored a lot of goals coming off the bench, and is a bit of a cheeky so and so, a bit like Suarez, sign him up! Then get Papa for defence and we're sorted, apart from loaning in a left back! :)

Wrong on the Bolded.

He either Plays as a Striker or off one as a Second Striker.

Currently, we use Sturridge and Suarez as CF and Suarez as Second Striker. If we bring this one, where would he Play?

Vicxas wrote: »

This buy suggests Suarez is offski but to put a more palatable spin on things maybe its Borini who is off. He was linked with a Serie A side a little while back. Forget which one.

edit - Fiorentina

Chris Bascombe ‏@_ChrisBascombe 2m
    Should stress Costa is not seen by #lfc as a replacement for Suarez.

Loathe to quote the **** but it leads into my train of thought. I may know little about the players but if LFC buy this guy and another centre half such as Papa or someone of equal standard then I'll be happy that we have identified and purchased the two marquee signings the club feel are right and have spent the money. Keep Suarez and I can't really ask for much more.

Opr

• Advertisement

Wrong on the Bolded.

He either Plays as a Striker or off one as a Second Striker.

Currently, we use Sturridge and Suarez as CF and Suarez as Second Striker. If we bring this one, where would he Play?

I'm almost positive he played a good few games drifting in from the left, or predominantly the right.

Maybe you're right and he was a CF in those games and just naturally drifted out to wide positions, but I could have sworn he has played across the front three.

mike65 wrote: »
    This buy suggests Suarez is offski but to put a more palatable spin on things maybe its Borini who is off. He was linked with a Serie A side a little while back. Forget which one.

For sure this is the end of the line for Borini. I can't see how he has any future if we sign Costa and Suarez stays. Perhaps if Suarez does leave...

Knew/Sahin, How would you rate him compared to Turan? I would have thought he was just as get-able if we wanted to buy from them plus a similar fee and maybe more a Rodger's player? Does it seem strange or can you see the reason why we'd go for him instead? Costa more a goalscorer and Turan more a creator?

Opr

Vicxas wrote: »

He can play across the front 3.

The Suarez haterz are gonna love this guy :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Anyone know much about this Costa chap ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Knew/Sahin, How would you rate him compared to Turan? I would have thought he was just as get-able if we wanted to buy from them plus a similar fee and maybe more a Rodger's player? Does it seem strange or can you see the reason why we'd go for him instead? Costa more a goalscorer and Turan more a creator?

Opr

Rodgers was talking about adding goals to the team. Not sure Turan would provide that (based on stats rather than seeing him play).

Although he sounds quite the ****, has he been banned much?

The thing with Suarez isn't that he's a ****ehawk. It's that he's terrible at getting away with it. There's very little intelligence behind it. Everything he does comes straight from the gut and bypasses the brain.

There's plenty of cunty players who attracted way less attention down the years because they weren't thick enough to constantly stay in the limelight.

Suarez is the nutter who tries to rob Fort Knoxx in a tank. He could do with being more of a white-collar criminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Diego Costa says that he never takes his work home with him. Which is probably a good thing. If he did, the Atlético Madrid striker might walk through the door, goad the dog with a stick, surreptitiously elbow his wife out of the way on the stairs, shrug his shoulders innocently as she lay in a crumpled heap at the bottom and whisper insults to his children

Wow. What a sh1tty thing to write.

• Advertisement

Opr

Turan is a player I would love to sign and I do think he is ahead of Costa in terms of talent too, although they are fairly different players.

Arda for me would definitely be worth the 25m, if not 30m tbh. Thing is, he has come out a few times since the end of last season and said he wants to stay at Atletico, believing they have a squad that can once again challenge for the league.

Only two years left on his contract however so next season could well be a time to go all out to get him, providing he doesn't renew his current deal.

The only plus for Costa for me in terms of bringing him in over Turan, in the hypothetical that he wants to join, is that Costa would provide something different to what we already have in terms of attacking players.

He can be the bully that we wanted Carroll to be, or sort of anyway, while also having the technical ability to link up and play across the front.

Arda would be a better version/alternative to Eriksen in my eyes.

Edit: As Gbear said the potential for goals is definitely stronger with Costa, but Turan is capable of chipping in with a few himself, if not quite double figures, and is certainly involved in his fair share of goals. Secondary assists is something I'd love to see his stats for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Bony fan here and he just scored :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Bony scores a header from a peach of a cross from Routledge :p

Gbear wrote: »

Suarez is the nutter who tries to rob Fort Knoxx in a tank. He could do with being more of a white-collar criminal.

It's weird because off the pitch he seems so self-ware. The add he did recently, the drive in front of Moyes etc all makes you think he thinks about and is aware of his image.

Opr

I'm almost positive he played a good few games drifting in from the left, or predominantly the right.

Maybe you're right and he was a CF in those games and just naturally drifted out to wide positions, but I could have sworn he has played across the front three.

Go look through the video Nuri has posted. Watch him in relation to Falcao, and then tell me where he Plays.

Can he drift wide during Games? Sure.

Can we Play him on Wings? We played Shelvey and Hendo there, so Yeah.

But I'd rather we get a Natural Wide Forward, than use the Band Aid approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

€25m for Diego Costa(yet another overpriced la liga striker), 1 question if he ain't a replacement for Suarez & Sturridge is second choice I assume why are we buying him we need a winger and likely a centre back.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

This guy Costa isnt exactly a prolific goalscorer
    16 goals in 59 appearances for Athletico Madrid :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

If Costa signs he's going to be loved by other clubs fans

Opr

Big fan like everyone seemingly is in this thread of Arda going back to his Galatasaray days and when we played them in the CL years ago now, he was brilliant in the game at Anfield if anyone remembers. Thing with Arda is his production rate in terms of goals and assists, this is what let's him down and I feel this is something Rodgers is probably taking note of. Of course there are things like secondary assists or however people refer to that stat which might look at him more favourably.

But it's clear to me it's clear we're looking for someone who will truly contribute. Mkh would have been this for Liverpool. Gut feeling is that if we do keep Suarez and sign Costa, we'll line up something like this..
    Costa
    Suarez
    Sturridge

Coutinho

Go look through the video Nuri has posted. Watch him in relation to Falcao, and then tell me where he Plays.

Can he drift wide during Games? Sure.

Can we Play him on Wings? We played Shelvey and Hendo there, so Yeah.

But I'd rather we get a Natural Wide Forward, than use the Band Aid approach.

Why would I watch the video when I've seen him play in full games.

I agree that he's not a natural winger and I don't think its where he'll end up either, but I'm all but positive he's played a number of games from a wide berth.

Shelvey just had a hail mary shot there...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement