Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Go look through the video Nuri has posted. Watch him in relation to Falcao, and then tell me where he Plays.

Can he drift wide during Games? Sure.

Can we Play him on Wings? We played Shelvey and Hendo there, so Yeah.

But I'd rather we get a Natural Wide Forward, than use the Band Aid approach.

We getting one of them too, Lorenzo Melgarejo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

mike65 wrote: »

I thought he is a left back?

Quite a portfolio of South Americans we're developing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Big fan like everyone seemingly is in this thread of Arda going back to his Galatasaray days and when we played them in the CL years ago now, he was brilliant in the game at Anfield if anyone remembers. Thing with Arda is his production rate in terms of goals and assists, this is what let's him down and I feel this is something Rodgers is probably taking note of. Of course there are things like secondary assists or however people refer to that stat which might look at him more favourably.

But it's clear to me it's clear we're looking for someone who will truly contribute. Mkh would have been this for Liverpool. Gut feeling is that if we do keep Suarez and sign Costa, we'll line up something like this..
    Costa
    Suarez
    Sturridge

Coutinho

Would be heavily reliant on Lucas, and even Gerrard staying deep and allowing full backs to provide width then I think.

Could take some time to see it all click and look fluid as well as you have a number of players vying for the same space on the pitch.

Flip side, nightmare for opposition defenders and the movement in front of Coutinho and Gerrard should be excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

GTR63 wrote: »
    €25m for Diego Costa(yet another overpriced la liga striker), 1 question if he ain't a replacement for Suarez & Sturridge is second choice I assume why are we buying him we need a winger and likely a centre back.

I think I've twigged why. Maybe the Suarez story about the press is true. So how to you get the press off Suarez's back? Sign someone ten times worse!

Genius.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

This guy Costa isnt exactly a prolific goalscorer
    16 goals in 59 appearances for Athletico Madrid :confused:

True, but he's been thrown all over the place for Atleti to be fair to him. 7 goals and 12 assists last season. Again going back to his potential. I could see him being a 15 goal in the league a season player at least if he does really develop.

15 goals from where I think he'll play if Suarez stays, that being LW I meant.

Melgarejo will be cover for both LB and LW IMO, if and when we sign him.

Also, #Bony2K13 is on his hat trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Melgarejo will be cover for both LB and LW IMO, if and when we sign him.

Have you seen much of him, out of interest?

Especially interested in his loan when he played predominantly on the wing. Stat wise he seemed fairly productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

mike65 wrote: »

Sure.

But if we're going to spend 25M for Costa, why not throw that to Bayern or Barca and see if we can Pry either Shaqiri or Sanchez/Tello?

We get a Natural Wideman to provide Pace and Width. Not to mention, we keep Balance on the Side.

Suarez--Sturridge--Shaqiri/Tello/Sanchez
    Coutinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

If this is our 'marquee signing' it's yet another sign of the times I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

If Costa signs, he's replacing Suarez. It's that simple

Knex. wrote: »
    Have you seen much of him, out of interest?

Especially interested in his loan when he played predominantly on the wing. Stat wise he seemed fairly productive.

Nah, not really. Only watched Benfica in the EL a couple of times against Chelsea and Fenerbache(?), against Porto and half kept an eye on a betting stream in lesser games. Not someone I really noticed tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

True, but he's been thrown all over the place for Atleti to be fair to him. 7 goals and 12 assists last season. Again going back to his potential. I could see him being a 15 goal in the league a season player at least if he does really develop.

15 goals from where I think he'll play if Suarez stays, that being LW I meant.
    People moaning about him not scoring goals show just how little they know about Atletico. Falcao was obviously their main striker last season, and Costa very often played second fiddle to him either as a deep-lying striker or being deployed directly on the wing.

Sure.

But if we're going to spend 25M for Costa, why not throw that to Bayern or Barca and see if we can Pry either Shaqiri or Sanchez/Tello?

We get a Natural Wideman to provide Pace and Width. Not to mention, we keep Balance on the Side.

Coutinho

I think Sterling will feature quite a lot for Liverpool this season. A lot of people saying he's been very impressive in training. He was in the friendlies he played.

It was suggested they dropped their interest in Atsu on the back of Sterlings attitude and performance in training.

Sure.

Coutinho

Shaqiri is a no goer, at least for one more season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I've already backed Swansea for a top eight finish.

throwing-money.gif

Opr

Sid Lowe: "Diego Costa says that he never takes his work home with him. Which is probably a good thing.

If he did, the Atlético Madrid striker might walk through the door, goad the dog with a stick, surreptitiously elbow his wife out of the way on the stairs, shrug his shoulders innocently as she lay in a crumpled heap at the bottom and whisper insults to his children, look the other way and whistle when they burst into tears. He might stroll into the living room and dramatically collapse on the floor, roll around the rug holding his head and appeal for a penalty. He might even get it too."

:D

A few thoughts on Diego Costa (reportedly the subject of a £21M offer from Liverpool, according to @guardian_sport) coming up...

1) Physical and well-built second striker who prefers to roam/play wide (and deep). Very hard to mark due to "rough" playing style/agility

2) Extremely "intense"/all action in his playing style, won't have any problems holding his own in the PL

3) Rather "unpolished" and raw, not the most tactically disciplined. Needs space and license to roam in order to fully prosper

4) Consequently not a superb finisher or typical 20 goal a season man (though decent goal scoring record the past two seasons)

5) Prone to the odd "antics" on the pitch, not to everybody's taste but personally I do like him very much. Strong mentality, a fighter

6) As for the price: hard to judge in a highly inflated market. £20M seems to be minimum for a forward from a major league top club...

7) Soldado (Spurs) & Negredo (Man City) more "talented" & prolific, but Diego Costa's mentality/playing style may even be more suited to PL

Pedalstool wrote: »
    I think Sterling will feature quite a lot for Liverpool this season. A lot of people saying he's been very impressive in training. He was in the friendlies he played.

It was suggested they dropped their interest in Atsu on the back of Sterlings attitude and performance in training.

The same Logic could be applied to Costa as well. We already have Suarez, Aspas, Sturridge and Borini, for Strikers, so why would we need another one?

If we're going to play him on the Wings, same thing. We already got Options there.

The only Problem with our Options there, is that they are either Young (Ibe, Sterling) or Ineffective (Downing).

So in this Case, upgrading our Wing Options is actually the more Logical thing to do.

• Advertisement

Shaqiri is a no goer, at least for one more season.

According to Rummenigge, no Formal Offers have been made for Shaqiri.

We won't know if he's a "Non-goer", as you say, if we don't even try.

AS English ‏@English_AS 1m
    Atlético have refuted claims that they have received an offer from Liverpool for Diego Costa, saying he is not for sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Atlético have refuted claims that they have received an offer from Liverpool for Diego Costa, saying he is not for sale.

Grand so. 25 million plus 1.

According to Rummenigge, no Formal Offers have been made for Shaqiri.

We won't know if he's a "Non-goer", as you say, if we don't even try.

Probably because clubs will be put off with what Bayern will want for him, not that I expect them to sell him as I said above. Pep is also known to be a big fan of his too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

20 mill for a striker, theres yer ambition, has quickly become the most annoying word posted here recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Vicxas wrote: »
    Shelvey just had a hail mary shot there...

And what has that to do with the Liverpool thread
    He is a Swansea player now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Good.

What? I'm quite happy as I'm sure others are to find out how he's getting on? Stop being so ****ing anal. This thread covers enough rubbish without being upset about updates on a former player from last season.

Opr

Reckon Costa would gobble up the goals in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Good.

I hope we get him , he seems to be very much like Suarez in regard to the fact he is a fighter on the pitch and we could do with a few of them . I can't understand anyone who doesn't want us to sign him .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

It was an observation as he WAS a liverpool player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

opr wrote: »
    What? I'm quite happy as I'm sure others are to find out how he's getting on? Stop being so ****ing anal. This thread covers enough rubbish without being upset about updates on a former player from last season.

Opr

It's constant if its not rafa it's alonso the amount of time lamenting about past players and managers is unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Vicxas wrote: »
    It was an observation as he WAS a liverpool player.

I wouldn't even bother explaining yourself to a ratty comment like that.

More of topic - Bony finished up with 2 goals and an assist.

Can't believe other teams were not interested in him, serious player for pennies considering what half decent strikers are going for nowadays.

Think he will really push Swansea on a level or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

if we did sign Costa and also managed to land Papadopoulous then we would have some real characters in the dressing room, can imagine a few tasty scraps :D

I hope we get him , he seems to be very much like Suarez in regard to the fact he is a fighter on the pitch and we could do with a few of them . I can't understand anyone who doesn't want us to sign him .

For €25m you want to be paying for more than fight and effort its ability that has Suarez at the price we have him.

It's constant if its not rafa it's alonso the amount of time lamenting about past players and managers is unreal

That's fair enough but those things are way in the past. This is a guy who left us only last season. He's a young, promising player with talent who I'm interested to see whether we made the right decision in letting him go. I'd be surprised and quite disappointed if we haven't worked out some deal with Swansea that we can buy him back for a certain fee if he goes onto develop into Liverpool player. I don't think it's anything like posts harping back to the past days of Benitez and Co.

Opr

For €25m you want to be paying for more than fight and effort its ability that has Suarez at the price we have him.

We need more players like that at the club right now . I hope we do sign him as it could mean less game time for Downing which will be a good thing for the club .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If this is our 'marquee signing' it's yet another sign of the times I'm afraid.

Who said we were making a marquee signing and what defines it? Purely value?

Coutinho was not a marquee signing in January and look at his status now?

We need more players like that at the club right now . I hope we do sign him as it could mean less game time for Downing which will be a good thing for the club .

He's not a winger and i'd rather give Ibe and Sterling the chance than Downing. Hell i'd give Pascoe a runout ahead of Downing at this stage.

Downing's days are surely numbered at Liverpool. Thank föck.

ush wrote: »
    Downing's days are surely numbered at Liverpool. Thank föck.

I think he could be decent back up, squad game and all that.

• Advertisement

He's not a winger and i'd rather give Ibe and Sterling the chance than Downing. Hell i'd give Pascoe a runout ahead of Downing at this stage.

It doesn't matter where he plays just aslong as Downing is turfed out the door .

Nuri Sahin posted this earlier and I reckon we could line up like this .

Costa
    Suarez
    Sturridge

Coutinho

So we will have three strikers who can roam and cause havoc with their movement .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Id imagine if we were to sign Costa that he would be bought mainly as an AM.

The price seems quite high but Atletico always get big money for their players.

I personally would be all for us him signing. I like the idea of having a big lad in the AM role with Coutinho drifting in from the left.

He's a striker who can do a job across the front three. Downing can sometimes do a job on the right. Downing was bought under a more traditional set up with a tall striker to aim at. With a front three you can have widemen and strikers. Its all good.

Here's a video in Spansh showing his antics against Real Madrid.

He seems to be trouble all right.

Throwing saliva in someone's face is worse than biting , or is it?

He's not a winger, you're right. He's a wing forward or simply put, a forward. :P

murpho999 wrote: »

Here's a video in Spansh showing his antics against Real Madrid.

He seems to be trouble all right.

Pfft, it's a sign of endearment. Man up :D

murpho999 wrote: »

Was it saliva? I was hoping it was snot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

BREAKING NEWS! Spurs in last minute bid for Diego Costa. They have never heard if him but if lfc want him then he must be good mustn't he?

Robbed from twitter

ush wrote: »
    Was it saliva? I was hoping it was snot!

Really? That's not nice

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It's a display of endearment in Brazil.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement