Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

The true acid test here is whether people would have taken this at the start of the summer.

Would you rather have Soldado for 26m.

Or would you rather have Costa/Aspas for 32m.

Everyone knows the answer here. But some will hide behind their agenda's :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

daithijjj wrote: »
    The true acid test here is whether people would have taken this at the start of the summer.

I'll take Aspas + RW for 32M.

But do paint us with your broad strokes, if it makes you feel better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Still no sign for cover for lucas of some steel in midfield.

Looks like we are banking on lucas returning and perhaps surpassing his pre injury form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why don't we just wait and see? I think that Aspas could be a surprise and do quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not sold on Costa at all

Sounds like he will need to be phenomenal on the pitch to make up for the trouble he will doubtless cause

His only suspensions recently have been due to an excess of yellow cards, his only had one red in his career and that was in 2008/9 season.

First it was why are Liverpool not signing anyone at a certain level, and now its why are Liverpool paying too much?

Keep moving those goal posts!

^^^^^^^^^ the lolz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

delw wrote: »
    Sorry if it was posted earlier but Jack Robinson gone to Blackpool on loan deal.
    Good luck to him,hope he gets game time

You should have wished him well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

It’s easy to overlook Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa as the successor to Radamel Falcao’s throne because Costa, a 24-year-old Brazilian international, is the most hated La Liga footballer by a significant distance.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1646824-atletico-madrid-diego-costa-falcaos-successor-and-la-ligas-most-hated-player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Still no sign for cover for lucas of some steel in midfield.

I don't think Rogers wants us to play with a steely, ball-winner but nothing else kind of CM. It's not the style he wants.

That said Papadopolous can play there if needed. Hopefully reports from earlier (Football Mercado) of a bid going through are true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Not too sure on this Costa lad especially for 20m :eek: Granted I've only seen him play twice but on both occasions he struggled up front and missed a glut of chances in one match I remember well as had money on him :o

good gambling strategy right there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i think regular watchers of Atletico Msdrid last season will tell u Costa was there best player in the 2nd half of the season

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why don't we just wait and see? I think that Aspas could be a surprise and do quite well.

I never said anything about what i think Aspas may or may not do, only yesterday i posted that i thought he me may be good/crap. I dont know what he will be like, nobody does, Voronin was decent pre season when he joined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I don't think Rogers wants us to play with a steely, ball-winner but nothing else kind of CM. It's not the style he wants.
    Maybe being linked to to likes of Miktaryan and now Costa, BR actually does want a steely ball winner with some creative flair but in the AM role to compliment the likes of Coutinho, Aspas, Sturridge and hopefully Suarez. Henderson did a good job last year in that role and was involved in alot of our attacks by harrassing and breaking from the midfield/final 3rd. It will be interesting couple weeks anyhow but we still do need some cover for Lucas as we dont have anyone else really...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Costa - £21.8m
    Aspas - £7.7m

Thats £29.5m vs the £26m for Soldado just to be pedantic. I'd have taken the Soldado deal but I am willing to give the Costa deal a fair go as I don't know a lot about the guy. If he can up his game in the Premier League then I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Grayditch wrote: »
    Rodgers-Thumbs.png

"This lad's got it"

Cheesy but it's true.
    Kess73 wrote: »
    Said earlier today when Mike first mentioned him that he is similar to Suarez in terms of temperament, but with a fraction of the footballing genius although having a fraction of what Suarez has still means you have decent ability.

€25m for him will see Madrid laughing to the bank imho. He is not a bad player when he concentrates on playing, but he can at times be like a cross between Drogba at his diving worst and Barton at his vilest.

Snipes at players on the other team and at times on his own team. Fairly volatile with supporters as well.

At times is the worst play actor on the pitch what with his diving, feigning injury, dirty fouls, and has had three or four accusastions of racists comments against him, so pretty much Suarez on speed in terms of on pitch personality..

He is a dirtbag of the highest order but I do think he is a decent footballer with the potential to become very good. No doubt the fee is high buts that's Atletico for ya.

TBH, I surprised we are looking at him with all the **** the club has gone through with Suarez.

He would be far from my 1st choice but still think he would improve the 1st 11.

He scores goals, he creates / assists and he ****s people up!!
    :D[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Why can't we stick an extra 5 million to the Costa money and take Muniain or Turan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sounds like a younger, stronger version of Bellamy. Yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

76h9GV.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I never said anything about what i think Aspas may or may not do, only yesterday i posted that i thought he me may be good/crap. I dont know what he will be like, nobody does, Voronin was decent pre season when he joined.

Fair enough but I just find that there is a general air of negativity here about Aspas for no reason at all.

Also, not nice of you to mention Voronin, I had almost erased his LFC days from my memory.

Hoki wrote: »
    Costa - £21.8m
    Aspas - £7.7m

Thats £29.5m vs the £26m for Soldado just to be pedantic. I'd have taken the Soldado deal but I am willing to give the Costa deal a fair go as I don't know a lot about the guy. If he can up his game in the Premier League then I'm all for it.

The over riding point here is that this club should have been in the running for someone like Soldado.

We can have more bodies etc in attack but we can only play so many. Ultimately, the game is about quality, Soldado is quality. We could bring in 4 players for what Soldado or Costa will cost, doesnt really mean anything unless you improve your first team. Soldado is a level above those two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

MD1990 wrote: »
    i think regular watchers of Atletico Msdrid last season will tell u Costa was there best player in the 2nd half of the season

He is.

I quite like Costa. Antics and all. Just not sure, if he is what we need.

If you look back at the 2nd Half of Last Season, we've Played some of our Best Football in Years. We've gone and battered Clubs. And that's despite Downing starting most of them.

Now Imagine instead of us going with Downing back then, we're starting with Tello/Shaqiri/Sanchez... we could have Won more Games. A definite possibility.

So for me, I definitely prefer if we upgrade our RW. I think it will have a more Positive Effect in our Attack, than the Addition of another CF. But that's just my Opinion.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Fair enough but I just find that there is a general air of negativity here about Aspas for no reason at all.

Also, not nice of you to mention Voronin, I had almost erased his LFC days from my memory.

Negative because i want better players/starters in the team?. Its got nothing to do with Aspas (or any other players) as individuals.

And as for Voronin, i always thought he was crap, said so in here, took same flak with him as i did with Borini comments, had an argument with Jesus thats gre and we both got 24 hours off boards back then. Didnt change the fact he was sh1te, continued to be sh1te and left. I will speak my mind, dont like it, tough fkin luck :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I don't see the need to buy another nutter.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Really hope Suarez stays now, if Costa is the replacement im underwhelmed but to be honest you wont get a player anywhere like his quality. Id have been underwhelmed with soldado as replacement too.

No replacing Suarez. Retain him and bring in a few genuine quality players the fight for cl will be very interesting next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

K-9 wrote: »

Done a small bit of reading/watching vids on him and hes not really a nutter, seems to draw alot of fouls but dosent seem to lash out like suarez.
    Him, aspas and the greek (if he signs?) seem to be tough/hard characters exactly what we needed in the villla/west ham/stoke/west brom fixtures last season were nothing was going right and we were muscled out of it and collectively folded. Those games imo were the achilles heel of our season. If these lads rectify this problem then happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Some more Suarez clause talk

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfers-arsenal-target-suarez-2114488

I wonder if the only reason he hasn't kicked up more of a fuss is because it's Arsenal. If Chelsea make a bid, he might take a different stance altogether.

klose wrote: »
    Done a small bit of reading/watching vids on him and hes not really a nutter, seems to draw alot of fouls but dosent seem to lash out like suarez.
    Him, aspas and the greek (if he signs?) seem to be tough/hard characters exactly what we needed in the villla/west ham/west brom fixtures last season were nothing was going right and we were muscled out of it and collectively folded. Those games imo were the achilles heel of our season. If these lads rectify this problem then happy days

Ya lukaku and benteke bullied us last season, a strong tough spine is whats needed.

A return to form of lucas would be a huge boost in rectifying that problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

it's a weird transfer period and kinda like last season. I think we need a RW, DM, DC (providing Suarez stays) -and they all have to be better players than we have at the moment.

At the moment I'm not gonna cry and bitch that we haven't got them yet. But if we go into the season without 2 of those positions filled I wont be happy :(

RE: Costa - i dont think i've ever seen him play but looking at those youtube clips i dont think we should be paying £20m+ for him. He doesn't look fast or technically good with the ball at his feet. What I do like is that he's in the box for tap ins and he seems like he gets stuck in.

If we are buying him as a RW i wouldn't be a fan as I think we need a pacy player that beats defenders and i dont think he is it judging by the clips. If he is signed then I will trust the judgement of the management team and see how it goes before I start giving grief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

rob316 wrote: »
    Ya lukaku and benteke bullied us last season, a strong tough spine is whats needed.

A return to form of lucas would be a huge boost in rectifying that problem.

Tbh if you are looking for a tough spine of a team, Lucas isn't your man. His tackling seriously improved from when he joined, but his reading of the game was his strength, he was able to spot danger and more often than not snuff it out.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfers-arsenal-target-suarez-2114488

I wonder if the only reason he hasn't kicked up more of a fuss is because it's Arsenal. If Chelsea make a bid, he might take a different stance altogether.

Rubbish, said we verbally agreed to let Suarez go if a bid of 35m came in. That John Cross is some arsenal fan-boy.

IMO the club will not sanction a transfer to Arsenal at any price, they are not stupid the fan backlash would be huge. Not that I see Arsenal going to 55 million anyway, that would involve setting a British transfer record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I like the look of Costa.

I didn't realise he was 6'2"!!! He looks like he would be a very good foil in the mentioned Costa/Sturridge/Suarez trio with Coutinho supporting.

Given the physiques of our current front men, we don't really possess a guy whom a defense would necessarily dread playing from a physical point of view. He would change that. No, he may not have the same technical capabilities of Suarez etc, but we don't need everyone to have that. I like his conversion stats too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Tell ye lads, I love reading this thread. Some great posters. But if I read it at 7 o clock and then come back at 10, there's like another 300 pages.

Calm the feck down lads! Going through new threads in no time id say!!

Corvo wrote: »
    Tell ye lads, I love reading this thread. Some great posters. But if I read it at 7 o clock and then come back at 10, there's like another 300 pages.

93 pages

Change your settings :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Corvo wrote: »

Aww. You Liverpool fans are adorable.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

quarryman wrote: »
    Aww. You Liverpool fans are adorable.

How's your pal doing these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Finds grown men adorable.

mourinho-wink.gif?w=830

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Please stop with the Clause if there was one then it would be a case of Suarez leaving and the club having to accept it . Since he is still here it's safe there is no release clause .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Oscorp wrote: »
    76h9GV.png

I haven't a breeze what that means. .:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

I haven't a breeze what that means. .:P

Batman! !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

amber69 wrote: »
    Batman! !

Rodgers, hands on Costa's shoulders: "Diego..... You're my number one guyyyyyyy"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

K-9 wrote: »

He's a player with a lot of years ahead of him, so (like the aforementioned Bellamy) he has time to mature. The Spanish league would bring out the worst in a player for diving and posturing. But as has been stated, he's not a dirty player, he stays on the pitch. Half of the incidents people are speaking about were from a single game against Real, their hated rivals. So maybe he was taking one for the team.

For the same reasons I want to keep Suarez, I'd like this guy to come in. Definately has goals and assists in him, busy and dangerous. I trust that we can bring out the best in him, and hopefully the change of environment (and having some fellow Brazilians aruound) will be good for him...

Looking at this footage, he reminds me a LOT of Luis. Not the quick feet, but he does have seriuos speed over a distance, and can appear as a winger, #10 or in the 6 yard box. Definately the kind of flexibility we want across the attack. I could see him, Sturridge and Luis scaring a lot of defenses...in more ways than one!

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Rodgers, hands on Costa's shoulders: "Diego..... You're my number one guyyyyyyy"

Then Diego leaves, and Luis comes in, and he does the same thing.
    Then Luis leaves, and Daniel comes in......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭CSF

As someone who watched Atletico most weeks, I'm a little perplexed as to what Liverpool are seeing in Costa to think he is worth over the 20 million mark. Can only wager the Bale transfer has completely thrown things out of sync. He ain't great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

CSF wrote: »
    As someone who watched Atletico most weeks, I'm a little perplexed as to what Liverpool are seeing in Costa to think he is worth over the 20 million mark. Can only wager the Bale transfer has completely thrown things out of sync. He ain't great.

I agree. This would be an Allen signing in terms of value.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭skydish79

what would he offer to Liverpool, rather than looking at youtube highlights, what type of player is he over 90 minutes.

Would you value him at €20million?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Why can't we stick an extra 5 million to the Costa money and take Muniain or Turan?

They may have been sounded out but not willing to join Liverpool football club at this time, (or maybe the scouts know better than internet jockeys - I just put that out there for consideration).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The guy is a Brazilian international coming off the back of a very good season.

Some people need to get real and understand that the numbers aren't that big any more.

United signed Anderson for £20m and Nani for £17m in 2007.

spockety wrote: »
    The guy is a Brazilian international coming off the back of a very good season.

Some people need to get real and understand that the numbers aren't that big any more.

United signed Anderson for £20m and Nani for £17m in 2007.

Ya I don't know much about Costa but I was thinking the same. Young Brazilian international striker, £20 million doesn't sound like a whole lot. Athletico always get a good price for there players.

Hes looks just the type of forward Rodgers likes, very versatile and potential for big things. A pal of mine who follows La Liga religiously said the price was maybe a slight bit too high but he is perfectly suited to the premiership.

I trust the committee on this, if they think hes the right guy, hes the right guy until otherwise proven.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement