Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I remember the days you could buy Dalglish and Rush and still have enough left over for a pretty decent house!
    Spending a fortune on tv subscriptions and this is where our money is going :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

spockety wrote: »
    The guy is a Brazilian international coming off the back of a very good season.

Some people need to get real and understand that the numbers aren't that big any more.

United signed Anderson for £20m and Nani for £17m in 2007.

And Bebe went for £8M, and Carroll just sold for £15M+?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

It makes no sense buying costa for 25 million and letting a player go we paid 35 million for for 15.
    Andy Carroll would create and score as many as costa IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I agree. This would be an Allen signing in terms of value.

He'd improve the first-team though, no? I mean, you can't just be concerned with the money-side of a transfer.

Too many accountants on this thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Some more Suarez clause talk

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfers-arsenal-target-suarez-2114488

I wonder if the only reason he hasn't kicked up more of a fuss is because it's Arsenal. If Chelsea make a bid, he might take a different stance altogether.

John Cross wrote that.

He knows what windows taste like, so I wouldn't take any notice of what he says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I remember the days you could buy Dalglish and Rush and still have enough left over for a pretty decent house!
    Spending a fortune on tv subscriptions and this is where our money is going :(

Kenny D cost Liverpool a British record sum of 440,000 pounds in 1977. That's some pad.

If he's called coming in and Suarez is staying I'm all for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It makes no sense buying costa for 25 million and letting a player go we paid 35 million for for 15.

This is football, who said it would make sense?

From what I can see of him he has a bit more about him than Carroll and won't
    costa as much (Sorry).

Just worried we're buying another nut case who will damage our reputation further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,691 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I wont pretend to know anything about costa myself but on the 5live world footy phone-in he was mentioned by mina ? (Europe expert) a few months back as coming into his own after falcao and she seemed very impressed by his play. Just throwing it in there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Liverpool have bid in excess of £20m for Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa, according to Sky sources.

The offer is believed to have triggered a release clause in Costa's contract.

Costa, 24, scored 10 goals in La Liga last season, and Atletico are reportedly prepared to let him go as they have signed David Villa from Barcelona.

Costa joined Atletico from Valladolid in 2010 and made his international debut for Brazil in March this year.

Costa, a powerful 6'2" striker, would become the fourth most expensive signing in Liverpool's history after Andy Carroll (£35m), Fernando Torres (£26m) and Luis Suarez (£22.8m)

The attempt to sign Costa is not however believed to mean Liverpool are resigned to losing Suarez.

More to follow...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

murpho999 wrote: »
    This is football, who said it would make sense?

From what I can see of him he has a bit more about him than Carroll and won't
    costa as much (Sorry).

Just worried we're buying another nut case who will damage our reputation further.
    Costa-Suarez-Aspas.

All we need is Bellamy to come on as sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

he is a very good player, there is actually little doubt about that at all.

he is, though, a punt of sorts.

he's quite flakey in his form at times, and he's also as hateable a guy as you've ever seen on a football field. some of his behaviour is pure scrote.

if we were getting him for £12-15m, we'd be paying about his market value. £22m is steep. but as with a lot of signings, it might work, it might not.

i really don't know why we're going for a character like him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,691 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The offer is believed to have triggered a release clause in Costa's contract.

Irony ??

Does he get banned much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

he makes aspas look like a bargain!

No. No.

No.

Apples to oranges. Carroll can play ONE position. We have to play to suit him. Absolutely no comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

mike65 wrote: »
    They may have been sounded out but not willing to join Liverpool football club at this time, (or maybe the scouts know better than internet jockeys - I just put that out there for consideration).

Ah now Mike, whats with all this logic? :D

Surely no one knows more than internet 'international quality scouts' and 'financial experts'. 'Financial experts' who haven't yet mastered the concept of supply and demand.

Seriously, some people seem to think buying a player is like doing the shopping..'I'll have a Papadopolous for £12m and a Soldado for £23m please'.:rolleyes:

SlickRic wrote: »
    i really don't know why we're going for a character like him though.

Because the top teams wouldn't touch him (for behaviour reasons rather than football), so he's an achievable target??

Calm Down! Calm Down!

2w39nw8.jpg

calm-down.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Calm Down! Calm Down!

2w39nw8.jpg

Jesus I havent seen Costa since he put in a great performance in Ghost back in the day....

220px-Rick_Aviles.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

rob316 wrote: »
    Ya lukaku and benteke bullied us last season, a strong tough spine is whats needed.

A return to form of lucas would be a huge boost in rectifying that problem.

I think I would prefer us to concentrate on adding the strong tough spine to the defence instead of the attack - big tough centre halves instead of centre forwards. I think you need steel at the back but more finesse, pace & creativity up front.

Don't know much about Costa but from what I've seen & read now I think it's a major risk & could be a very expensive mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Willie Lopez!

So Costa has got 2 caps for Brazil (2013). Anyone know if he is in contention for a world cup spot or what they think of him in Brazil??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

wonder how we found out about his release clause amount... swings n roundabouts folks .. transfers and tapping up etc etc are far more intricate then we will ever realise,and far more common .

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

barone wrote: »
    wonder how we found out about his release clause amount... swings n roundabouts folks .. transfers and tapping up etc etc are far more intricate then we will ever realise,and far more common .

How do you know we did? And did we bid a paltry €1 above it? ;)

• Advertisement

barone wrote: »

Its ok when we do it to someone else but not when someone does it to us.

irony.gif

Seamu$ wrote: »
    I think I would prefer us to concentrate on adding the strong tough spine to the defence instead of the attack - big tough centre halves instead of centre forwards. I think you need steel at the back but more finesse, pace & creativity up front.

Don't know much about Costa but from what I've seen & read now I think it's a major risk & could be a very expensive mistake.

Luis was a risk
    Daniel was a risk
    Coutinho was a risk

Yes, it's a lot of money, but most people seem to suggest that on ability, he's a very capable player, and at only 24, plenty of time to either get him performing or find somewhere else for him while recovering a good part of his fee...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

ill tell ya one thing. If LFC make 4th with Aspas, Sturridge, Suarez, Coutinho and Costa as our attacking outlets, it will be the most hard worked 4th place i will ever have seen.
    As a group they would certainly seem to have the determination to take on the challenge.
    Suarez and Costa are the type of players i want in my team against Stoke, Fulham and Villa, away, in Jan/Feb in the freezing cold, when no1 wants to be in England. They will win us these games, through stubbornness alone.

Costa? A great player? I dont know. But will his sheer work rate and presence be something that can push us on? IMHO yes.

Lucas Leiva believes Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard could easily slot in Brazil’s national side.

The 33-year-old is set to cap a decorated Reds career as the England skipper faces Olympiakos in his testimonial on Saturday.

And Lucas, who has played alongside Gerrard since joining the club from Gremio in 2007, rates Ronaldinho as one of his best-ever team-mates from their time playing for A Seleção.

However, the 26-year-old insists Gerrard is a more complete player than the former Barcelona midfielder, who masterminded the Catalan side’s Champions League success in 2006.

“Definitely – he would be one of the starters, of course,” Lucas told Liverpool’s website.

“He has been a world-class player for many years. Everyone that speaks about him, and players from Brazil, rate him very highly.

“He’s probably the best, I would say the most complete player. I had the chance to play with Ronaldinho and other magic players but Stevie has everything.

“He is able to score goals but he can still defend very well. I think he is the best midfielder I have played with. When I came here very young, I was lucky to be able to watch him a lot and learn.

“It’s a different style of play but you can still learn a lot from him, and I’m still learning to be honest.”

I'm getting Gerrardinho on the shirt this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Sounds like a younger, stronger version of Bellamy. Yes please.

Aspas would be the one that plays and acts like a younger Bellamy on the pitch. Very similar playing style and very similar on pitch spikey personality.

Costa would be much closer to the likes of Pepe and Joey Barton at their worst when he acts up.

His cowardly play acting really bugs me as well. He is a fairly solid build and over six foot yet will throw himself to the ground if he thinks he can get another player sent off.

Said yesterday that his worst on pitch stuff reminded me of the worst of Drogba's diving crossed with the vilest of Joey Barton's on pitch shyte.

He has some decent ability, but unlike Suarez he does not have so much talent that it can off set the scummy behaviour, and would put him on a much worse level than Suarez in terms of diving, feigning injury, trying to injure other players, and so on.

Would imagine that there are loads of better options outthere if we are talking a fee of over £20m.

Short term he might start like a train, but in the medium term I would see him as being a ticking time bomb in terms of bans and bringing shyte onto the club.

He, if he comes to Liverpool, would have the potential in my eyes to be just as vilified by the home support as Diouf.

He is.

I quite like Costa. Antics and all. Just not sure, if he is what we need.

If you look back at the 2nd Half of Last Season, we've Played some of our Best Football in Years. We've gone and battered Clubs. And that's despite Downing starting most of them.

Now Imagine instead of us going with Downing back then, we're starting with Tello/Shaqiri/Sanchez... we could have Won more Games. A definite possibility.

So for me, I definitely prefer if we upgrade our RW. I think it will have a more Positive Effect in our Attack, than the Addition of another CF. But that's just my Opinion.

Sanchez would be a dream signing. I really rate Shaqiri and have warbled on about him since he was at Basel, but Sanchez looks like he has the potential to be special.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Sanchez would be a dream signing. I really rate Shaqiri and have warbled on about him since he was at Basel, but Sanchez looks like he has the potential to be special.

He was special....then he went to Barca!!

I would love him at Liverpool.

I think you are overcooking this stuff Kess, he has been red carded once, he missed two games due to yellow cards last season, which is on the heavy side but suggests someone who is in the thick of it and very competitive. Now if a bit of man management can be brought to bear he may well smarten up his act (no idea if Diego Simeone is a strict manager, or if he lets players have their head and puts up with the consequences).

When I started watching that video of Costa v Real, I was liking his little shoulder bashes and sh1te talk to wind up the other players, but as soon as I saw that spit throwing stuff. No thanks.

Tottenham could be set to target Roma pair Miralem Pjanic and Erik Lamela with the profits from Gareth Bale's proposed big-money switch to Real Madrid.

OUCH...I know a few on here would love Lamela.

I think you are overcooking this stuff Kess, he has been red carded once, he missed two games due to yellow cards last season, which is on the heavy side but suggests someone who is in the thick of it and very competitive. Now if a bit of man management can be brought to bear he may well smarten up his act (no idea if Diego Simeone is a strict manager, or if he lets players have their head and puts up with the consequences).

Suarez has never got a red card for LFC but is banned?

Some more Suarez clause talk

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfers-arsenal-target-suarez-2114488

I wonder if the only reason he hasn't kicked up more of a fuss is because it's Arsenal. If Chelsea make a bid, he might take a different stance altogether.

Would not pay any heed at all to what comes out of Suarez/his agent regarding the contract.

It is pretty obvious bullcrap that they change on almost a weekly basis.

Started off with them claiming there was a release clause in the actual contract for 40 m

Then it became a clause that allowed him to talk to other clubs once the bid was over 40m.

Then it became a clause that allowed him to talk to any CL club if the bid was over 40m.

Now it is a verbal agreement that any bid over 35m from a big London club, Real, or the club the brother of Suarez's agent manages.

Plus the talk of having Suarez's legal team in Uraguay act on it in South America is laughable.

I know footballers are often very thick individuals, but maybe someone should explain to Suarez in very small words exactly what an unverified verbal agreement with constantly changing "facts" is worth in a UK court.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Suarez has never got a red card for LFC but is banned?

True, I'm not aware if Costa has bitten anyone though. If plenty of people here are willing to put up with Luis Suarez then they should be willing to give Costa a fair chance.

Kess73 wrote: »

But really, could we attract those players? Is it not clear now that we are having to pursue players that have some baggage (Costa, Luis), or are looking for a fresh start (Danny, Phil), or playing at a lower level (Allen, Aspas), or young players who are more easily impressed (Borini, Alberto)?

• Advertisement

True, I'm not aware if Costa has bitten anyone though. If plenty of people here are willing to put up with Luis Suarez then they should be willing to give Costa a fair chance.

Yes I agree.
    Some people said last night that we are too much because he has a dodgy temperament but won't accept the same logic applying to Suarez's value.

Dickerty wrote: »
    But really, could we attract those players? Is it not clear now that we are having to pursue players that have some baggage (Costa, Luis), or are looking for a fresh start (Danny, Phil), or playing at a lower level (Allen, Aspas), or young players who are more easily impressed (Borini, Alberto)?

Barca vice president has just stated that Sanchez will be remaining at the club this season. Apparently Chelski are interested aswel.

He would be some signing.

And Suarez was banned at Ajax for the same thing, but we still sang from the rooftops when we signed him. Players make mistakes (Stevie did when he was younger), but most mature and grow out of it. Bellamy is a great examle, from firecracker to role-model.

Dickerty wrote: »
    And Suarez was banned at Ajax for the same thing, but we still sang from the rooftops when we signed him. Players make mistakes (Stevie did when he was younger), but most mature and grow out of it. Bellamy is a great examle, from firecracker to role-model.

Yes, Bellamy matured into a great golfer!:pac:

Not having many red cards means nothing. How often have you seen divers and cheats getting red cards?

Costa generally falls down when another player gets physical back or squares up to him. His "hardness" as a player tends to involve him getting sneaky digs in rather than going head to head with another physical player.

He is very good at winding up other players but tends to go OTT in how he does it, and his playacting is pretty scummy once it kicks in and it does kick in a good few times every season with him.

Could see him snapping a lot on the pitch in England because the one thing he likes to have on the pitch will be denied to him a lot during the course of the season. He tends to play best when given a lot of space to work in, and he reacts badly to close attention/marking.

At £20m he would probably be overpriced by £8m to £10m.

Would be amazed if he lasted two full seasons at a big club in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Bellamy a role model?....he was just as annoying the second time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Grayditch wrote: »
    When I started watching that video of Costa v Real, I was liking his little shoulder bashes and sh1te talk to wind up the other players, but as soon as I saw that spit throwing stuff. No thanks.

Not a fan of spitting myself, I think that's the only time he has done it? He looks a talent, like the grief he gives to defenders and the bumping of shoulders. Id still take him though, we aren't the powerhouse we once were and the profile of player we can attract is getting lower. He's a good player and his reports ive read seem as though he is highly rated by many.

As bad as the track record of Suarez is now, it pales beside that of Costa. A vile unlikeable player on the pitch who imo does not have the top class talent to overshadow his scummy on pitch behaviour.

Maybe he is a really nice guy off the pitch, but on the pitch his actions would make him a serious liability in England.

One racist storm with Suarez was enough for me thank you, bringing in a guy who seems to get a number of similar accusations in a season would be a nightmare.

For the money being spoken about, there are much better players out who come with far less baggage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

I wonder has there been much interest in this chap Costa or are we taking a real punt here
    Expensive punt tho

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement