Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wonder who is going on loan today....anyone think a Papa deal is still likely to happen? You'd hardly know who to believe at this stage. Shalke say no bid has been made but that's not to say no inquiry has been made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Couldn't agree more. He just doesn't justify that kind of fee imo. Is he really worth 3 times what we paid for Aspas, ability wise?

In his last 60 games he has scored 30 goals and has 19 assists.

That is impressive.

I have alot of faith in our new transfer committee. Costa is definately a rough diamond, nowhere near the finished article.

And he is tailor-made for English football aswell.

Given his background aswell (being a late starter) he has been getting better the older he gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

billy2012 wrote: »
    His goal return was impressive last season when you take everything into consideration.

He also had a good few assists.

Falcao's goal return at that club was impressive, Costa's was not impressive when looked at as a whole.

His goal return over 8 games in the domestic cup was impressive alright, but his goal return in the league was decent/good but hardly impressive.

Maybe he is a player that could thrive away from Spain and be a revelation in England, but if we are going to splash out over £20m for a player then I would want one that has shown more by way of ability or that has shown that he might have a very high ceiling in terms of potential ability in the short to medium term.

I also think that if we do get him that he will be one of the players replacing Suarez rather than one playing alongside him, and on that score I don't think he brings enough to the party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Just wondering, did any of the twitter ITK's mention Costa's proposed signing at any stage before it became public knowledge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Kess73 wrote: »
    Nothing major. Then again how often have you seen the likes Drogba, Ronaldo, Busquets, Rooney, Gerrard etc banned for diving, feigning injury etc?

Look how well the fans loved each of the players you mentioned there with the possible exception of Rooney after his transfer request shennanigans. If Costa does have the odd dive/controversy like the players above but still puts in good performances on the pitch that help propel us up the table then i really don't think our fans will give too much of a crap about his antics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Given his background aswell (being a late starter) he has been getting better the older he gets.

Unless it's a reverse Falcao, and he's actually only 22! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Falcao's goal return at that club was impressive, Costa's was not impressive when looked at as a whole.

His goal return over 8 games in the domestic cup was impressive alright, but his goal return in the league was decent/good but hardly impressive.

Maybe he is a player that could thrive away from Spain and be a revelation in England, but if we are going to splash out over £20m for a player then I would want one that has shown more by way of ability or that has shown that he might have a very high ceiling in terms of potential ability in the short to medium term.

I also think that if we do get him that he will be one of the players replacing Suarez rather than one playing alongside him, and on that score I don't think he brings enough to the party.

If he was their main striker I might not be overly impressed.
    But that wasn't the case.

If we were buying him to replace Suarez then I wouldn't be happy but I don't think that's the case.

This obviously is an important point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

either is Bale's but he is going for at least 85m
    Costa was outstanding for Atletico in the 2nd half of last season
    we would be overpaying for him by about 5m imo
    but he has all the attributes to be a great striker in the premier league

• Advertisement

He did provide a goal threat considering he played a hell of alot deeper, and also pulled wide right mostly.

Falcao certainly benefitted greatly from Costa's presence.

I take your point however, that its a superb signing so long as its in addition to Suarez rather than replacing him.

Have a sneaky feeling we'll see a Torres-esque transfer request on deadline day (its probably something the club is aware of and its a face saving exercise on their behalf).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if the Costa signing is indeed in order to replace Suarez, then an awful lot more is needed.

end of.

we'll be back to requiring 2 signings at the very, very least. probably 3.

Costa looks like a good grafter, that will put himself about, something along the lines of Kuyt. He has said himself that he hates being stranded up front, on his lonesome, so comes deeper to get himself involved. Exactly what we need, a fine build of a man, putting himself about.

I do think he'll cut out the nonsense, although perhaps not entirely, he'll still have the bantz with opposition players, but I think the diving, and phlegm flinging will disappear.

Then again, we could be sat here, 18 months down the line asking "Are we surprised?".

Just wondering, did any of the twitter ITK's mention Costa's proposed signing at any stage before it became public knowledge?

The first of it came on a Spanish language radio station website on Wednesday evening. There was not a hint of anything until then. Curious as, according to someone a couple of days ago, every major signing is well flagged for a week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Diego Costa without the hype of his vile on pitch personality but with the same goal return would be laughed at by most on here if suggested as a £20m+ purchase for an attacking role .

Costa, for me, brings more baggage than he brings footballing quality, and especially for a fee of £20m+.

Knock 8m to 10m off that price and it might be a punt worth taking, but for £20m+ we should, imo, be testing the waters for the likes of Turan from the same club as Costa.
    Could you not say the same about Turan? His goals and assists returns have been pretty average for a player touted to be worth €20m+.

Turan Stats:

2012/13: Played 47 Goals 5 Assists 6
    2011/12: Played 42 Goals 7 Assists 11
    2010/11 Played 13 Goals 6 Assists 1
    2009/10 Played 36 Goals 8 Assists 2

Arda Turan is hype personified.

• Advertisement

Hoki wrote: »
    Look how well the fans loved each of the players you mentioned there with the possible exception of Rooney after his transfer request shennanigans. If Costa does have the odd dive/controversy like the players above but still puts in good performances on the pitch that help propel us up the table then i really don't think our fans will give too much of a crap about his antics.

Costa has shown nothing to date to suggest he is in the same class or even close as the players I mentioned though.

Now he could be a late bloomer like Drogba was, but Drogba aside all the players I mentioned in that flaw list had shown a hell of a lot more ability by the time they were 24 going on 25 than Costa has to date.For £20m+ I would be hoping for a player capable of making an immediate impact upon the quality of the first team rather than getting another big money player who might come good a season or two later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Have a sneaky feeling we'll see a Torres-esque transfer request on deadline day (its probably something the club is aware of and its a face saving exercise on their behalf).

Could the club just refuse a request that late in the day?

Just say you've left it too late for this window.

Costa has shown nothing to date to suggest he is in the same class or even close as the players I mentioned though.

Now he could be a late bloomer like Drogba was, but Drogba aside all the players I mentioned in that flaw list had shown a hell of a lot more ability by the time they were 24 going on 25 than Costa has to date.For £20m+ I would be hoping for a player capable of making an immediate impact upon the quality of the first team rather than getting another big money player who might come good a season or two later.
    what top class striker could we realistically get though?

Pighead wrote: »
    Could you not say the same about Turan? His goals and assists returns have been pretty average for a player touted to be worth €20m+.

It doesn't work like that - we all know there are unofficial lists of players who are cool and players who are not. Arda Turan is very much in the former, so any drop in form/dodgy stats can be explained away, while a non cool player cannot be excused anything! ;) Look at Sturridge - very much on the uncool list as far as most were concerned (probably still is for many).

Its this kind of thinking in the broadest sense that means players are overlooked by clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

You honestly don't believe he would improve our starting XI?

I doubt Rodgers and the transfer committee are willing to spend this kinda money on a player that MIGHT come good in a season or two.

Maybe they are all wrong and you are right?

You clearly dislike the player, I think it might be slightly effecting your judgement on his footballing ability.

I think this is the 1st time I have disagreed with you on a player :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

MD1990 wrote: »
    what top class striker could we realistically get though?

We probably can't draw a top class striker. But that doesn't mean we should overpay for Costa. My main issue isn't that we're in for him (though his temperament genuinely worries me), but that we'd be overpaying at 20m.

Could the club just refuse a request that late in the day?

Just say you've left it too late for this window.

The cynic in me says the club may already have decided to sell the player.

Now its a case of structuring it in a way that it is most palatable for the fans.

Suarez wants to leave desperately, the club may say hand in a transfer request late in the day, gives the impression the player has forced the clubs hand etc....

When in reality, it gives the club time to bullsh*t the fans that any potential signings are with a view to partnering Suarez rather than replacing. When this obviously doesn't come to light, then its not the clubs fault. Its the departing player.

A very cynical view of things I know. But some say thats what happened in Torres case.

Turan Stats:

All gotten from playing in a less advanced position on the pitch. Would expect goal and assist returns to generally be higher from strikers and wide forwards than they are from players who play further back in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

A very cynical view of things I know. But some say thats what happened in Torres case.

Not that cynical. I thought I read somewhere the talks re:Torres started 12 days before deadline day.

Just to break up the Costa bickering...

crazy-eyes-papadopoulos-o.gif

A wee Papa death stare

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I agree. This would be an Allen signing in terms of value.

Didn't you say we should be out bidding €40-60M for Hulk in the past :confused:
    mike65 wrote: »
    True, I'm not aware if Costa has bitten anyone though. If plenty of people here are willing to put up with Luis Suarez then they should be willing to give Costa a fair chance.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    If he does the stuff at the business end of the pitch I'm not too bothered about his antics. I'm willing to overlook Suarez's stuff because he is class for us. No point being a hypocrite.

Agreed.

Harsh, he's an very good footballer who'd strengthen us. Liverpool supporters certainly do hold a soft spot for him though, I'll say that much. As myself and gbear said last night, he just doesn't contribute as much as one would expect of his ability in regards to goals and assists directly, that goes against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

think someone said above that goals would balance out all the drama with Costas behavior and fans wouldn't care but id have to disagree. Its not that he has a questionable temperment , he is just a scummy operator and some of them spitting incidents were horrible. We don't need a Diouf type character

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

It doesn't work like that - we all know there are unofficial lists of players who are cool and players who are not. Arda Turan is very much in the former, so any drop in form/dodgy stats can be explained away, while a non cool player cannot be excused anything! ;) Look at Sturridge - very much on the uncool list as far as most were concerned (probably still is for many).

Its this kind of thinking in the broadest sense that means players are overlooked by clubs.

Football has a hipster streak to it these days, I definitely agree with the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Was hoping to come on here with some inside information on Costa given I'm a (sort of) Atleti fan, but I have to say it has been mostly summed up by a few posters on here already.

I would agree with most of what SlickRic, Nuri Sahin and kess have said - £22m is certainly more than he's worth.

If you asked me to put a price on him I'd say £12m. £15m or so could seem fine, but £22m seems a lot.

However, I was only just saying yesterday that I was worried we were not going to sign anyone, and there have a lot of people lambasting the 'accountants' on this forum, so I hope they show the same opinions towards this deal if we end up overpaying.

Personally I'd rather overpay for Costa than not sign anyone.

Anyway to my opinions of the player:

The question on everyone's lips - Would he improve our first team?

Yes I believe he would. I think he'd be good enough to get in the first XI and at the least offers a very different option to what we have.

Is he a marquee signing?

What's a marquee signing? Does the fee we're paying make him one? From what I understand of the meaning of the term though I would say no. For example I don't think he'd be in the top 5 key players at the club if he were to sign.

What position is he?

Atleti often play a 4-4-2 and he plays as one of the two strikers. However, (and I think this has been covered) he's more of a forward who drifts wide and would favour the left. If we were to sign him it'd be a pretty clear signal that Rodgers intends to use Coutinho predominantly as the central playmaker (which i'm not convinced is a great idea). Playing Costa in behind Suarez or Sturridge wouldn't really work imo, as you would probably have to play a 4-4-1-1 and I'm not sure this fits Rodgers style and the wide players we have (except maybe Downing).

Costa most definitely is not a playmaker sort.

Costa vs Turan?

A lot of people asking why we wouldn't go for Turan.

I can only echo what has been said.

1) They are completely different players.
    2) I would prefer Turan.

Imo Turan is exactly what we need - a clever player, comfortable on the ball, able to play centrally or out wide. He could play centrally and keep Coutinho out wide with both able to deputise or switch it up.

But we're not linked to Turan. I imagine Atleti would not want to sell him and it might take a huge bid.

Can he make it in the Premier League?

It's been said that he's physical, gives as good as he gets etc... but he goes down really, really easy. I mean reaaaally easy. He borderline dives so habitually and he tends to get away with it in Spain.

To give you an idea Diego Costa was fouled (or I should probably say 'fouled') 3 times a game on average last season, the second highest amount in the whole of Spain. The highest for any player in the Premier League? 2.5

Now this could obviously be seen as a positive, as winning frees gives you a potentially dangerous attacking position, or it can buy you some breathing space, get the other player booked etc...

However I think it's also an indication of how easy he goes down, and I'm not sure how much luck he'd have with the refs in England.

Diego Costa was winning a considerable amount more free-kicks than anyone in the whole League last season, and this when he is a big, big lad (188cm and 85kg). When you consider that players who top these stats are usually fast, tricky, slight players it gives you an indication of just how good he is at winning frees/how easy he goes down.

He tends to shield the ball, wait for the defender to make some contact from behind, and then fall on top of the ball. And then the ref whistles. Some of the fouls given his way last season were a joke.

I would fear that English referees would not be swayed by how easy he goes down, and this is quite a big part of his game and his usefulness so this could be an issue.

Either way I hope we're practising our attacking set-pieces because with Costa, Suarez and Aspas we have players who tend to get fouled an awful lot.

Discipline?

It's been said. He's a nutter. Highly aggressive, petulant, win-at-all costs, call it what you want. If signed, Rodergs will really have to reel him in, explain cultural differences, maybe use Suarez as an example of what not to do.

Overall, I think we would be over-paying and he's not the profile of player I would be looking at (i.e. I would prefer to keep Coutinho predominantly on the left and buy a player with more guile, better technique on the ball).

There was a stage last season where a friend of mine actually suggested he was more important to Atleti than Falcao, and that he offered much more. It's definitely true that Costa is about much more than goals, so don't judge him on his goal stats - he's not a number 9. However, I would fear that Costas' excellent performances at the end of last season were more of a purple patch of good form, where everything was going his way (system the manager was using and how he fit in the team, referee's decisions etc...) rather than evidence of a truly top class player.

Atleti generally play quite direct and I believe their style is fairly different from Liverpool's - I would wonder about his ability to fit in to Rodgers' possession-based, fluid system. i trust Rodgers knows what he's doing in this regard.

However, I'm glad we are actually linked with a player who would improve our team and that there appears to be intent to spend. I'm not sure he's the right option, but time will tell.

An improvement to the team is always welcome and the various possible line-ups we could put out including Costa would certainly not be easy for defenders to face.

Turan Stats:

No, no, no.

Have any of you watched Turan play?

He would bring what we need to the party, what I've been saying all summer:

Someone to link the 2 (Gerrard-Lucas) to the 3 (Coutinho - Sturridge- Suarez).

Someone who has guile and is classy on the ball and has versatility to play a few roles.

His ability to do this won't be measured predominantly in goals and assits, but he would contribute in these areas too.

For the record I never saw Turan at Galatasaray. I base my opinion on him from watching Atleti the last 2 seasons, a lot of time in the stadium, and his class is evident.

He is technically superior to anyone on Atleti's team easily, and he works hard too.

This 'hipster' theory is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I am pie wrote: »
    Football has a hipster streak to it these days, I definitely agree with the above.

I think the hipsters would be the ones encouraging the sale of our best player when the popular opinion is to keep him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Morzadec wrote: »
    No, no, no.

Someone who has guile and is classy on the ball and has versatility to play a few roles.

His ability to do this won't be measured predominantly in goals and assits, but he would contribute in these areas too.

For the record I never saw Turan at Galatasaray. I base my opinion on him from watching Atleti the last 2 seasons, a lot of time in the stadium, and his class is evident.

He is technically superior to anyone on Atleti's team easily, and he works hard too.

3 assists in 2 seasons is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Twitter is where I first heard about it anyway. I believe Mike65 posted it about him the night before the Echo story broke and he mentioned a user on another forum said there was definitely something going on with him, so whoever he is he has some kind of inside info.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Was hoping to come on here with some inside information on Costa given I'm a (sort of) Atleti fan, but I have to say it has been mostly summed up by a few posters on here already.

I would agree with most of what SlickRic, Nuri Sahin and kess have said - £22m is certainly more than he's worth.

If you asked me to put a price on him I'd say £12m. £15m or so could seem fine, but £22m seems a lot.

However, I was only just saying yesterday that I was worried we were not going to sign anyone, and there have a lot of people lambasting the 'accountants' on this forum, so I hope they show the same opinions towards this deal if we end up overpaying.

Personally I'd rather overpay for Costa than not sign anyone.

Anyway to my opinions of the player:

The question on everyone's lips - Would he improve our first team?

Yes I believe he would. I think he'd be good enough to get in the first XI and at the least offers a very different option to what we have.

Is he a marquee signing?

What's a marquee signing? Does the fee we're paying make him one? From what I understand of the meaning of the term though I would say no. For example I don't think he'd be in the top 5 key players at the club if he were to sign.

What position is he?

Atleti often play a 4-4-2 and he plays as one of the two strikers. However, (and I think this has been covered) he's more of a forward who drifts wide and would favour the left. If we were to sign him it'd be a pretty clear signal that Rodgers intends to use Coutinho predominantly as the central playmaker (which i'm not convinced is a great idea). Playing Costa in behind Suarez or Sturridge wouldn't really work imo, as you would probably have to play a 4-4-1-1 and I'm not sure this fits Rodgers style and the wide players we have (except maybe Downing).

Costa most definitely is not a playmaker sort.

Costa vs Turan?

A lot of people asking why we wouldn't go for Turan.

I can only echo what has been said.

1) They are completely different players.
    2) I would prefer Turan.

Imo Turan is exactly what we need - a clever player, comfortable on the ball, able to play centrally or out wide. He could play centrally and keep Coutinho out wide with both able to deputise or switch it up.

But we're not linked to Turan. I imagine Atleti would not want to sell him and it might take a huge bid.

Can he make it in the Premier League?

It's been said that he's physical, gives as good as he gets etc... but he goes down really, really easy. I mean reaaaally easy. He borderline dives so habitually and he tends to get away with it in Spain.

To give you an idea Diego Costa was fouled (or I should probably say 'fouled') 3 times a game on average last season, the second highest amount in the whole of Spain. The highest for any player in the Premier League? 2.5

Now this could obviously be seen as a positive, as winning frees gives you a potentially dangerous attacking position, or it can buy you some breathing space, get the other player booked etc...

However I think it's also an indication of how easy he goes down, and I'm not sure how much luck he'd have with the refs in England.

Diego Costa was winning a considerable amount more free-kicks than anyone in the whole League last season, and this when he is a big, big lad (188cm and 85kg). When you consider that players who top these stats are usually fast, tricky, slight players it gives you an indication of just how good he is at winning frees/how easy he goes down.

He tends to shield the ball, wait for the defender to make some contact from behind, and then fall on top of the ball. And then the ref whistles. Some of the fouls given his way last season were a joke.

I would fear that English referees would not be swayed by how easy he goes down, and this is quite a big part of his game and his usefulness so this could be an issue.

Either way I hope we're practising our attacking set-pieces because with Costa, Suarez and Aspas we have players who tend to get fouled an awful lot.

Discipline?

It's been said. He's a nutter. Highly aggressive, petulant, win-at-all costs, call it what you want. If signed, Rodergs will really have to reel him in, explain cultural differences, maybe use Suarez as an example of what not to do.

Overall, I think we would be over-paying and he's not the profile of player I would be looking at (i.e. I would prefer to keep Coutinho predominantly on the left and buy a player with more guile, better technique on the ball).

There was a stage last season where a friend of mine actually suggested he was more important to Atleti than Falcao, and that he offered much more. It's definitely true that Costa is about much more than goals, so don't judge him on his goal stats - he's not a number 9. However, I would fear that Costas' excellent performances at the end of last season were more of a purple patch of good form, where everything was going his way (system the manager was using and how he fit in the team, referee's decisions etc...) rather than evidence of a truly top class player.

Atleti generally play quite direct and I believe their style is fairly different from Liverpool's - I would wonder about his ability to fit in to Rodgers' possession-based, fluid system. i trust Rodgers knows what he's doing in this regard.

However, I'm glad we are actually linked with a player who would improve our team and that there appears to be intent to spend. I'm not sure he's the right option, but time will tell.

An improvement to the team is always welcome and the various possible line-ups we could put out including Costa would certainly not be easy for defenders to face.

Was looking out for your post knowing you supported Atleti :)

Very good post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

No, no, no.

How similar is Turan to Coutinho? For me Coutinho does all his best work in the middle.

All gotten from playing in a less advanced position on the pitch. Would expect goal and assist returns to generally be higher from strikers and wide forwards than they are from players who play further back in the team.
    I was just surprised when seeing how few assists he has created especially considering his club have (or had) one of the most lethal finishers in world football up front. He has been mentioned plenty on these boards over the years and has been described as 'an assist machine'. Even if he is playing as an orthodox winger (which I don't think he does) surely he should have more assists to his name?

17 in the last 2 seasons when he's really come into his best form and best years.

I can't comment on how and where he was playing in the two seasons where he got 3 assists, but at Atleti 17 assists in 2 seasons is not at all shabby.

And as I said there's more to him than goals and assists.

Pedalstool wrote: »
    For me Coutinho does all his best work in the middle.

For me, also.

Regarding Costa just a few points from me.

Firstly, he is not the first choice player the club had in mind when strengthening the attacking options. However, as players like Mkhitaryan and Soldado went elsewhere he was obviously then considered.

From what I have seen he offers something very different to the other players at the club. That to me is a positive. He is quick and aggressive, surely an asset when you consider how light our other attackers can be.

The market for strikers is hugely inflated, I think he is way too expensive but I understand the need to spend this money given the limited options available.

He is another PR nightmare for the club but that doesn't seem to matter anymore.

#LFC target Diego Costa created more chances for Atletico Madrid last term with 37 than Luis Muriel & David Villa combined (35). (@Squawka)

Pedalstool wrote: »
    How similar is Turan to Coutinho? For me Coutinho does all his best work in the middle.

Similar in the both can operate wide or centrally.

Turan played his first season predominantly out wide as they had Diego to play the playmaker role.

When Diego left Turan often took up this central position when playing 4-2-3-1 or continued out wide when playing 4-4-2.

But both are players who are comfortable wherever they find themselves on the pitch.

For me, from what I've seen, Coutinho has a bit more sparkle to him, more magic in his feet. Coutinho is much more likely to take on a man, or play a defence splitting pass.

But Arda is really confident and comfortable on the ball and uses it well, is better defensively (he works really hard and is physically stronger than Cout) and would probably be a little less 'raw' than Coutinho due to his experience.

I'd love to see Turan come as the central man ahead of Gerrard and Lucas and keep Coutinho out left, but with both capable of interchanging

• Advertisement

i wonder will Borini be sold now?
    if we are keeping Suarez

17 in the last 2 seasons when he's really come into his best form and best years.

I can't comment on how and where he was playing in the two seasons where he got 3 assists, but at Atleti 17 assists in 2 seasons is not at all shabby.

And as I said there's more to him than goals and assists.
    14 assists in 69 games when you take out his international outings. That is at worst a little shabby surely? Not denying he's a good player but he's far from an 'assists machine'.

Iniesta, Fabregas, Hamsik and Mata would be much more prolific when it comes to assists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

those were his downing years!

I'd love to see Turan come as the central man ahead of Gerrard and Lucas and keep Coutinho out left, but with both capable of interchanging

I'm not sure we'll see that formation as much this season.

I think Rodgers will play Lucas behind two orthodox box to box midfielders.

I hate doing formations but it might explain my point better.

Lucas

Gerrard
    Allen-

Rodgers often talks about his 4-3-3 having two midfield variations, this is the one I believe we will see used more frequently.

The players in the front 3 will all be capable of interchanging and those in the wide positions can tuck in and play more centrally, leaving the full backs to offer the width.

I think it depends on the player. Sterling would play wider where as Coutinho would tuck in much more. If that makes sense?

14 assists in 69 games when you take out his international outings. That is at worst a little shabby surely? Not denying he's a good player but he's far from an 'assists machine'.

Iniesta, Fabregas, Hamsik and Mata would be much more prolific when it comes to assists.

No but I never said he was.

He's not an out and out wide player, he wouldn't judge himself on his assists and goals only I doubt.

Anyway I'm going to stop talking about Turan, I don't think we're in for him.

MD1990 wrote: »
    i wonder will Borini be sold now?
    if we are keeping Suarez

Napoli loan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Luis Suarez should pick Liverpool above Arsenal, says Ian Wright

_69072799_174336331.jpg

Luis Suarez should stay at Liverpool and turn down the chance to move to Arsenal, according to former Gunners striker Ian Wright.

Liverpool have rejected two offers from Arsenal for the 26-year-old, who wants to play Champions League football.
    "I'd welcome him at Arsenal with open arms," Wright told BBC Sport.
    "But if I was Suarez, when you look at everything, it does seem strange he would want to go to Arsenal. I would give Liverpool another season."
    Wright, who will co-host BBC Radio 5 live's football phone-in show 606 on Sundays with Kelly Cates, added: "Arsenal finally realise they've got to get up there with the big boys otherwise they will be left behind."
    Uruguay striker Suarez has spoken of his desire to leave Anfield despite only signing a new long-term contract in August 2012.
    He believes Arsenal's latest offer of £40m plus £1 triggered a clause in his contract that allows him to speak to suitors, but Liverpool dispute this and have no intention of selling until a £50m-plus valuation is met.

While Liverpool have not played in the Champions League since 2009, Arsenal will feature in the competition for a 17th consecutive season this year.
    Reds captain Steven Gerrard ranks the Gunners among his side's rivals for a top-four finish and has questioned the sense in letting them recruit Suarez, who scored 30 goals in 44 games last season.
    "Gerrard is not someone who comes out and says things flippantly," said Wright, who scored 185 goals in 288 appearances for Arsenal.
    "If you look at Arsenal - not won anything in eight years, just challenging for fourth place, not really any players there who will make him say 'I'm going to play with him and him' - Gerrard has got a point."
    Suarez is banned for the first six domestic matches of the new season as he completes a 10-game ban for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic.
    He was also suspended in 2011 after being found guilty of racially abusing Manchester United defender Patrice Evra.
    Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has reminded Suarez of the debt he feels the player owes the fans after two seasons of controversy - but Wright says this is the only reason Arsenal stand a chance of getting him.
    "Suarez is a world-class striker and if he didn't have all the baggage around him, I feel the Barcelonas, Real Madrids and Bayern Munichs would be sniffing around," said the ex-England international.
    "That's why I believe Arsenal should try to bring him in - because I feel it's the only time they could get someone like that. In another market, I don't think he'd even look at Arsenal."

Arsenal's only summer signing to date is the free transfer of 20-year-old French forward Yaya Sanogo from Auxerre, and Wright thinks that even if they bring in Suarez, more big names need to follow.
    "We need to see something I've not seen Arsenal do for many years and that is compete to sign players that Manchester United would want, that Manchester City would want and that Chelsea would want," he said.
    "But they're running out of time and I don't think, at the moment, they've got the ability to attract those players because they haven't won anything in such a long time. This is why Arsenal are in serious trouble right now.
    "I would like to see them go as far as they can to get Suarez, but they can't just buy him and not replenish the rest of the team. I think they need a goalkeeper, two centre-halves, two full-backs - for both left-back and right-back positions - another midfielder and two strikers.
    "It doesn't make sense buying Suarez for that money and not backing it up with other signings of the same stature."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23539678

Luis Suarez should pick Liverpool above Arsenal, says Ian Wright

Further down the article.....
    "That's why I believe Arsenal should try to bring him in -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I was just surprised when seeing how few assists he has created especially considering his club have (or had) one of the most lethal finishers in world football up front. He has been mentioned plenty on these boards over the years and has been described as 'an assist machine'. Even if he is playing as an orthodox winger (which I don't think he does) surely he should have more assists to his name?

There are certain players that play in advanced positions that sometimes don't rack up impressive amounts if goals/assists but are hugely influential to their team.

For example Iniesta played as a wide playmaker for Spain in Euro 2012 and got player of the tournament despite only getting 1 assist and 0 goals. He came 3rd in the Ballon d'Or in 2010 despite only getting 1 goal and 7 assists that season. Zidane was another great advanced player who didn't have overly impressive stats.

Obviously Turan isn't on the same level as those 2, but he is of a similar ilk in terms of his influence on a game being very strong despite his goal/assist stats not necessarily showing it.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Further down the article.....

You're a bit of a nit picker?

A bit pedantic?

The general tone of the article is obvious if you read it. If you did read it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

@MrBoywunder
    Valencia radio station confirms that Cissokho has accepted a contract offer from #LFC.

Apologies to those of you who think twitter is pure evil. Feel free to ignore the above and not waste your time sharing your opinions of microblogging websites.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement