Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Wasn't this Siqueira guy linked with Real for the last while or so? Vaguely remember some Tweets from a few La Liga heads on Twitter of them being interested.

edit - http://www.realmadridnews.com/guilherme-siqueira-flattered-by-real-madrid-link/

They still need to move on Coentrao, and even then he'd be behind Marcelo. If we signed him, I am assuming it was be as first choice, with Enrique now as back-up?

Another Brazilian (with an Italian passport) - we are loving the Brazilians!!

Jorginho
    Siqueira
    Costa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Enrique must be on the way out. Rodgers likes his wingbacks so I can see why he doesn't rate Enrique. He's a decent defender but he's fairly brainless imo.

The fact Rodgers played Johnson at LB and left Kelly at RB at the start of the season says a lot for me.

Where is our CB signing. Papa in Skrtel out would be fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

New GK
    New LB
    Possible New CB
    Possible New Attacking MF
    and if Suarez goes, new CF

Lots of changes in the spine of the team, makes me nervous all that change puts a heavy burden on Gerrard and Lucas to anchor the middle.

Dickerty wrote: »
    Not immediately, competition would be good though. He's got a good attacking understanding with Coutinho and Luis in particular...

Yeah, I hope not. He has a good understanding with Coutinhio and Suarez and was definately a positive from last season

rob316 wrote: »
    Enrique must be on the way out. Rodgers likes his wingbacks so I can see why he doesn't rate Enrique. He's a decent defender but he's fairly brainless imo.

The fact Rodgers played Johnson at LB and left Kelly at RB at the start of the season says a lot for me.

Where is our CB signing. Papa in Skrtel out would be fantastic.

He was very good 2nd of the season :confused:

Also the attacking part of his game is quite decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

rarnes1 wrote: »

I agree. When Enrique is attacking and things go right for him it opens the game right up.
    On bad days and his moves don't work out he gives possession away a decent bit.

That said I like him and want to see him stay at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Oh he was good I know and I like him but we could probably do better.
    Technically he's not very good, bit of a head down speed merchant and his crossing is very poor for a fullback imo.

1v1 one he is excellent though.

Just don't think Rodgers rates him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Football Mercado, who are supposedly reporting the Sequeira thing, were the ones who reported a bid going through for Papadopolous yesterday. That was refuted by a couple of English journos.

Edit: they've actually called Papa a Liverpool player yesterday. And today they said Barca have bid for Agger. So, pinch of salt with the Sequeira thing I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Does anyone think he would get into any of the teams above us??

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

We won't be getting rid of Enrique after Robinson has gone out on loan.

His crossing and the choice of crosses in that final third more often than not is abysmal IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    We won't be getting rid of Enrique after Robinson has gone out on loan.

I fully agree with on this and I think getting in a player on loan while getting Robinson game time is a good move to make .

On the Costa thing if we get him I can honestly say Downing is gone .

Left Side would be : Costa or Sterling or Ibe
    Right Side would :Sturrigde or Aspas or Borini
    Middle would be : Suarez or Sturrigde or Costa
    Playmaker would be : Coutinho or Gerrard or Henderson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭CSF

spockety wrote: »
    The guy is a Brazilian international coming off the back of a very good season.

Some people need to get real and understand that the numbers aren't that big any more.

United signed Anderson for £20m and Nani for £17m in 2007.

He didn't really have that great a season. I found him frustrating him more often than not and I'm a bit if an Atleti fanboy.

This isn't so much a 'transfer prices have gone insane argument' as much as it is a Diego Costa is not great argument. Agreed on Nani and Anderson being overpriced at the time but they're both better players now than Diego Costa. And I don't actually particularly rate Anderson.

It's funny, going into last season I would have been happy to have Johnson as first choice LB for the season as Enrique looked quite poor before that. I thought last year he turned it around and was a different player. Not a world beater by any means but a good LB.

CSF wrote: »
    He didn't really have that great a season. I found him frustrating him more often than not and I'm a bit if an Atleti fanboy.

This isn't so much a 'transfer prices have gone insane argument' as much as it is a Diego Costa is not great argument. Agreed on Nani and Anderson being overpriced at the time but they're both better players now than Diego Costa. And I don't actually particularly rate Anderson.

Comparing Anderson and Costa is hardly fair when they play different positions.

Comparing Anderson and Costa is hardly fair when they play different positions.

Agreed, I didn't make the original comparison though.

Agreed, I didn't make the original comparison though.

Ah, missed that

Ah, missed that

Grand, but seriously, there are much better options out there. Excited at the thought of who Atleti could improve on him with the proceeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Anderson actually cost £25m according to United accounts, apparently. In today's market that would be even bigger. He's only the benchmark for a bad deal, not for value, and he's certainly not a benchmark for a player like Costa, who plays different position, is being bought from a different league, by a club with no European football, 5 years later.

Grand, but seriously, there are much better options out there. Excited at the thought of who Atleti could improve on him with the proceeds

If he improves the Team I'm happy to sign him , At least he can't or won't be as bad as Downing .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Billy Liddell ‏@Liddellpool 7m
    Cissokho has accepted the contract offered by #LFC acc to Cadena SER

I don't know how Accurate their ITKs are, but Cadena Ser is Spain's leading Radio Network.

• Advertisement

If he improves the Team I'm happy to sign him , At least he can't or won't be as bad as Downing .

If he is an improvement on Downing it is slight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

The more I think of it the more £21m seems like crazy money for Costa.

If he is an improvement on Downing it is slight.

I take you haven't watched Downing play at all . He is a winger who is afraid to take on a man . Always passes backwards . I mean I have never saw such an ineffective winger in all my time .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Morzadec wrote: »

Absofuckingloutely.

I take you haven't watched Downing play at all . He is a winger who is afraid to take on a man . Always passes backwards . I mean I have never saw such an ineffective winger in all my time .

Downing has competencies in other areas of game. He is average enough but solid. You'd happily take him at a Villa or a Newcastle. Costa is also average enough and would also fit in better at a Villa or a Newcastle than a Liverpool or Atletico.

Signing Costa is a risk, could only be motivated by other player's lack of appetite to come to a non champs league, no EL team.

We're looking for rough diamonds basically. Dodgy temperament but with ability, Rodgers is backing his own ability to get more out of him.

It's a dubious tactic if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I am pie wrote: »
    Signing Costa is a risk, could only be motivated by other player's lack of appetite to come to a non champs league, no EL team.

We're looking for rough diamonds basically. Dodgy temperament but with ability, Rodgers is backing his own ability to get more out of him.

It is considering he can't keep Suarez in check.

I am pie wrote: »

The logic is solid enough in theory, but Costa is hardly a highrisk/highability player like Suarez, Balotelli, Rooney or even Andy Carroll. Medium ability/high risk.

Downing has competencies in other areas of game. He is average enough but solid. You'd happily take him at a Villa or a Newcastle. Costa is also average enough and would also fit in better at a Villa or a Newcastle than a Liverpool or Atletico.

I think Costa is a Good Player and he's someone that BR can Improve more.

It's just that, he's not someone I'd want to play with Suarez already on the Side. Since I want us to Lineup, something like this:

Suarez--Sturridge--Not Downing RW
    Coutinho

He'd also be 4th Choice to me as the Central Striker. Behind Sturridge, Suarez, and Aspas.

£21M is a definite No for me. Since I don't want us to Pay something that exorbitant, for someone that's practically a Benchwarmer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

As the former DoF at Monaco, Tor-Kristian Karlsen, said he's
    Prone to the odd "antics" on the pitch, not to everybody's taste but personally I do like him very much. Strong mentality, a fighter

That mentality might be the reason we are keen to add him to the squad.

We are very lightweight in the final third. He would add agression, pace and physicality. Something we could benefit from. He is very good defensively.

I don't think he is being signed as an out and out goalscorer but can contribute there more than say Downing could.

The fee is very high though.

It's just that, he's not someone I'd want to play with Suarez already on the Side. Since I want us to Lineup, something like this:

Coutinho

He'd also be 4th Choice to me as the Central Striker. Behind Sturridge, Suarez, and Aspas.

£21M is a definite No for me. Since I don't want us to Pay something that exorbitant, for someone that's practically a Benchwarmer.

How good? Who would you compare him to in the Premiership already in terms of ability? How much have you seen him? Genuinely interested.

Coutinho

I don't think the club are preparing to pay that for someone to sit on the bench. He will play.

Quick question.

If Kuyt had signed for Liverpool, for 20 million instead of 10, would people think we got value for money?

How good? Who would you compare him to in the Premiership already in terms of ability? How much have you seen him? Genuinely interested.

Costa plays a Good Foil. You can see that, when you've watch him in Atleti with Falcao. He is someone who Works really hard, Offence and Defence.

Though he is not Blessed with Pace (He's about Suarez Level), he doesn't shy away from taking on a Defender.

For someone who looks like a Caveman, he's actually very Intelligent with his Link up Play.

To sum up Costa, he is not the most Talented, but what he got, he knows how to use it, and use it effectively.

I think Costa plays the Second Striker Position really well. Unfortunately for him, that's also the Role Suarez usually plays for us, if he is not CF.

So for me, those 2 can't Play together if Sturridge is the 9. And I'm not going to play Sturridge wide thereby losing his Pace at the Top of our Attack, just to accommodate Costa.

As for Comparison, it's hard to compare him to someone on the Prem, but the Closest would be Dzeko. Though definitely not as Good. Think Dzeko when he plays off Aguero for Man City. Drifts wide, Holds the Ball, Links with the Wingers, Charges the Box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Rodgers:
    "So, two great legends of the football club I'll welcome with open arms. They trained this morning and Carra looks like he's never been away. Robbie [Fowler] looks like he has been away [laughs]!"

That's some funny sh!t right there :D:D

• Advertisement

https://soundcloud.com/radiocity967/hunter-on-costa

A few thoughts from Graham Hunter on Costa.

Quick question.

If Kuyt had signed for Liverpool, for 20 million instead of 10, would people think we got value for money?

I don't know, at the time £20m would have been a huge amount, an unprecedented amount for us to spend.

Hard to compare figures from now to 7/8 years ago.

On Costa I just think that for that fee you can bring in a better player.

And if that better player isn't interested then I think you can bring in a player as good as Costa for close to half the price.

Pedalstool wrote: »

Interesting that supposedly a Premier League manager would ask a Journalist for advice regarding players

I don't know, at the time £20m would have been a huge amount, an unprecedented amount for us to spend.

Hard to compare figures from now to 7/8 years ago.

On Costa I just think that for that fee you can bring in a better player.

And if that better player isn't interested then I think you can bring in a player as good as Costa for close to half the price.

Such as...?

Interesting that supposedly a Premier League manager would ask a Journalist for advice regarding players

I would guess a manager of a club without the scouting network of a larger club. Why not ask about though, guys like Hunter and Sid Lowe watch Spanish football week in week out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I thought myself that 15m euro for him is about right. Admittedly, ive only seen him about a half dozen times in full games but thats just from what i have seen. Technically pretty limited.

Someone mentioned earlier today that you have to take into account the temperament of players with fee's inc Suarez. Difference is, Suarez is actually worth £50m, if you were doing a deal (and wanted rid you might shave a fraction off). Costa is not worth £21m. Its a bit like offering what he is worth and adding on 6m for the dodgy temperament. It wouldnt work like that for Suarez and it doesnt for Costa.

Personally, i think if we going around prepared to meet release clauses there would be better options. For example, id be looking at Jackson Martinez and a few others first.

Last point, signing another forward really does spell the end for Borini imo rather than Suarez.

Costa plays a Good Foil. You can see that, when you've watch him in Atleti with Falcao. He is someone who Works really hard, Offence and Defence.

Though he is not Blessed with Pace (He's about Suarez Level), he doesn't shy away from taking on a Defender.

For someone who looks like a Caveman, he's actually very Intelligent with his Link up Play.

To sum up Costa, he is not the most Talented, but what he got, he knows how to use it, and use it effectively.

I think Costa plays the Second Striker Position really well. Unfortunately for him, that's also the Role Suarez usually plays for us, if he is not CF.

So for me, those 2 can't Play together if Sturridge is the 9. And I'm not going to play Sturridge wide thereby losing his Pace at the Top of our Attack, just to accommodate Costa.

As for Comparison, it's hard to compare him to someone on the Prem, but the Closest would be Dzeko. Though definitely not as Good. Think Dzeko when he plays off Aguero for Man City. Drifts wide, Holds the Ball, Links with the Wingers, Charges the Box.

I meant in terms of ability. I'm familiar with his style.

I meant in terms of ability. I'm familiar with his style.

Somewhat below Aspas for me.

He is Stronger and can Hold the Ball better and definitely not as 1-Footed as Aspas, but Aspas edges him in Passing, Technique and Pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

daithijjj wrote: »
    I thought myself that 15m euro for him is about right. Admittedly, ive only seen him about a half dozen times in full games but thats just from what i have seen. Technically pretty limited.

Someone mentioned earlier today that you have to take into account the temperament of players with fee's inc Suarez. Difference is, Suarez is actually worth £50m, if you were doing a deal (and wanted rid you might shave a fraction off). Costa is not worth £21m. Its a bit like offering what he is worth and adding on 6m for the dodgy temperament. It wouldnt work like that for Suarez and it doesnt for Costa.

Personally, i think if we going around prepared to meet release clauses there would be better options. For example, id be looking at Jackson Martinez and a few others first.

Last point, signing another forward really does spell the end for Borini imo rather than Suarez.

If we were looking for an out right Striker to replace Suarez then yes please, I would love him, but I don't think Costa is being bought to replace Suarez.

Somewhat below Aspas for me.

He is Stronger and can Hold the Ball better and definitely not as 1-Footed as Aspas, but Aspas edges him in Passing, Technique and Pace.
    Fair enough I guess

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Costa goal vs Real Madrid in May , set up by Falcao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ7yqcjI-W0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pedalstool wrote: »

Hunter says Athleico are looking at Diego (can't find him) of Werder Bremen so it looks like its one out one in.

edit, its Diego of Wolfsburg, he used to be at Bremen but was also on loan to Atletico in 2011/12. Hunter getting a bit confused.

Can we not look at Diego and leave them with the loco.

Amy updates on this transfer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Interesting that Hunter says we bid €22m for Soldado.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement