Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

You can't say that Gareth Bale is worth 2.857142857142857 me's.

I think he's more overpriced than you too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

GTR63 wrote: »
    I think he's more overpriced than you too.

Does not compute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

billy2012 wrote: »
    So far preseason has gone pretty well.

5 games played, 5 wins, 5 clean sheets and 13 goals scored.

I think there are lots of positives to take from the games we have played so far.

Beats last preseason.
    I refuse to get too excited just yet...

I refuse to get too excited just yet...

Pre season counts for little

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Pre season counts for little

Pretty poor opposition during pre-season makes it hard to judge what we will be like. Lets see how we react after the first goal conceded!

Pretty poor opposition during pre-season makes it hard to judge what we will be like. Lets see how we react after the first goal conceded!

They are meaningless games. Winning in 13 days is what counts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Just 13 days away. My happiness knows no bounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Hopefully b-rod brings a few younger players to norway on wednesday, would like to see texiera and mclaughlin travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

B-rod? FFS I hate those made up americanised names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

B-rod? FFS I hate those made up americanized names.

FYP

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Relax :rolleyes: it could be worse :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Really Fred Funk?

Anfield legend Robbie Fowler has revealed that his 20-minute cameo in Steven Gerrard's testimonial match against Olympiacos on Saturday is likely to be his final appearance as a professional footballer.

The 38-year-old concluded his second spell with the Reds in May 2007 before representing a variety of clubs in Britain and further afield until 2012 - but had not officially confirmed any retirement plans.

But the man nicknamed 'God' by Kopites, in honour of the 183 goals he plundered in Liverpool colours, revealed post-match that yesterday's run-out will probably be his swansong.

"I loved it - I don't think there are many better feelings than putting the Red shirt on," Fowler told LFC TV.

"When you get out there and get a little bit of a reception like that it's unbelievable. I don't think you can put it into words. I've been back a few times but you never really expect that.

"It was absolutely delightful and I'm grateful for it. To be honest, it's all for Steven. What I'll say about him is that not many people will run Kenny close as Liverpool's best ever player.

"But he has done that and maybe in a lot of people's eyes, including myself, he has surpassed that. What an achievement that is.

"It was special. I asked him when we were on tour; I would have loved to be involved. My career has sort of gone out on a little bit of a whimper to be honest.

"I have not really officially retired but this looks like my last game, and where better to do it than a full Anfield for Steven's testimonial, Liverpool's best ever player, in front of these fans.

"It was a fantastic moment for me and one that I'll live with for the rest of my life."

In preparation for the fixture with the Greek outfit, Fowler had trained with the Liverpool squad at Melwood during the past few days - an opportunity the former No.9 was delighted to take.

Asked if he had done enough to catch Brendan Rodgers' eye, Fowler joked: "I've heard all the rumours that he's after a striker - I'll put my hand up.

"Hopefully it's not my last game, but it has been great for me. I've loved the last few days training with the first team. To be honest, I've not let myself down.

"I could probably do with being a little bit sharper but I enjoyed it and it was good to be back. When you're not in and around a football club and players, you do miss it. I'm the worst in the world.

"I love football that much I want to do it all the time; sadly I can't. In the last few days I've had a big taste again."

The ex-England star was also thrilled by the chance to play alongside Liverpool's No.7, Luis Suarez. However, he was interrupted by Jamie Carragher midway through delivering praise for the Uruguayan.

"It was brilliant - I think he's a phenomenal player. Along with Steven, he was by far Liverpool's best player last year," he added.

"Carra was the second half of the season, but those two all season were phenomenal."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

gafferino wrote: »
    Really Fred Funk?

Fred Funk is an actual name. I'm referring names like G-mac and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

@Gunga__Din: Suarez and family straight to the airport after Gerrards testimonial. He's been given the week off to decide what he wants to do

Ah, böllocks. Was hoping to see him play one last time in Oslo.

• Advertisement

Wonder if hes gonna play in Dublin now :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Fred Funk is an actual name. I'm referring names like G-mac and the like.

Fredddddddyyy. The Fredsteeerrr. Fredmiester. F to the R to the Eddy, are you ready. Double F. Frederick Funkenheimer the Fifth. Funtastic Freddy And The Funky Four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

ush wrote: »
    Ah, böllocks. Was hoping to see him play one last time in Oslo.

I'd take that with a fistful of salt.

I used to follow him on Twitter until I realised he was 16 or 17 and didn't know anything about anything.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I'd take that with a fistful of salt.

I used to follow him on Twitter until I realised he was 16 or 17 and didn't know anything about anything.

I think that's been reported a few places......could still be all b to the ollocks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Sunday Times claiming (non Champions League)Spurs are gonna bid for Suarz.

Reina on skysports saying Suarez will leave and how much he's looking forward to CL football

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Let them bid.

The Valarenga game will be quite heavy with youth players I suspect. Weird that Celtic have ducked out of playing a league game against St Mirren for a friendly. You'd think the SPL/SFA would be unhappy with that.

mike65 wrote: »
    Let them bid.

Really, Spurs? 'Cos they'll meet the asking price. They'll be flush will pesetas after selling Bale to Real Madrid.

Still don't have to sell to them. Arsenal have the money as well.

Sunday Times claiming (non Champions League)Spurs are gonna bid for Suarz.

Reina on skysports saying Suarez will leave and how much he's looking forward to CL football
    Last week we were hopeful that Suarez was being persuaded to stay, but I think yesterday all but confirmed that the player himself seems to have no intention of staying.

Still don't have to sell to them. Arsenal have the money as well.

Don't have to, but they will. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Rodgers just mentioned valuation rather than the issue of strengthening a rival.

Last week we were hopeful that Suarez was being persuaded to stay, but I think yesterday all but confirmed that the player himself seems to have no intention of staying.

I think all the posturing from Brendan is kinda admitting the fact that hes going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Vicxas wrote: »
    I think all the posturing from Brendan is kinda admitting the fact that hes going.

Agreed but to who?

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/141686-creditable-spain-draw-for-u21s
    Alex Inglethorpe declared himself delighted as a young Liverpool U21s side produced a superb display to draw 0-0 with Real Sociedad in Spain on Saturday night.

The Spanish outfit had players over the age of 22 on show while Liverpool had players on duty aged between 16 and 19.

Jon Flanagan was the most experienced red shirt on show while Irish starlet Ryan McLaughlin enjoyed a run-out on the right side of midfield.

Inglethorpe told Liverpoolfc.com: "I'm proud of the boys and they were brave and did so well against experienced opponents, and that's exactly the game we needed.

"It was an oustanding game and the boys played to their limit.

"Both teams passed the ball really well and it was one of the best games I have seen at youth level."

Liverpool U21s team: Danny Ward, Jon Flanagan, Craig Roddan, Stephen Sama, Jakub Sokolik (Lloyd Jones 75), Jordan Rossiter (Cameron Brannagan 70), Ryan McLaughlin (Daniel Trickett-Smith 60), Jordan Lussey, Joao Carlos Teixeira (Joe Maguire 80), trialist (Nacho 45), Villyan Bijev (Kris Peterson 45).

Agreed but to who?

If Real dont get Bale then thats where, if not then I think he might stay with us until January.

• Advertisement

ush wrote: »
    Don't have to, but they will. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Rodgers just mentioned valuation rather than the issue of strengthening a rival.

One can parse words a bit too closely. We don't know what the club REALLY intend. They might just wait and force the issue, Suarez is forced to hand in a transfer request, its refused, Suarez goes to arbitration and the transfer window closes before its resolved! :p

At which point he'll mutter something about being held a prisoner.

One can parse words a bit too closely. We don't know what the club REALLY intend. They might just wait and force the issue, Suarez is forced to hand in a transfer request, its refused, Suarez goes to arbitration and the transfer window closes before its resolved! :p

Yeah, Mike. But if there's anyone on here who is gonna overestimate the strength of LFC's position, its you. :P

If he hands in a transfer request, he's gone.

Love Fowler. One of my favourite pool players of all time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

When players and ex-players have to come out and beg for him to stay the writing is on the wall.

All along Ive been fine with selling him but to Arsenal I just can't stomach. Someone in Europe must be interested in him, even at a knock down price. Barring a miracle season we might aswell accept 5th/6th place now if we sell him to that lot.

We would send a strong message if Arsenal did offer the asking and we flogged him to another league at a cheaper price. We just cant strengthen our closest rival for 4th.

rob316 wrote: »
    When players and ex-players have to come out and beg for him to stay the writing is on the wall.

All along Ive been fine with selling him but to Arsenal I just can't stomach. Someone in Europe must be interested in him, even at a knock down price. Barring a miracle season we might aswell accept 5th/6th place now if we sell him to that lot.

We would send a strong message if Arsenal did offer the asking and we flogged him to another league at a cheaper price. We just cant strengthen our closest rival for 4th.

Bang on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

I am in agreement with this...I mean wouldn't it be better to sell him cheaper to a foreign club then lose out on fourth. The sale can buy us a couple of quality players but that's no good to us if Suarez is banging goals past us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Love Fowler. One of my favourite pool players of all time

3 of our greatest players in the last 20 years have been local lads(Fowler,Gerrard and Carragher), I look at our youth set up nowadays and wonder if we will ever produce their likes again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭Damien360

Anyone wrote: »
    3 of our greatest players in the last 20 years have been local lads(Fowler,Gerrard and Carragher), I look at our youth set up nowadays and wonder if we will ever produce their likes again.

It is a reflection of the lack of the abundance of real talent in UK and Ireland. Spain started with the youths in every village and reaped the rewards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

It was such a pleasure watching those lads down the years, its the likes of them that make lfc so special

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Damien360 wrote: »
    It is a reflection of the lack of the abundance of real talent in UK and Ireland. Spain started with the youths in every village and reaped the rewards

I'm not sure, there are youth set ups in most towns througout the UK. But its not working.

I was watching Soccer Saturday yesterday, and I think they mentioned Watford had taken on over 20 youths from Italy.

Of local lads Jordan Lussey, Jack Robinson, Craig Roddan, Jordan Rossiter, Nathan Burke, Jack Dunn could be mainstays yet but Flanagan, Coady, Morgan will not be.

Agreed apart from the knock down price. F&ck that the guy is world class. Pay up top dollar or we are keeping him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

You could also throw McManaman into that mix aswell, he was one of the best around in the mid to late 90's

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Our former transfer guru on 5 Live at the moment -

Simon Clancy @SiClancy
    Damien Comolli live on #5LiveSport now, says he's never seen a clause put in a contract in the UK that would allow a player to go. #Suarez

Simon Clancy @SiClancy
    Comolli: "Very messy situation. We're only hearing the Liverpool side at the moment. But this could go to CAS or to arbitration with the PL"

Honestly wouldn't be bothered, if he went to Arsenal, Spurs or Chelsea.

Anything less than 50 million and we've received a return ticket to the cleaners. Price should be closer to 60, especially given how much the guy that runs really, really fast for Spurs is being touted about for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I just don't understand why he would want to go to Arsenal, they have been scraping cl for a while now and are still even wiith suarez the most vunerable to slip out of it. So he might get to play cl this year but the season after he could be back in the same situation as he is with us.

Is there another bid on the table from another club we don't know about? Highly unlikely it could be kept this quiet but you never know.

I wanted this put but to bed by now but it looks like its going to drag on to the window closes thus disrupting all our other business.

CAS? for ffs Suarez show a little bit of respect for the club that stood by you when you were public enemy no.1 :mad:

I just don't understand why he would want to go to Arsenal, they have been scraping cl for a while now and are still even wiith suarez the most vunerable to slip out of it. So he might get to play cl this year but the season after he could be back in the same situation as he is with us.

Is there another bid on the table from another club we don't know about? Highly unlikely it could be kept this quiet but you never know.

I wanted this put but to bed by now but it looks like its going to drag on to the window closes thus disrupting all our other business.

CAS? for ffs Suarez show a little bit of respect for the club that stood by you when you were public enemy no.1 :mad:

It would make sense if he were to go to Chelsea, but even then they are prone to falling flat on their face in the CL.

Real would make much more sense as they regularly make it to the Quarters/Semi of it. Arsenal have a hard time getting out of the group stages....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Arsenal are two to three player's away from having a team that could win the league. A mix of youth and experience. Any Liverpool fan would love to swap with us to get top 4 every season. We don't overspend like Liverpool and have the same manager now for 18 years. A stable club. I'm not shocked Suarez wants to join arsenal.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Honestly wouldn't be bothered, if he went to Arsenal, Spurs or Chelsea.

Anything less than 50 million and we've received a return ticket to the cleaners. Price should be closer to 60, especially given how much the guy that runs really, really fast for Spurs is being touted about for.

I honestly don't get how you can say this, unless Spurs go full loco and blow the majority if not all of their potential Bale money on Suarez, both can GTFO.

He just wants out of Liverpool.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement