Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

False.

BQ5XpqdCUAAmHgr.jpg:large

Close up.

BQ5kix5CEAEGJCv.jpg:large

I see Buxton is getting slaughtered for tweeting that. Even though he's a blue, it's such a blatant lie that would have been easily disproved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

who is that kid beside Martin Kelly? one of the under 8s?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

BMJD wrote: »
    who is that kid beside Martin Kelly? one of the under 8s?

Wee Jay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I see Buxton is getting slaughtered for tweeting that. Even though he's a blue, it's such a blatant lie that would have been easily disproved.

He does that on a regular basis. Tweets blatantly false stuff, causes a ****storm and then comes back a few hours later saying he made a mistake. Don't know why some people still take him seriously, he's so predictable at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Surely to jaysus this Suarez saga needs to be sorted this week. I know the Window is open for a few more weeks but the season starts in 12 days and it cant be helping the teams preparations

Teams are waiting I say until the last moment so they are not buying so much of his ban. Why pay so much money for a player and pay him money when he cant play.

Wait until the end of the windo and he has 3 games left on the ban and will not be cup tied in Europe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Teams are waiting I say until the last moment so they are not buying so much of his ban. Why pay so much money for a player and pay him money when he cant play.

Wait until the end of the windo and he has 3 games left on the ban and will not be cup tied in Europe

What?

That makes no sense what so ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm not sure I get it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Any team in a position to afford his transfer fee is not going to be worrying about having to pay him an extra 3 weeks wages...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Former Liverpool goalkeeper David James believes they would be a better side without striker Luis Suarez.

Uruguay international Suarez has been linked with a move away from Anfield, with Arsenal having had a bid of £40m and £1 rejected.

But James is convinced Liverpool could secure a top-four finish in the Premier League if Suarez were to leave the club.

"On a purely footballing side of things, as talented an individual as he is, the problem I find is that everything seems to go through Luis Suarez," said the 43-year-old.

"You have this talented player and there is no question about that but does it make the team better?

"I think there is so much hinging on Suarez that it is actually stopping Liverpool from progressing.

"I think the club, in letting him go, can actually then develop a lot more unpredictability about them, in the sense that they will have more options to play.

"(Daniel) Sturridge came in and was their second top goalscorer in half a season and you have Stevie G (Gerrard) there as always bolstering those numbers but there is so much focus on one player.

"Last season Liverpool finished seventh. I think without Suarez, they have a better chance (of finishing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I can kind of see what James is trying to get at and the team played some great football at the end of the season when Suarez was suspended but....well James is a bit mental, isn't he?

• Advertisement

Thankfully James's opinion counts for fcuk all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

delaney001 wrote: »
    Any team in a position to afford his transfer fee is not going to be worrying about having to pay him an extra 3 weeks wages...

Yep sure he'd be training with the team which is worth paying the wages. Bizarre suggestion from that poster. What was the European cup tied thing about? Sure he can't get tied unless he moves anyway. Strange.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Thankfully James's opinion counts for fcuk all

Yup.

Anybody agree with him to an extent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

James is correct but its always unpopular to put squad quality above "star" names round here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

billy2012 wrote: »
    Yup.

Anybody agree with him to an extent?
    To an extent yes, but a lot of the best players up front constantly look for the ball.

mike65 wrote: »
    James is correct but its always unpopular to put squad quality above "star" names round here!

Its not the first time you have come out with this line.

As usual it's complete nonsense. No fan I've ever met thinks a player is above the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well maybe I exaggerate but there is too much hero worship and not enough analysis. I'd take two good players in the right positions over one star of the side at their maximum value any day of the week. Its why I'd have sold Gerrard in 2010 for 25 million and would happily sell Suarez now for 50. Obviously the manager needs to have the right touch in the market and God only knows who Hodgson would have picked up that summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

I can see where James is coming from but I think he might have gone a little too far. But it is true, sometimes a star name can have so much influence in the team it affects the others negatively.

For all Suarez brilliance I don't get the feeling he always makes others play better around him.
    I thought Liverpool looked better balanced towards the end of the season with him out of the team but that may have a lot to do with the quality of teams we played.

I agree there are certain fans who get too emotionally attached to players and a form of idolatry seems to overshadow their support for the team. I'm guessing these are usually very young fans.

Well maybe I exaggerate but there is too much hero worship and not enough analysis. I'd take two good players in the right positions over one star of the side at their maximum value any day of the week. Its why I'd have sold Gerrard in 2010 for 25 million and would happily sell Suarez now for 50. Obviously the manager needs to have the right touch in the market and God only knows who Hodgson would have picked up that summer.

The team would not be better off without Suarez. Winning some games without him at the back end of last season certainly won't convince me otherwise.

If he's properly replaced then all players can be replaced but can you see us spending big cash to replace him along with filling the other positions that are needed? It could well happen but I wouldn't be betting much on it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Would you sell him to Arsenal for £40,000,001 to the current 4th best team in England though?

That is the only offer on the table at the moment and since you seem to be such a proponent of selling him I guess you think that's acceptable, rather than hold out for 50m+ that you seem to suggest above although it goes against all your other points on the subject.

Selling Suarez would weaken our squad, no two ways about it.

I wouldn't agree with selling to Arsenal under any circumstances.

If we could sell to Madrid and replace Suarez with the likes of Martinez for the CF position and Sharqiri for WF then I think we would be mad not to.

Overall the team would be alot stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭Damien360

Pedalstool wrote: »

For all Suarez brilliance I don't get the feeling he always makes others play better around him.
    I thought Liverpool looked better balanced towards the end of the season with him out of the team but that may have a lot to do with the quality of teams we played.

Agree 100%. I thought Sturridge looked much more comfortable in himself as the prime target . It should be pointed out that Allen was missing for much of this also . He looks lost against decent teams and it effects the team balance hugely when someone has to cover for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

There is no solid evidence to back up the theory.

Unless you have some?

I wouldn't agree with selling to Arsenal under any circumstances.

If we could sell to Madrid and replace Suarez with the likes of Martinez for the CF position and Sharqiri for WF then I think we would be mad not to.

Overall the team would be alot stronger.

No chance whatsoever of getting those players. We should be trying to get that type of player anyhow, but they wouldn't come to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Espn claiming we've giving Luis permission to speak to Arsenal

www.espn.co.uk/espn/sport/video_audio/227775.html?genre=1;sport=3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Espn claiming we've giving Luis permission to speak to Arsenal

www.espn.co.uk/espn/sport/video_audio/227775.html?genre=1;sport=3

We did ages ago? That's why they paid 40million +1

5starpool wrote: »
    No chance whatsoever of getting those players. We should be trying to get that type of player anyhow, but they wouldn't come to us.

Martinez has had one proper season in European football so I'm not sure why he gets so much attention. Likewise Shaqiri has yet to do anything of note in Germany. He looked ordinary against Dortmund.

It amazes me that so many people look at Shaqiri and ignore the potential that Sterling has. Why spend so much money on Shaqiri when you have someone like Sterling developing all the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Anyone that thinks we would be able to replace a player of suarez quality in this window is smoking the same stuff they are at the Emirates!

Just tell Ayre to arrange a Player-Swap with Schalke.

We give them Suarez, they give us Papa and Draxler. He gets to play CL, we get a CB and a CAM. Everyone wins! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Anyone that thinks we would be able to replace a player of suarez quality in this window is smoking the same stuff they are at the Emirates!

I don't think they'd even try. Positions through the starting XI need strengthening. They were always gonna focus on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Martinez has had one proper season in European football so I'm not sure why he gets so much attention. Likewise Shaqiri has yet to do anything of note in Germany. He looked ordinary against Dortmund.

It amazes me that so many people look at Shaqiri and ignore the potential that Sterling has. Why spend so much money on Shaqiri when you have someone like Sterling developing all the time.

I agree sterling has alot to offer to us etc.. But shaqiri is the dogs bollocks already has a very high ceiling and is still very young. Lad chipped in with a good few goals/ assists last season despite limited playing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

NoelJ wrote: »
    We did ages ago? That's why they paid 40million +1

No they offered 40m +1 because they thought that would activate a sell on clause and we would have no choice but to sell.

Its a different issue if Liverpool have actually given him permission to speak to them.

Prob just ESPN clutching at straws because his missed Gerrard's gala dinner

klose wrote: »
    I agree sterling has alot to offer to us etc.. But shaquiri is the dogs bollocks already has a very high ceiling and is still very young. Lad chipped in with a good few goals/ assists last season despite limited playing time.

I think Sterling did likewise, despite it being his first season playing at senior level and despite being 3 years younger than Shaqiri.

I don't see why someone with Sterlings technique, pace and stamina couldn't develop to a similar if not higher level than Shaqiri.

When you have another kid like Ibe waiting in the wings also, why spend so much on a player like Shaqiri that still has to prove himself at the highest level.

I think Sterling did likewise, despite it being his first season playing at senior level and despite being 3 years younger than Shaqiri.

I don't see why someone with Sterlings technique, pace and stamina couldn't develop to a similar if not higher level than Shaqiri.

When you have another kid like Ibe waiting in the wings also, why spend so much on a player like Shaqiri that still has to prove himself at the highest level.

I'm not getting too carried away with Sterling yet.

He had a few good games for us and some poor games. He's miles away from being the finished article. Hopefully he makes it as a first teamer.

Sterling is only 18 and ibe is only gone what, 17? We cant really rely on em and we dont want to burn em out wither. Ideally wed ship downing out for shaqiri in an ideal world and still have the two lads knocking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Thread strikes gold again.

Hopefully he does.....but we need someone who is ready now to start for us week in week out.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'm not getting too carried away with Sterling yet.

He had a few good games for us and some poor games. He's miles away from being the finished article. Hopefully he makes it as a first teamer.

I think thats par for the course being so young. Something similar happens to the majority of young players of his ilk who make the breakthrough young. However, if you look at his ability on its own he's got enormous potential. To me he looks a better player than Bale or Walcott at a similar age. That however is no guarantee he will become a better player than those two but you have to hope he will.

Ibe is similarily impressive for one so young. I think you have to give these guys the opportunities to play in the first team, regardless of their age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

No they offered 40m +1 because they thought that would activate a sell on clause and we would have no choice but to sell.

Its a different issue if Liverpool have actually given him permission to speak to them.

Prob just ESPN clutching at straws because his missed Gerrard's gala dinner
    Most reports say the 40+1 bid did activate a clause. A clause whereby Liverpool must inform Suarez of the bid and allow him to speak to the other club. But Liverpool still have the option of turning down the bid, as they did.

Sterling played very well on Saturday I thought. Himself and Coutinho were the two that got the crowd going in the first hour.

• Advertisement

Capitol One Cup: Preston vs Blackpool is on right now.

Robinson is starting. Mellor is commenting.

Sterling played very well on Saturday I thought. Himself and Coutinho were the two that got the crowd going in the first hour.

There is a nice balance to them also. One being the playmaker the, other giving a threat in behind.

Impressed with the work rate of both of them also. Working back and defending.

Hopefully he does.....but we need someone who is ready now to start for us week in week out.

I think Sterling might be. He'll be 19 in Dec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

There is no solid evidence to back up the theory.

Unless you have some?
    I have to agree with Mike65 to a large degree on this.

While Suarez is brilliant at times, he is also a maverick if you will. Looking at Uruguay playing at the Confederations Cup it looked very obvious to me anyway. Uruguay play a very compact formation leaving two up top, Suarez and Cavani normally. They have loads of space and Suarez can use his skill to get by the defence and either shoot or play in another attacker to shoot. More or less counter-attacking football.

He is still effective when the opposition are on the defensive but he doesnt link well with his teammates imo.

I think the same situation arises with Liverpool. We are moving towards a more pressing game when we dont have the ball which is ideal for Suarez but we also want to hold the ball and make the opposition tired by trying to win the ball back. We need players to run into space to recieve th ball and pass and show for the ball again.

Suarez will get the ball and try to beat the man probably more than he should and lose the ball. It could leave us exposed to a counter-attack and it did a few times last year. Its going to happen to a degree anyway but will happen more with him in the team, imo.

When he does beat a defender though it certainly adds excitement and the chance of a goal but there were times last year when he could have passed to a better placed player and didnt.

Keeping Suarez has to be balanced with replacing him with 2 players who will bring something different to the team. Atm i am 50/50 with keeping him with the possibility he will throw a hissy fit and reduce his potential value in a sale.

The u21s are playing bolognas first team tomorrow, should be able to see if any young players will go to norway wednesday judging by the team that plays there. Will be a good test for em!

It could turn out really well or really badly if we have Sterling/Ibe/Aspas/Alberto coming in as subs or occasional starters with Suarez/Sturridge/Coutinho as a general front 3 as things stand (I think Borini will leave so not including him). There is some depth there, but a lot of it very young, so worrying in that sense. If Suarez leaves though it obviously puts that in a bit of a hoop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Basically all the stories around Suarez over the last few days about him going to put in transfer requests/taking us to court have been written by people close to Arsenal football club.

BBC article - David Ornstein (As far as I can see he only reports Arsenal news for them)
    Mirror - John Cross (ON tour with the Arsenal squad in pre-season, general mouthpiece for them)
    Latest one from ESPN - Paul Mariner (Former player)

It means they are more than likely all feeding from the same trough with regards sources and are just regurgitating what Arsenal want them to in the press.

I've no clue how things will end up but I wouldn't be getting agitated either way by what is being written in the press at the moment. They all have an agenda as was so wonderfully demonstrated by that **** stirring **** Buxton this morning.

Opr

It could turn out really well or really badly if we have Sterling/Ibe/Aspas/Alberto coming in as subs or occasional starters with Suarez/Sturridge/Coutinho as a general front 3 as things stand (I think Borini will leave so not including him). There is some depth there, but a lot of it very young, so worrying in that sense. If Suarez leaves though it obviously puts that in a bit of a hoop.

Hopefully Diego Costa is in the mix also.

opr wrote: »
    Basically all the stories around Suarez over the last few days about him going to put in transfer requests/taking us to court have been written by people close to Arsenal football club.

BBC article - David Ornstein (As far as I can see he only reports Arsenal news for them)
    Mirror - John Cross (ON tour with the Arsenal squad in pre-season, general mouthpiece for them)
    Latest one from ESPN - Paul Mariner (Former player)

It means they are more than likely all feeding from the same trough with regards sources and are just regurgitating what Arsenal want them to in the press.

I've no clue how things will end up but I wouldn't be getting agitated either way by what is being written in the press at the moment. They all have an agenda as was so wonderfully demonstrated by that **** stirring **** Buxton this morning.

Opr

One of the echo lads tweeted today hes alot more confident of suarez staying now then compared to a few weeks ago. Buxton is scandalous these days, dosent deserve some of the grief he gets on twitter but he brings some of it on himself.

• Advertisement

Hopefully Diego Costa is in the mix also.

Kinda forgot about him. If he does come in it surely spells the end for Borini and or Downing (who I forgot to mention as well).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement