Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

klose wrote: »
    One of the echo lads tweeted today hes alot more confident of suarez staying now then compared to a few weeks ago. Buxton is scandalous these days, dosent deserve some of the grief he gets on twitter but he brings some of it on himself.

What did he do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Pedalstool wrote: »
    What did he do?

Said that suarez refused to applaude the liverpool fans at training today. Even though there were photos to prove otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Hopefully we will see Sturridge play some part on Sat against Celtic.
    Brendan Rodgers believes Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge can be one of the “top strikers in the Premier League” this season.

The 40-year-old Reds manager signed Sturridge in a £12m deal from Chelsea during the January transfer window, with the former Manchester City forward struggling to hold down a starting spot at the west London side.

And the England international immediately repaid the Northern Irishman for his faith in the youngster with a return of 10 goals in 14 Premier League appearances, as well as a strike in the FA Cup on his debut.

Sturridge made his return to training from an ankle injury at an open session at Anfield on Monday, and Rodgers reckons the 23-year-old can play a big role for the Reds this term.

“The game on Wednesday will probably be too much for him so we’ll look towards the weekend.

“It’s important he has another good week’s training and it was great to see him back today, because for me he can be one of the top strikers in the Premier League this season.

“He’s played no part in the pre-season so you put him in at the top end of the field with his pace, power and his quality and we are able to add something more to the group as well.

“So it all bodes well for us for the beginning of the season and sets us up nice and solid and exciting for the first game.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

5live wrote: »
    I have to agree with Mike65 to a large degree on this.

While Suarez is brilliant at times, he is also a maverick if you will. Looking at Uruguay playing at the Confederations Cup it looked very obvious to me anyway. Uruguay play a very compact formation leaving two up top, Suarez and Cavani normally. They have loads of space and Suarez can use his skill to get by the defence and either shoot or play in another attacker to shoot. More or less counter-attacking football.

He is still effective when the opposition are on the defensive but he doesnt link well with his teammates imo.

I think the same situation arises with Liverpool. We are moving towards a more pressing game when we dont have the ball which is ideal for Suarez but we also want to hold the ball and make the opposition tired by trying to win the ball back. We need players to run into space to recieve th ball and pass and show for the ball again.

Suarez will get the ball and try to beat the man probably more than he should and lose the ball. It could leave us exposed to a counter-attack and it did a few times last year. Its going to happen to a degree anyway but will happen more with him in the team, imo.

When he does beat a defender though it certainly adds excitement and the chance of a goal but there were times last year when he could have passed to a better placed player and didnt.

Keeping Suarez has to be balanced with replacing him with 2 players who will bring something different to the team. Atm i am 50/50 with keeping him with the possibility he will throw a hissy fit and reduce his potential value in a sale.

All for people making statements but at least you are backing up your views. I would have had similar views on Gerrard over the years - stronger views on Gerrard mind you.

I don't disagree with you to a massive degree as it happens but the fact remains that he is one of the best talents in world football and that loosing him would weaken the squad as a whole.

On the maverick point. I think at least 1 is needed in every squad, especially ones with his raw talent and desire to win.

He is a one in a million player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I'm agreeing with David James on Suarez. He's not a good team player.

Most of the passes he makes have an air of '/rolls eyes, if you were as good as me you could have gotten it.'. It seems like he over-hits it too much, giving the pass recipient a awkward/ scruffy first contact.

His attitude is sh1t and he's a glory hunter.
    His huge goal tally means feck all if it's all hat-tricks against mediocre teams having a bad day while the rest of his team were having a good day.

How often does he stand out in a match and single handedly win a game where the rest of the squad is having a bad day? (Relative to any other premier league teams's top striker.)

I remember seeing something on match of the day last year hypothesizing how every club would be doing in the league without the contribution of their top goal-scorer taken into consideration. At the time it would have meant United would have been a lot closer to 2nd position City without Van Persie, but Liverpool would have been more or less in the same position in the league.

What Liverpool needs to improve on from last season is managing to turn the games where we dominated possession and attempts on goal but still managed to draw. The fix for this is by having 6 players making the right runs and being able to decide in what situation is it better to attempt the shot than pass to a team mate.

• Advertisement

Sea Sharp wrote: »

Most of the passes he makes have an air of '/rolls eyes, if you were as good as me you could have gotten it.'. It seems like he over-hits it too much, giving the pass recipient a awkward/ scruffy first contact.

His huge goal tally means feck all if it's all hat-tricks against mediocre teams having a bad day while the rest of his team were having a good day.

How often does he stand out in a match and single handedly win a game where the rest of the squad is having a bad day? (Relative to any other premier league teams's top striker.)

I remember seeing something on match of the day last year hypothesizing how every club would be doing in the league without the contribution of their top goal-scorer taken into consideration. At the time it would have meant United would have been a lot closer to 2nd position City without Van Persie, but Liverpool would have been more or less in the same position in the league.

What Liverpool needs to improve on from last season is managing to turn the games where we dominated possession and attempts on goal but still managed to draw. The fix for this is by having 6 players making the right runs and being able to decide in what situation is it better to attempt the shot than pass to a team mate.

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Shocking post

We need to score more goals and concede less.

Suarez undoubtedly contributes more than his fair share in terms of goals - probably assists too?

We aren't good enough defensively though but I don't think Luis can be criticised too much for that.

The only doubt over Suarez is his temperament. What I particularly like about him is that he doesn't seem to get injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Gerrard Tribute.
    @LFCFansCorner: Alonso: "For me Gerrard was a reference, the way he behaved well his team mates and with the supporters as well."

@LFCFansCorner: De Rossi: "Gerrard has been my idol for ten years."

@LFCFansCorner: Rossi: "Gerrard is the example of what all midfielders players aspire to. He is always there in the heat of the battle, leading by example."

@LFCFansCorner: De Dossi: "Gerrard is everywhere you look - in defence, in the middle of the pitch and in attack. I would love to be close to that level."

@LFCFansCorner: Kaka: "Gerrard runs, marks, knows how to pass, cross, score goals and he is a leader on the field for LFC. He is a complete modern player."

@LFCFansCorner: Ibrahimovic: "Gerrard is a fantastic player. He has been loyal to his club, he has won some big trophies."

@LFCFansCorner: Ibrahimovic: "English players have big hearts, always fighting, very aggressive, but Gerrard, for me, feels more international."

@LFCFansCorner: Ibrahimovic: "Gerrard has more skills than the normal player."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

4 weeks left in the window. Mother of all meltdowns is still a possibility. Nibbles leaves and no one comes in to replace him.

The internet will break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I am pie wrote: »
    4 weeks left in the window. Mother of all meltdowns is still a possibility. Nibbles leaves and no one comes in to replace him.

The internet will break.

And we've already missed out on Clint Dempsey. Again.

• Advertisement

Robinson is having a Good Game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Wow....mike got trumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

David James hasn't a ****ing clue whether it's football or Art..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Suarez being a glory hunter would be fine anyway, because he's class. It's hardly true, he has a huge number of assists for a forward.

Mad thing to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think some people confuse Suarez being a moany bastard with not being a team player.
    While he might be a bit of a pain to work with with all the mouthing off, when it comes down to the important parts - creating and scoring goals - he is a team player.

The big issue with Suarez is not the how selfish he is on the pitch. Its how selfish he is off it. He is only interested in himself, despite the support he has received from so many people in Liverpool.

Whatever about agitating for a move to Madrid, moving to Arsenal would be a massive insult to the club after all the shame he has brought to Liverpool.

Suarez simply expects a high standard, from those around him, nothing wrong with that. We need more of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Weird one - Irish Times " Downing can leave for 5.8m" (or a packet of Cheesy Whatsits)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Where you dreaming this? I've been trying to find some related stats and all I can come up with quickly is an article the mail did after he was the first in the league to score 10. The stats would have had to go completely haywire for the remaining part of the season for what you're saying above to be true.

(The below is obviously not true as we would replaced him with someone else but for the sake of the point you make above it's the same)
    Without Luis Suarez, who tops the scoring charts with 10 goals and also has two assists, Liverpool would be second bottom.
    They would only have one win to their credit instead of three and 10 fewer points. More worryingly, they would have lost 10 matches and be in real trouble.

Suarez has earned Liverpool at least a point on six occasions in the league this season. Without the Uruguayan, Brendan Rodgers would be in serious peril.

Opta statistics show United are just as reliant on Robin van Persie. Without the Dutchman's nine goals, United would have just three wins instead of ten, and seven draws instead of none.

Here's a few more stats. Anyone who thinks we would be better off without Luis Suarez has a screw loose.

BQ51QmPCUAAuf_G.jpg

luis-suarez-infographic-600x810.jpg

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Liverpool believed to be ready to let Downing leave for €5.8 million

Stewart Downing is set to become the latest highly paid Liverpool player available for transfer, with Newcastle United a possible destination.

The Middlesbrough-born midfielder is valued at around €5.8million by Liverpool and has an uncertain Anfield future under Brendan Rodgers, despite forcing his way into the manager’s plans impressively in the second half of last season.

Downing was the subject of an inquiry from West Ham United last month and Newcastle are known to have an interest.

Downing joined Liverpool for €23 million from Aston Villa only two summers ago and was overlooked by Rodgers at the start of last season, having been told he could leave in January, before reclaiming his place.

The 29-year-old declined the chance to move in January and responded to West Ham’s recent interest by stating: “It’s not something I am going to consider.”

He added that Rodgers had told him “he’s happy for me to stay” but conceded: “If I’m not in the team and not playing that is a discussion we will have to have then but at the minute I have absolutely no reason to leave.”

He was an unused substitute in Steven Gerrard’s testimonial on Saturday and, with two years remaining on his €93,000-a-week contract and Rodgers hoping to increase competition for attacking places before the transfer deadline, Liverpool could be tempted by a permanent offer. Whether Downing feels the same remains to be seen.

• Advertisement

Suarez simply expects a high standard, from those around him, nothing wrong with that. We need more of it.

I didn't like the moaning he seemed to direct at Sterling at times last year. Seemed to affect his confidence. I think you need to encourage young players not berate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Come on Kinnear, take him off our hands!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hey, I was first with the news thank me! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

opr wrote: »
    Where you dreaming this? I've been trying to find some related stats and all I can come up with quickly is an article the mail did after he was the first in the league to score 10. The stats would have had to go completely haywire for the remaining part of the season for what you're saying above to be true.

(The below is obviously not true as we would replaced him with someone else but for the sake of the point you make above it's the same)

Here's a few more stats. Anyone who thinks we would be better off without Luis Suarez has a screw loose.

BQ51QmPCUAAuf_G.jpg

luis-suarez-infographic-600x810.jpg

Opr

If Bale goes for 85m plus and Suarez for 45-50m should we not feel cheated ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

billy2012 wrote: »
    Liverpool believed to be ready to let Downing leave for €5.8 million

Good luck the most ineffective winger Ive ever seen grace the pitch of anfield. Aspas, Sterling, Ibe all better players.

Every promising counter attack is broken down by his inability to ever beat his man. FFS even the full backs over lap him in attack consistently.

Hes a bargain though at that price for a lower club. Hes a good guy though and knows there no point hanging around collecting his extortinate wages without playing in a WC year.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

Looks like Spurs could be very good this season :pac:

Wouldnt mind seeing a few more players on the pitch with his **** and glory hunting attitude.

Absolute shocking post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Downing at his very best at Anfield has been OK. Just not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

If rodgers could get rid of downing itd be the best bit of buisness hed do all summer :pac:

• Advertisement

We should.

But the Bale fee is also retarded.

There are 2 Reasons why we won't get a Valuation as High as that for Suarez.

1. He has too much Baggage.

2. He told the World and anybody who'd listen on how much he wants to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Any update on Costa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

mike65 wrote: »
    Hey, I was first with the news thank me! :pac:

Thanks Mike.

Happy now?:-)

I think the fact Downing didn't even get out on the pitch against Olympiakos suggests his future at Liverpool is in serious doubt.

I think the fact he is on such a big salary goes against him too, given the policy that the club now seem to have.

If you're Phillipe Coutinho or even Raheem Sterling, you see Downing on £85k a week or so, you got to think to yourself "what?".

Preston 1-0 Blackpool FT.

Preston scored a Header in the last minute of regulation time.

I thought Robinson played really well. He initiated 2 Moves that could have led to Blackpool Goals.

• Advertisement

Preston 1-0 Blackpool FT.

Preston scored a Header in the last minute of regulation time.

I thought Robinson played really well. He initiated 2 Moves that could have led to Blackpool Goals.

I think he has a lot of the attributes needed in terms of physique, pace and technique. I wonder about his concentration and intelligence though. Perhaps it will come with experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

The echo and times reporting downing looks to be off to newcastle for 5mill, says he wants time to think about it and that newcastle are very interested in him. With him and assaidi off youd imagine there'll be a winger coming in.

The echo and times reporting downing looks to be off to newcastle for 5mill, says he wants time to think about it and that newcastle are very interested in him. With him and assaidi off youd imagine there'll be a winger coming in.

I'd imagine costa is his replacement.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If Costa comes in then I don't think we'll sign another forward unless we lose Suarez. I know he's not a wide player really, but even with Borini out as well (if he goes) I can't see too many more front line players being brought in.

5starpool wrote: »
    If Costa comes in then I don't think we'll sign another forward unless we lose Suarez. I know he's not a wide player really, but even with Borini out as well (if he goes) I can't see too many more front line players being brought in.

The more I think about Costa the more I believe he will be Suarez replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Pedalstool wrote: »
    The more I think about Costa the more I believe he will be Suarez replacement.

I hope not :-(

An addition yes, a replacement no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

BQsL52VCUAAaO2Q.jpg:large

I am currently reading Back Henry Street, to try and get a feel of what Blackpool Fans think of Robo.

But there's a Nutter there, that's hellbent on derailing Multiple Threads, with his Fatalism.

Some Samples:
    im happy we lost, it means no one will will expect anything good, and i can refer to this to the people i sit next too, when i give my doom laden predictions for the first home game lol

yes im a cynical pessimist, that sees the worst in every situation and the bad in everyone :P

im also a narcissist so i love to be right coz i always am
    we may have lost

but it was a victory for me, i often predict doom, and even though i support blackpool, i predicted we would lose, i saw it in a dream. now hopefully this will show the more optimisitc fans in our club we will not do well, and adopt a negative attitde to the games

so when we do occasionally win it will be a pleasant suprise.

and football is a nice distraction, considering either the sun will die expand and kill us all or the universe will contract and kill us all. or we will be swallowed into the black hole in the centre of our universe.

and at the end of the day we are all just gonna die anyway :D

see if you have my outlook on life u cant be disapointed

And here I thought, Meltdowns here were the Worst. Oh Perish the Thought! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

At the start of last week there was talk of medicals being booked for Wed and Thurs.

Did anything materialise or did I miss something?

At the start of last week there was talk of medicals being booked for Wed and Thurs.

Did anything materialise or did I miss something?

There were Bookings for Medicals, according to ITKs.

But no Dates were given for them.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I hope not :-(

An addition yes, a replacement no.

It will be very difficult for opposing defences if the two of them line up together at Liverpool, to say the least. I also think the club may need to hire a team of PR people just for the two of them.

BQsL52VCUAAaO2Q.jpg:large

Thats quite creepy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I am currently reading Back Henry Street, to try and get a feel of what Blackpool Fans think of Robo.

But there's a Nutter there, that's hellbent on derailing Multiple Threads, with his Fatalism.

Some Samples:

And here I thought, Meltdowns here were the Worst. Oh Perish the Thought! :D

Raif I think you need your own thread for some of the odd stuff you post in here.

"Raif's Random Shit" has a nice ring to it :)

Dave Hendrick...
    @DaveHendrickTLW: Liverpool standing to lose 33mil on Carroll and Downing. 33mil. *********** hell. That's almost 1 Sergio Aguero down the drain.

@DaveHendrickTLW: Also worth considering we had to give Carroll a pay-off. Rumoured to be a few million. Imagine Downing will get similar.

@DaveHendrickTLW: And the only funny part is that we are better off taking the losses and making the pay-offs than we would be by keeping such dross.

@DaveHendrickTLW: Two mediocre players who were never good enough for Liverpool. Add Adam to it too. Lost 2mil on him and he got a pay-off and between the

@DaveHendrickTLW: trio it's over 40mil worth of losses on Carroll and two players bought to supply him. 61mil to get them. all in all we'll prob only recoup

@DaveHendrickTLW: around 18mil after payoffs. This is the Andy Carroll experiment. This is why Comolli was sacked. This is part of why we failed in the league

@DaveHendrickTLW: under Kenny, and this is why Rodgers took over a mess and had a limited budget last season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement