Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'd be very happy to see Downing sold for £5M. Three years left on his contract worth £4M a year.

Given we seem to be paying new players in the region of £40k-£50k a week, the sale of Downing would add about £10M to our transfer fee kitty for new players (i.e. paying them about £7M over 3 years instead of £12M that Downing would have got).

If that's the model and thinking going forward and to get back into cl then you are in a lot of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

mike65 wrote: »
    No stream but here are the line ups

Teams: Liverpool: Ward; McLaughlin, Roddan, Sama, Jones, Rossiter, Lussey, Teixeira, Peterson, Quesada, Trickett-Smith.

Trialist?

Bologna: Curci; Garics, Radakovic, Natali, Morleo; Taider, Pazienza, Della Rocca; Diamanti, Moscardelli; Bianchi.

Subs :Stojanovic, Agliardi, Crespo, Abero, Antonsson, Ferrari, Casarini, Riverola, Krhin, Christodoulopoulos, Gimenez, Kone,

Not that Crespo!

I think it's Rafa. We got him on Loan from Napoli. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

RasTa wrote: »
    If that's the model and thinking going forward and to get back into cl then you are in a lot of trouble.

Players like Downing are the reason we are struggling to get back to CL.

Players like Downing are the reason we are struggling to get back to CL.

So replacing him with someone on lower wages is the key?

So replacing him with someone BETTER is the key?

FYP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

If Downing is sold, can the players say Downey again?

So replacing him with someone on lower wages is the key?

No.

I want to see one more first team quality player brought in for the front 3/4 positions. Costa is the player being touted at the moment.

We will then be left with:
    Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Costa (or similar) as our first XI players.

Aspas, Sterling, Borini, Alberto, Ibe, Henderson and Gerrard can all play in those front 4 positions.

Simply no need for Downing. The fact that he is on 80K a week just makes it even more sensible to sell.

FYP.

True but will you sign someone on the same wages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

mike65 wrote: »
    Quesada

Trialist?

Fernando Quesada, on trial after being released by Barça's youth apparently

• Advertisement

If that someone is a Shaqiri or Alexis Sanchez, then yes.

Don't have to be on the same wages.

Diego Costa is reportedly only on 20K a week at Atletico and if we triple his wages he will come and still be on less than Downing. I'd say Coutinho and Sturridge are on less than Stewie as well but offer far more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I'd be very happy to see Downing sold for £5M. Three years left on his contract worth £4M a year.

Given we seem to be paying new players in the region of £40k-£50k a week, the sale of Downing would add about £10M to our transfer fee kitty for new players (i.e. paying them about £7M over 3 years instead of £12M that Downing would have got).

We already have money, we cant attract players whether we have it or not. Its probably the major factor Suarez wants out no matter what is said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

daithijjj wrote: »
    We already have money, we cant attract players whether we have it or not. Its probably the major factor Suarez wants out no matter what is said.

I've no idea why, the chap knew what he was joining when he signed up. Now he wants to leave because we're slowly but surely rebuilding and not moving as fast as he'd like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Vicxas wrote: »
    I've no idea why, the chap knew what he was joining when he signed up. Now he wants to leave because we're slowly but surely rebuilding and not moving as fast as he'd like?

We are/soon to be a stepping stone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

1-2 bologna at h/t. Peterson with the goal, diamanti with both for them. Lads punching above their weight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The squad isn't really any better than it was two summers ago (the 1st team certainly isn't). That's the bottom line. It's too slow as to be meaningful progress for him.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The squad isn't really any better than it was two summers ago (the 1st team certainly isn't). That's the bottom line. It's too slow as to be meaningful progress for him.

I hate to flog the worlds worst saying, but to be fair Rome wasn't built in a day.

I can understand his frustration, but unless he actually goes to Real or Bayern he'll be doing himself a disservice.

I hate to flog the worlds worst saying, but to be fair Rome wasn't built in a day.

I can understand his frustration, but unless he actually goes to Real or Bayern he'll be doing himself a disservice.

He would be using his time far more productively at Arsenal than he would be staying with us. He might just push Arsenal on further than imagined. At least he'd have a chance of winning something and get to playing in the CL.

The only thing you can take as semi accurate is the comments from Cavani imo. They were, that if he thought LFC could get CL football next season he wouldnt want to leave. He doesnt think we will obviously, and i cant say i disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

We've missed out on the Champions League three times since he's joined. We're not even in Europe this year. I can understand why he wants to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I'm trying to remember our squad 2 years ago...

Have we really not improved?

Defence is much the same in terms of personal and ability.

We had the likes of Charlie Adam and a younger, more inexperienced and ultimately ****ter Henderson regularly starting games.

I'd like to think Allen and current Henderson are better than that, so I reckon our midfield is better.

Lumbering Carroll as one of our main attacking options and ineffective Downing to supply him. We seem to have faster, more mobile players now.

I'd like to hope that our attack has more cutting edge now than it did 2 years ago.

I'm not sure I'd agree with your sentiment that the squad is much the same as 2 years ago.

I think it's come one a bit, and we may improve it before the end of this window remember

Morzadec wrote: »
    I'm trying to remember our squad 2 years ago...

Have we really not improved?

Defence is much the same in terms of personal and ability.

We had the likes of Charlie Adam and a younger, more inexperienced and ultimately ****ter Henderson regularly starting games.

I'd like to think Allen and current Henderson are better than that, so I reckon our midfield is better.

Lumbering Carroll as one of our main attacking options and ineffective Downing to supply him. We seem to have faster, more mobile players now.

I'd like to hope that our attack has more cutting edge now than it did 2 years ago.

I'm not sure I'd agree with your sentiment that the squad is much the same as 2 years ago.

I think it's come one a bit, and we may improve it before the end of this window remember

Gerrard was better then than now; Lucas was just coming into his own as arguably the best player in the league. Kuyt was far more impactful than the likes of Borini or Sterling to date.

Allen is the kind of player people on here like, but has he really added more than Adam did in his season? Not sure at all.

If we've improved, it's because Coutinho and Sturridge are going to operate consistently like they did at the end of last season. I hope it's true, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Summer 2011

Main defenders

Johnson Carra Skrtel Agger Enrique

Main midfield

Lucas Gerrard Adam Downing Henderson

Main attack

Suarez Kuyt Carroll Bellamy

Assorted Others

Sterling, Maxi, Shelvey, Ngog, Aurélio, Robinson, Flanagan, Spearing, Cole

I thought Bellamy had a very good year with us, was a great free xfer. Pity we didnt see Diame come in on a free and see what Summer would have happened minus Comolli.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Gerrard was better then than now; Lucas was just coming into his own as arguably the best player in the league. Kuyt was far more impactful than the likes of Borini or Sterling to date.

Allen is the kind of player people on here like, but has he really added more than Adam did in his season? Not sure at all.

If we've improved, it's because Coutinho and Sturridge are going to operate consistently like they did at the end of last season. I hope it's true, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to wonder.

I'm not sure about Gerrard - he had the best season in a long while last season and has made a new role for himself.

Lucas has a season behind him now and I don't see how he can be worse now as a player than 2 years ago. Even last season he was very good on the whole imo.

I agree that Allen needs to add more assists and goals to his game, but I think he is better than Adam. I mean it's a different style to how we played under Kenny, but Allen is far more mobile and definitely fits into this system better.

Kuyt is a bit of a loss, but you could compare him to the likes of Coutinho or even Aspas, and maybe this season's squad will come out more favourably. And I also think Sterling will be very effective this season.

I don't know this is a difficult debate unless we meticulously go through player by player, and we don't know much about how Aspas or Alberto will turn out. But I think we've come on a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Sappy404 wrote: »
    We've missed out on the Champions League three times since he's joined. We're not even in Europe this year. I can understand why he wants to leave.

I've heard the same thing over the years about Reina, Agger, Gerrard, and now Coutinho. Taken in isolation you could make arguments that all of these players and others (Johnson, Lucas, etc.) are CL quality players and that 'the team' is letting them down. Personally, I think its absolute horse manure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

FT

Liverpool U21-Bologna 1-3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Rodgers is only in charge 1 year now. There had been alot of change before that time with Kenny and Roy!

Rodgers has made alot of changes in the last year.

The main things I think Liverpool fans can be happy about are:

1) We are playing a much more attractive style of football to rival any team in the league in terms of attractiveness. It's been a long time since this was the case. Some of the football under Houllier, Rafa, Roy and even Kenny wasn't great.

2) We have started to bring through some youth players. Massive change and crucial for the club.

3) Wage bill dramatically reduced. Puts the club on a more sustainable footing.

Even if first team isn't that much stronger (debateable as I'd say it is), the above make the last year very positive. Rodgers main issue now is to achieve consistency of results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

For you LFC fans, JOE.ie interviewing Rodgers

• Advertisement

Are you seriously suggesting that Lucas was the best player in the league in 2010/11? Ok he had a good season, however, I think this is stretching it a bit

Morzadec wrote: »
    I'm not sure about Gerrard - he had the best season in a long while last season and has made a new role for himself.

Lucas has a season behind him now and I don't see how he can be worse now as a player than 2 years ago. Even last season he was very good on the whole imo.

I agree that Allen needs to add more assists and goals to his game, but I think he is better than Adam. I mean it's a different style to how we played under Kenny, but Allen is far more mobile and definitely fits into this system better.

Kuyt is a bit of a loss, but you could compare him to the likes of Coutinho or even Aspas, and maybe this season's squad will come out more favourably. And I also think Sterling will be very effective this season.

I don't know this is a difficult debate unless we meticulously go through player by player, and we don't know much about how Aspas or Alberto will turn out. But I think we've come on a bit

He had his best season for fitness, its another debate about the rest. He scored 9 in 28 that season, 10 in 46 last season.

When i factor in that Suarez and Gerrard were available for an extra 26/7 league games between them last season to what Kenny had, i again struggle to see where the real progress is. If we lost both for that amount of time this coming season i dont think we would do any better than the season we had under Kenny.

The full version of Brendans interview will be on Newstalk at 7.30pm.

Off The Ball ‏@offtheball 11m
    That Brendan Rodgers interview coming up after 7.30pm

He had his best season for fitness, its another debate about the rest. He scored 9 in 28 that season, 10 in 46 last season.

When i factor in that Suarez and Gerrard were available for an extra 26/7 league games between them last season to what Kenny had, i again struggle to see where the real progress is. If we lost both for that amount of time this coming season i dont think we would do any better than the season we had under Kenny.

Try not to think about it so much and just sit back and watch the games, cheer on the team and celebrate life!

Didn't he have a career year (or close to it) in terms of EPL assists last year as well? He actually started off last season pretty shakily but the middle and later part of the season he was immense. If he continues that form into this season, he could be our signing of the summer

Sorry, was dying to use that phrase for a while!!

Impending Suarez **** storm. Batten down the hatches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I think you could easily argue either way on Gerrard.

Kuyt more impactful that Sterling or Borini? Hardly a fare comparison. One is 18 and just had his debut season. Borini (im not a fan btw) spent most of the season injured.

Allen IMO is and will be a better player than we have seen so far. Better than Adam for sure IMO. 15m might have been a bit high but thats not the players fault and I think he will go on to be a good player for us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

'Injured' Suarez will not go on Norway trip according to BBC. Wonder if this is a genuine injury or if he's about to hand in a transfer request

Pedalstool wrote: »
    Impending Suarez **** storm. Batten down the hatches.

Ay?

• Advertisement

'Injured' Suarez will not go on Norway trip according to BBC. Wonder if this is a genuine injury or if he's about to hand in a transfer request

The Suarez saga is really annoying at this stage. Whatever happens, I just hope it happens quickly.

NEDDURC wrote: »
    Rodgers is only in charge 1 year now. There had been alot of change before that time with Kenny and Roy!

Rodgers has made alot of changes in the last year.

The main things I think Liverpool fans can be happy about are:

1) We are playing a much more attractive style of football to rival any team in the league in terms of attractiveness. It's been a long time since this was the case. Some of the football under Houllier, Rafa, Roy and even Kenny wasn't great.

2) We have started to bring through some youth players. Massive change and crucial for the club.

3) Wage bill dramatically reduced. Puts the club on a more sustainable footing.

Even if first team isn't that much stronger (debateable as I'd say it is), the above make the last year very positive. Rodgers main issue now is to achieve consistency of results.

I dont mean to pick you out here, its more a general view but the highlighted part???

Let me ask people this.

1. Did anyone give a monkeys uncle when Skrtel launched it 60 yards and Torres equalised at Old Trafford in the 4-1?

2. Did anyone care when Carra launched it 60 yards against Real Madrid at Anfield when Torres scored?

3. Did anyone give the slightest f**k for 'attractiveness' when Reina launched it the length of the pitch onto Carroll's head for Kuyt to nip past Evra and bury it to put United out of the FA cup?

4. Indeed under Rodgers, did anyone care when Wisdom did the same and Sturridge scored the equaliser away at Fulham (?) last season?.

Nobody gave the slightest interest in 'beauty'. We played some glorious football when Kenny came in initially, the 5-2 at Fulham for example.

Brendan Rodgers doesnt have a 'copyright' on what is attractive play in my eyes. As one far more trophy laden manager once said, "its not about the long ball or the short ball, but the right ball."

The managers highlighted brought trophies and prestige to the club/back to the club. Arsenal played the best football i had seen in a while a few years ago at Anfield. How many gave a sh1t about that when we launched one onto Crouch's head for a knock down to Torres to bury it in the CL?.

Nobody, thats who.

Well, this is the end I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

What's up with the blatantly vague messages lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

This Suarez saga is going on longer than Kate Middleton's pregnancy

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Turtyturd wrote: »
    What's up with the blatantly vague messages lately?

You'll see...

• Advertisement

(Tony Barrett) Suarez's demeanour in recent weeks has caused concern and may yet prompt a rethink of the Anfield hierarchy's stance.

I think the writing is on the wall.

Pedalstool wrote: »
    Try not to think about it so much and just sit back and watch the games, cheer on the team and celebrate life!

Yea, best not discuss the fact about losing your two best players for half the season, takes a little shine off 'progress', sorry about that, as you were.!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Rooney injured, Bale injured and now Suarez injured. The end game is coming I think.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Are we being buttered up for a sale to Arsenal after all for a fee not much in advance (if any) of what has already been offered? Under no circumstances should we sell to Arsenal. None.

5starpool wrote: »
    Are we being buttered up for a sale to Arsenal after all for a fee not much in advance (if any) of what has already been offered? Under no circumstances should we sell to Arsenal. None.

Heads should roll if that happens

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement