Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

rob316 wrote: »
    Rooney injured, Bale injured and now Suarez injured. The end game is coming I think.

It's like a big sh!t blockage in the transfer window sewage pipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

5starpool wrote: »
    Are we being buttered up for a sale to Arsenal after all for a fee not much in advance (if any) of what has already been offered? Under no circumstances should we sell to Arsenal. None.

Whatever Suarez feels about the media and other teams fans reactions towards him is right now, if the Arsenal move materialises for him, he'll be hounded out the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Suarez did take a knock yesterday in training from Martin Kelly so he probably is actually injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rooney injured, Bale injured and now Suarez injured. The end game is coming I think.

Who could have guessed so many talented players would all pick up injures at the same time. If I had a tin foil hat I'd be wearing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

daithijjj wrote: »
    Yea, best not discuss the fact about losing your two best players for half the season, takes a little shine off 'progress', sorry about that, as you were.!!

I think people take things far too seriously. If you were making these arguments at Boardroom level in Anfield, fair enough. Unfortnately you're making this argument to a bunch of lads with nothing else to do!

Downing will probably pick up an injury now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Are we being buttered up for a sale to Arsenal after all for a fee not much in advance (if any) of what has already been offered? Under no circumstances should we sell to Arsenal. None.

Dont know if it will be Arsenal but i said the other day that i thought Costa would be a Suarez replacement.

Dont know if it will be Arsenal but i said the other day that i thought Costa would be a Suarez replacement.

I've come round to your way of thinking on that one. Makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

mike65 wrote: »
    Who could have guessed so many talented players would all pick up injures at the same time.

Sounds like transferitis to me

Pedalstool wrote: »
    I think people take things far too seriously. If you were making these arguments at Boardroom level in Anfield, fair enough. Unfortnately you're making this argument to a bunch of lads with nothing else to do!

Taking things seriously?. Im just writing my thoughts on LFC in an LFC thread. If you have nothing to add then just ignore it, none of your business what determines discussion in here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Brendan Rodgers has named a 21-man squad to face Valerenga in Norway on Wednesday.

Daniel Agger, Martin Skrtel and Glen Johnson will not travel as a precaution after picking up knocks. Luis Suarez will also remain on Merseyside as a precaution following an injury in training yesterday. He will undergo a scan on his foot later today.

The squad in full is: Jones, Enrique, Toure, Alberto, Gerrard, Aspas, Coutinho, Assaidi, Henderson, Coates, Downing, Spearing, Lucas, Mignolet, Allen, Borini, Sterling, Kelly, Flanagan, Ibe, Wisdom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I dont mean to pick you out here, its more a general view but the highlighted part???

Let me ask people this.

1. Did anyone give a monkeys uncle when Skrtel launched it 60 yards and Torres equalised at Old Trafford in the 4-1?

2. Did anyone care when Carra launched it 60 yards against Real Madrid at Anfield when Torres scored?

3. Did anyone give the slightest f**k for 'attractiveness' when Reina launched it the length of the pitch onto Carroll's head for Kuyt to nip past Evra and bury it to put United out of the FA cup?

4. Indeed under Rodgers, did anyone care when Wisdom did the same and Sturridge scored the equaliser away at Fulham (?) last season?.

Nobody gave the slightest interest in 'beauty'. We played some glorious football when Kenny came in initially, the 5-2 at Fulham for example.

Brendan Rodgers doesnt have a 'copyright' on what is attractive play in my eyes. As one far more trophy laden manager once said, "its not about the long ball or the short ball, but the right ball."

The managers highlighted brought trophies and prestige to the club/back to the club. Arsenal played the best football i had seen in a while a few years ago at Anfield. How many gave a sh1t about that when we launched one onto Crouch's head for a knock down to Torres to bury it in the CL?.

Nobody, thats who.

I don't think you are disagreeing with the point that we are playing more attractive football. We are all pool fans here, we'll support them whatever style they play and of course we want to see them successful.

It would be nice however to play attractive football and win. God knows it's been tough watching them at times over the last 10-15 years.

I said at the end of my post that Rodgers needs to start winning consistenly now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Not sure where I read it, but apparently Real are putting a bid together for Suarez, alot of thier funding is coming from the sale on Contreau. So they need to wrap up that first, then they'll hound us and wave thier B players, ballboys and ground staff as makeweights in the deal.

But, from the Joe.ie interview, Rodgers sounds confident of adding 1 or 2 more names to the squad.

Taking things seriously?. Im just writing my thoughts on LFC in an LFC thread. If you have nothing to add then just ignore it, none of your business what determines discussion in here.

oooooohh...lol

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

flanzer wrote: »
    Whatever Suarez feels about the media and other teams fans reactions towards him is right now, if the Arsenal move materialises for him, he'll be hounded out the country

To be fair, he'd probably only be hounded by some LFC 'fans' on twitter, the type every club has who issues death threats and other such horrible things. The media will focus on it for a while but then concentrate on the same scrutinising of his on pitch behaviour, probably no worse than when he was at Liverpool. I have no doubt there will be stories about the big bad Liverpool fans threatening him if he does go to them, when other clubs have the same type of idiot fans who do crap like that.

I can't see Costa (or similar priced signing) being brought in either unless he left or was going to, although if Downing and Borini were sold there would be room in the squad even with Suarez, plus the money to bring him on too.

On the injury front, while I'm as sceptical as the next person on convenient injuries, apparently he was involved in a challenge with Kelly in training yesterday that he stayed down from, and told Rodgers he didn't feel right after it, so it is plausible that he has a knock anyhow, but we'll see I guess.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Mr Alan wrote: »
    It's not that interesting. A lot of people do pretend everything was Kenny's fault.

Re: whoever said it's been a decent window, not a great one. That doesn't even deserve a response.

I'd like you to cite examples of this, because I've not heard a single soul whether it be in IRL or on this thread say it was entirely Kenny's fault. Ta.
    Window only starts for us WHEN Suarez moves on and we have proper cash to spend. Its pretty clear we do not have the money to spend atm ... probably ~20mill in the kitty, downing moving on represents the last of the big earners who were mistakes off the books - not great business but sensible business. Am i the only one who thinks its brilliant to get 18mill for Carroll???

I expected £10M at a push.. and a big push at that to be quite honest. I think I'm quoted as saying I'd have taken £8M and run!
    Everyone still knows you have a 50m wedge in your sky rocket, they wont forget about it.

Kenny ok'd the players, Comolli ok'd the prices because that was his job and the remit FSG gave him. Much the same as what Rick Parry did under Benitez for Keane.

As has been said, nobody thought value was got but you pay for players you take your chances. Downing and Henderson were players of the year at their clubs, high on stats charts etc. For all i know the yanks got sold on that.

I never said clubs would forget about the £50M.

No club other than a Monaco, City, Chelsea, Real or PSG (I don't think United, Bayern or Barca have spent massive in January in the past AFAIR) will be spending big amounts on an individual player in January.

Clubs where you'd like to buy players from are usually more apprehensive about letting their most wanted players go in January. The same could be said of some players as well.

Just having a glance at the summer of 2011, the following were reportedly available. I used a few different sources and some of the fees ARE educated guesses before going for what they did, some higher and some lower admittedly but not terribly far off what they actually went for in the end. Obviously in the case of Rossi, that horrible injury he suffered is a big reason as to why he didn't go for the fee his talent showed off at Villarreal in those couple of early seasons with them. In Falcao's case, he went for more due to the fact Atleti couldn't offer Champions League football... like us.

Falcao (Porto) @ 25M
    Sow (Lille) @ 10-15M
    Rossi (Villarreal) @ 15-20M
    Remy (Marseille) @ 15M
    Damiao (Internacional) @ 15M
    Cavani (Napoli) @ 30M
    Gameiro (Lorient) @ 10M
    Osvaldo (Espanyol) @ 10-15M
    Llorente (Bilbao) @ 20-30M
    Lukaku (Anderlecht) @ 20M
    Barrios (Dortmund) @ 20M

There were other players like Kun and Pato available but they were very much unrealistic I think we can agree on.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Sounds like transferitis to me

As they say in Belgium.

Anyone looking for Celtic tickets???????

Liverpool have released the following ticket update for their pre-season match against Celtic in Dublin, at the Aviva Stadium on Saturday, August 10 with kick-off at 5pm BST.

We have received a small number of returned tickets for Saturday's match against Celtic which will be available for general sale from 11am on Wednesday, August 7.

Supporters can purchase up to a maximum of four tickets. Tickets will also be available to season ticket holders and official members (2013-14 and 2012-13) who have not yet previously purchased tickets.

Due to the short timescale, tickets will be available at the ticket office, Anfield ONLY.

Tickets are subject to availability for as long as supplies last.

Tickets are non-transferrable and must not be passed on to anyone else. Therefore, the name and address of each supporter using each ticket must be supplied when making your application.

Please ensure you have these details to hand before making your booking.

Seems to be a lot of Twitter rumblings that Cissokho is on his way to Liverpool. I'm not sure about him, seems to have lost his way a bit. He was very good for Lyon a few years back mind. Certainly he makes more sense than the part-time Paraguayan left back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

gafferino wrote: »
    Anyone looking for Celtic tickets???????

Due to the short timescale, tickets will be available at the ticket office, Anfield ONLY.

Tickets are subject to availability for as long as supplies last.

Tickets are non-transferrable and must not be passed on to anyone else. Therefore, the name and address of each supporter using each ticket must be supplied when making your application.

Please ensure you have these details to hand before making your booking.

Anfield ONLY? :confused:

To be fair, he'd probably only be hounded by some LFC 'fans' on twitter, the type every club has who issues death threats and other such horrible things. The media will focus on it for a while but then concentrate on the same scrutinising of his on pitch behaviour, probably no worse than when he was at Liverpool. I have no doubt there will be stories about the big bad Liverpool fans threatening him if he does go to them, when other clubs have the same type of idiot fans who do crap like that.

I can't see Costa (or similar priced signing) being brought in either unless he left or was going to, although if Downing and Borini were sold there would be room in the squad even with Suarez, plus the money to bring him on too.

On the injury front, while I'm as sceptical as the next person on convenient injuries, apparently he was involved in a challenge with Kelly in training yesterday that he stayed down from, and told Rodgers he didn't feel right after it, so it is plausible that he has a knock anyhow, but we'll see I guess.

Sure, if Downing and Borini both left then yea, money wise it would make sense. I just dont think we need the money, we didnt need to sell them to get Mkhitaryan in it would seem. It just seems logical that Suarez would go if Costa became a priority imo. The supposed injury is not even in my thinking on the whole thing.

sweetie wrote: »
    Anfield ONLY? :confused:

oh sh*t sorry didnt notice that. Bummer.

Seems to be a lot of Twitter rumblings that Cissokho is on his way to Liverpool. I'm not sure about him, seems to have lost his way a bit. He was very good for Lyon a few years back mind. Certainly he makes more sense than the part-time Paraguayan left back.

Its been going on for weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Balls. Had me hopes up there :/

Brendan Rodgers has named a 21-man squad to face Valerenga in Norway on Wednesday.

Daniel Agger, Martin Skrtel and Glen Johnson will not travel as a precaution after picking up knocks. Luis Suarez will also remain on Merseyside as a precaution following an injury in training yesterday. He will undergo a scan on his foot later today.

The squad in full is: Jones, Enrique, Toure, Alberto, Gerrard, Aspas, Coutinho, Assaidi, Henderson, Coates, Downing, Spearing, Lucas, Mignolet, Allen, Borini, Sterling, Kelly, Flanagan, Ibe, Wisdom.

When you look at it it's not the strongest squad when you take out the injured guys

• Advertisement

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I'd like you to cite examples of this, because I've not heard a single soul whether it be in IRL or on this thread say it was entirely Kenny's fault. Ta.

I expected £10M at a push.. and a big push at that to be quite honest. I think I'm quoted as saying I'd have taken £8M and run!

I never said clubs would forget about the £50M.

No club other than a Monaco, City, Chelsea, Real or PSG (I don't think United, Bayern or Barca have spent massive in January in the past AFAIR) will be spending big amounts on an individual player in January.

Clubs where you'd like to buy players from are usually more apprehensive about letting their most wanted players go in January. The same could be said of some players as well.

Just having a glance at the summer of 2011, the following were reportedly available. I used a few different sources and some of the fees ARE educated guesses before going for what they did, some higher and some lower admittedly but not terribly far off what they actually went for in the end. Obviously in the case of Rossi, that horrible injury he suffered is a big reason as to why he didn't go for the fee his talent showed off at Villarreal in those couple of early seasons with them. In Falcao's case, he went for more due to the fact Atleti couldn't offer Champions League football... like us.

Falcao (Porto) @ 25M
    Sow (Lille) @ 10-15M
    Rossi (Villarreal) @ 15-20M
    Remy (Marseille) @ 15M
    Damiao (Internacional) @ 15M
    Cavani (Napoli) @ 30M
    Gameiro (Lorient) @ 10M
    Osvaldo (Espanyol) @ 10-15M
    Llorente (Bilbao) @ 20-30M
    Lukaku (Anderlecht) @ 20M
    Barrios (Dortmund) @ 20M

There were other players like Kun and Pato available but they were very much unrealistic I think we can agree on.

I dont think we were in the market for more strikers after spending 50m on them 6 months previous. Didnt Atleti just put every penny form Aguero money into Falcao?. Anyway, im sure there were plenty of names around in the other positions we could have gone for, hindsight is great though, i have seen plenty of names put up in here as player we should go for in the past who turned out to be poor signings for those teams who ended up signing them.

Its been going on for weeks.

Oh I know but it seemed as though we had moved on to other targets but now it seems we are back in for him again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Has Suarez started a single pre-season game?

BQ_rmY7CcAAtuLl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Caminero: "Diego Costa is a leader and will continue in the club"

People wonder if Diego Costa will team? .. .. Diego Costa is a very important player for Atletico, we appreciate you and we are confident that this year will score many more goals with Atletico. It is an important reference for the fans. But not told me whether to continue ... Yes, will continue

http://futbol.as.com/futbol/2013/08/06/primera/1375752232_251381.html

In case anyone is wondering, Caminero is the Sporting Director of Atletico Madrid.

• Advertisement

In case anyone is wondering, Caminero is the Sporting Director of Atletico Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Doesn't matter what he says, we have offered the reported buyout clause, its up to Costa. And if we are reportedly able to triple his wages I can't see him hanging around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Doesn't matter what he says, we have offered the reported buyout clause, its up to Costa.

The irony of this sentence coming from a Liverpool fan is kind of funny.

You could replace the name "Costa" with "Suarez" and have exactly what an Arsenal fan would be saying right now. :P

Doesn't matter what he says, we have offered the reported buyout clause, its up to Costa. And if we are reportedly able to triple his wages I can't see him hanging around.

I seem to remember it being discussed before, and that in Spain buyout clauses are only legally binding with other Spanish teams, and that it doesn't mean they have to sell, even if the same price is offered. On Soldado to Spurs, I don't think it was the buyout clause being met that triggered the sale, just a specific valuation the club wanted.

Kirby wrote: »

You could replace the name "Costa" with "Suarez" and have exactly what an Arsenal fan would be saying right now. :P

Obviously the big difference is A.madrid don't play in the EPL..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

rarnes1 wrote: »

Or will they triple his wages

Depends on what the clause actually says. Some are straightforward "stump up and his yours" others have additional criteria.

All the noises from Atletico are to be expected, apparently he's a popular player with Atletico fans so the club must be seen to be doing their best to hold onto him.

It'd be unusual for Liverpool to announce a bid for the player unless they were given encouragment from his representatives.

All sounds familiar.

amber69 wrote: »

If Arsenal were in La Liga you think there'd be a problem with the fee they are offering?

Digger 'n Trigger are on Today FM after 6.30

www.todayfm.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

If Arsenal were in La Liga you think there'd be a problem with the fee they are offering?

No I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Kirby wrote: »

amber69 wrote: »

But otherwise, its the exact same thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

When i factor in that Suarez and Gerrard were available for an extra 26/7 league games between them last season to what Kenny had, i again struggle to see where the real progress is. If we lost both for that amount of time this coming season i dont think we would do any better than the season we had under Kenny.

I've never seen anyone who defends the "progress" we made last season come up with a decent argument why the menial difference in points between the two seasons isn't easily explained away by this.

I've never seen anyone who defends the "progress" we made last season come up with a decent argument why the menial difference in points between the two seasons isn't easily explained away by this.

The big difference, which is very obvious to most people is that Dalglish started really well and the team get steadily worse. The end of 2011/2012 saw us win very few games.

Rodgers started with that confidence drained Liverpool squad and they got better and better as the season continued. The end of last season we lost very few games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

The big difference, which is very obvious to most people is that Dalglish started really well and the team get steadily worse. The end of 2011/2012 saw us win very few games.

Rodgers started with that confidence drained Liverpool squad and they got better and better as the season continued. The end of last season we lost very few games.

I wouldnt bother with him at this stage. He wont be happy until Rodgers is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

The moleman on twitter reckons Skrtel is off to Zenit permanently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Slimity wrote: »
    The moleman on twitter reckons Skrtel is off to Zenit permanently.

Linx or Gtfo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Pepe...
    Pepe Reina ‏@PReina25 3m
    BRARIzyCUAAGw1o.jpg:large

Pepe Reina ‏@PReina25 4m
    Time is up!!great memories during 8 years collected little by little!!looking forward to a great year in Napoli!!Thanks everybody!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

• Advertisement

The best of the defence when it was brought up in the past included tangental points, "we have a better medical team now" and "Kenny subbed Suarez a few times".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement