Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Autoservice in Blanchardstown

Options
  • 25-07-2013 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Couple questions for you about the auto-service companies in Blanchardstown... want to avoid getting ripped off like I was in Mulhuddart a few months back (€30 for a check engine light read and reset).

First of all, which, if any garages will check your engine light code for free or close to free? The light came on tonight during the heavy rain and I just want to make sure everything is doing fine.

Secondly, where would you recommend in the area for a full service? NCT is up in a couple of months now so I might aswell get a service and a full check done now and have it mostly ready. Looking for both reliable and cheap enough.

Thanks in advance for any help folks,

brainiac.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

brainiac wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Couple questions for you about the auto-service companies in Blanchardstown... want to avoid getting ripped off like I was in Mulhuddart a few months back (€30 for a check engine light read and reset).

First of all, which, if any garages will check your engine light code for free or close to free? The light came on tonight during the heavy rain and I just want to make sure everything is doing fine.

Secondly, where would you recommend in the area for a full service? NCT is up in a couple of months now so I might aswell get a service and a full check done now and have it mostly ready. Looking for both reliable and cheap enough.

Thanks in advance for any help folks,

brainiac.
    €30 is a fair price for a diagnostic and light off. A main dealer will charge you more than that for sure. Depending on the fault, it could well be back on in an hour or so eitherway. What did they tell you was the cause?

You want it reset for free? Good luck with that:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

dodzy wrote: »
    €30 is a fair price for a diagnostic and light off. A main dealer will charge you more than that for sure. Depending on the fault, it could well be back on in an hour or so eitherway. What did they tell you was the cause?

+1, EUR30 is a reasonable price to pay. You're asking for the garage to provide a service to you for free, which won't happen - they're a business.

Either way - am using Coolmine Motors in by Power City for a good bit of work lately, they're been very good to date.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh Skoda/VW will charge you €80 for that....€30 is an excellent price

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Did you ask how much before the work was done or did they tell you?
    There are any amount of places in and around Dublin 15 , five minutes spent on here or the phone to tell people the problem and get ruff prices and go somewhere in the middle/a place with a lot of recommendations.

Id add my recommendation for discount tyre, I had it in for a service, they rang me about extra work that had to be done with a price before going ahead with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

dodzy wrote: »

Last time it was the "Catalyst System efficiency below threshold error" and they just told me right out, without even taking a look at the part that it would need a brand new catalytic converter, the light never came back for the last 3-4 months so I'm fairly convinced it was one of the much more minor causes of this code that could be it. Either way, paying 30E and not even getting a check seemed like a rip off.

Second, I've read in a lot of places that some garages will do engine diagnostic for free since its as simple as attached a computer and pushing a button. I don't mind paying though obviously if all the dealers and garages around this area charge, I'm just looking for opinions on the ones who give you the best diagnostic for your money and have reasonable repair costs to boot (in general of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

If your car is OBDII compliant and you have an iPhone/iPad/Android device, you can pick up an adaptor which will allow you to view and clear codes on your car.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

Advertisement