Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

getting the most from my headphones

• 25-07-2013 3:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

A while ago now I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 25 ii. Great little pair of headphones.. Now I usually use them while travelling on the bus using my iPhone

I was wondering would they benefit from a portable DAC Amp?

And if so what would you recommend.. my budget is dependent on the improvement i would get..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Which iPhone?

What would you feel comfortable spending is the real question? Amping wise there is a lot be had in many price ranges, as for AMP/DAC combos, you're looking at prices close to the iPhone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

marko93 wrote: »
    Which iPhone?

What would you feel comfortable spending is the real question? Amping wise there is a lot be had in many price ranges, as for AMP/DAC combos, you're looking at prices close to the iPhone!

I have an iPhone 4 currently but prob be changing to a nexus 5 or Motorola X later this year..

well as I said depending on the amount of improvident i'd get in relation to price i'd prob spend round €100 - €150 if it meant i'd get a good enough improvident..

I'm Currently in the process of converting all my music to FLAC. Where now i use MP3 various bit rates but some as low as 112 kbps (I was very short on space when I originally ripped these) but now that all my music will be either FLAC or failing that 320Kbps I may notice more of a difference than poorly encoded songs

I'm a little confused on the need for a DAC..would you get improvment over the one in the iPhone using a 3rd party one.

I was looking at the tiio e17 as a possible solution but was reading that you can't pass the iphone DAC.. I am jailbroken however and i think i read that there is a work around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

U_Fig wrote: »
    I have an iPhone 4 currently but prob be changing to a nexus 5 or Motorola X later this year..

well as I said depending on the amount of improvident i'd get in relation to price i'd prob spend round €100 - €150 if it meant i'd get a good enough improvident..

I'm Currently in the process of converting all my music to FLAC. Where now i use MP3 various bit rates but some as low as 112 kbps (I was very short on space when I originally ripped these) but now that all my music will be either FLAC or failing that 320Kbps I may notice more of a difference than poorly encoded songs

I'm a little confused on the need for a DAC..would you get improvment over the one in the iPhone using a 3rd party one.

I was looking at the tiio e17 as a possible solution but was reading that you can't pass the iphone DAC.. I am jailbroken however and i think i read that there is a work around

I don't think you'd actually need a DAC. They sound quite good off the iPhone 4 itself. I have the C&C BH myself and it is a beautiful little amp, would have no problems in suggesting it. E17 is a good choice, DAC part can be used with the computer. Then there is the FiiO E12, their latest amp and supposedly a very good amp. Then there's size and form factor to take into account! :P

I posted this thread a while back and since I've gone ahead to purchase the nexus 5. Since I've moved my music collection over to it and noticed that the audio quality is quite poor compared to that using the iPhone 4. It's flat and even altering the eq still doesn't add much. Also even at full volume the headphones I use HD25 do not sound loud enough for me so this now is a major reason to amp it. So since posting this has anything changed in relation to what amp to buy or are the ones above still the best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

The DAC in the iPhone 4 was a pretty good one, I've found some Android device to have shockingly bad ones, especially the Nexus 7 2012.
    Fiio have come out with a solution and have an Amp/DAC combo now called the E18 http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GC0XDSI but it looks like you might need to install a custom firmware to get it working.

• Advertisement

PPC wrote: »
    The DAC in the iPhone 4 was a pretty good one, I've found some Android device to have shockingly bad ones, especially the Nexus 7 2012.
    Fiio have come out with a solution and have an Amp/DAC combo now called the E18 http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GC0XDSI but it looks like you might need to install a custom firmware to get it working.

Ya I havn't rooted the nexus 5 yet but have unlocked the boot loader so I'm 1/3 of the way there I heard that cyogenmod supports otg usb that works with DAC so I'll prob do that.. Thanks I'll check out that one now.. And I couldnt believe the difference between the sound coming from the iPhone 4 and the nexus 5.

Advertisement