Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top Ten Roads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,394 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

St Bernard pass - yes
    Col de Turini - yes

The Route Napoleon is excellent, about 300km long and almost all of it is great biking road.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Route_Napoléon

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

ninja900 wrote: »
    St Bernard pass - yes
    Col de Turini - yes

The Route Napoleon is excellent, about 300km long and almost all of it is great biking road.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Route_Napoléon

You lucky ****er....ST Bernard pass looks like heaven for a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭BKtje

Wow thanks. Might take a day or two next week to do the Swiss ones. The ones in Italy and France might need to be done as well since they ain't that far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

PICTURES or it DID NOT HAPPEN BK....lol.

Get it on cam m8 and post it up.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I've done the Florida keys, Sedona and Great Ocean Road in a car. Been on some great roads in Norway too, but none of the ones mentioned there.

I can't imagine the American ones being great for a bike, rather straight roads. The Great ocean Road would be a sweet on a bike though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

Im just back from 8 week euro touring & my favouite pass was the Stelvio by far, top gear are full of BS but they were right about this one,

also extremely memorable were

Cole de Turine
    Picos de europe ( Best ' fast' canyon roads i saw anywhere)
    Furka Pass
    Cole de L'seran
    Grand St Bernard
    Petit St bernard pass

I also cycled down the Death Road Bolivia
    & took the Los Caracoles Pass – Andes on a bus, (amazing pass)

will upload photos later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭BKtje

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    PICTURES or it DID NOT HAPPEN BK....lol.

Get it on cam m8 and post it up.

;)
    Ha. Don't have one and am a bit strapped for cash till the new year so will just have to take a few pics with the ol camera phone as proof.

Just looking here on google maps at the two swiss roads in the above list. They aren't all that far apart really so should probably do both on the same day. That said it's a 4 hour trip from where I am now (taking a slightly longer road which goes over a different mountain road which I already did and loved) to Andermatt and the start of the Oberalp Pass. Then another hour give or take to do the Oberalp Pass and drive to San Bernardino for a total of 5 hours drive time. Even if I take the motorway part of the way back we are looking at the guts of 10 hours in the saddle which on my ninja 300 will mean I have no ass left. Round trip of 660km. Bit much for one day I guess.

If I skip the road I love then it's doable in eight hours + photo's + food (probably a bit less since I go ever so slightly faster than the posted speeds). Four hours, stop for lunch then another four hours.
    Could always do an overnighter but in that case I'd have to postpone till next Spring (or maybe september). Decisions decisions. ARGH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

If you go to andermatt it's surrounded by psses
    in ever direction, you can go up and down them all in a day or two, don't worry about getting all the big name ones Done , there all stunning

Advertisement