Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st time

• 25-07-2013 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭

How's it going,

Getting my 1st tattoo on my bicep there in 3 weeks time, one worry I have is twitching with the pain when she starts or hits a nerve, if that was to happen would it ruin the tattoo? Also, is there any way to make sure you don't move?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

No way to make sure you don't move, just don't move...

I twitched a lot on my last tattoo, it's on my calf, but my tattoo artist was very patient and done an excellent job of the tattoo even with my twitching! He did tell me I was the worst person he ever tattooed though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

I have a fairly decent pain tolerance so I can't see it being a major problem but the worry is if I do twitch and it ruins the tattoo im stuck with it for life.. So you're saying that if my artist is good, which from what I've seen and heard she is, it should be ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yep pretty much, as long as you're not jumping around the place every two seconds it'll be gine.

January wrote: »
    Yep pretty much, as long as you're not jumping around the place every two seconds it'll be gine.

Grand job cant see that being the case.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Iano_128 wrote: »
    I have a fairly decent pain tolerance so I can't see it being a major problem but the worry is if I do twitch and it ruins the tattoo im stuck with it for life.. So you're saying that if my artist is good, which from what I've seen and heard she is, it should be ok?

Of course a good tattoo artist will try their best, but it doesn't guarantee that a tattoo will turn out well if you're twitching like mad. If you twitch, the needle could skip a little, or dig in deeper, leaving either a thinner line or a blotch which the artist then has to fix (but in saying that, they should be used to this and should be able to deal with it). It also depends on the part of the body that's getting tattooed. I think thinner skinned areas like the ribs would be worse for this, your bicep may not be so difficult to tattoo.

I guess the most helpful thing will be to try and keep calm. Take lots of deep breaths and try to relax. There is some twitching that you just can't help (like if the needle gets nearer to a nerve which triggers a reaction then) but if you're worked up and getting nervous, this won't help matters at all. If you are getting too twitchy and the artist is having trouble, they'll (hopefully) let you know, talk to you, calm you a little and then try again.

Other things that will help are a good feed before getting tattooed, not being hungover and not having 40 cups of tea before heading in :) Most of the time, it's not an issue so don't worry too much about it.

• Advertisement

thanks Jenizzle :) Yeah i'm obviously nervous about getting it done being my first one and everything but I don't think i'm any more nervous about it than the average person does be!

Definitely will be eating loads before I go in and she told me to bring some sugary drinks and some food with me too because it's going to be around 3.5 hours each session..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I'm sure you'll be fine so. It sounds like you're well prepared and your artist is communicating with you so don't worry :) Post up some pics when yer all done :D

Here's what I'm going for, she's drawn this for me so if it looks this good i'll be over the moon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

It's never as bad as you think, they usually only tattoo for twenty seconds or so at a time anyway. It's not that the needle hits your skin for four hours start to finish

Advertisement