Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap one way flights?

Options
  • 25-07-2013 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭

Hello, anyone have any experience with one way flights back home. Perth to Dublin/Cork. I have tried the usual sites and the cheapest im getting is around $1800 can that be right? It only cost me about E600 to come here:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

It's always cheaper to fly from a country in recession to a country not in recession. $1,800 sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Plug wrote: »
    Hello, anyone have any experience with one way flights back home. Perth to Dublin/Cork. I have tried the usual sites and the cheapest im getting is around $1800 can that be right? It only cost me about E600 to come here:confused:

What dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Try air asia to kuala lumpar, then malaysian airlines to dub/cork. a friend got it this way for $1100 recently

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Paid $1200 for mine in January, Perth to Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

What site did ye use lads, they sound fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Any dates, ASAP. Cheers.

Perth to Kuala Lumpur with Air Asia for $199 on 31st July
    www.airasia.com
    Kuala Lumpur to London on 1st August for €255 with Saudi ($367)
    http://fw.to/QA0CsiG
    Ryanair home.
    €50 for my fee too

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

Wow. U should be charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TheLongRun

www.airasia.com
    Ryanair home.
    €50 for my fee too

That's how I got home on short notice last month. Definitely the cheapest way; it worked out at about $700 booked a week before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭eagerv

It can be done very cheap with the low cost airlines.But I dont think Air Asia come to Europe any more unfortunately.

Was talking to a fella on the train less than two years ago in Kuala Lumpur who claimed his total flight cost from Brisbane to London was under $250.

Flights though are not connected so any delays or cancellations can become expensive..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

www.airasia.com
    Ryanair home.
    €50 for my fee too

Wow, that is really cheap! Is it pretty much hassle free? I booked my flights to day (to Australia) and it worked out around €600

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Alanhooly wrote: »
    Is it pretty much hassle free?

Air Asia doesn't include bags so that would be an additional $80ish depending on weight.

Then AAX land at the LCC airport in KL whereas Saudi fly from the full service carrier airport. They are about an hour or two apart depending on traffic and transfers not included so time, cost plus visa issues (because you will need to go airside) all need to be taken into account.

Then the same issues in London. Which UK airport? Ryanair luggage fees? Transfer times. Giving yourself leeway for delays, cancellations etc

If it all runs smooth you could save yourself maybe $600 but if one of your dominoes tumbles, could end up costing you more than the original $1600.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭iuil1999

Google Jetabroad...They're good for flights. It's an australian website. Got return flights a few years ago for approx €750!

Batgurl wrote: »
    Air Asia doesn't include bags so that would be an additional $80ish depending on weight.

Then AAX land at the LCC airport in KL whereas Saudi fly from the full service carrier airport. They are about an hour or two apart depending on traffic and transfers not included so time, cost plus visa issues (because you will need to go airside) all need to be taken into account.

Then the same issues in London. Which UK airport? Ryanair luggage fees? Transfer times. Giving yourself leeway for delays, cancellations etc

If it all runs smooth you could save yourself maybe $600 but if one of your dominoes tumbles, could end up costing you more than the original $1600.

A 20kg bag with Airasia is actually only $27AUD

KLIA and LCCT are actually the same airport but 20km apart so a 20 minute journey but thats why you can stay overnight at LCCT, to take account of delays, complete the transfer and be fairly tired so that you sleep on the flight. LCCT is an ok airport, seen worse. Stayed overnight there 3 or 4 times without issue.

KLIA is a great hub for travelling thoughout Asia so you wont have any issues there. I have 15 stamps there and haven't even had a bag checked.

Heathrow to Dublin is only €100 for a flight in 48 hours, €130 for cork. could be cheaper to National Express it to another airport but not worth the hassle after previous flights

Flights get delayed, sure but you'd be an idiot to not book any time inbetween them and an even bigger one to travel without insurance.

So Perth to Cork including all bags and transfers - $850AUD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

A 20kg bag with Airasia is actually only $27AUD

KLIA and LCCT are actually the same airport but 20km apart so a 20 minute journey but thats why you can stay overnight at LCCT, to take account of delays, complete the transfer and be fairly tired so that you sleep on the flight. LCCT is an ok airport, seen worse. Stayed overnight there 3 or 4 times without issue.

KLIA is a great hub for travelling thoughout Asia so you wont have any issues there. I have 15 stamps there and haven't even had a bag checked.

Heathrow to Dublin is only €100 for a flight in 48 hours, €130 for cork. could be cheaper to National Express it to another airport but not worth the hassle after previous flights

Flights get delayed, sure but you'd be an idiot to not book any time inbetween them and an even bigger one to travel without insurance.

So Perth to Cork including all bags and transfers - $850AUD

Nice!

Has anyone ever booked with e-bookers before? I booked my one way flight to Australia with them for €600. It doesn't however include baggage fee's. Has anyone else ever used them and, if so, how many bags were you allowed and how much extra cost did you incur?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

i used them in april, flew dublin to amsterdam with aer lingus and malaysia airlines to kuala kumpa and on to sydney didnt pay any fees, same on the way back.

minzabud wrote: »
    i used them in april, flew dublin to amsterdam with aer lingus and malaysia airlines to kuala kumpa and on to sydney didnt pay any fees, same on the way back.

That is the exact route i'm taking. Are your bags checked in all the way to Sydney or do you have to check them in in each airport?

How many bags did you take and approximately what weight?

Thanks for the reply, this is all pretty new to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

When i checked in at Dublin airport i told them to send my main bag to Sydney and didnt see it until i got there so just say it on check in, aer lingus is 23kg and 10kg hand luggage but malaysia is 30kg and 7kg hand luggage but as i checked the bag in first in Dublin anything over 23kg would be charged extra as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LTM

I went this way a few weeks ago and aer lingus qent by malaysia airlines 30kg limit. My bag waa 27kg and I had no problem.

• Advertisement

LTM wrote: »
    I went this way a few weeks ago and aer lingus qent by malaysia airlines 30kg limit. My bag waa 27kg and I had no problem.

Did your bags go straight to Sydney from Dublin? Did you have to pay any baggage fee's along the way?

On e-bookers it says that this does not include baggage fee's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LTM

Yes bags went straight through and paid nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

If you're not in a mad rush home, make your way to Bangkok via Air Asia (with change over in KL), and fly from there with Norwegian to Stockholm for €199... Amazing price, and you don't need to change airports to hop on an Aer Lingus flight for about €90 or so to Dublin.

Without any baggage, I paid $299 from Sydney to KL, week in Malaysia, $70 onwards to Bangkok, then $280 to Stockholm. So Sydney to Stockholm for $650, doubt it's possible to get to Europe for cheaper.

Advertisement