Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent tsb email - wtf?

Options
  • 25-07-2013 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭

checked my other email that I hardly ever use, got an email from Permanent tsb 8 days ago ...

"We are writing to let you know that our monitoring process has temporarily suspended your access to Open24.

This has been done due to the number of incorrect login attempts.
    Therefore, you required to follow a security procedure in order to regain access to online service." - dunno what this is about, I have nothing to do with permanent tsb...

then I recieved this email today and yesterday...

"YOUR ACCOUNT HAS BEEN LOCKED FOR SECURITY REASONS.

The restore form is attached to this email. Please download the attachment, open it and follow the instructions on your screen.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused
    Please don't reply directly to this automatically-generated e-mail message."

These emails were sent to my junk. Is this some kind of spam/scam?? I have no idea what they are about, as I said I dont have an account or anything to do with per tsb. Kinda freaked out :/ someone tryna hack my computer as well :(:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

If you don't have an account with them, it's spam. It's not sent by Permanent TSB, it's a scammer chancing his arm. Delete it.

I get lots of them :( Don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

checked my other email that I hardly ever use, got an email from Permanent tsb 8 days ago ...

"We are writing to let you know that our monitoring process has temporarily suspended your access to Open24.

Therefore, you required to follow a security procedure in order to regain access to online service." - dunno what this is about, I have nothing to do with permanent tsb...

The restore form is attached to this email. Please download the attachment, open it and follow the instructions on your screen.

These emails were sent to my junk. Is this some kind of spam/scam?? I have no idea what they are about, as I said I dont have an account or anything to do with per tsb. Kinda freaked out :/ someone tryna hack my computer as well :(:confused:

Permanent tsb do not contact you by e-mail even if you did have account. It phishing mail more than likely. Delete it don't open any attachments. You could also noticed Permanent tsb through there web site that you received this mail...

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

It sounds like a scam for sure. You dont have a PTSB account, so dont worry. It would be interesting to se whats on the form, but I would not recommend opening the attachment/saving it to your computer.

What email service do you use? (gmail, hotmail etc, or is it a POP email system like outlook etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Update your anti virus and spyware .... Mustn't be up to date or you would get a warning of these type of emails ... Be prepared for financial loss if you do allow a virus onto your os

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

thanks for all the replys, no didnt open any attachment or saved anything..read over it a few things again, doesnt come across as very professional..looks fishy alrite. The fecker.

BGozIe - I use hotmail

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's definitely a scam. There was another thread on here about it a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

Update your anti virus and spyware .... Mustn't be up to date or you would get a warning of these type of emails ... Be prepared for financial loss if you do allow a virus onto your os

The OP's local anti-virus and spyware has absolutely no barring on this as this is an IMAP email account, i.e hosted on the email providers servers.
    Unless of course the OP decided to download/save that attachment.
    thanks for all the replys, no didnt open any attachment or saved anything..read over it a few things again, doesnt come across as very professional..looks fishy alrite. The fecker.

BGozIe - I use hotmail

Hotmail is fairly terrible at blocking out junk/spam/scam emails. Generally gmail is much better. I use both as I couldn't get my name on gmail :p...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭elleelle19

I got 3 emails from "PTSB" saying my account was lock due to suspicious activity with a form to fill out, obviously I didn't open them and just deleted.

Is there a way to report this to PTSB so they can warn their customers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I have an ac with them, and I got a load of these emails a while ago. Best to ignore.

Called them but they didnt seem interested in taking a log of it, just said to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

elleelle19 wrote: »
    I got 3 emails from "PTSB" saying my account was lock due to suspicious activity with a form to fill out, obviously I didn't open them and just deleted.

Is there a way to report this to PTSB so they can warn their customers?

I got one of those emails a few weeks ago and contacted them through Twitter and they said just forward any more emails to info@permanenttsb.ie so they can keep an eye on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

If you are logging onto OPEN24, there is a big block, warning you of this.
    Something on the lines of....

PROTECT YOURSELF FROM PHISHING AND ITENTITY THEFT
    PTSB WILL NEVER EMAIL OR TEXT YOU :
    ASKING FOR YOUR LOG ON DETAILS
    ASKING FOR PASSWORD OR PERSONAL DETAILS
    ASKING YOU TO LOG ON TO OUR SITE

IF YOU GET AN EMAIL OR TEXT OR POP-UP ASKING FOR ANY OF THE ABOVE, PLEASE CONTACT US
    IMMEDIATELY ON 1890 500121.

rgs,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Had 3 of them this morning in my spam folder, in all honestly if you are dumb enough to fall for a scam like this, you deserve to lose your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

http://www.thejournal.ie/phishing-ptsb-ireland-1009401-Jul2013/

A PHISHING SCAM, whereby email-users are sent bogus messages purporting to be from Permanent TSB, appears to be on the increase.

A spokesperson for the bank said they had been hearing reports of a rise in similar con-efforts in Ireland in recent weeks, and that branding from various financial institutions was being used to try and fool customers into handing over personal details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

or you could do what the head of IT in one of the U.S agencies did when he had malware.... destroy your computer...or for him 26 million worth:) it was the wrong solution!

Advertisement