Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing days while doing a Grad Dip/Masters?

Options
  • 25-07-2013 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

About to start a Grad Dip in September, but will be missing for a few days in September, and a few in November.

Last time I did a Grad Dip, WAY BACK, I never missed a day, and I remember attendance was required most of the time for tutorials etc.

However, I don't know what the procedure is? Is it a case of notifying the course director in advance? I'm jumping the gun a bit in July, but just want to have my ducks in a row when it comes to starting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

It's entirely down to the lecturer whether they care about missed days or not. My opinion is that university students are adults and can make the decision for themselves. If they choose not to show up to lectures and do poorly in the exams, that's their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Contact the course director before you start as a friendly heads-up, and have a chat with your lecturers when you get in during the first week. Hopefully you won't have any issues with it, or the minimum of course credits to lose. Chatting beforehand will maximise your chances of minimising the effect on your coursework/grades.

As Chimaera said, it's up to you as an adult and no lecturer will hound you for attendance, but a friendly conversation beforehand will let you know exactly where you stand. Usually the lecturers won't be bad about it, but make sure you have chatted with the course director beforehand as they will probably let you know which lecturers may be difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

True enough. It'll only be 2 days in Sept, and 2 in November, both Fridays and Mondays....

Advertisement