Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go now ..advice!

Options
  • 25-07-2013 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am going unreg for this and thanks for reading as I know it's a long one! I am looking for some career advice or some thoughts from others who may or was in this situation. I graduated a few years ago with a degree in IT received amongst the top marks in my class. I then went on to take on a few roles some contracting in various IT industries and one permanent with a financial company. I was content in my role with the financial company but always had an ambition to complete a research masters so when the offer arose I took it with both hands whilst receiving a career break from the company I was working with. Anyway with the recession things went belly up my career break terms were revoked and I plodded along finishing my masters degree.

Since completion I have not for the want of trying been able to secure fulltime employment. I have completed courses both online and FAS, did some freelancing, used my small savings and borrowed some money to move to Dublin to complete a job bridge where unfortunately no permanent role was available, I network with people, use LinkedIN, have visited career advisors to advice on interview skills, cv and cover letters and also volunteered on numerous occasions where my skills can be used. I apply daily online and search for prospective companies and recruitment sites. I was advised by one particular career advisor to target specific jobs in my postgrad but jobs in this sector would not be in abundance, so end up applying for all types of entry level roles or anything that is some way suitable whilst always customising my CVS and cover letters. I have gone through bouts where I may hear nothing or receive no response to applications. In the interviews I have received feedback such as too academic (probably because of research masters), not enough experience, or too much experience this is entry level role.

What is also getting me down is that in the last few interviews, two of which I had to travel to opposite ends of the country, one guy was already doing the role and in the other. the intern went into the role which I have a feeling was already arranged. More recently I got some more savings together and went to the UK whilst there I was contacted by an Irish company that I had applied to months previously I informed them I was in the UK jobseeking but still interested in hearing about the role. From there I completed a 30min telephone interview, which seemed to go well was contacted again and invited to the UK office for another interview where I was invited almost immediately back to Dublin for another interview for the role, because things seemed to go well. As it was the most positive thing to have happened to me in a long time I was lucky enough to be able to borrow the bones of 400 for booking last minute flight and fare etc to Dublin and home. That interview seemed to go well also I was told the job could be an immediate start but of course was left hanging over a week as manager was gone away only of course to find out again I was unsuccessful I again asked for feedback and was given what I feel was a feeble excuse considering the effort I went to for the interview showed my determination for the role. I know I am feeling sorry for myself today and a bit silly for racing back on what I probably knew would be a pipe dream. I just can’t understand why recruiters put people through this expense and effort just not to select the candidate. Also I’m not sure what to do now should I go back to UK or go further afield? Do a course in something that could upskill me again or have I spent too long studying (7 years total in college) I’m not even sure what other course to do, other option change career path completely but I cannot financially put myself through another 4 years to be told again no experience! I just wish some company would take a chance on me or to get my foot in the door someplace to allow me prove my abilities.

Advertisement