Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What fees involved when being given a house

• 25-07-2013 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me if you were to be given a house, basically an uncle to a nephew, would there be any taxes involved with the change of ownership? or would it just be the legal fees? The Uncle is still alive and the house in question is just lying idle so instead of willing it to him when he dies he would just pass the house onto him now if that makes sense?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

canhefixit wrote: »
    Can ..

No expert but I imagine there would be capital gains there.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

That gives me something to look into thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Buy it for a euro.

Isn't that how Quinn got away with giving things away before he crashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

If you're not already living in the house, then it looks like you'll have to pay over 30% in tax on the value over €30,150 (as he's your uncle).
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cat/thresholds.html

If you've been living in the house permanently for a few years, it might be exempt:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cat/leaflets/cat10.html

Both of you should talk to an accountant before doing anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

There would be capital acquisitions tax payable based on the arms length value of the transaction. However there are allowable limits that you can receive from relatives and others, the limit depends on your relationship to the doner.

The largest allowable limit would be from your parents, which would really be the only limit that would equate to the value of a house. However there is the concept of a favourite niece or nephew which would bring the limits up to the same as a parent child relationship. See all the details at:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cat/guide/reliefs.html#section3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

Actually just noticed the favourite nephew clause only applies to business assets and you have to work for them for a period...

The nephew is living in the house this 6 or 7 years, thanks for all the links folks gives me some good info on there.

I suppose the ideal situation is he can have the house transfered all for legal costs, even if there a few pound maybe inheritance tax that wouldnt be so bad but if its 30 odd % of the value and legal costs on top I imagine it could get messy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    No expert but I imagine there would be capital gains there.
    It would be the similar Capital Acquisitions Tax.

Victor wrote: »
    It would be the similar Capital Acquisitions Tax.

Who would be the best person to approach in relation to this? A solicitor or an accountant maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Start with an accountant, though you will need a solicitor as well once you start the transfer process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

canhefixit wrote: »
    Who would be the best person to approach in relation to this? A solicitor or an accountant maybe?

Normally, when it comes to tax issues, accountants and tax consultants are the right people to approach. This is not usually the case when it comes to CAT.

A good solicitor will know more about CAT than most other professionals.

Advertisement