Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Summer's Transfer Saga: Suarez to Arsenal?

• 25-07-2013 2:42pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If a story is dominating both teams superthreads and The Transfer thread maybe it warrants it's own thread (and some of those may cool down a bit as a result).

Suarez to Arsenal seems to be the most talked about thing this week and there sure are a whole heap of talking points:

Are the gunners willing to spend more than 40m+1p on a player? How much would Liverpool fans accept for their wantaway star? Are Real Madrid going to get involved? How would it reflect on Liverpool to sell their star to a team in their own league their already chasing? How much is Suarez and his baggage really worth? and could Liverpool still keep him? How much of a step up would a move to the Emirates really be? and what about his problems with the British press? Could Arsenal challenge for the league with a player Like Suarez?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Oh and Liverpool/Arsenal fans dont ruin the thread, thanks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Oh and Liverpool/Arsenal fans dont ruin the thread, thanks. :)

Can we still discuss it in our own threads?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Anyone wrote: »
    Can we still discuss it in our own threads?

of course, but I thought many fans might appreciate the big story of the summer having its own thread so those threads and the transfer thread would not be engulfed in it totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Can see it happening myself Rodgers seems like he's willing to negotiate.

I dont see why not, I suppose, and BH can correct me, this is to discuss not just the transfer but how it effects both teams.

There's been posts in both Arsenal/Liverpool thread about whos bigger, better etc etc so I supopse this, in essence is place to discuss not just the move but the wider implication of his transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I said it yesterday that Arsenal are only making offers so they can say to their fans that they tried to sign someone of Suarez's quality.

They won't pay £50 million plus for any player.

I also think that Suarez is going nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Question is how much less Liverpool would be willing to take to sell him abroad?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I said it yesterday that Arsenal are only making offers so they can say to their fans that they tried to sign someone of Suarez's quality.

a 40m bid which seemingly has triggered a clause allowing him to talk to Arsenal seems like too big a gamble for a man like Wenger to make just so he could say he tried imo.

I suspect Suarez would still give 100% on the pitch if he stayed but off the pitch he must have surely burnt too many bridges for it not to just be an awful 12 months before he's sold the following summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I heard this a few times and find it a bit tin foil hat to be honest.

Anyway, Wenger and Arsenal know that regardless of who they tried to sign, if there are no major in's before the start of the season, then there'll be boos and pry seats before the first ball is kicked.

Probably even more so because we were only a few million away from Higuain and we're 10 away from Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

On the unlikely scenario that he does go I would imagine he wouldn't stay too long, maybe 2 seasons or 3. Reminds me of Tevez in a lot of ways.

• Advertisement

a 40m bid which seemingly has triggered a clause allowing him to talk to Arsenal seems like too big a gamble for a man like Wenger to make just so he could say he tried imo.

I suspect Suarez would still give 100% on the pitch if he stayed but off the pitch he must have surely burnt too many bridges for it not to just be an awful 12 months before he's sold the following summer.

I reckon he'll still end up at Real and it will be for less money then Arsenal offered and around the same amount they sold Higuain for.

You dont want to lose players to a team in the same league so if you've to take a hit be done with it and sell him for a few million less so I reckon Real are just waiting in the wings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Question is how much less Liverpool would be willing to take to sell him abroad?

If they sell to arsenal they will go from having a bet very slim chance of finishing 4th to absolutely no chance of finishing 4th!!

Spurs have bought quality, arsenal will be buying pools star. It just pushes pool back behind the chasing bunch further again.

I still think arsenal taking massive gamble buying Suarez, yes he will get goals but going on records could end up sitting a large part of season in the stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

That's nonsense.

The board have already said they need to spend to get a world class player, and this is exactly that being put in motion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I disagree.

You don't make those sort of offers for the craic. If they were doing to ruffle feathers then they'd have left it at the initial £30m.

The club have now put themselves in a position where they have to follow through on some big money signings; there'll be hell to pay if they sit on their hands this summer after making such noises and another groundhog day version of a fight for 4th place ensues.

I think this summer can be a turning point for AFC; as I've said countless times though; the proof of this will be there to be seen on 1/9/13 or else they risk disillusioning vast swathes of the fanbase.

I'm of the opinion that the supposed triggering of a clause means that Arsenal are allowed to talk to Suarez and not the other way round.

IMO a lot of what he has said in the media over the last few weeks has been lost in translation to suit the media so they can sell papers.

Reporter: Luis would you like to play for Madrid some day?

Luis: Of course anyone would like to play for a club like Madrid. They are a massive club.

The world: ZOMG Suarez wants to leave Liverpool for Madrid.

Newspaper headline: Arsenal make £40 million bid for Suarez.

The World: ZOMFG Suarez wants to go to Arsenal.

This all started when he said he was sick of the English media hounding him.

Now he wants to go to a club in London, which is also in England.

I reckon he'll still end up at Real and it will be for less money then Arsenal offered and around the same amount they sold Higuain for.

You dont want to lose players to a team in the same league so if you've to take a hit be done with it and sell him for a few million less so I reckon Real are just waiting in the wings.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2013/07/luis-suarez-latest-report-claims-real-no-longer-interested/
    Carlo Ancelotti.
    “We believe in them(Morata and Jesé) and they deserve this opportunity. They are also very good. If Higuaín leaves, we are not going to sign a new forward”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Liverpool have no chance of finishing in the 4 with or w/o suarez. Thats why hes going, i dont why ppl keep bringing up Real its bale they want, bit like us last year begging juve to come in for rvp

I'm of the opinion that the supposed triggering of a clause means that Arsenal are allowed to talk to Suarez and not the other way round.

IMO a lot of what he has said in the media over the last few weeks has been lost in translation to suit the media so they can sell papers.

Reporter: Luis would you like to play for Madrid some day?

Luis: Of course anyone would like to play for a club like Madrid. They are a massive club.

The world: ZOMG Suarez wants to leave Liverpool for Madrid.

Newspaper headline: Arsenal make £40 million bid for Suarez.

The World: ZOMFG Suarez wants to go to Arsenal.

This all started when he said he was sick of the English media hounding him.

Now he wants to go to a club in London, which is also in England.
    Are you under the illusion that he cares about Liverpool? I can categorically tell you now he will walk away with a pay rise a signing on fee and champions league football!

Suarez doesn't care about anyone or anything but himself and who can blame him

Didnt their DOF come out back in June or early July saying Higuain would go and a world class replacement was being lined up?

Could well have been Cavni until his price went mental but I'd be surrpsied if Suarez wasnt still on their radar.

Are you under the illusion that he cares about Liverpool? I can categorically tell you now he will walk away with a pay rise a signing on fee and champions league football!

Suarez doesn't care about anyone or anything but himself and who can blame him

I am under no illusions at all.

I'm just saying that he is not going to Arsenal or anyone this summer.

If he was then Madrid, Chelsea, PSG would have come in and offered £50 or £60 million for him straight off.

• Advertisement

Suarez Footballers doesn't care about anyone or anything but himself themsleves and who can blame him them.

Fixed.

Didnt their DOF come out back in June or early July saying Higuain would go and a world class replacement was being lined up?

Could well have been Cavni until his price went mental but I'd be surrpsied if Suarez wasnt still on their radar.

I think Real have their sights set on someone more marketable like Bale.

If he was then Madrid, Chelsea, PSG would have come in and offered £50 or £60 million for him straight off.

50 or 60 million pounds? Where the name of god are you getting that valuation from?

Simply put very few clubs interested in him means his value certainly isn't worth that especially with his issues

Fixed.

Too true!!!

Hes not worth that amount of money though thats why teams havent offered it.

If Liverpool are holding out for 50-60million then you're right, he wont be going anywhere because nobody will pay that for him.

If Chelsea were put off Cavani they're not going to go in for Suarez at that price, same goes for Real and PSG spent huge on Cavani.

If Suarez stays how will the 'Pool fans react to him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Carlo Ancelotti.
    “We believe in them(Morata and Jesé) and they deserve this opportunity. They are also very good. If Higuaín leaves, we are not going to sign a new forward”.

If Real think that Jese, Morata and Benzema are enough to go toe to toe with Barca I'd be very surprised.

Everything Wenger and the rest of the club must be questioned. The fact that they came out and said "We have loooooooadsa money" doesn't suggest they're looking for value. Only an idiot would go into a car dealership and say they have plenty of money and I don't believe Wenger or the higher-ups are that stupid.

As for Suarez, would just about take him at £30 million, huge amount of hassle while he does play and a huge amount more when he kicks up a stink if the team amazingly doesn't go from 4th to 1st in a single season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Transfermarkt value him at 37 million pounds, so Arsenal are already offering over his market value.

Gbear wrote: »
    If Real think that Jese, Morata and Benzema are enough to go toe to toe with Barca I'd be very surprised.

Benzema defo is good enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Benzema defo is good enough

Of course. He's better than Higuain. But that isn't enough for Real as their options for attack. Especially seeing as Barca just signed Neymar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If Liverpool are holding out for 50-60million then you're right, he wont be going anywhere because nobody will pay that for him.

If Chelsea were put off Cavani they're not going to go in for Suarez at that price, same goes for Real and PSG spent huge on Cavani.

If he stays and plays well the fanbase will do a 180 where required. They're football fans. There will be a few very bitter fans who will still hate him (i.e. Mike65 on here) but most will get on board if he's doing well because everyone loves a winner.

50 or 60 million pounds? Where the name of god are you getting that valuation from?

Simply put very few clubs interested in him means his value certainly isn't worth that especially with his issues

To Liverpool he is worth that much.

If Liverpool have any chance of competing with Utd, City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs then they have to either keep him or sell him for £50 million plus so they can buy 1 or 2 top quality players to replace him. Without Suarez Liverpool will have no chance of doing anything next season.

If he says then great. He will give his all on the pitch because he's that type of player.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If he stays and plays well the fanbase will do a 180 where required. They're football fans. There will be a few very bitter fans who will still hate him (i.e. Mike65 on here) but most will get on board if he's doing well because everyone loves a winner.

If he does come back and play for the season and gives the same passion and desire then if I was a Liverpool fan it wouldnt bother me, as long as hes doing the business on the pitch, personally I couldnt give a toss as ultimately the team will be doing well which is the main thing.

To Liverpool he is worth that much.

If Liverpool have any chance of competing with Utd, City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs then they have to either keep him or sell him for £50 million plus so they can buy 1 or 2 top quality players to replace him. Without Suarez Liverpool will have no chance of doing anything next season.

If he says then great. He will give his all on the pitch because he's that type of player.
    when it comes to united, city, Chelsea, arsenal and spurs be honest pool are not gonna be in contention even with Suarez, no offense meant in saying that but lfc are currently a mid table team. You failed to qualify for any European competition even with Suarez. It will be a long time before Liverpool will be contenders to topple anyone in the top 5 clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Gbear wrote: »
    A few weeks ago Reina was pretty adamant that he was going to remain at the club and fight for his place even though it was clear to all and sundry that his career here was over. You really can't take anything that is said in the media at face value anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Yes I would value him at 50 to 60 million pound .

1). Suarez is in the bracket of the top 10 players in the world at the moment .
    2). Suarez is only 26 and has his best years ahead of him .
    3). Arsenal sold RVP last summer for 24 million with one year left on his contract and Suarez has a much longer contract . Also to add to it Van Persie was a crock for years because he was always injured . Suarez has gotten a few bans but I don't think he has missed a game through injury for LFC .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Real Madrid want to move away from the circus that Jose created last year. Signing Suarez would be one step forward two steps back.

I don't believe he'll cost much more than £40M becuase he wants to leave and there might not be a lot of bidders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Isn't Arsenal's biggest purchase a mere is £16m for Carzorla? Wenger has always been a bargain hunter of sorts, so this looks very out of kilter with his mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I don't agree with Super-Rush that Arsenal bid £40m 'just to say they tried'.

I do believe their interest is genuine, and I do believe they really thought that £40m +£1 might be enough to do it.

However I do agree with Super-Rush in that I think there is a high probability that Suarez will stay, much higher than many think. From day 1 of the saga (even before Arsenal became involved in speculation) people have seemingly seen Suarez as a goner despite very little concrete evidence to suggest it. Particularly the Real Madrid angle - all the noises from Spain suggest they want Bale. If they move for Saurez I believe it will be because they have failed to land Bale.

So far, if we cut through all the rumour, speculation, and look at the hard facts of the saga, this is all that has happened:

- Suarez has stated he wants to leave.
    - Arsenal have made a bid that falls at least £10m short of Liverpool's valuation.

They're the only important facts of the saga so far, and neither suggests that Suarez leaving Liverpool is anywhere near a certainty.

If the following happens:

- Arsenal do not reach Liverpool's valuation.
    - Madrid sign Bale (or fail to sign Bale but do not decide to invest in Suarez)

then Suarez is almost certainly a Liverpool player come September. It's touch and go, but it certainly is very plausible.

I just can't imagine Wenger spending that much on one player, although he has already surprised me with his £40m bid.

I've seen very little evidence all summer (other than column fillers from tabloids) that Madrid are ready to move for Suarez. He most definitely isn't their number 1 target (Bale is).

I don't think it's delusional to predict Suarez will be in a Liverpool shirt come September

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

This is delusion in the extreme right here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

It makes no sense for Liverpool to sell to Arsenal. The Top 3 are City United and Chelsea. If Liverpool are to have any chance (along with Spurs) of making Champions League then it would be crazy to make either of those 2 stronger, and weaken yourself as a result. I would be disappointed if that is not the clubs stance on this.

So, 40m + to Real Madrid, 50+ if Top 3 were interested, and dont sell at all to Arsenal. Tell Suarez he signed a contract, and publically said he wouldnt move to another English club. Levy put Modric in his box a few seasons sgo (although he went a season later).....Liverpool can do the same with Suarez

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Real Madrid want to move away from the circus that Jose created last year. Signing Suarez would be one step forward two steps back.

I don't believe he'll cost much more than £40M becuase he wants to leave and there might not be a lot of bidders.

Yes, but to follow your circus analogy, Suarez's antics will not be interpreted as anywhere near as 'clownish' as they have been in ENgland.

A lot of his behaviour that fans and media pounce on in England is par for the course in Spain, or at least not considered such a big deal (and yes I include the biting and alleged racism incident in there too).

In La Liga he would not be the pantomime villain he is in England

So I'm not convinced on this theory, although I do share your skepticism about the extent of Madrid's interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

The stupid thing about this post, is that you for some reason assume that (the board think that) just bidding for players will somehow placate Arsenal's fans. Fans couldn't care less about bidding for players, they want the club to actually sign players.

I'm no fan of our board but they're not as stupid as you seem to think, they know that a summer without signings will result in a furious backlash as soon as the team puts in its first poor performance. Patience is running thin amongst Arsenal fans, and everyone (including our board) knows it.

jordainius wrote: »
    The stupid thing about this post, is that you for some reason assume that just bidding for players will somehow placate Arsenal's fans. Fans couldn't care less about bidding for players, they want the club to actually sign players.
    You haven't read the "The fact we were in for Higuain proves that we are showing ambition" stuff then?
    I'm no fan of our board but they're not as stupid as you seem to think, they know that a summer without signings will result in a furious backlash as soon as the team puts in its first poor performance. Patience is running thin amongst Arsenal fans, and everyone (including our board) knows it.
    Season tickets will have been paid for by then.

You haven't read the "The fact we were in for Higuain proves that we are showing ambition" stuff then?
    So you're saying that the board think bidding for and not actually signing players will keep the fans happy?

So you're saying that the board think bidding for and not actually signing players will keep the fans happy?

Have you been in the Arsenal thread lately?

Have you been in the Arsenal thread lately?
    Answer my question; are you saying that you believe the board think that bidding for and not actually signing players will keep the fans happy?

Answer my question; are you saying that you believe the board think that bidding for and not actually signing players will keep the fans happy?

They would be stupid not to because it has worked on a sizable proportion of the fanbase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

They would be stupid not to because it has worked on a sizable proportion of the fanbase.

I don't know where you get the idea that supporters will be happy if we don't sign anyone.

It's some weird crackpot theory that seems to have cropped up that Arsenal continuously bid on players just to say they tried and everyone will be happy. People will go nuts if no signings of significance are made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

You talking about me there Button?

• Advertisement
Advertisement