Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Summer's Transfer Saga: Suarez to Arsenal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

They would be stupid not to because it has worked on a sizable proportion of the fanbase.

In July. People are seeing bids as action, in September signings will be seen as action. Stop insulting 80% of that thread because they don't share the same conspiracy theory as you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Have you been in the Arsenal thread lately?
    They would be stupid not to because it has worked on a sizable proportion of the fanbase.

Jesus you don't half talk ****e do ya, are you sure you're an Arsenal fan? Majority of your posts come across bitter and hateful towards Arsenal.

To even think Arsenal would make bids of 40 million hoping another club would go public and turn it down to appease fans is brainless to be honest.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Hes not worth that amount of money though thats why teams havent offered it.

If Liverpool are holding out for 50-60million then you're right, he wont be going anywhere because nobody will pay that for him.

If Chelsea were put off Cavani they're not going to go in for Suarez at that price, same goes for Real and PSG spent huge on Cavani.

If Suarez stays how will the 'Pool fans react to him?

Match going fans won't have a problem once he gives the same effort he always has.

I'm sure a few internet posters will hold a grudge but on the whole most once he does the business for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Barton after 2 years of injuries/jail etc etc finally strung together a good season and he won over the Newcastle fans for the most part and he left the club on good terms with the fans.

Suarez would have no problem if he produced the kind of form he's shown before. Total non-issue imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Hope he goes foreign. Arsenal are a fairly likeable club these days, that would go pear shaped pretty quickly with this signing.

Liverpool fans should have no problem supporting him on the pitch if he stays. Will be seen in a different light by many but you have to back your best players.
    Sort of like Rooney at United. He will never reach the legendary status for most fans even if he has more ability and has done more than some players that would be considered legends of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Barton after 2 years of injuries/jail etc etc finally strung together a good season and he won over the Newcastle fans for the most part and he left the club on good terms with the fans.

Suarez would have no problem if he produced the kind of form he's shown before. Total non-issue imo.

So you are expecting Suarez to end up behind bars at some stage next season :D

I doubt many Arsenal fans will care about being a "likeable club" if Suarez helped them win trophies. Strangest thing I've read in about 10 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

jester77 wrote: »
    So you are expecting Suarez to end up behind bars at some stage next season :D

You couldn't rule out anything with him to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Would, Ronaldo, Isco, Ozil, not be adequate options for the position Suarez would be looking to play in for Madrid (if he went there)?

He would be perfect for Giroud, would link well with Cazorla. While his antics make him a risky signing for Arsenal he is probably worth that risk.

Suarez’s agent Pere Guardiola believed a bid of more than £40million would allow his client to move on but Liverpool have always insisted that is not the case.

Asked if the Reds simply had to inform Suarez of offers in excess of that figure, Rodgers said: “Absolutely. That's it. There is nothing more than that.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-manager-brendan-rodgers-5316683

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

rarnes1 wrote: »

A lot of articles like this one mention Arshavin at 15m the club record, yet other articles suggest its Reyes, with Cazorla 2nd highest and Arshavin 3rd.

Which is correct out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Read on a few sites that the £40,000,001 bid was rejected.

So there is no release clause then?

Read on a few sites that the £40,000,001 bid was rejected.

So there is no release clause then?

What Rodgers said today. So unless he is telling lies..
    Suarez’s agent Pere Guardiola believed a bid of more than £40million would allow his client to move on but Liverpool have always insisted that is not the case.

Asked if the Reds simply had to inform Suarez of offers in excess of that figure, Rodgers said: “Absolutely. That's it. There is nothing more than that.

There's some history with Suarez's agent supposedly trying to force moves from clubs etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Few things surprise in the modern era but I would be pretty shocked if he went to Arsenal considering what he has said about wanting shot of the Premier League.

I do think he owes Liverpool at least another season. Hasn't he missed something like 25% of eligible games due to suspensions and bans? I figured that would be Liverpool's best bet: to try to convince him to hang around for another year as United were able to do with Ronaldo. Maybe that will still happen.

Seems to me like there's a lot of players sending clubs on a merry dance at the moment for their own personal ends. I think Suarez is just angling for a Madrid move and hoping they will come in. Similarly I don't think Fabregas is interested in a United move and is just angling for greater assurances from Barca.

• Advertisement

What Rodgers said today. So unless he is telling lies..

There's some history with Suarez's agent supposedly trying to force moves from clubs etc.

Can't see why Liverpool wouldn't hold out for £50m+ then, if there's nothing forcing them to sell. They should be in full control with this.

I can see Suarez staying at Liverpool for at least another season now.

Can't see why Liverpool wouldn't hold out for £50m+ then, if there's nothing forcing them to sell. They should be in full control with this.

I can see Suarez staying at Liverpool for at least another season now.

I can see Madrid coming in tbh unless they go for Bale.

If they make their interest known then Suarez may be forced to hand in a transfer request. I still think he'll end up there. That's his preference.

Few things surprise in the modern era but I would be pretty shocked if he went to Arsenal considering what he has said about wanting shot of the Premier League.

I do think he owes Liverpool at least another season. Hasn't he missed something like 25% of eligible games due to suspensions and bans? I figured that would be Liverpool's best bet: to try to convince him to hang around for another year as United were able to do with Ronaldo. Maybe that will still happen.

Seems to me like there's a lot of players sending clubs on a merry dance at the moment for their own personal ends. I think Suarez is just angling for a Madrid move and hoping they will come in. Similarly I don't think Fabregas is interested in a United move and is just angling for greater assurances from Barca.

I think Suarez comments on the Premier League were made because he wanted to move on from Liverpool, he probably wasn't expecting an English team to be interested in him.

But Arsenal are interested now, if the team he wants doesn't come in for him would probably go to Arsenal despite the thoughts he previously expressed.

They are going to be offering good money and if he is going to end up staying in England another year he may we well go to a Champions League club, get the extra cash and live in London.

I can see Madrid coming in tbh unless they go for Bale.

If they make their interest known then Suarez may be forced to hand in a transfer request. I still think he'll end up there. That's his preference.

It's funny I can't see Madrid getting either Suarez or Bale now. Had Isco not been bought, Bale would probably already have signed but they seem to have gone cold on him now. Ancelotti said Benzema was his number 1 with Rodriguez and Morata being his other options.

I think it's a bit scummy that Suarez has said he wants to leave but hasn't handed in a transfer request. All the sh*t Liverpool put up with and he's holding out for a loyalty cheque or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It's funny I can't see Madrid getting either Suarez or Bale now. Had Isco not been bought, Bale would probably already have signed but they seem to have gone cold on him now. Ancelotti said Benzema was his number 1 with Rodriguez and Morata being his other options.

I think it's a bit scummy that Suarez has said he wants to leave but hasn't handed in a transfer request. All the sh*t Liverpool put up with and he's holding out for a loyalty cheque or whatever.
    I just can't see Bale moving abroad for some reason. Nothing to back it up or anything, I just get the feeling he would prefer the EPL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pity this thread wasn't started a few months back! :p

Go on Arsenal, surprise us all - lets see your money.

Who knows what's going on behind the scenes tbf plus it's early days in the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Struggling to imagine a situation where Liverpool actually sell to Arsenal for a remotely reasonable price. Even 50m they'd probably reject, 60+ would just be silly on Arsenal's part when they could have gotten Higuain + Fellaini for less combined. Suarez would seriously have to push his way out for this to happen imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Who knows what's going on behind the scenes tbf plus it's early days in the window.

I have a feeling he doesn't want to go to Arsenal and is holding out for a Real Madrid bid . If he did I think a transfer request would have been handed in and if he hands one in I think LFC will release the news to say they are not granting it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I have a feeling he doesn't want to go to Arsenal and is holding out for a Real Madrid bid

Thats what my old fella said today and he doesnt even follow football much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

He likes soccer and wants to play for a big club in the champions league.

he will earn a lot of money when he moves to a new club that is for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Tell ye one thing, if he does go to Arsenal after his comments about wanting to leave the country because he was being persecuted or whatever way he put it, he'l be fleeced.

And rightly so too, imo - that would be a serious show of disrespect to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Suarez will go to Arsenal lads , Liverpool fans ye can say what ye like the majority of you from what i've seen in the last few days in this thread you're own thread and even the arsenal thread either have ye're heads in the clouds or just plain delusional,

Last season you had suarez and you didn't even qualify for the europa league what on earth makes any of you think you have a chance of making the top 4 this year possibly without Suarez ?

Also Real Madrid are after Bale lads not Suarez, It's the same thing we went through last year with RVP we all wanted him to go to Juventus , There bid never came and he ****ed off to United,

And my last point , For the last 5-6 years people have been moaning at Arsenal about spending nothing and now that we're about to (finally) spend big no one is taking us serious

And if Liverpool are so close to Arsenal how many of you're players would get in our team at the moment , Suarez, a younger Gerrard and possibly Agger thats it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Is there any talk that Suarez and his agent believe that 40 million is the buy out clause?
    Is there a mix up or misinterpretation between the 2 parties?

I don't know where you get the idea that supporters will be happy if we don't sign anyone.

It's some weird crackpot theory that seems to have cropped up that Arsenal continuously bid on players just to say they tried and everyone will be happy. People will go nuts if no signings of significance are made.
    It's worked for the last few years.
    gosplan wrote: »
    You talking about me there Button?
    Partly, in real life it's happening too.
    AdamD wrote: »
    In July. People are seeing bids as action, in September signings will be seen as action. Stop insulting 80% of that thread because they don't share the same conspiracy theory as you.
    I'm looking at the last few years. Last year we started doing stuff and RVP was a dick. As you said, people are seeing bids (real and reported) as actions.
    Jesus you don't half talk ****e do ya, are you sure you're an Arsenal fan? Majority of your posts come across bitter and hateful towards Arsenal.
    Ow, my feelings. I'm just sick of the club doing nothing while having money in the bank and knowing there's money in the bank.
    To even think Arsenal would make bids of 40 million hoping another club would go public and turn it down to appease fans is brainless to be honest.
    If you say so. To think that they want to make signings (the last 3 years) while saying they have looooooodsa money to spend and think there's no ulterior motive means you think they're retarded. Or they're playing the market.
    Best league in the world.
    If Arsenal sign him for around £50 million but wouldn't go £30 million for Higuain I'll be very annoyed. The only way signing him makes sense is if we sign another CB for injuries and a DM. Play 4-2-4 for the season and see how it goes. If it doesn't work out then at least we tried.

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    Is there any talk that Suarez and his agent believe that 40 million is the buy out clause?
    Is there a mix up or misinterpretation between the 2 parties?

£40 million as a "buy-out" was leaked ages ago, then denied. Then there's been some fudging for the last few weeks. People are confusing themselves about "being allowed to talk to a player" not realising that a player and club can agree all the terms they want but a transfer fee has to be met.
    Who knows what the contract says, given Suarez's history once there's any kind of vague clause he can use it to his advantage and make his situation untenable. Liverpool fans will be split on this but from my point of view accepting £40 million would be stupid unless it's Madrid and £50 million to a Premier League club would just about make sense, I can see why they'd still be pissed off at that level though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

8-10 wrote: »
    A lot of articles like this one mention Arshavin at 15m the club record, yet other articles suggest its Reyes, with Cazorla 2nd highest and Arshavin 3rd.

Which is correct out of interest?

I think its arshavin, it's always mentioned too & the fee is pretty much always 15

this is on the BBC but isn't right i don't think
    Arsenal's record buys
    Jose Antonio Reyes (Sevilla) £17.5m
    Santi Cazorla (Malaga) £16m
    Andrey Arshavin (Zenit St Petersburg) £15m
    Sylvain Wiltord (Bordeaux) £13m
    Thierry Henry (Juventus) £11m
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23428419

the fee for Reyes was worth upto, they link to their original story, it was 10.5 with another 7 based on appearances, he made 110 for arsenal & was already capped by spain when he moved.

transferleague.co.uk have reyes down as 13 - they aren't always right either, they have to put something in or else it skews the stats, they say this about undisclosed fees in their FAQ, something arsenal do a lot, they've gervinho down as 10.something but last year at the time wenger was losing it press conferences & being questioned on transfers, he replied angrily/defensively gervinho cost 8

cazorla is supposed to have cost £12, john cross reckons though malaga wanted 20 first, i believe this, remember at the time it was low because of their money problems & arsenal paid it straight out
    transferleague have his at £20, no way did he cost that & the BBC at 16.
    I think they're getting mixed up in conversions of which currency sign to use. £12 would be around €16 but the BBC is more likely of the latter two prices. I think if it was Cazorla @ 16 it'd be mentioned a lot more

not a lot in whichever is right, some of the other lads might know for definite but i think it's arshavin

Looking at those numbers it seems wikipedia go the lower side of low with their numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Looking at those numbers it seems wikipedia go the lower side of low with their numbers.

on which players?

Henry might be 500k less than the BBC too, didn't bother mentioning it :D

batistuta9 wrote: »
    on which players?

Henry might be 500k less than the BBC too, didn't bother mentioning it :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013-14_Arsenal_F.C._season#Squad_information Sort by transfer fee. Though as I said on the Arsenal thread, sort by apps for hilarious reading :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Suarez will go to Arsenal lads , Liverpool fans ye can say what ye like the majority of you from what i've seen in the last few days in this thread you're own thread and even the arsenal thread either have ye're heads in the clouds or just plain delusional,

Last season you had suarez and you didn't even qualify for the europa league what on earth makes any of you think you have a chance of making the top 4 this year possibly without Suarez ?

Also Real Madrid are after Bale lads not Suarez, It's the same thing we went through last year with RVP we all wanted him to go to Juventus , There bid never came and he ****ed off to United,

And my last point , For the last 5-6 years people have been moaning at Arsenal about spending nothing and now that we're about to (finally) spend big no one is taking us serious

And if Liverpool are so close to Arsenal how many of you're players would get in our team at the moment , Suarez, a younger Gerrard and possibly Agger thats it

LOL. Dream on, son. Why would a world class player like Suarez join Arsenal? He wants to win trophies! His interest in Arsenal was merely to spur Real Madrid into action. He won't join another English club. As someone said in the Pool thread the other day- he's a goner, but he's not a gunner.

LOL. Dream on, son. Why would a world class player like Suarez join Arsenal? He wants to win trophies! His interest in Arsenal was merely to spur Real Madrid into action. He won't join another English club. As someone said in the Pool thread the other day- he's a goner, but he's not a gunner.

I think he would join another English club if a team outside England doesn't look for him. Arsenal are a step up as they play in the Champions league, he will get more money for playing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I think he would join another English club if a team outside England doesn't look for him. Arsenal are a step up as they play in the Champions league, he will get more money for playing there.

Don't think he'll get any more money at Arsenal than he will at Pool tbh.

I still think an Arsenal move is unlikely. The fee required for it to make sense for Pool is astronomical, and this move would eliminate the chance of the move Suarez really wants - Spain. An extra year at Pool and he'll likely get his dream move (if he doesn't this year), but a move to Arsenal and he's still got the English press (even worse in London), and is still only at a club who will likely be 4th favourites for the league. No offence to Arsenal here incidentally, but they're well behind Madrid in likelyhood to win a league or Champions League.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Don't think he'll get any more money at Arsenal than he will at Pool tbh.

I still think an Arsenal move is unlikely. The fee required for it to make sense for Pool is astronomical, and this move would eliminate the chance of the move Suarez really wants - Spain. An extra year at Pool and he'll likely get his dream move (if he doesn't this year), but a move to Arsenal and he's still got the English press (even worse in London), and is still only at a club who will likely be 4th favourites for the league. No offence to Arsenal here incidentally, but they're well behind Madrid in likelyhood to win a league or Champions League.

What is he on a week at Liverpool? I was thinking if Arsenal are willing to put together a 40 million and a pound bid they would be puttting together a nice salary package to go with it.

Another season at Liverpool won't make him more valuable to a team that is considered his dream move, if they don't go for him this summer I don't see how another season at Liverpool is going to increase his chances of getting that move. Look at the impact playing well in the champions league has on the value of guys like Lewandowski. More guys move ahead of Suarez the longer he stays at Liverpool (imo). Of course this is all based on him not getting his 'dream' move this summer.

• Advertisement

125k roughly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

He plays for Liverpool atm.

Remember that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Out of curiosity, I assume the majority of Liverpool fans now want him gone yes? He has said he wants to leave and from past experience with many of the pool boardsies that is the point of no return for a player?

Rodgers beginning to sound quite desperate in his press comments about the situation now, the absolute worst thing they could do is wait till the last minute to agree to sell and wind up in a situation where they cant get anyone decent to replace him, like what happened with Torres

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Has there been anything recently to suggest Madrid have any interest in Suarez?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

kryogen wrote: »
    Rodgers beginning to sound quite desperate in his press comments about the situation now, the absolute worst thing they could do is wait till the last minute to agree to sell and wind up in a situation where they cant get anyone decent to replace him, like what happened with Torres

Swap deal with Bendtner, Chamakh and Park. Three ready made replacements right there, makes perfect sense.

Out of curiosity, I assume the majority of Liverpool fans now want him gone yes? He has said he wants to leave and from past experience with many of the pool boardsies that is the point of no return for a player?

Fortunately (this may surprise some) Liverpool can buy without having to sell Suarez. But yes get shot of the little ingrate sooner not later. Arsenal know the price - 50 million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I like an aul Arsenal dig as much as the next fellah, but right now they are the ones with CL football putting £40m on the table. Liverpool fans should be realistic about what that says on the relative order of things. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

No im a forgiving kind of person so i would love if he stayed on, we all make mistakes in life.

The guy has bitten two people and is now agitating to leave citing what are possibly imaginary clauses in his contract. He is not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

mike65 wrote: »
    The guy has bitten two people and is now agitating to leave citing what are possibly imaginary clauses in his contract. He is not worth it.
    he is since we won't be able to attract anyone near his ability to the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

MD1990 wrote: »
    he is since we won't be able to attract anyone near his ability to the club

You will struggle to find goals losing him with sturridge as his replacement, if you do lose him I can't see Liverpool getting any where near top4, hence rodgers being so desperate for him to stay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement