Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Summer's Transfer Saga: Suarez to Arsenal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Even if they keep him, no top 4 for liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You will struggle to find goals losing him with sturridge as his replacement, if you do lose him I can't see Liverpool getting any where near top4, hence rodgers being so desperate for him to stay.

Hence apparent interest in Soldado.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

kryogen wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, I assume the majority of Liverpool fans now want him gone yes? He has said he wants to leave and from past experience with many of the pool boardsies that is the point of no return for a player?

Rodgers beginning to sound quite desperate in his press comments about the situation now, the absolute worst thing they could do is wait till the last minute to agree to sell and wind up in a situation where they cant get anyone decent to replace him, like what happened with Torres

Rodgers is just playing him at his own game and ensuring that if he is going to go Liverpool are going to get the optimum price. Those comments sound like he is as good as gone to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Vanolder wrote: »
    Rodgers is just playing him at his own game and ensuring that if he is going to go Liverpool are going to get the optimum price. Those comments sound like he is as good as gone to me.

I think he will probably be sold alright, just the comments from Rodgers, from beginning to now in the "saga" are sounding more and more desperate to me, for example, the recent angle is that Suarez owes the club loyalty, as the club has always supported him, the club and the fans.....

Sounds like a wife desperately trying to keep her husband from running off with the more attractive neighbour down the road :)

Trying all the angles.

Realistically, who is going to pay 50million for him? Thats a ridiculous price, Liverpool will be doing well to get the 40 million tbh, it appears from his personality and demeanor that Luis wont exactly be a happy camper or a positive guy in the squad if he doesnt get his move that he wants. Can Liverpool afford to keep him in those circumstances?

They need to be a bit more realistic, sell him for the 40, if Arsenal (no real interest from anywhere else lets be honest) are wiling to go higher then better again! Get in someone who scores goals, (Soldado is available for less) and it wont be the end of the world.

Drag it out and end up selling with a few days left in the window and it could all go Andy Carroll again.

Arsenal are a champions league team, will be in the mix for the title and are a step forward for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Has there been anything recently to suggest Madrid have any interest in Suarez?

Nothing. The only really official word from Madrid came before the transfer window when Florentino Perez gave an interview where he said Gareth Bale was 'born to play for Madrid' and "Suarez is a great player and I am sure all in the world would want him. I like him and others too, but it does not always fit."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/8742517/real-madrid-chief-florentino-perez-sets-sights-on-gareth-bale-and-luis-suarez

Realistically, who is going to pay 50million for him? Thats a ridiculous price, Liverpool will be doing well to get the 40 million tbh, it appears from his personality and demeanor that Luis wont exactly be a happy camper or a positive guy in the squad if he doesnt get his move that he wants. Can Liverpool afford to keep him in those circumstances?

Probably not but I'd actually like a club to say to a PITA star name "you are going nowhere and if you refuse to play ball we will send you to the U21s until you are sold and if you refuse to play we will sue you for breach of contract"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I think he will probably be sold alright, just the comments from Rodgers, from beginning to now in the "saga" are sounding more and more desperate to me, for example, the recent angle is that Suarez owes the club loyalty, as the club has always supported him, the club and the fans.....

Sounds like a wife desperately trying to keep her husband from running off with the more attractive neighbour down the road :)

Trying all the angles.

They need to be a bit more realistic, sell him for the 40, if Arsenal (no real interest from anywhere else lets be honest) are wiling to go higher then better again! Get in someone who scores goals, (Soldado is available for less) and it wont be the end of the world.

Drag it out and end up selling with a few days left in the window and it could all go Andy Carroll again.

Arsenal are a champions league team, will be in the mix for the title and are a step forward for him.

Why would they be doing well to get 40 million when a club has already offered it. What makes you think Arsenal will be in the mix for the title when they havent been in years really. I think 50 million or **** off, maybe he will realise he is not as wanted as he thinks he is if only a club like arsenal come in for him, it might calm him down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Why would they be doing well to get 40 million when a club has already offered it. What makes you think Arsenal will be in the mix for the title when they havent been in years really. I think 50 million or **** off, maybe he will realise he is not as wanted as he thinks he is if only a club like arsenal come in for him, it might calm him down.
    50 million or **** off?

Charming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

mike65 wrote: »
    Probably not but I'd actually like a club to say to a PITA star name "you are going nowhere and if you refuse to play ball we will send you to the U21s until you are sold and if you refuse to play we will sue you for breach of contract"

Dortmund and Lewandowski?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

mike65 wrote: »
    At which point you're paying someone 100k a week not to play and you are lacking a striker up front. Very few clubs are well-off enough to make that choice. Or indeed stupid enough. That's the worst of both worlds - the player isn't available, you're losing money and some other club will pick him up for a steal in the next window.

I think that Suarez is professional enough to play if this deal falls through but if he isn't (professional enough) then LFC will have little choice but to sell
    kryogen wrote:
    ...it appears from his personality and demeanor that Luis wont exactly be a happy camper or a positive guy in the squad if he doesnt get his move that he wants
    I think that's harsh. Whether you like his on-field antics or not, there's been nothing to suggest that Suarez isn't a model professional off the pitch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Reekwind wrote: »

I think that Suarez is professional enough to play if this deal falls through but if he isn't (professional enough) then LFC will have little choice but to sell

I think that's harsh. Whether you like his on-field antics or not, there's been nothing to suggest that Suarez isn't a model professional off the pitch

I don't know about that, now I didn't see the friendly in Australia but everything I've read suggested he looked like man who didn't want to be there, even after he set up the goal he didn't celebrate? That sounds like a player forcing the move to me if true.

I don't think Real are in for him when they are they usually make it very public for the world to know and right now they seem to be doing that with Bale and have told there younger strikers they will be given chances to play this season so unless there moves for Bale fail can't see them moving for Suarez.

Us as Arsenal fans know what it feel's like to loose players to other clubs and it stings but some the comments from Liverpool fans are sounding real bitter it's far from a sideways step Arsenal are the bigger club and can provide Champion League football which all top footballers want and yes we haven't won a trophy in while but that was mainly down to stadium debts and not having any funds yet still remaining somewhat competitive.

There's is nothing to suggest giving Wenger money to spend and IF he brings in a Suarez and one or two other quality signings that we wont be challenging for the title again this season, remember we ended last season in terrific form as new players settled in and also remember even though football fans have short memories Wenger is the man who created the Invincible last time he had money to spend.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Dortmund and Lewandowski?

That could be one alright, trouble is I'm not aware how strongly Lewandowski was attempting to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I don't know about that, now I didn't see the friendly in Australia but everything I've read suggested he looked like man who didn't want to be there, even after he set up the goal he didn't celebrate? That sounds like a player forcing the move to me if true.
    Just to clarify: I think that Suarez is currently agitating for a move (how strongly is hard to say) but that should that not materialise then he'll perform on the pitch for Liverpool next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

You will struggle to find goals losing him with sturridge as his replacement, if you do lose him I can't see Liverpool getting any where near top4, hence rodgers being so desperate for him to stay.

They should never have sold Andy Carroll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I've said it a few times over the season Wenger is slowly but surely building another invincibles team ,one of the main things of that team was all the attacking midfielders scored over ten each along with Henry and Bergkamp aswell

Last year Cazorla, Podolski and Walcott all scored over ten , and Giroud scored 14 aswell , add in another 20-25 goals from a top striker and you've got a team who will be well up there challenging on al fronts, Liverpool are a team in transition thats not good enough for a player of suarez's calibre at the moment, maybe in 3-4 years with the patience in rodgers and more players like Couthino and sturridge ye can challenge for the top 4 and beyond but until then stop being so bloody bitter about it , If you could swap places with Arsenal in the morning you would, just because you've got a great history doesn't give ya the right to bitch piss and moan about everything, look at Nottingham Forest they won 2 European Cups in the 70-80s too ..Look where they are now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

50 million or **** off?

Charming.

Worked for Villa with Benteke, albeit not with as high an asking price

I've said it a few times over the season Wenger is slowly but surely building another invincibles team ,one of the main things of that team was all the attacking midfielders scored over ten each along with Henry and Bergkamp aswell

Last year Cazorla, Podolski and Walcott all scored over ten , and Giroud scored 14 aswell , add in another 20-25 goals from a top striker and you've got a team who will be well up there challenging on al fronts, Liverpool are a team in transition thats not good enough for a player of suarez's calibre at the moment, maybe in 3-4 years with the patience in rodgers and more players like Couthino and sturridge ye can challenge for the top 4 and beyond but until then stop being so bloody bitter about it , If you could swap places with Arsenal in the morning you would, just because you've got a great history doesn't give ya the right to bitch piss and moan about everything, look at Nottingham Forest they won 2 European Cups in the 70-80s too ..Look where they are now

They were booed of the field and a large percentage of the arsenal support wanted wenger sacked only 7 or 8 months ago and now he is building a team of invincibles.

I said slowly but surely , those players had to bed in ya know much like Borini and Joe allen are still doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Reports of Suarez getting a few death threats via twitter
    http://sports.ndtv.com/football/leagues/epl/news/211437-liverpool-fc-star-luis-suarez-gets-death-threats-through-twitter

Now I was fairly annoyed at RVP moving last year but I never really considered tracking him down, it takes all sorts i guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

wonga77 wrote: »
    Anfield fans though largely seem to want him to stay on. "If by any chance Liverpool do accept a bid, and you move, I will find you and I will kill you," posted a fan on the players' official account on the micro-blogging site.
    Who knew Liam Neeson was a Liverpool fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

http://sports.ndtv.com/football/leagues/epl/news/211437-liverpool-fc-star-luis-suarez-gets-death-threats-through-twitter

Now I was fairly annoyed at RVP moving last year but I never really considered tracking him down, it takes all sorts i guess

Ah well, that's terrible carry on. As a Liverpool fan I'm very disappointed with the way he's gone about looking for a move this summer, but nobody should be terrorised like that. Before anybody says that Liverpool fans are scum, I'll just say that every club is going to have a few raving lunatics that support them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Anyone that uses Twitter as a yard stick for anything need their head examined.

It's a free for all. A social punch bowl that will have all flavours of character, nuts balls and all.

Any journo that singles out one nut case any uses it against the majority is not worth their title.

Dont get me wrong those that think they are safe behind their keyboard need to be pulled up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ah well, that's terrible carry on. As a Liverpool fan I'm very disappointed with the way he's gone about looking for a move this summer, but nobody should be terrorised like that. Before anybody says that Liverpool fans are scum, every club has a few raving lunatics that support them.

To right, if I remember correctly Van Persie himself received a few last year. Yeh have them at every club.

I'd say those death threats carry a lot of weight. What codeword did they use?

They haven't gone away you know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

rarnes1 wrote: »
    What codeword did they use?

Duncan Jenkins dislikes South Americans

*phone hung-up

a large percentage of the arsenal support wanted wenger sacked.

Absolute bull****.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Absolute bull****.

Have a look back at the "Are arsenal and wenger done" threads and you will find a large percentage thought it was time for him to move on.

That's crazy talk, he's far from perfect but without wenger we'd probably be in the same position as Liverpool!

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Absolute bull****.

A fair few wanted him gone

• Advertisement

As ya said every club has there raving lunatics , I didn't want Wenger gone thats for sure , We'd probaly be ****ed without him altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Have a look back at the "Are arsenal and wenger done" threads and you will find a large percentage thought it was time for him to move on.

It was anything but a large percentage. I would call it more of a small minority who wanted wenger out.

Also, a thread on boards isn't an accurate measure of the opinion of all arsenal supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ah well, that's terrible carry on. As a Liverpool fan I'm very disappointed with the way he's gone about looking for a move this summer, but nobody should be terrorised like that. Before anybody says that Liverpool fans are scum, I'll just say that every club is going to have a few raving lunatics that support them.

The majority of LFC fans I know are extremely sound unlike supporters of other clubs I know who I won't mention ;) I miss the good old days of our rivalry in the 80's and early 90's. I am extremely sorry that Arsenal are putting LFC fans through similar grief that we felt last year with the Dutch git. Then again if like united it delivers us the league I can live with the shame ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

gandalf wrote: »
    The majority of LFC fans I know are extremely sound unlike supporters of other clubs I know who I won't mention ;) I miss the good old days of our rivalry in the 80's and early 90's. I am extremely sorry that Arsenal are putting LFC fans through similar grief that we felt last year with the Dutch git. Then again if like united it delivers us the league I can live with the shame ;)

You heartless b*stard. You open the door to let him come in out of the rain, then u shut the door in his face!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

LFC are nuts not to take the £40m and run. Suarez is more trouble than his goals are worth.

If he stays in the Premier League his next mentalist episode will land him with a record ban.

The majority of LFC fans I know are extremely sound unlike supporters of other clubs I know who I won't mention
    That's a fairly ridiculous comment if ever I heard one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

rarnes1 wrote: »
    A fair few wanted him gone

Yeah it's true.

But a fair few Utd fans declared Old Red Nose past it and called for his retirement from time to time.

But even to give the Wenger out brigade dues, it wasn't Wenger they had a problem as much as Wengerball.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

You can't please everyone and it's as simple as that. Every man to his own. One man's happiness is another man's sorrow, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Zico wrote: »
    LFC are nuts not to take the £40m and run. Suarez is more trouble than his goals are worth.

If he stays in the Premier League his next mentalist episode will land him with a record ban.

Honestly, the only reason I don't want to take the £40m for him is because we can't attract any decent players to adequately replace him.

If on the other hand I was Real Madrid or another club who can pick and choose who they want, I'd not be happy about handing £40m over for a guy who is such a loose canon. I can only assume the reason that Wenger is so determined to get him is because he feels he's the only world class striker he's in with a chance of landing at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

That's a fairly ridiculous comment if ever I heard one.

How is it ridiculous my interaction with this group of supporters has been largely negative unlike the majority of other teams fans I have met. Maybe I have been unlucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Honestly, the only reason I don't want to take the £40m for him is because we can't attract any decent players to adequately replace him.

If on the other hand I was Real Madrid or another club who can pick and choose who they want, I'd not be happy about handing £40m over for a guy who is such a loose canon. I can only assume the reason that Wenger is so determined to get him is because he feels he's the only world class striker he's in with a chance of landing at this stage.

Besides Higuain he's probably the only world class striker that money can buy for a normal club. I personally find it out of character for Wenger to go for this sort of player but i'd still be delighted if we signed him. The board have done enough penny counting over the last 8 years to allow the fans this one ludicrous expenditure. We still need a few other players but this would be a great way to kick it off, even at £40m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

To Chelsea on deadline day.

How is it ridiculous my interaction with this group of supporters has been largely negative unlike the majority of other teams fans I have met. Maybe I have been unlucky.
    It's a bit ridiculous to imply that supporting a certain club has an effect on someone's personality. It is entirely coincidental if the arseholes you know support the same club.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

And if Liverpool are so close to Arsenal how many of you're players would get in our team at the moment , Suarez, a younger Gerrard and possibly Agger thats it
    Mignolet, glen johnson, coutinho, sturridge would all have a shout. If I was to pick a combined team
    Mignolet
    johnson koseilny agger gibbs
    arteta gerrard
    cazorla
    walcott sturridge suarez
    Wilshire and coutinho feeling most hard done by.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

If Suarez wants to leave Liverpool in order to win major trophies then Arsenal is perhaps the worst choice he could make

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

If Suarez wants to leave Liverpool in order to win major trophies then Arsenal is perhaps the worst choice he could make

Wow such great input,

Personally I would go with wolves.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

If footballers were all about winning trophies then they'd all get together and form a new club, for significantly less wages and win everything put before them.

Most world-class players think they can influence any team to win games - they think that they make the difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Hyzepher wrote: »
    If footballers were all about winning trophies then they'd all get together and form a new club, for significantly less wages and win everything put before them.

Most world-class players think they can influence any team to win games - they think that they make the difference

A point many seem to miss is that Suarez would be looking at the potential for Arsenal + Suarez to win trophies, there's a fairly big difference.

AdamD wrote: »
    A point many seem to miss is that Suarez would be looking at the potential for Arsenal + Suarez to win trophies, there's a fairly big difference.

Does Suarez want to go to Arsenal though? Once Madrid come in he'll be off.
    I can't see Arsenal winning the league even with Suarez. Maybe an FA cup or Carling cup. Champions league anything can happen I guess but it'd be an outside chance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Yeah Arsenal might not be a sure bet to win stuff but the reality is Suarez is far above Liverpools level. That's not even being harsh on Liverpool, its just facts, Arsenal is a step, or two up for Suarez which a player like him deserves.

Advertisement