Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Summer's Transfer Saga: Suarez to Arsenal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Does Suarez want to go to Arsenal though? Once Madrid come in he'll be off.
    I can't see Arsenal winning the league even with Suarez. Maybe an FA cup or Carling cup. Champions league anything can happen I guess but it'd be an outside chance

We'd certainly be closer than we were last season. And with another couple of additions, who knows ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Close this thread he wont be going to arsenal

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

It won't be enough, I expect it'll be £45m maximum. If we want to wrap this up before Real come lurking then we need to go £50m or much as it makes my eyes water, £50m + £5m add-ons. Liverpool won't accept less. Should've just signed Higuain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

It won't be enough, I expect it'll be £45m maximum. If we want to wrap this up before Real come lurking then we need to go £50m or much as it makes my eyes water, £50m + £5m add-ons. Liverpool won't accept less. Should've just signed Higuain.

Can't see Real sinking £55m for him though, and as much as I want Suarez i'd feel fairly ripped off for £55m considering his disciplinary record and the fact that he's missing the first six games.

If RM take a punt at him for £55m we're screwed for a striker but i would accept that for once we were actually out of our depth, we should have never lost out to Napoli on Higuain but that's a different matter altogether.

• Advertisement

Can't see Real sinking £55m for him though, and as much as I want Suarez i'd feel fairly ripped off for £55m considering his disciplinary record and the fact that he's missing the first six games.

If RM take a punt at him for £55m we're screwed for a striker but i would accept that for once we were actually out of our depth, we should have never lost out to Napoli on Higuain but that's a different matter altogether.

Real won't have to. I expect Liverpool would/will sell to Real for £10m or so less than what they would reject for an Arsenal offer. Similar to how Arsenal would have accepted a low figure for RVP from Juventus than Man Utd last summer.

Unless Suarez kicks up a fuss or Arsenal decide to be completely ripped off, I can't see this move happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Close this thread he wont be going to arsenal

I wasn't convinced before but now I am , The lack of success has made ye all completly paranoid , I suppose the air isn't as fresh down there in midtable :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I wasn't convinced before but now I am , The lack of success has made ye all completly paranoid , I suppose the air isn't as fresh down there in midtable :rolleyes:

Lack of Success ? Thats rich from an Arsenal fan it has been 8 years since you won a trophy :pac:

Ben 20 plus since you won a title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ben 20 plus since you won a title

Yup, just had to make do with winning every other available trophy since then.

The point anyway was that while Suarez is certainly above Liverpool's level, he's also above Arsenal's. The next step he'll want to take is to a club who win trophy's regularly, and are likely to win again while he's there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yup, just had to make do with winning every other available trophy since then.

The point anyway was that while Suarez is certainly above Liverpool's level, he's also above Arsenal's. The next step he'll want to take is to a club who win trophy's regularly, and are likely to win again while he's there.

Who knows, maybe he wants to bring Arsenal to that level that we are aspiring to.

greendom wrote: »
    Who knows, maybe he wants to bring Arsenal to that level that we are aspiring to.

Perhaps, but that seems an awfully similar project to what Liverpool have. Granted, Arsenal are a step ahead in this regard, but i think it's somewhat telling that the clubs he name-checked as what he wants are top tier ones.

I think, like most footballers, he wants to be at one of the major heavyweights, and views every club until then as a stepping stone. I think the question for him will be "what gets me there sooner". If he thinks two or so years with Arsenal in the champions league will get it for him, he might push for it. Otherwise, if he thinks another season with a stronger Liverpool side will be enough to get him the move next summer (or even January), he'll stay. Short term pain for long term gain as it were. I do think that he does genuinely want out of England if possible, as a side wish though. Spain definitely being the ideal, with Sofia's family all being there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Mignolet, glen johnson, coutinho, sturridge would all have a shout. If I was to pick a combined team
    Mignolet
    johnson koseilny agger gibbs
    arteta gerrard
    cazorla
    walcott sturridge suarez
    Wilshire and coutinho feeling most hard done by.

You have to be joking? Mignolet maybe. Scez had a dip in form which he got dropped for but when he returned was immense and has huge potential to be one of the best.

Johnson not a hope over Sagna or Jenkinson would I have him Liverpool were robbed for him.

Agger over Merts and Kos partnership which helped form the second best defence in league no way.

Gerrard in his prime all day long would walk into most teams but now over Wilshere never.

Sturridge I'm not so sure Giroud had a good debut season despite what the press like to report. I'd take Giroud personally.

Suarez yes not many teams he woudn't be a starter in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Am I the only one who is hugely irritated by the use of the word "project" in relation to football teams? It's an excuse for underperforming teams and justification for the megabuck clubs for their outrageous spending.

Ultimately Liverpool are miles behind Arsenal in both personnel and finances atm and anyone who thinks that they are of a similar standing is deluding themselves.

You have to be joking? Mignolet maybe. Scez had a dip in form which he got dropped for but when he returned was immense and has huge potential to be one of the best.

Johnson not a hope over Sagna or Jenkinson would I have him Liverpool were robbed for him.

Agger over Merts and Kos partnership which helped form the second best defence in league no way.

Gerrard in his prime all day long would walk into most teams but now over Wilshere never.

Sturridge I'm not so sure Giroud had a good debut season despite what the press like to report. I'd take Giroud personally.

A lot of something like this is of course down to personal opinion.
    I really like Sagna, but I adore Johnson. He looks at fault at times, but often as not it's because he's doing the job of 3 players - playing right back, providing most of the attacking impetus on the right side, and covering for errant or sluggish defending at RCB.

While the Kos and Mert partnership did well, I agree that it would be improved by swapping Mert for Agger. Gives you more pace at the back, and more options for how you play, both defensively and offensively, with only a slight drawback in physical attributes.

Very hard to pick Giroud over Sturridge imo when you look at their respective time at their current clubs. Giroud has a respectable 11 goals and 3 assists in 34 league appearances for Arsenal. Sturridge has 10 goals and 3 assists in 14 league appearances.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    A lot of something like this is of course down to personal opinion.
    I really like Sagna, but I adore Johnson. He looks at fault at times, but often as not it's because he's doing the job of 3 players - playing right back, providing most of the attacking impetus on the right side, and covering for errant or sluggish defending at RCB.

While the Kos and Mert partnership did well, I agree that it would be improved by swapping Mert for Agger. Gives you more pace at the back, and more options for how you play, both defensively and offensively, with only a slight drawback in physical attributes.

Very hard to pick Giroud over Sturridge imo when you look at their respective time at their current clubs. Giroud has a respectable 11 goals and 3 assists in 34 league appearances for Arsenal. Sturridge has 10 goals and 3 assists in 14 league appearances.

Very true a lot of it is down to personal opinion and could go back and forth endlessly debating it when it comes to personal opinion.

My reason for picking Giroud over Sturridge despite his impressive stats is I feel Giroud is more of a team player and I think he will improve this season having settled in the EPL but that one is debatable certainly.

As for Kos and Merts I think it's a partnership that works very well so wouldn't mess with it.

As for Kos and Merts I think it's a partnership that works very well so wouldn't mess with it.

I think to test the Agger Kos partnership, you guys should send him over for a season and see how he gets on. For Science :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

need to take your arsenal tinted glasses off there pal. Your keepers are inconsistent szseney was dropped last year mignolet is far less error prone. Saga was excellent before injury but is a shadow of himself now. Johnson is englands rb Jenkins would be about Fifth choice for that position.Gerrard englands capt would definetly be in the team and if it came to him over wilshire who has about 50 carrer games there's only one choice.I picked arteta to give the midfield a bit of balance obviously gerrard and wilshire are better than arteta .Giround looks awkward to me.Anyway what it highlights is that even with that combined team it wouldn't compete with the top 3 so imo suarez would be mad to sign for arsenal.

Everyone seems to just assume that everything is status quo; I would have thought Arsenal bidding £40m would make people reassess but I guess until the club makes the signing it's too tempting to put on the tin foil hat.

The financial landscape is changing. Chelsea and City are throttling back for FFP, just as Arsenal are making a financial leap as big as when they moved to the Emirates Stadium, but this time without the debt. The old rulebook likely won't apply anymore.

As an aside, it's amazing how Arsenal regularly finish above Liverpool with inferior players...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

need to take your arsenal tinted glasses off there pal. Your keepers are inconsistent szseney was dropped last year mignolet is far less error prone. Saga was excellent before injury but is a shadow of himself now. Johnson is englands rb Jenkins would be about Fifth choice for that position.Gerrard englands capt would definetly be in the team and if it came to him over wilshire who has about 50 carrer games there's only one choice.I picked area to give the midfield a bit of balance.Giround looks awkward to me.Anyway what it highlights is that even with that combined team it wouldn't compete with the top 3 so imo suarez would be mad to sign for arsenal.
    Hmmmm...

These combined teams are a waste of time. The Liverpool/United ones used to be hilarious in fairness. It's amazing how many people could squeeze 6 Liverpool players into them.

need to take your arsenal tinted glasses off there pal. Your keepers are inconsistent szseney was dropped last year mignolet is far less error prone. Saga was excellent before injury but is a shadow of himself now. Johnson is englands rb Jenkins would be about Fifth choice for that position.Gerrard englands capt would definetly be in the team and if it came to him over wilshire who has about 50 carrer games there's only one choice.I picked arteta to give the midfield a bit of balance obviously gerrard and wilshire are better than arteta .Giround looks awkward to me.Anyway what it highlights is that even with that combined team it wouldn't compete with the top 3 so imo suarez would be mad to sign for arsenal.

Adding to what everyone else has already said, yeh he would be mad to sign for a club on the up if they make one or two signings, a bigger club with more financial clout who can give him Champion League football, than to stay with a club who have consistently finished outside of the top 4 places now for a number of seasons who show no real signs of even fighting for top 4 next season never mind titles. I like Liverpool but statements like that are ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The word is that a pair of welding goggles will be included in the deal so Arsene can continue to claim to "not see" the sh!te that Suarez gets up to on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

As an aside, it's amazing how Arsenal regularly finish above Liverpool with inferior players...

Well you do have a brilliant manager in charge. I don't think arsenal fans appreciate this as much as they should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

zerks wrote: »
    The word is that a pair of welding goggles will be included in the deal so Arsene can continue to claim to "not see" the sh!te that Suarez gets up to on the pitch.

Hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well you do have a brilliant manager in charge. I don't think arsenal fans appreciate this as much as they should.

Arsenal also have better players.

That post is appalling.

Let's not kid ourselves. Arsenal have a better team, squad and manager than Liverpool atm.

However, the gulf between the two isn't as vast as many make out. A 12 point difference last season was hardly massive, particularly when Liverpool had a new manager come in etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

That must be why liverpool always finish so far ahead of arsenal then, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Let's not kid ourselves. Arsenal have a better team, squad and manager than Liverpool atm.

However, the gulf between the two isn't as vast as many make out. A 12 point difference last season was hardly massive, particularly when Liverpool had a new manager come in etc.

Well then they only finished 14 points behind Chelsea too! Seems people forget that Chelsea have been very poor in the league the last two seasons, yet everyone assumes that they going to be challenging for the title next season. The league table doesn't lie at the end of the day. (Before anyone mentions it, I'm well aware that Chelsea won the Champions League and Europa league in that time) I'm just going by league performance.

COYVB wrote: »
    That must be why liverpool always finish so far ahead of arsenal then, is it?

It's not always about the players. If wenger was in charge of that liverpool squad I think they would finish ahead of arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

It's not always about the players. If wenger was in charge of that liverpool squad I think they would finish ahead of arsenal.

Wenger has done an average job at Arsenal over the last few years, nothing more, nothing less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Blatter wrote: »
    Wenger has done an average job at Arsenal over the last few years, nothing more, nothing less.

Completely disagree with that. Every year Arsenal have lost a big star and Wenger still has his side in the top 4 and doing reasonably well in the CL. Arsenal have lost Nasri, Fabregas, van Persie, Adebayor, Song, Toure etc. recently who were all key players when they left. He's been excellent IMO.

Completely disagree with that. Every year Arsenal have lost a big star and Wenger still has his side in the top 4 and doing reasonably well in the CL. Arsenal have lost Nasri, Fabregas, van Persie, Adebayor, Song, Toure etc. recently who were all key players when they left. He's been excellent IMO.

He's still been left with a squads very capable of finishing top 4 each year those players left.

He's brought a lot of players to the club that have been on wages that in now way reflect their ability. As I've said, he's done an acceptable job but could have done a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

He's still been left with a squads very capable of finishing top 4 each year those players left.

He's brought a lot of players to the club that have been on wages that in now way reflect their ability. As I've said, he's done an acceptable job but could have done a lot better.

He's actually been pretty good and better than most managers.

You just have a crap frame of reference having been spoilt with Fergie for so long.

• Advertisement

Every manager has done that.

Brendan did it with Joe Allen and Boroni. Kenny, well, lets not go there.

Fergie: Veron, Djemba Djemba, Liam Miller, Anderson, etc.

Every manager makes transfer errors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

meriwether wrote: »
    Every manager has done that.

Brendan did it with Joe Allen and Boroni. Kenny, well, lets not go there.

Fergie: Veron, Djemba Djemba, Liam Miller, Anderson, etc.

Every manager makes transfer errors.

True but strangely enough Wengers flops very rarely get brought up.

Who Francis Jeffers ? Richard Wright ? Andre Santos ? Park Chu Young I could go on but i'd rather not think of them lol , Wenger has made more right than wrong descions though

Leiva wrote: »
    True but strangely enough Wengers flops very rarely get brought up.

Would that be because every manager buys flops and as such its a given and not really worthy of discussion?

Who Francis Jeffers ? Richard Wright ? Andre Santos ? Park Chu Young I could go on but i'd rather not think of them lol , Wenger has made more right than wrong descions though

If you think of all the young players scouted and brought into Arsenal over the years who never made it, and are therefore flops, there must be dozens and dozens.

Aint no thing though. Himself and Ferguson are the two best judges of talent in the Premiership years. One Cesc is worth putting up with ten Paulo Vernazzas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Would that be because every manager buys flops and as such its a given and not really worthy of discussion?

Oh I agree and I'm sure you have read pages upon pages of Micky waving about 'youre flops are worst than ours' yet the same discussions never involve Wengers.

Unless your a former Spanish manager of course.

Leiva wrote: »
    Oh I agree and I'm sure you have read pages upon pages of Micky waving about 'youre flops are worst than ours' yet the same discussions never involve Wengers.

I think the rather small transfer fees involved mitigate things somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Unless your a former Spanish manager of course.
    As in used to manage Spain or used to be Spanish?

gosplan wrote: »
    He's actually been pretty good and better than most managers.

You just have a crap frame of reference having been spoilt with Fergie for so long.

Not really.

If you look at the value for money the likes of Juve and Dortmund have gotten, Wenger's spending has been average.

As in used to manage Spain or used to be Spanish?

Touché

Not really.

If you look at the value for money the likes of Juve and Dortmund have gotten, Wenger's spending has been average.

What about his ability to get the best of the sides he managing. I think maybe bar ferguson any other manager managing in the premiership would have at least once failed to get arsenal into the champions league in the last few years.

What about his ability to get the best of the sides he managing. I think maybe bar ferguson any other manager managing in the premiership would have at least once failed to get arsenal into the champions league in the last few years.

Not if those managers actually spent the money that was available to them.

He's a very good manager but he just hasn't done a very good job over the last few years.

Spurs are on a very similar level to them, yet they've spent much less.

He's a very good manager but he just hasn't done a very good job over the last few years.

Spurs are on a very similar level to them, yet they've spent much less.

Really?

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/transfer-league-table-last-five-seasons.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement