Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Summer's Transfer Saga: Suarez to Arsenal?

Comments

CSF wrote: »
    You could say that about anyone though. Without the slightest indication of interest, it is reasonable to assume that there is none until such indication arises. I mean, we knew Real were interested in Bale before a bid was made.

You do get my point about waiting a while though? Clubs might not want to get into a bidding war either.

I don't think many clubs will be interested as only a certain number of clubs can afford to buy him and most of those are ok for strikers. Arsenal and Madrid will probably end up being the only 2. If it's just Arsenal I'd be surprised if he went there unless it's insane money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Have Arsenal signed anyone yet?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Fcuk ya me heart :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Seriously are you kidding? There's little or no interest in him apart from arsenal which says a lot.

DARK-KNIGHT strikes again with another corker :D

We will see.

Bookmark all you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

55/60 million pounds?? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously are you kidding? There's little or no interest in him apart from arsenal which says a lot. If Liverpool have any sense take that 40 million and be glad of it

Or, you know, not sell him and keep the best striker in the league at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Or, you know, not sell him and keep the best striker in the league at Anfield.

While it could be argued I dont think this is a fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I was actually half disappointed when I clicked that. I think if we got ~£50m from a foreign team we'd be better off selling him. If there were going to be no more problems in the future I'd prefer to keep him, of course. But it's almost certain we're going to have a similar next saga next summer (if he stays), and we'll be in a much weaker position then. I'd prefer to get it over and done with this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

djPSB wrote: »

Has Manchester Utd? Will Spurs get a striker? Can Chelsea bag another forward? Will Liverpool? So many fans of bigger sides waiting for something/anything at the moment.

Whoops wrong thread :o Never mind point stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭CSF

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You do get my point about waiting a while though? Clubs might not want to get into a bidding war either.

I don't think many clubs will be interested as only a certain number of clubs can afford to buy him and most of those are ok for strikers. Arsenal and Madrid will probably end up being the only 2. If it's just Arsenal I'd be surprised if he went there unless it's insane money.
    Typically saying nothing isn't Real's way of doing business. I thoroughly believe that if Real wanted Suarez you would have Suker, Mijatovic and even the ****in laundry woman in the media talking about how great Suarez is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

CSF wrote: »
    Typically saying nothing isn't Real's way of doing business. I thoroughly believe that if Real wanted Suarez you would have Suker, Mijatovic and even the ****in laundry woman in the media talking about how great Suarez is.

I kind of agree with this.

Suarez is clearly angling for a move. If Resl wanted him, they'd be in the process of stirring it up so much sh1t that Liverpool would eventually have to accept some sh1tty lowball bid.

Hopefully you are right and Real have no interest, as I can't see Arsenal stumping up the cash :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

djPSB wrote: »

http://www.havearsenalspentanymoneyyet.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Hopefully you are right and Real have no interest, as I can't see Arsenal stumping up the cash :)

I wouldn't be so sure. They'll probably have to imo even if he is overpriced. They came out with the statement that they now have a war chest and can compete for the top players and can afford their wages (Rooney comment). After years of negative spending and no silverware the fans are growing impatient. It won't go down well if they don't bring in a marquee signing and there are not too many available now.

jester77 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure. They'll probably have to imo even if he is overpriced. They came out with the statement that they now have a war chest and can compete for the top players and can afford their wages (Rooney comment). After years of negative spending and no silverware the fans are growing impatient. It won't go down well if they don't bring in a marquee signing and there are not too many available now.

What they should say is we could afford any player, but we can't really.

bump. Stop polluting the main threads stick in quarantine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I wrote this about a week ago attwg think its better suited here.
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    So far this window has thought me that dealing with both Madrid and Liverpool is a complete circus and that I hope we don't have to do any more dealings with them in the considerable future.

But on to the suarez affair, you can see why this bid has hurt Liverpool fans and why they've posted so much crap about arsenal recently like its not a real bid or it was just to sell season tickets. They like to think that the top 3 is cement and that they're a slight level below that with us, but just like the Rvp bid for us was a realisation that we're no longer a title competing side (although it was six plus years in the making so it was easier to take) this bid is a realisation of how mid table and just how far Liverpool are actually behind arsenal.

If the twelve point gap wasn't a good indication all you have to do is look at the players, take for example ramsey, arsenals worst starter, now if you compare him to regular starters for Liverpool he is considerably better than Allen, henderson, downing and marginally better than Lucas. So basically, that's arsenals worst player is better than 40 percent of Liverpools outfield players. Huge difference in squad quality.

But I can't see arsenal going over 40 million for suarez and no doubt pool fans will consider this a mini victory. In my opinion arsenal would be right not to go over 40m, suarez has just had one exceptional season in a top flight league, just one. If this was his second or third season producing that type of form then yes he's worth the 50 million, but right now he's not. And not to mention the 'Luis suarez' factor too, this is a guy that's infamous for cheating, diving, stamping, hair pulling as well a biting and racial abuse, things that pool fans wrongly play of as a 'will to win', biting stamping etc isn't winning a game at any cost just like stamping and eye gauging isn't a will to win in rugby, its just tugish behaviour, plain and simple and I as a fan would not like to see a player playing for my team do these type of things.

Of course id like to have of a guy of his talent but do I want suarez, the simple answer Is not really especially for 40 plus million.

So who should Arsenal buy? There's no-one left that is anywhere near the quality of Suarez.

This summer Arsenal have had the chance to buy

Gameiro
    Gomez
    Kokorin
    Falcao (okay not really)
    Cavani (see above)
    Aubameyang
    Higuain
    Tevez
    Soldado
    Negredo
    Costa
    Martinez

Only the bottom two are still 'in play'

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »

Gameiro
    Gomez
    Kokorin
    Falcao (okay not really)
    Cavani (see above)
    Aubameyang
    Higuain
    Tevez
    Soldado
    Negredo
    Costa
    Martinez

Don't forget Jovetic and Villa.

Villa is at Atletico, Jovetic is still out there, that's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Still out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Gameiro
    Gomez
    Kokorin
    Falcao (okay not really)
    Cavani (see above)
    Aubameyang
    Higuain
    Tevez
    Soldado
    Negredo
    Costa
    Martinez

You could make a list like that for any club in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Em, Jovetic plays for Man City.

Whoops! (:o) Hardly take any notice of City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Imo Lucas would walk into the Arsenal team and would add a lot to what you don't have:

---Arteta----Lucas---

Wilshere

With Cazorla accommodated out wide.

Lucas maybe wasn't at his best last season but he still was the best tackler in the whole league. He would add steel to the middle that Arsenal don't have.

I reckon he would have a part to play at any team in the Premier League.

To suggest Ramsey is better than him is laughable. Different positions, different roles and different skill sets, but Lucas is far more more accomplished at what he does than Ramsey.

We'll see next year what the gap is. If Suarez stays at Liverpool than I would be surprised if it's as large as 12 points. We have a lot of room for improvement after a horrendous start and a period where our squad was left very short.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Morzadec wrote: »
    Imo Lucas would walk into the Arsenal team and would add a lot to what you don't have:

---Arteta----Lucas---

Wilshere

With Cazorla accommodated out wide.

Lucas maybe wasn't at his best last season but he still was the best tackler in the whole league. He would add steel to the middle that Arsenal don't have.

I reckon he would have a part to play at any team in the Premier League.

To suggest Ramsey is better than him is laughable. Different positions, different roles and different skill sets, but Lucas is far more more accomplished at what he does than Ramsey.

We'll see next year what the gap is. If Suarez stays at Liverpool than I would be surprised if it's as large as 12 points. We have a lot of room for improvement after a horrendous start and a period where our squad was left very short.

But you've 6 games wihout Suarez regardless. Could be catch up by November already.

Pudders wrote: »
    But you've 6 games wihout Suarez regardless. Could be catch up by November already.

5 league games. Still quite a few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Pudders wrote: »

5 and a cup game i think, those 5 games include stoke,villa man utd, swansea and southampton. Handy enough really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

well with villas new look team playing well together pre season.. handy enough isnt a term i would use:-p

• Advertisement

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    well with villas new look team playing well together pre season.. handy enough isnt a term i would use:-p

Handy enough ourselves so far ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Bumpidy bump...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/06/luis-suarez-liverpool-arsenal-transfer?CMP=twt_gu
    "They gave me their word a year ago and now I want them to honour that. And it is not just something verbal with the coach but something that is written in the contract. I'm not going to another club to hurt Liverpool."

Interesting part in bold.

Three threads all obsessing about the same little so and so!

Anyway its about time for Real Madrid to swoop for Suarez - they'll low ball and Liverpool will hurrmph for a few days, maybe a week and squeeze another few million out of them (or a player they don't have any use for) and a deal will be done.

38 million is my guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Three threads all obsessing about the same little so and so!

Anyway its about time for Real Madrid to swoop for Suarez - they'll low ball and Liverpool will hurrmph for a few days, maybe a week and squeeze another few million out of them (or a player they don't have any use for) and a deal will be done.

38 million is my guess.

But they want Bale and surely can't have both!

It's looking more and more likely that Arsenal is his only destination.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

They wont sell to Arsenal so its up to another team (non prem) to make an offer. Otherwise id let the prick rot on the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

My main interest at this stage is watching Mike65s reaction if Arsenal do sign him.

It would be worth it for that alone.

Blatter wrote: »
    But they want Bale and surely can't have both!

It's looking more and more likely that Arsenal is his only destination.

Real do not care about FFP.

They wont sell to Arsenal so its up to another team (non prem) to make an offer. Otherwise id let the prick rot on the bench

Don't think LFC can afford to let a £40m asset on £100k/week rot in the reserves. Think it' unrealistic thinking. He'll either stay at LFC and play or (most likely) get his move.
    Real do not care about FFP.

Maybe not, but that doesn't mean they'll go around buying every player. I'd be very surprised if they signed both Bale and Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

In fairness us Arsenal fans thought the exact same and said the exact same about RVP ;). I feel your pain.

Money talks in football and as of right now Arsenal are the only club to have made a bid he will be sold have no elusions of him being left to rot on the bench.

Arsenal do need to act quick before a more attractive option comes along though imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Maybe not, but that doesn't mean they'll go around buying every player. I'd be very surprised if they signed both Bale and Suarez.

Exactly unless the Bale transfer goes belly up I can't see Real going in for him and that is looking very unlikely to happen.

• Advertisement

meriwether wrote: »
    My main interest at this stage is watching Mike65s reaction if Arsenal do sign him.

It would be worth it for that alone.

You'll be disappointed in truth, as Tracy on the estate would say "he ain't worth it Darren!" The only thing I'd hope for is him joining just as Arsenal stumble in CL qualification. That would be funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Morzadec wrote: »

Liverpool fans are forgetting one thing - Suarez is banned for the first six games of the season. If Liverpool are not first or second in the league after the six games, will Suarez be interested?

He would be better off sitting in the reserves, making sure he doesn't get injured and move to a Champions League club on 1 January for say €25m as his value will drop in that scenario. That could still be Arsenal.

For Liverpool, taking the best offer is the sensible option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

You'll be disappointed in truth, as Tracy on the estate would say "he ain't worth it Darren!" The only thing I'd hope for is him joining just as Arsenal stumble in CL qualification. That would be funny.

the more games arsenal are involved in the better for l'pools' chances of catching them, no?

they're away from home after all 6 group stage games too i think

batistuta9 wrote: »
    the more games arsenal are involved in the better for l'pools' chances of catching them, no?

they're away from home after all 6 group stage games too i think

That's true but I was thinking about Suarez bleating about playing in the CL, something so important to him suddenly.

I think sky sports are going to have to break out the transfer gimp early this summer, this could be a long one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

That's true but I was thinking about Suarez bleating about playing in the CL, something so important to him suddenly.

it would be great from an l'pool fans point of view alright :pac:

i was hoping man u would win nothing last year after v.persie went there, after his statement but it never happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The problem for Pool is that while taking the money is the best thing to do, they won't get another Suarez ability wise and it'll be very hard to attract players of genuine quality without Champions League football. Having the cash is only alf the battle.

It was only a few years ago that City were signing the likes of Santa Cruz, Bridge and other mercenaries because that's all they could get. If Liverpool do get a Suarez-generated war chest, it could very well end up as something similar. If not that, then a load of no name young lads and Kevin Nolan style journeyman.

Selling to Arsenal would only rub salt into the wounds as well, he has to go abroad for me.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The problem for Pool is that while taking the money is the best thing to do, they won't get another Suarez ability wise and it'll be very hard to attract players of genuine quality without Champions League football. Having the cash is only alf the battle.

It was only a few years ago that City were signing the likes of Santa Cruz, Bridge and other mercenaries because that's all they could get. If Liverpool do get a Suarez-generated war chest, it could very well end up as something similar. If not that, then a load of no name young lads and Kevin Nolan style journeyman.

Selling to Arsenal would only rub salt into the wounds as well, he has to go abroad for me.

Or they could take their time with signings and bring in players like Sturridge, Coutinho etc over a few windows. Even look at Juve, a few years ago they were in Serie B and in turmoil. They slowly but surely made their way back to the top without being bankrolled with unlimited funds.

Your comparison isn't great because 1) City were below Liverpool's current standing when the Sheikh came 2) City were retarded with their money in the first couple of seasons they had it and 3) Did I mention how retarded City were with their money? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Real signing Bale and Suarez would be nothing to them.

Bergkamp's fee to Arsenal was 35% of their turnover. Bale @100M would be 20% of Real Madrid's turnover. Considering the financial power that some clubs have now £100M is not that big of a deal.

Also FFP won't mean sh1t until Platini can move away from his Qatari buddies dominating French football. FFP is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Or they could take their time with signings and bring in players like Sturridge, Coutinho etc over a few windows. Even look at Juve, a few years ago they were in Serie B and in turmoil. They slowly but surely made their way back to the top without being bankrolled with unlimited funds.

Your comparison isn't great because 1) City were below Liverpool's current standing when the Sheikh came 2) City were retarded with their money in the first couple of seasons they had it and 3) Did I mention how retarded City were with their money? :pac:

Your way is the sensible way but I don't think it's realistic. It's essentially taking backwards steps (lose Suarez, use a few windows) in the hope of eventually moving forwards.

How much more does the gap grow by in that period? The top four from last season plus Spurs who are doing great things so far will be streets ahead. Well, even more streets ahead.

City were retarded with their money but ultimately got where they need to be, and need is the operative word.

Advertisement