Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Summer's Transfer Saga: Suarez to Arsenal?

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Your way is the sensible way but I don't think it's realistic. It's essentially taking backwards steps (lose Suarez, use a few windows) in the hope of eventually moving forwards.

How much more does the gap grow by in that period? The top four from last season plus Spurs who are doing great things so far will be streets ahead. Well, even more streets ahead.

City were retarded with their money but ultimately got where they need to be, and need is the operative word.

City were able to afford to do what they did, think ye would have had a much more long term and sensible plan at the time if ye didn't have unlimited funds (but just had a chunk of cash).

It's hard on Liverpool but they just have to keep believing that they'll pull a few more Coutinhos/Sturridges etc. out of the hat and/or hope that a few of their young players (Sterling, Suso etc.) make the big time.

Juventus were in Serie B and in turmoil not so long ago and have made their way back with some prudent purchases and good financial planning. Look where Dortmund are today in comparison to where they were 2006-2010 (finished 7th, 9th, 13th, 6th, 5th in Bundesliga).

It is more difficult to make progress in the PL such is the competition, but it can be done from Liverpool's level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Blatter wrote: »
    City were able to afford to do what they did, think ye would have had a much more long term and sensible plan at the time if ye didn't have unlimited funds (but just had a chunk of cash).

It's hard on Liverpool but they just have to keep believing that they'll pull a few more Coutinhos/Sturridges etc. out of the hat and/or hope that a few of their young players (Sterling, Suso etc.) make the big time.

Juventus were in Serie B and in turmoil not so long ago and have made their way back with some prudent purchases and good financial planning. Look where Dortmund are today in comparison to where they were 2006-2010 (finished 7th, 9th, 13th, 6th, 5th in Bundesliga).

It is more difficult to make progress in the PL such is the competition, but it can be done from Liverpool's level.

The better comparison is the Arsenal model. In the Champions League every year, promoting younger players, the young talent joined them to play in the Champions League. Every year they sold someone - Vieira, Henry, Hleb, Nasri, Fabrgas, Van Persie etc. - but eventually because of the big stadium they generated the revenue.

The problem for Liverpool is twofold:

(1) No Champions League now or for the foreseeable future.
    (2) No stadium to bring in the revenue

It gets worse, they can't pay wages over the odds. If they don't make CL this season, will it be Sturridge to Utd? Coutinho to Chelsea? Lucas to Man City?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

The lack of a new stadium is a big killer for them alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Blatter wrote: »

Again, your way is the right way and I agree with you.

For every Coutinho though there could be an Adam or a Downing or a Poulsen and the diamonds will only be found sporadically. As we're seeing, Anfield is a bit of a revolving door for top talent these days so having a good bunch at the same time is going to be very difficult to attain.

It can be done, and the examples are there as you say, I just don't think the PL is the place for it.

Spurs have done it to an extent, though haven't as yet sustained regular Champions League qualification.

How many teams are realistically ahead of Liverpool right now? Five at least, possibly six or seven. With four places up for grabs it's going to take something massive for anyone below Spurs to get one in the few seasons, especially if they adopt the slow and steady approach.

I guess the direction will come from the top and if the owners see Champions League qualification in the same way prospective signings do then they'll have to spend a bit.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

You have to trust your scouts (and hope that they're good). Selling a key player is going to be a set-back but you sell at a profit and reinvest in the next wave. Next time you buy two promising young players, and when you sell them, you can buy four, etc.

Of course, very few fans can accept taking one step back to (later) make two steps forward. Spending money (now) that they don't have is generally more preferable, because they're just fans; they don't see the money, they're not accountable for it and ultimately if it all goes tits up, they can always blame the management for acting recklessly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You have to trust your scouts (and hope that they're good). Selling a key player is going to be a set-back but you sell at a profit and reinvest in the next wave. Next time you buy two promising young players, and when you sell them, you can buy four, etc.

Of course, very few fans can accept taking one step back to (later) make two steps forward. Spending money (now) that they don't have is generally more preferable, because they're just fans; they don't see the money, they're not accountable for it and ultimately if it all goes tits up, they can always blame the management for acting recklessly.

Every time I bring this exact point up I get jumped upon! :( I'd have sold Suarez this summer and said so in May (got jumped on) I'd have sold Gerrard in summer 2010 (got jumped on) and so on. Its tough taking the long progressive view when everyone else wants it all and wants it now and damn the housekeeping.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Gordon Taylor (Chief Executive of the PFA) says that Suarez has the support of the PFA in relation to his contract dispute with Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Gordon Taylor (Chief Executive of the PFA) says that Suarez has the support of the PFA in relation to his contract dispute with Liverpool.

How important is this? Genuine question as I would imagine that would be their default position ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I would imagine that they'd have reviewed the contract before making a statement like that

Well not quite, they are facilitating

http://www.juicefm.com/news/sport/pfa-helping-suarez-in-his-bid-to-leave-liverpool/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I would imagine that they'd have reviewed the contract before making a statement like that

But their job is to support the player. Unless it's a ridiculous situation like biting or racism or something they will always support the player even if they realise that the player may end up losing the battle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

If they are breaching his contract (which I dont believe they are) could he not just leave for free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Would he miss the first 6 games if he went abroad ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

ebbsy wrote: »
    Would he miss the first 6 games if he went abroad ?

Doubt it, its an English FA ban so should only effect English FA games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

GavRedKing wrote: »

Do Madrid really want him though ? Perhaps too much bother.

And if they wanted him they would have shown their hand by now. Whether he likes it or not Arsenal is Suarez's only way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

GavRedKing wrote: »

I think it does, didnt that scum Bartons ban carry over in France at the start of last season

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

wawaman wrote: »
    I think it does, didnt that scum Bartons ban carry over in France at the start of last season

AFAIK that was because the French FA decided to enforce it. Exception rather than the rule.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Real Madrid will test that, if Bale doesn't leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Anyone wanna guess what suarez next move is?

8 days till the premiership starts though with his ban this saga could drag onto deadline day. So he has potentially 3 weeks of acting up.

Though as it stands, if arsenal don't increase the bid or no foreign club comes in for him would Liverpool fans have him back? Like Rooney I don't think he's burst all his bridges with the club, fans will not forget however but they are likely to forgive somewhat.

If he tries another stunt then you really have to question will another club want to spent 40 plus million on a guy that shows zero professionalism.

AS an arsenal fan I would love to see suarez act up, just so pool fans get their camuffins for sticking by him over the past few years when everyone else told you he's a bad egg. Id also wouldn't like suarez at arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Super-Rush wrote: »

Yeah that should be the end of it, but as we all know in the majority of cases the player will get his way. Wish it wasnt the way, but thats football for you. The transfer saga of Suarez wont be concluded till the transfer window shuts IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Yeah that should be the end of it, but as we all know in the majority of cases the player will get his way. Wish it wasnt the way, but thats football for you. The transfer saga of Suarez wont be concluded till the transfer window shuts IMO.

Really interested to see how this turns out now. Rare to hear a chairman/owner take this stance when the player so obviously wants to go and has stated it. If Suarez doesn't get his way, it's hard to know how he'll react or what he'll do. Lots of mileage in this story yet.

Suarez really is an odious little man for all his brilliance on the pitch. Shame to see Liverpool treated like he's treating them (and I say that as someone who detests Liverpool).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Really interested to see how this turns out now. Rare to hear a chairman/owner take this stance when the player so obviously wants to go and has stated it. If Suarez doesn't get his way, it's hard to know how he'll react or what he'll do. Lots of mileage in this story yet.

Suarez really is an odious little man for all his brilliance on the pitch. Shame to see Liverpool treated like he's treating them (and I say that as someone who detests Liverpool).

At this stage it depends how Suarez takes this. Does he knuckle down and concentrate on playing football or does he try a "stunt" to force things. Nightmare scenario for Liverpool is he takes a "chomp" out of another player when he returns to play and is banned for most of the season. Alternatively his presence around the team could be toxic and could start manifesting itself with the rest of the squad on the pitch.

Logically Liverpool should sell him for what they can get as soon as possible so they can get a replacement in because I believe his presence in the squad is a distraction and will effect morale. If this grinds on to the final day of the transfer window then I believe Liverpool will get burnt. I am an Arsenal fan and tbh I am of two minds as to whether I want him in the team I support. Yes he is a fantastic talent but looking at the damage he has done to the reputation of a great football team like Liverpool already and at the potential weakening of them at a crucial point in their development has me feeling very uncomfortable about Arsenal signing him especially given the support Liverpool have offered him during his "indiscretions". I also believe that striker is not a priority area for us, we need defensive cover and either a winger or a defensive midfielder more than this "marquee" signing.

I actually feel for Liverpool fans because Arsenal went through this last year with Van Persie, who also professed his love for the club and then forced through his sale. We were in a weaker position because we only had a year left on his contract so in reality we had to sell. We stood by Van Persie when he was injured for us and he was injured a lot so it did feel like a betrayal, but Suarez is in a different class as he has dragged a prestigious clubs name through the mud with his behaviour and actions on the pitch. Part of me would be delighted if Liverpool took a stand and let Suarez rot on the bench or in the reserves but in reality why let an asset depreciate when you can make a profit on him now. Unfortunately for both teams this saga is far from over, the vultures in the tabloid media will ensure that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Nice to see the fans taking this so well.

gB2GfFk.jpg

Advertisement