Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

freezing my homegrown veg

• 25-07-2013 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Ok so grew a lot more carrots then I needed. Pulled some of them earlier as need the space. Just wondered can i freeze the baby ones? If so what is the best way to do it. Do I blanch them first or just cut off the tops and double wrap them. I have way to many to do a dry storage. Any tips?? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I just chop them, lay them on a flat baking tray and put them in the freezer for a while. Once they go hard I just dump them into a ziplock bag. They stay separate doing it this way. Good method for most things, especially soft fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

Thanks for that Redser. Will this work for baby ones as well?some are very small but so tasty. will chop up the bigger ones as you said, but some are so small hardly worth cutting them up. can they be left whole or should I just grate them and use in carrot cake? needed to clear the bed, have sprouts and caulis that have to be planted. Kinda sorry didn't leave them, actually have more carrots to go in now as well, later variety for over the winter. didn't expect so many of the first batch to grow.So if anyone would like a few carrots......pulled 200 of them today. Like i said, planted extra as expected them to die off. Oh well plant less next year so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

:) a good problem to have. I'd just trim the ends, wash them if needs be, dry and freeze them on a tray like above. They can also be preserved in jars of salted water but I've never done it. Pickled too. A new hobby for you!

Advertisement