Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chauvinist Technician

Options
  • 25-07-2013 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am a female administrator working in the city center.
    Today I had a technician visit our store to fix a fault.
    From the second he began working he used profane language.
    While standing a few feet away from me, he told my male boss how thankful he was to be dealing with him instead of a woman, as women tend to lose the head. He spent the rest of his visit referring to me as 'the girl' as if I were an object rather than a human being.
    I find it unbelievable that a company would hire someone, whose job it is to deal with the public, who is a total sexist.
    That experience was a total eye opener for me. I am wondering did he somehow manage to time travel from 1950's or is misogynistic behavior like this a regular occurrence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Could be worst, you could be married to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

soundloco wrote: »
    I am a female administrator working in the city center.
    Today I had a technician visit our store to fix a fault.
    From the second he began working he used profane language.
    While standing a few feet away from me, he told my male boss how thankful he was to be dealing with him instead of a woman, as women tend to lose the head. He spent the rest of his visit referring to me as 'the girl' as if I were an object rather than a human being.
    I find it unbelievable that a company would hire someone, whose job it is to deal with the public, who is a total sexist.
    That experience was a total eye opener for me. I am wondering did he somehow manage to time travel from 1950's or is misogynistic behavior like this a regular occurrence?

I think it's fairly rare.

Did you talk to your manager about how the tech's behaviour impacted on you? He has a responsiblity to provide you with a safe workplace. And probably he doesn't like having someone swearing in his shop - not a good look for the customers.

Really, your company should make a formal complaint to the technician's company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 soundloco

I think it's fairly rare.

Did you talk to your manager about how the tech's behaviour impacted on you? He has a responsiblity to provide you with a safe workplace. And probably he doesn't like having someone swearing in his shop - not a good look for the customers.

Really, your company should make a formal complaint to the technician's company.
    I did speak to my manager and I feel it was dealt with correctly.
    A formal complaint has been made. I'm glad to see no one has responded saying its a common occurrence.
    Thank you for your comment as I have to admit I worried for a moment last night that I had over reacted, probably due to the shock.
    Your response reassures me that this was genuinely inappropriate behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

soundloco wrote: »
    Sounds like the tool was purposely poking you to the point where he'd hope you'd snap, and thus fulfil his "warning". Good on you for not snapping!

Advertisement