Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to charge for designing a site ?

• 25-07-2013 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have designed a site and I have no idea how to charge for it, the site is just html +css advertising a physio practice, theres no database behind it or anything. How much would people normally charge ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Let the arbitrary answers commence!

Charge as much as you can.

Tip for the future: Money first, design second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

KonFusion wrote: »
    Let the arbitrary answers commence!

Charge as much as you can.

Tip for the future: Money first, design second.

I'm only doing this as a favour, wont be doing it all the time, theres about 6 pages to it with info on the various treatments. ball park figure ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

threein99 wrote: »
    ... ball park figure ?
    Eleventeen. Definitely eleventeen.

There's no such thing as even a ball park figure for something like that. If it's using a standard theme with minimal customisation anything more than a few euro is overcharging and if it's a completely bespoke design with exceptional effort put into things like responsive design, top notch UI and UX, care and attention given to site architecture and CRO, etc. etc. it could be worth thousands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If its a favour. Free. Why are you expecting money.

... it could be worth thousands.

I didn't know Van Gogh did web design. These 6 pages must be something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Hi

I have designed a site and I have no idea how to charge for it, the site is just html +css advertising a physio practice, theres no database behind it or anything. How much would people normally charge ?

How many hours work did you put into it?
    What's your rate per hour [official and mates rates]?

Answer those and we'll come back with a price you can charge. if any.

beauf wrote: »
    There are plenty of single page designs that have (and will in the future) cost thousands too.

Please don't try and make smart comments when what is being said is a fact, not opinion, and it has even come with a clear explanation of 'why'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I guess that depends the position you're approaching the task from. If you're used to throwing a few animated GIFs and a frameset together with a Frontpage 2008 theme then €20 would probably cover it.

If you're going to spend two weeks putting together an original (as per PaulPinnacle's comments) then thousands wouldn't be outrageous.

As usual this place gives nothing only "hilarious" smart ass comments, thanks for nothing as per usual.

There are plenty of single page designs that have (and will in the future) cost thousands too.

Please don't try and make smart comments when what is being said is a fact, not opinion, and it has even come with a clear explanation of 'why'.

Unless you have something to suggest that 6 pages done as a favour for a physio are worth thousands, then its a completely irrelevant even ludicrous comparison.

• Advertisement

Unless you have something to suggest that 6 pages done as a favour for a physio are worth thousands, then its a completely irrelevant even ludicrous comparison.
    What comparison?

The comment made, at least when taken in context, was that we don't have any information available with which to answer the query with even a ballpark figure. That depending on the work carried out, the clients needs/wants/wishes, that the figure could potentially range from free to thousands and that we're in no position to even try and put a figure on the work carried out in this specific case.

I can't for the life of me see how anything said there is irrelevant, it's showing the poster that it all comes down to the specifics and there's a huge range in prices for this type of work ranging from the cheap and cheerful to the upper end of the market, or ludicrous, it's 100% factual.

Graham wrote: »
    I guess that depends the position you're approaching the task from. If you're used to throwing a few animated GIFs and a frameset together with a Frontpage 2008 theme then €20 would probably cover it.

If you're going to spend two weeks putting together an original (as per PaulPinnacle's comments) then thousands wouldn't be outrageous.

As KonFusion said, "charge as much as you can". Which may also be how much the client is willing to pay. If the client is only willing to pay for a days work, (maybe that's their budget) its doesn't matter that you've spent 2 weeks on it. You need to agree a contract or price before hand.

As KonFusion also said "Tip for the future: Money first, design second."

If you said you'd do something as a favour, then turn around and ask money for it, that's not going to be end well. The client may assume its free.

You said "I guess that depends the position you're approaching the task from. " I'd agree but from the point outlining how the work was initiated. Without that information no one can answer the OP query.

...we don't have any information available with which to answer the query with even a ballpark figure...

You do, it was done for a favour, basic 6 pages, a physio. The OP doesn't do web design for a living. How likely is it to be worth thousands.

The OP really has to clarify how did the issue of money arise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Little off topic, charge per day or charge per site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

How much money can he afford to hand over!?

clint_ew.gif

You do, it was done for a favour, basic 6 pages, a physio. The OP doesn't do web design for a living. How likely is it to be worth thousands.

Its not worth thousands obviously, the guy asked me to design a website for him, I have done that, he insists on paying for it, I don't have a clue how much to charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Its not worth thousands obviously, the guy asked me to design a website for him, I have done that, he insists on paying for it, I don't have a clue how much to charge.

How long did it take you? Hours, days or weeks?

RangeR wrote: »

I'm curious if it was 3 weeks, or 3 days what would you suggest charging in each case.

• Advertisement

RangeR wrote: »

I did it over a couple of weeks, a few hours here and there, I wouldn't really charge by the hour as I was learning as I went along, spent a good bit of time learning how to use gimp to make a decent background etc.

Assuming its being declared for tax purposes, and you spent 2~3 days on it, 200~600 depending on good the website is.

If you had to pay someone to paint your house or similar how much would that cost for 2~3 days work. If I was doing a favour for someone, unless it was a decent amount, I'd forget money, probably get them to buy me lunch, or a voucher for a meal, wine or something.

Assuming its being declared for tax purposes, and you spent 2~3 days on it, 200~600 depending on good the website is.

If you had to pay someone to paint your house or similar how much would that cost for 2~3 days work. If I was doing a favour for someone, unless it was a decent amount, I'd forget money, probably get them to buy me lunch, or a voucher for a meal, wine or something.

It wont be declared for tax purposes, I'm off college for the summer thats why I said I would do it. Favour was probably the wrong word to use, the guy knew I studied software development, and asked me could I design a site, I said I know the basics, he said would I have a go and if he liked what I came up he would be willing to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If I'm doing freelance work (which I don't do very often, so don't have a rigid process!), my thinking is more or less...

1. Decide on an hourly rate
    2. Have a guess at how many hours I think it will take
    3. Add on some time for inevitable phonecalls, changes after feedback, etc.
    4. Multiply
    5. Add on a yearly amount if you're going to be hosting it
    6. If there is going to be support and/or subsequent work, then decide on what terms and at what cost
    7. Round up if figures are uneven or look too low! :D
    8. ...
    9. Profit!

For your own purposes you might just pick an hourly rate and multiply by how long it took you, and leave it at that, or else round it down a bit if it's a favour or mates' rates.

I'd make sure you think about support, hosting and future work too. You don't want to get into the kind of situation where you're doing "small changes" here and there and you're not getting paid for it. Nor do you want a site stuck on your server until the end of time, and you not getting paid for it, because you didn't think to discuss hosting!

I highly recommend, whether you're a veteran or n00b, that everyone gives 'Design is a Job' a read.

I'd consider it mandatory reading. It addresses issues such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭LukeQuietus

People really shouldn;t be using animated gif for ANYTHING anymore. Even spinners and loading bars can be done way nicer with css3 animations and js fallbacks. Gifs...yuk!

Advertisement