Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Install bath or shower in house for rent

Options
  • 25-07-2013 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Completely renovating an old townhouse, and looking for ways to save space so I can have 3 bedrooms upstairs. One option is to have a shower rather than a bath.

In practice baths don't seem to get used much anyway, and with the introduction of water charges I don't see this changing. In terms of renting, it might rule out families with babies?.. but obviously this would only be a small part of the market.

Any thoughts?
    PJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Id rent a place that had a shower with no bath, but not vice versa. Not sure if that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

How much space do you plan on saving by removing the bath btw? If the choice is three shoe box sized bedroom or two decent sized ones then the latter is preferable tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭pj9999

djimi wrote: »
    How much space do you plan on saving by removing the bath btw? If the choice is three shoe box sized bedroom or two decent sized ones then the latter is preferable tbh.

I'll have 2 decent size bedrooms either way. At the moment the 3rd bedroom is what I'd call a boxroom- suitable for a single bed. I can make it less boxy if I make the bathroom smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It depends on who your likely rental are going to be to. Anybody with a child will want the bath as well as the shower. So you would limit the market by having no bath. That might not be a problem.

I put a shower in a house I did up for the same reason as you. People with kids just didn't want the place.

It was an ex copo house with the bathroom downstairs. I took room from the big bed room at the front and put in a bathroom upstairs. If you use a Sani Flow system you can pretty much put a shower and toilet anywhere. 10 years on and it hasn't given me any trouble. Worth considering if the house is similar.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You are limiting your rental appeal by not having a bath. Showers tend to be used in en-suite bathrooms, and the bath in the main bathroom. The amount of space you're going to save by having a shower rather than a bathroom, isn't massive- but it would make a big difference to a significant cadre of potential renters. Also- something to consider- regardless of water rates- many Irish and UK people simply like their baths. Full stop. It may not be rational, but its a simple fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I think it's changing OP, for the reasons you state. I know lots of people replacing baths with double showers (including myself). However for a rental I'd keep the bath. Maybe get a 3/4 length one?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    It depends on who your likely rental are going to be to. Anybody with a child will want the bath as well as the shower. So you would limit the market by having no bath. That might not be a problem....
    I don't think that advice can be bettered.

If you make the changes and end up with three double bedrooms, you can target the "young professionals" market. But if you end up with two doubles and a decent-sized single you might have the wrong mix - in effect, a family house minus one family amenity.

Advertisement