Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AltaVista RIP July 8 2013 :(

Options
  • 25-07-2013 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

unsure where to post this, comp tech seems right.

AltaVista one of the first search engines I used is gone, We became acquaintances in 2000 but under siege from more powerful search engines, I suppose it's downfall was being captured in 2003 by Yahoo & held in shackles since (1). I stumbled across this while on Wiki searching for a better browser than cough... bing & one that doesn't begin with G. Anyway.
    On July 8, 2013, the service was shut down by Yahoo
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltaVista

AltaVista's final words:
    "I won't be back" :(

(1) (my comment here is during eboom companies often bought out other companies to stamp out competition & further development, which has lead to the dis-service of a monopoly)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As its July 25th, did anyone even notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,453 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Tomk1 wrote: »
    I suppose it's downfall was being captured in 2003 by Yahoo & held in shackles since

Exactly the same thing happened with Flickr - it was bought by Yahoo when they had cash to splash and then they didn't know what to do with it. They spectacularly failed to integrate it with FB & Twitter which allowed newbie Instagram to come from nowhere and render their investment worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Was a great search engine for finding specific mp3s and video clips back in the heyday. Deserved a better send off than being clumped together with other projects being shut down.

If you gave Yahoo an unbreakable object, they'd find a way to break it. Flickr was such a missed oppertunity in regards to social network sites, though it's still a popular service on the likes of forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Google just wiped the floor with Altavista. Yes it was powerful when other search engines were total crap. One search on google showed just how bad search engines had been before it though. That's how google just completely took over in next to no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,453 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Flickr was such a missed oppertunity in regards to social network sites, though it's still a popular service on the likes of forums.

But commercially that's a disaster because if I upload a photo to Flickr and then link to it on a forum like boards, nobody gets to see the ads which are supposed to pay for the service which means that Flickr is probably heading in the direction of the internet graveyard just like Altavista.

• Advertisement
Advertisement