Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog barking at neghbour

• 25-07-2013 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭

When ever one of the neighbours on either side of us is outside he barks like mad at them. If he can see them he is grand with them.

I was just gone to the doctors and when I came back one of the kids told me the neighbour was knocking on the door. I went to them and they said the dog was driving him mad. I couldn't let him while I was gone for a few minutes was I had just washed him.

Is there anything I could do to stop him from barking at the neighbours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

are the neighbours dog lovers at all? could you tell them that the dog is only barking when he cant see them, and have the neighbour call the dogs name in a soothing voice over and over until the dog knows the neighbours voice and will stop barking. Maybe if you can be out in the garden when the neighbour is outside, and reassure the dog, stroking and soothing him, telling him 'its ok, its only x' ... You might also tell the neighbour, that the dog is only guarding his territory, and the neighbour doesnt have to worry that there will ever be anyone around his property without knowing it, if your dog is there to sound the alarm!?

good luck! Hope it doesnt become an issue with the neighbours....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭cena

aonb wrote: »
    are the neighbours dog lovers at all? could you tell them that the dog is only barking when he cant see them, and have the neighbour call the dogs name in a soothing voice over and over until the dog knows the neighbours voice and will stop barking. Maybe if you can be out in the garden when the neighbour is outside, and reassure the dog, stroking and soothing him, telling him 'its ok, its only x' ... You might also tell the neighbour, that the dog is only guarding his territory, and the neighbour doesnt have to worry that there will ever be anyone around his property without knowing it, if your dog is there to sound the alarm!?

I have spoken with one neighbour to just put him in the shed if we aren't their to stop him barking. They have told that they had a cross breed of a lab in the family home. My dog has gone over to the neighbour a few times when they have been out the front and no problem than.

With the other neighbour I have said that the dog must think ye are on his property. He just agreed with me.

The dog is ok when he can see them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

You could try an anti-barking device. One that emits a high pitched sound that only dogs can hear when they bark. My parents had to buy one recently as their neighbour has several yappy little dogs that were driving them nuts pretty much 24 hours a day and making it impossible to sleep. They tried reasoning with the woman but to avail, so being dog lovers themselves they'd prefer to try the anti-bark device rather than go down the route of making a complaint to the dog warden.

It's ridiculous that you can't even sit in your own garden without being yapped at and have it going on day and night as well. A couple of times when I called to see my parents I found myself leaving earlier than I'd intended, simply because I couldn't take the constant yapping of the dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,455 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Dog barks at 'trespasser'. 'Trespasser' goes away. In the dog's mind, this works most successfully with the postman. Score: Dog: 1 'Trespasser': 0. The trick is to let the dog know they aren't a trespasser.

Tell the neighbour to call the dog or stick their head over the fence. Also, try having the neighbour over to your house and invite them into the house and allow the dog to sniff them etc. The dog is then more likely to know who they are and that they are trustworthy.
    cena wrote: »
    I couldn't let him while I was gone for a few minutes was I had just washed him.
    You seem to be missing words here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Don't do that, it'll only reinforce the behaviour. All the dog knows is : when I bark at that noise I'll get strokes and attention. It'd be a great way of training your dog to bark at the neighbour though.

• Advertisement

You could try an anti-barking device. One that emits a high pitched sound that only dogs can hear when they bark. My parents had to buy one recently as their neighbour has several yappy little dogs that were driving them nuts pretty much 24 hours a day and making it impossible to sleep. They tried reasoning with the woman but to avail, so being dog lovers themselves they'd prefer to try the anti-bark device rather than go down the route of making a complaint to the dog warden.

It's ridiculous that you can't even sit in your own garden without being yapped at and have it going on day and night as well. A couple of times when I called to see my parents I found myself leaving earlier than I'd intended, simply because I couldn't take the constant yapping of the dogs.

He is quite when they aren, t out. How much was that thing? Your making me feel bad.

Victor wrote: »
    Dog barks at 'trespasser'. 'Trespasser' goes away. In the dog's mind, this works most successfully with the postman. Score: Dog: 1 'Trespasser': 0. The trick is to let the dog know they aren't a trespasser.

Tell the neighbour to call the dog or stick their head over the fence. Also, try having the neighbour over to your house and invite them into the house and allow the dog to sniff them etc. The dog is then more likely to know who they are and that they are trustworthy.
    You seem to be missing words here. :)
    I can see that. Stupid tablet

He is quite when they aren, t out. How much was that thing? Your making me feel bad.
    I'm not sure how much it cost, I think there's a wide range of them. I didn't mean to make you feel bad. The situation my parents had was ongoing whether the owner was there or not and was pretty much constant. A lot of it is down to a lack of training and boredom.

My Dad was telling me other neighbours have been complaining about the dogs going for them when she's walking them down the street, off the lead and she doesn't make any effort to control the dogs. It's a new development, with a mixture of the elderly and people with young children and I'd say it won't be long before someone makes a complaint to the dog warden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I've been both sides of the situation, my Mam's house had a dog next door that barked non-stop everytime she heard anyone in either side back garden. It drove me bonkers but my Mam wouldn't let me say anything to the neighbours, she wanted a 'peaceful life'. It all came to a head when she was dying of cancer in the summer time and we had to have the windows open and all you could hear was the dog barking. We were heading out to the car and the dog was in the front garden barking and the neighbour tried to exchange pleasantries but you literally couldn't hear her. My Mam got upset and gave out to the woman for the dog barking, and told her about the cancer and how the incessant barking was really disruptive. The neighbour took the dog in after that but I always wondered if she would have if my Mam hadn't been so ill.

The other side is a house I lived in was terraced so the back gardens were small and you could hear absolutely everything. One of my dogs would grumble and bark when she heard footsteps so I had to spend a couple of weeks saying 'leave it' and bringing her into the house. It took a while but she learned to recognise the neighbours footsteps and didn't bark. When they had visitors I'd have to start all over again but for the most part she learned to just bark if anyone came into our garden.

The kids in our place love seeing the dog out when I'm going down to the brothers. He's not a pest in anyway. Such a friendly car our lab is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

A lot of people say those anti-bark collars are cruel, the dog is just trying to 'speak' etc , but I live in an estate and anything to shut barking dogs up.
    The 'dawn chorus' here starts 'bout 4am with the jack russells a few doors down, then the German shepards join in. I am a very light sleeper and am only glad these dogs do not live right next door to me.

A few years ago I had to get the dog warden as a next-door neighbour was keeping a dog outside, and as the problem persisted for a year it was taken very seriously by the warden. Luckily managed to rehome the dog on a farm.

• Site Banned Posts: 106 ✭✭J.P.M

A neigbour should not have to do that at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

He's not a pest in anyway. Such a friendly car our lab is

I'm sure he's a lovely friendly dog but he is being a pest, by your own words his barking is aggrevating the neighbours
    kids told me the neighbour was knocking on the door. I went to them and they said the dog was driving him mad.

zef wrote: »
    A lot of people say those anti-bark collars are cruel, the dog is just trying to 'speak' etc , but I live in an estate and anything to shut barking dogs up.
    The 'dawn chorus' here starts 'bout 4am with the jack russells a few doors down, then the German shepards join in. I am a very light sleeper and am only glad these dogs do not live right next door to me.

A few years ago I had to get the dog warden as a next-door neighbour was keeping a dog outside, and as the problem persisted for a year it was taken very seriously by the warden. Luckily managed to rehome the dog on a farm.
    The anti-bark device my parents got isn't a collar, it's something they keep on their property and somehow works by emitting a high pitched sound only dogs can hear when they bark, so the idea is that they eventually stop. I must ask them if it's worked at all. Those shock collars are evil bloody things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

One of my dogs is a barker too - she barks when she's trying to get my other dog to play with her :rolleyes: - and I used the same approach as Too Many Dogs:
    I had to spend a couple of weeks saying 'leave it' and bringing her into the house.

It took a while for the penny to drop, but eventually she got the message and she barks a lot less now. At this stage when she starts up all I need to do is shake my finger at her and she stops... most of the time anyway. If she doesn't she gets brought inside and the back door is closed which, to my dogs, is the end of the world.

It'll take some patience and you'll need to spend plenty of time outside with your dog so you can catch him in the act, but if you work at it he'll get the message eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Ah right, Pumpkinseeds, not a dog owner myself and although I would like to be, I know in my heart it wouldn't work out in an estate in D.15- with 3 cats!
    So I don't know the difference between collars & devices, etc.
    I know the value of a decent nights sleep though, :)

Ah right, Pumpkinseeds, not a dog owner myself and although I would like to be, I know in my heart it wouldn't work out in an estate in D.15- with 3 cats!
    So I don't know the difference between collars & devices, etc.
    I know the value of a decent nights sleep though, :)
    Tell me about it, we've 3 cats ourselves and can't commit to a dog at the moment, our own neighbourhood is a nightmare with barking and roaming dogs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

The anti-bark device my parents got isn't a collar, it's something they keep on their property and somehow works by emitting a high pitched sound only dogs can hear when they bark, so the idea is that they eventually stop. I must ask them if it's worked at all. Those shock collars are evil bloody things.

My neighbours got one of these to stop their own dogs from barking... I'm guessing they'd had complaints because although the dogs are well cared for whilst the owners are home, boy oh boy do those dogs bark when left out in the garden whilst the owners are at work... On night shifts!
    I could hear the thing going off when their dogs barked, and whilst their dogs stopped barking momentarily at the first sound of the alarm, they always ended up barking, barking, barking through it, the alarm sounding all the while, completely redundant! And even worse, their dogs barked, the alarm went off, and my lovely quiet dogs got punished by their alarm while they were out in our own garden.
    Indeed, the alarm going off eventually caused my dogs to start barking, when it sounded.
    I don't hear it any more, I guess they got rid of it!
    So I don't have any time for them, from personal experience. It'd be interesting to know if your parents had a better experience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My dog used to do it as a puppy until he got used to the scent and voices of the neighbours. I made sure to chat to them when I had him outside so he could see them face to face and get used to them. He'll only bark now if there's a stranger in one of the gardens or behind the house - the neighbours don't have a problem with this because he's guarding their houses too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

Well that sounds exactly like the dogs {mod edit} living next door to me,,, can't say its the fault of the highland terrier, but the other jack russel dog {mod edit}.... Have been putting up with yapping for over a year and a half now, and have tried the anti barking device, but their dog is so stupid, out still continues... What makes ite worst is the owners encourage the dogs yapping and keep them out all night... No doubt they sleep with eat plugs in.. Will be making that call first thing tomorow, and yes I have a dog but have trained him and dont allow him to carry on like that....

Go easy on the wording there please.
    Do not respond to this edit on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

My "neighbours" 2 dogs bark & howl continuously - it is really pitiful to hear them ; it starts early am when they are out out for the whole day & goes on , all day. I've called around & been repeatedly told to f off . A few years back with a different bf in the house they used the collars & it worked perfectly & there was peace . Now they will do nothing & are happy to let the poor dogs scream & howl all day long,it's going to end up badly for those poor dogs. Hearing them howl their heads off all day to get in during the heat was just pitiful. What was worse -the owners were inside their house. Some people just shouldn't be let have pets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm having a slightly different problem. My two dogs are very quiet. At most Harley might let a bark at birds sitting on the back wall, but because they are never really out the back unsupervised it's not a problem.

Now however, my neighbour has taken to lifting her granddaughter up so the two of them can look over the fence at the dogs, which of course causes "stranger danger" barking, which results in me bringing the dog in. The dog has started to associate next door noise with someone hanging over the fence and is beginning to huff at the fence when people are just sitting chatting out there now, I think pre-empting the "intrusion". It's a pain in the neck because years of training him not to bark at noises in the estate are being ruined.

I'm dealing with it by calling him to me when he's huffing and distracting him or bringing him in. I don't know who will cop on first, the neighbour that she's upsetting the dog by hanging over the fence, or the dog that there is no need to bark at the neighbour hanging over the fence. My money is on the dog making the connection first. :(

OP can you make sure the dog is supervised out the back all the time so you can stop him barking as it happens? Barking is self rewarding, the more he does it, the more he's likely to do it. If you can break the pattern and don't allow him to do it now, with time you might be able to let him out in your garden unsupervised again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

Whispered wrote: »
    my neighbour has taken to lifting her granddaughter up so the two of them can look over the fence at the dogs, which of course causes "stranger danger" barking, which results in me bringing the dog in. The dog has started to associate next door noise with someone hanging over the fence and is beginning to huff at the fence when people are just sitting chatting out there now, I think pre-empting the "intrusion". It's a pain in the neck because years of training him not to bark at noises in the estate are being .

I would be having a word with your neighbour because he probably doesn't realise that he its the cause of it, do that you can then retrain him not to bark... .

Incidently I had a chat worth my neighbour this avo and asked him to stop the find barking at night as it its waking my 3 year old... Be of course denied that the did is barking and I assured him it was.. I suggested that I would take it further if the dog didnt stop... Only time will tell...

Advertisement