Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Mouse stopped working after Windows 8 update

Options
  • 25-07-2013 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

I'm running Windows 8 here and one of the automatic system updates has run and disabled use of my USB connected Mouse (manufacturer: Targus | model: AMU4201EUK)

When I search for drivers in device manager I'm told I'm using the latest drivers available and can't seem to find a driver for this specific mouse online.
    I'm using an external keyboard connected via USB and that's working without issue so I'm lost as to why the mouse would stop working. There's power going to the mouse as the LED inside it is lit up when plugged in. Windows makes its usual sounds when its connected and disconnected to.

This happened last week and to circumvent it I restored windows from the day before the update and it worked without issue. Then Windows would try install the updates again after a few days and the mouse would become unusable. I've lost the ability to rollback to that state now so I'm sure Windows has overwritten something in that update.

The Mouse uses Microsofts HID drivers which are up to date and I've confirmed the mouse works on other systems and the USB ports on my laptop are working as normal.

Any suggestions appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,904 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

How long have you been running 8?

I seem to recall when I first installed windows 8 there was some update I had to go back into safemode and disable, because it didn't digest well with my motherboard and it essentially killed my southbridge chipset or at least all of my USB controllers. If I hadn't just got done installing logmein before I did the reboot I would have been a bit fcuked.

if you still have keyboard control, try plugging the mouse into a different USB port. Windows still recognizes hardware as "new" when its not been in a port before. If that doesn't work, system restore to before the update and start manually installing each of the new updates one by one (Win+W > "Update" > "Install Optional Updates"). When you find the problematic update, just work around it, hide it, etc. - in my case I just skipped over the one problem update and after installing the others it never showed up as an update again.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

I've been using 8 since around November so no issue since last week.

Unfortunately I can't rollback to yesterday before the update anymore.

Only to this morning when all the updates were applied.

I've even tried uninstalling all of yesterdays updates manually from update history to no prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,904 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

does it happen with other mice or just this mouse? The USB work fine you said, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

No access to another mouse atm. Will try another tomorrow

Have updated to Windows 8.1 with no success either

Advertisement