Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting things to do with potatoes

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Make a patatas bravas OP.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1177/patatas-bravas

Good recipe here, can be eaten hot or cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

pommes anna is a nice alternative to gratin or dauphinoise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Last time I was making mashed potatoes when the potatoes were drying I fired up the frying pan, added the butter for the potatoes to the pan then added 2 cloves of garlic (minced), some finely chopped spring onion and some chives, left them fry for a short while in the butter, then poured all that from the pan into the potatoes, added some light seasoning and mashed it all up together, served with parma wrapped chicken brest stuffed with feta cheese and chives....really delicious and very simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Crash wrote: »
    Rosti:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/oct/13/how-to-cook-perfect-rosti

The secret to a good one is to use a smaller pan than you think you need, so its just slightly thicker than you'd go for - it needs to have a bit of depth to it.

Also, a cheat I started doing to speed this up (if you wait for parboiled spuds to fully cool, you need a lot more time) I put the spuds into cold water straight after parboiling, and then keep changing the water when it gets too warm - drops the temperature pretty fast and cuts the time down pretty fast.

I switch out 50% of the potato for celariac. Adds big flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

MadsL wrote: »
    I switch out 50% of the potato for celariac. Adds big flavour.

Agree 100% - apple is a good addition too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Viper_JB wrote: »
    Last time I was making mashed potatoes when the potatoes were drying I fired up the frying pan, added the butter for the potatoes to the pan then added 2 cloves of garlic (minced), some finely chopped spring onion and some chives, left them fry for a short while in the butter, then poured all that from the pan into the potatoes, added some light seasoning and mashed it all up together, served with parma wrapped chicken brest stuffed with feta cheese and chives....really delicious and very simple.

it works really well with leeks as well.

And if you add bacon as well it's the potatocalypse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Gbear wrote: »
    it works really well with leeks as well.

And if you add bacon as well it's the potatocalypse.

Hmmm just made a leek and potato soup last night, will try that with the left over leek me thinks :D....bacon you say :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

GastroBoy wrote: »
    Hasselback Potatoes !

They are really nice and a bit different, and you can pretty much add anything you like.

http://www.thecafesucrefarine.com/2013/02/hasselback-potatoes-w-garlic-lemon.html

I made these tonight and they are absolutely delicious. Not a scrap left on any plate. I found them easy to cut, I placed the potato on the counter between two boards and cut down as far as the boards and it worked perfectly. They look very impressive and will definitely be on the menu the next time I have someone round for dinner.
    Thanks Gastroboy

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

CHIPS!

Not sure if this is in the spirit of the thread but I found out how to make really good crispy on the outside fluffy on the inside chips and I’ve been wanting to share, especially since I threw me deep fat fryer out years ago.

1) Pre-heat your deep fat fryer on the lowest temperature, usually around 100 degrees Celsius.

2) Peel potatoes and cut into thick chunks or cubes. The thicker they are they less oil they’ll absorb, think of the chips you get with a steak in restaurants.

3) Cook chips for approximately ten minutes, test they are cook through with a fork.

4) Remove from fryer and leave to rest. They do look gross at this stage but have no fear. Ideally leave to go completely cold but if you just leave them to cool while you finish the rest of your meal it’s fine.

5) Whack the temperature of the fryer up to the highest setting.

6) When ready to serve put the chips back in to the fryer. They will start to crisp up and change to a nice colour takes between 2 to 4 minutes.

7) Drain on kitchen towel and serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Sauteed potatoes (or Roestkartoffeln, if you like :) )

Works best if the potatoes you have aren't too floury.

Slice the potatoes into thin slices (avout half a centimeter or so), and fry them in a little oil (just covering the base of the pan, they shouldn't swim in it!) on a low heat until they're cooked and nicely browned.
    Remove them from the pan and fry some sliced onion until it's starting to caramelise and brown, then add a handfull of carraway seeds.

Add the potatoes back to the pan and mix everything up well, season generously with salt and freshly ground pepper.

Best thing in the world with a slice of sourdough bread (some really good soda bread would work, too, I think), and 2 fried eggs, sunny side up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

Shenshen wrote: »
    Sauteed potatoes (or Roestkartoffeln, if you like :) )

Works best if the potatoes you have aren't too floury.

Slice the potatoes into thin slices (avout half a centimeter or so), and fry them in a little oil (just covering the base of the pan, they shouldn't swim in it!) on a low heat until they're cooked and nicely browned.
    Remove them from the pan and fry some sliced onion until it's starting to caramelise and brown, then as a handfull of carraway seeds.

Add the potatoes back to the pan and mix everything up well, season genrously with salt and freshly ground pepper.

Best thing in the world with a slice of sourdough bread (some really good soda bread would work, too, I think), and 2 fried eggs, sunny side up.

I love these, but haven't had success with them in the past. They either burned, or were undercooked. Other times they fell apart.
    Perhaps I'm using the wrong potato - can you recommend a potato type that will work?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

fjon wrote: »
    I love these, but haven't had success with them in the past. They either burned, or were undercooked. Other times they fell apart.
    Perhaps I'm using the wrong potato - can you recommend a potato type that will work?

Tricky question... back in Germany, I would have said Christa or Nicola. They cook sort of semi-solid, not as solid as a salad potato but nowhere near as floury as most potatoes I've come across in Ireland so far.

Here I'd probably use salad potatoes (I would peel them, though, so can be a lot of work if they're really tiny). And I'd keep the pan on the lowest possible setting and keep agitating it - stirring will cause them to break up more, so just keep shaking the pan. If you can do that chefy thing where the contents jump up out of the pan at the far end only to fold over and land back in the pan, all the better. When I try that, I usually end up with and empty pan and sliced potato everywhere ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭canadianwoman

Make potato soup. A few diced potatoes boiled in chicken broth. Add a bit of cream, salt and pepper to taste, a knob of butter and a slice of crusty bread.
    Simple and filling.

Advertisement