Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gross - flys and pet food

• 25-07-2013 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

So yeeaaaa

****ing flys are breeding on the cat food in the last few weeks. Damn weather has them all over the place.

Cat won't touch the food, knows they are there.

Tried covering the food but when we're not there and the cat comes in and nudges the cover off, the flys attack when the cat is gone.

What do?

Have thrown out oodles of food recently. Not cheap like.

Only the wet food and amber is a bit temperamental about eating dry stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, it's horrible, isn't it .. all those nasty little yellow fly eggs, yuck :( We've switched ours to dry food for that very reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

:/ Dry food isn't ideal, she's not that fond of it (but I say to herself that if the cats hungry enough, it will eat the dry stuff!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It's the worst, I know.

When I had my cats, I used to feed them only at night in this weather. They'd only have water, then have a feed at night. Not only did they appreciate the food more, but the flies wouldn't get near the food, therefore it wouldn't go off and I threw out far less.

The other thing worth trying is burning citronella candles. The smell repels flies, and you won't need to spray as many chemicals which has it's own hazards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Put it in a tupperware box or plastic bag and keep it in the fridge.

kylith wrote: »
    Put it in a tupperware box or plastic bag and keep it in the fridge.

That's fine, but it only partially solves the problem. You still have to get the food to room temp before giving it to the cat. Cats hate anything that's too hot or too cold...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

You can buy plastic lids that fit over tins now in most supermarkets. For food in bowls I actually suggest feeding wet food later at night and in smaller amounts. Cuts out fly infestation and the cats are usually happy to eat everything.

That's fine, but it only partially solves the problem. You still have to get the food to room temp before giving it to the cat. Cats hate anything that's too hot or too cold...

Well then, don't put it in the fridge. Putting it in a box, bag, or using a lid if it's a can, will stop flies getting to it.

kylith wrote: »
    Well then, don't put it in the fridge. Putting it in a box, bag, or using a lid if it's a can, will stop flies getting to it.

This should be addressed to the OP, should it not? I no longer have cats...

Perhaps, but I was directly replying to your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

To be honest, I only feed my dog once a day, and I give her the correct amount so she eats all of it up straight away most days. I feed in the evening around 7, I think its better for the dog than to leave her picking at it all day.

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm doing the same with my dog. He gets fed about 6.30, eats it all up, and I get the bowl to wash straight away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

How about an automatic feeder? The food would be spread out into the compartments and it'll play a sound and make noise so the cat will know the food is there?

Advertisement