Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym classes

Options
  • 25-07-2013 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi guys just looking for some info or recommendations on gym classes, I've never been to any but would like to get out there and do something. I rang the planet yesterday as I'm in the northside but the girl told me that they are pretty much full up most of the time so it didn't seem like a viable option to me... Was thinking spinning as I'm a newbie to the scene but not sure?? Any ideas?? And can I just go to any old spinning class or will I be lost if they rest are not beginners too... Just have to get the nerve to actually go on my own the first time I know once I go once I won't be bothered going alone afterwards but just nervous as I've never been to any before and don't want to go and be the clueless girl who doesn't know what to do or bring :) any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Check out K2C. Only up the road from planet. No membership fees and loads of classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Irishgirl12345

Thanks :) will defo check that out... ! Wish somewhere did beginners class though to combat first time nerves :/

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Just go! People are too busy being out of breath to worry about others, so no need to be nervous :-). The Metropole hotel leisure centre also has a good range of classes and they are very reasonably priced.

On the other side of the river, Sweat fitness are super, especially for spinning. Very knowledgeable and supportive staff, too.

I know haha I'm procrastinating :) ill make a go of it on Monday! Thanks for the info will look up all the websites over weekend and pick a place !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

The oriel in ballincollig runs "an intro to spinning" once a week. It might do it for the other classes too. It could be too far for you to do on a regular basis but might be worth a go just once to see if you like the type of class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

If the instructor is any way decent, you will be more than able to go to a regular indoor cycling/ spinning class. Everyone feels the same for their first class :)

There is no shortage of places in Cork, especially for indoor cycling. Once you find someone good at the job, which is much harder than finding a class which are everywhere, you will be sorted :)

Thanks guys, I'm take the plunge tomorrow evening and let ye know how I got on! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭sporina

wow there is no reason to be nervous.. people just go to the class and do their thing and leave..
    it will be a buzz..

are you generally fit?

bring a towel and water - thats all.. oh and your money.. and maybe a €1 for a locker if the gym has one..

There are loads of classes in cork - the mardyke do classes too - pay as you go.. they are excellent there..

let us know how you go on..

I went last night so glad I finally did it.... The instructor was very nice and I kept up for the most part.... My legs are in bits though today haha... Hopefully they will be better tomorrow so I can try another one!! :)

I'm not generally fit as I never really exercised apart from walking the dog! But I'm thin enough so never really needed too, just wanted to do classes to get fit and tone up and generally feel like Im doing something with myself some evenings :)

I went last night so glad I finally did it.... The instructor was very nice and I kept up for the most part.... My legs are in bits though today haha... Hopefully they will be better tomorrow so I can try another one!! :)

I'm not generally fit as I never really exercised apart from walking the dog! But I'm thin enough so never really needed too, just wanted to do classes to get fit and tone up and generally feel like Im doing something with myself some evenings :)

great. so what gym did you go to? class?

i went to sweatfitness last night - excellent spinning class. so professional.

• Advertisement

Where is sweat fitness??ill have to google that there now... I went up to leisure world up churchfield... The instructor now was very helpful and I thought she was good anyways so I will go back but I prob might try out other places and classes now too that I have a feel for it, I'm not sure what else apart from spinning I'd like though.. Any suggestions?? My only problem with spinning classes when I was researching them is only a handful does them every evening. Some gyms only do it once or twice a week so that's how I chose churchfield aas my first go because there was at least two classes to choose from after I finished work! :)

kettle bells is great!!!

check out sweat fitness on FB..

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Sweat fitness are on Victoria Road, near the Idle Hour bar. http://www.sweatfitness.ie/

Thanks guys for the replies... I don't have Facebook anymore ( I know that's a bit alien these days ha) I just checked out there website though looks like a great place a bit outta the way maybe for me but do they have parking??

Thanks guys for the replies... I don't have Facebook anymore ( I know that's a bit alien these days ha) I just checked out there website though looks like a great place a bit outta the way maybe for me but do they have parking??

its practically city centre.. there is lots of parking outside.. its just around the corner from the idle hour...

sporina wrote: »
    its practically city centre.. there is lots of parking outside.. its just around the corner from the idle hour...

Just wondering do they still do kettle bells or which class are they incorporated into? Looked at their time table and couldn't see any. I ended up doing some spinning classes and then started going to gym a few times but I would like to do some kettle bells now or some general tone up classes cardio mixed with weights ? :)

sweat fitness announced today on FB that they are closing down.. so sad and a major loss..

anyone know why they are closing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

sporina wrote: »
    sweat fitness announced today on FB that they are closing down.. so sad and a major loss..

anyone know why they are closing?

Just called today about a class- it was cancelled- there's only a skeleton staff there.
    Sad to see them go.:(

Advertisement