Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4th or 5th generation?

• 25-07-2013 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭

my daughter wants to buy 32gb 5th generation. l was told that they were not as good as the 4th generation and you can't get many apps for it. She wants it for playing lots of music, videos and apps.

Which one should she get and what gb?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

katy67 wrote: »
    my daughter wants to buy 32gb 5th generation. l was told that they were not as good as the 4th generation and you can't get many apps for it. She wants it for playing lots of music, videos and apps.

Which one should she get and what gb?:confused:

I'm guessing iPod touch. Get the most recent generation, it will future proof it for as long as possible. What you said to your daughter was wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

katy67 wrote: »
    l was told that they were not as good as the 4th generation and you can't get many apps for it.

I'm also assuming that you're talking about an iTouch (officially called an iPod Touch)

By any chance were you told that by someone trying to sell you a fourth generation model?

Both of the above statements are false but the chief reason for buying a G5 model is that it will be able to run the next version of the OS which is iOS7 while the G4 model will not.

This means that in the secondhand market, the price gap between the two models started to widen the day that iOS7 was announced and it will continue to widen as the availability of iOS7 gets closer.

Your daughter would probably be delighted with any iTouch today but if you give her a G4 model now, she won't speak to you after iOS7 becomes available which according to the Apple.ie website is 'this autumn'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭katy67

Sorry, yes its an ipod touch

I was told by my niece (who has the 4th ipod touch) this morn that she knows someone that has the 5th and was not happy with it, not as good etc.

I never told my daughter about it as l want to make sure and get the facts right. She is paying for it.

Maybe my niece is jealous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I think your niece is afraid of being upstaged if your daughter gets a 5th gen model, she is talking rubbish.

I have the G4 model and I've seen the G5 in the stores, the main cosmetic difference is that the G5 is longer (by 12mm) and bit thinner and the sides and rear are flat like an iPhone unlike the G4 iTouch which has curved edges around the back. There is an extra line of icons on the G5 display because the screen is bigger so you can have 5 (rows) x 4 (columns) for 20 apps on each G5 screen instead of 16 (4 x 4) on the G4.

The G5 uses the Apple A5 chip and has 512MB RAM (vs. the A4 chip and 256MB RAM on the G4) so apps will run faster.

As to apps, they both currently run iOS6 so the suggestion that one has better apps than the other is nonsense, today anything that can run on one can run on the other. That will change over time when apps become available that only run on iOS7 but for the moment there is zero difference between the two models in terms of app availability.

No question about it, the G5 is the one to go for unless money is a major issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭katy67

Thanks coylemj for the info and explaining the differences, it makes it alot easier to make up our own minds.

My daughter is going to buy the G5
    I agree with you about my niece, knowing her she probably get one too!

Cheers:):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

Lol at your niece. No way in hell is the 4th generation superior to the 5th gen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

To be honest I wouldn't buy either until September.

There are rumours of a new cheaper iPhone surfacing which is essentially an
    iPod touch with phone functionality. I wouldn't buy until I saw the prices of
    This new product as they are said to be similar price to the iPod touch.

Lets be honest an iPod is alright but the iPhone is with you everywhere you
    Go and you really get the use out of it moreso than an iPod.

Advertisement