Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa account [balance after death of cardholder]

Options
  • 25-07-2013 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

If a person dies owing a dept on a credit card does that persons estate have to pay the dept or does it die with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

The debt dies with them

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭heartofarebel

Thanks for that. I was sure it did. Just a friend of mine sister has recently died and he thought that he had to pay it back. He has very high morals and thought it was the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I doubt that advice is correct, unless there is some insurance policy in place on the credit card which will clear the debt then it looks like the estate is liable, your debts in general do not die with you unfortunately.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/debt/debts_after_death.html

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭heartofarebel

I found a thread on another site and by the look of it, it depends on which bank it's with. Some write it off and others persue it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The executor of the estate is duty-bound to pay all lawful debts and an outstanding balance on a credit card is a debt by any definition of the word.

A mortgage covered by a mortgage protection policy would be an example where a debt doesn't follow you to the grave and if you're below a certain age when you die, most credit union loans are written off but otherwise the loan is outstanding against the estate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement