Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water beside tunnel

• 25-07-2013 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Just wondering does anyone have information about the pond/lake beside the tunnel in limerick, just off the motor way. Specifically the piece of water on the immediate south-west of the motor way.

Things like water quality, dangerous currents, restrictions to use. Any info at all appreciated.

I know it's a small piece of water but I'm thinking of using it for water sports.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Property of Irish Cement Ltd. as far as I know. They own a huge area of land around there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think the lake may have been man made when the cement factory used to use local mud in the manufacturing of cement. The used to excavate mud from pontoons.

It may now be used in the filtering of water from/to the water treatment plant.

Based on nothing more than a hunch, I think you may be an unwelcome visitor there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

From what I have been told by a former worker, the area is quite deep in places as it was used by the factory for mud in making the cement. Irish Cement do own it so I would not just go in as the only access is through their land. Water quality was never good there but that was a long time ago and anything could be in that water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

Yes it is owned by Irish Cement and they had a dredger there many years ago which dredged the mud which was mainly Clay which with Limestone are the two major components of cement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

eoin95 wrote: »
    I know it's a small piece of water but I'm thinking of using it for water sports.

Brilliant idea eoin95, put your proposal together and present it to Irish Cement, they can only say Yes or No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Bunlicky lake, it's called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

boomerang wrote: »
    Bunlicky lake, it's called.

What fool came up with that name?, as others have said, it is there as a result of Irish Cement dredging operations which ceased in the 70's, and was always known as the pontoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Bunlicky is the name of the area

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

jbkenn wrote: »
    What fool came up with that name?

Bunlicky, from Bun Leice, "the bottom of the slab/pan/flat (land)"

http://www.logainm.ie/Viewer.aspx?text=bunlicky&streets=yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

jbkenn wrote: »
    What fool came up with that name?,

So what name would you have come up with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

The Big Water Hole

Loch Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

I used to fish it, some huge pike have been caught there over the years. I have not heard of anything been caught there since they put the tunnel through it. Plus I wouldnt go back there over the smell coming from the sewage plant beside it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

What kind of water sports?

I'd be doing a few DIY tests on that water before I even went to the bother of putting pen to paper OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Also called "The Pontoon"?

On a side note, beside all these motorways, you see pools of water neatly fenced off. There's one on the Annacotty roundabout for example. Why is this?

seachto7 wrote: »

On a side note, beside all these motorways, you see pools of water neatly fenced off. There's one on the Annacotty roundabout for example. Why is this?

Drainage to prevent flooding on the roadway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Do they do anything with the water. Would it not go stagnant?

Do they do anything with the water. Would it not go stagnant?

No idea. I've seen them remove bits of wildlife in the past. It's purpose is flood prevention. I can't imagine it's quality is of any concern to them.

I've been told that these are eco water purification system, they collect rainwater from the road ways, pass through reeeds and filtered off to a local stream.

No idea how true this is but it seems plausible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

phog wrote: »
    I've been told that these are eco water purification system, they collect rainwater from the road ways, pass through reeeds and filtered off to a local stream.

No idea how true this is but it seems plausible.

They are generally water attenuation lakes to hold the huge volume of water that can accumulate in hard surface areas, slowing down the rate of flow into streams and rivers.

Its a method used in sustainable urban drainage. The water percolates into the local distribution network at a controlled rate, reducing the risks of flooding.

Not sure if this is the purpose in this instance but you are right in your suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Sorry to derail the thread op but anyone know what the white (plastic looking) poles with the caps are located along the side of motorways, most prevalent on the Crusheen by pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

MugMugs wrote: »
    What kind of water sports?

I'd be doing a few DIY tests on that water before I even went to the bother of putting pen to paper OP.
    why!!!!!!! what type of diy water tests would you do, , that's bs, its a lovely lake , its clean water and its an animal sanctuary, that's some horse ****e your talking.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Beaver1 wrote: »
    why!!!!!!! what type of diy water tests would you do, , that's bs, its a lovely lake , its clean water and its an animal sanctuary, that's some horse ****e your talking.

There ye have it, folks! Straight from the horse beaver's mouth!

what does that add to the thread, are you writing drunk ****e. if you have an issue with me take it up on a pm. asshole, and your a moderator, shame on you.

btw its a man made lake made by cement factory and its also an animal /bird sanctuary as you made it your business to high light. ,

what does that add to the thread, are you writing drunk ****e. if you have an issue with me take it up on a pm. asshole, and your a moderator, shame on you.

Wow. I was only making a light-hearted joke there. Beavers, wet lands, etc. I had no idea this was supposed to be a humour-free zone. :( Moderating the Irish language forums has nothing to do with it either...

ABEasy wrote: »
    Sorry to derail the thread op but anyone know what the white (plastic looking) poles with the caps are located along the side of motorways, most prevalent on the Crusheen by pass.

Not sure if I know which ones you're talking about but the natural gas route to the west passes near Crusheen and the route is marked by pipes, about a 4 or 6 in pipe with a ^ cap.

why!!!!!!! what type of diy water tests would you do, ,

PH, Nitrate, Bacterial, Ammonia.
    that's bs, its a lovely lake , its clean water and its an animal sanctuary, that's some horse ****e your talking.
    I never contested the niceness of the lake nor have I stated any opinion or taken any view on the matter so I am at a loss as to why you've taken exception to my comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

If somebody is planning on running water sports in an area I'd image a water quality test would want to be one of the first things on the list? Don't take it as a slight on your good self.

• Advertisement
Advertisement