Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"DIY" VDSL2 modem, router

• 25-07-2013 8:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15

Hello,

My question to the board is: what makes/models of modems and/or modem routers have people been using with Vodafone/Eircom 50-70Mbps DSL?

I'm looking into the new vdsl options presented by Vodafone and Eircom. They'll undoubtedly end up sending me out a crap piece of locked-down kit to keep their support costs low, which is understandable.

However, I currently have my own wi-fi router (first one that hasn't burned out after 18 months...have had bad luck with D-Link and Belkin's modem/router/wi-fi combos over the last 12 years) bridged to a DLS router/modem, along with a separate 4-port switch.

I am looking to simplify my setup (before making it more complex by adding a dd-wrt router which will VPN into the US), ideally I'd find a VDSL2 modem/router with 8 GigE ports, but I would happily settle for a VDSL2 modem, and a separate 8-port router, or alternately just update to a 4-port modem/router and keep my existing switch.

Comments

Advertisement